Skip to content

[mod] Terror of the Skineater

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
Looking for even more quests for IWD:EE? Well, you're in the right thread!

The mod adds a short quest to Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition. It will lead you to a dark forest, a zone of death and despair. Will you find a way to hunt down the Skineater - a powerful monster that's terrorizing the area...? And will you uncover the truth about its origins?

In order to start the quest, talk to a man right after you enter Kuldahar - he's standing near the boxes outside the first shop. While the quest is available from the very start, you may need to gather some experience before you enter the new area.

Screenshot:
skin.jpg

That is the last quest mod I have for now. Note that this one is more fighting-oriented. It will present a short story, some new enemies to face, so it's quite different to Below & Below Inn.
ThacoBellmemoryronaldoThrasymachusmegamike15Ludwig_IIilduderinoMantis37AerakarGusinda

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited July 2020
    Well done and thanks! Need to start a new run
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    @ilduderino - thank you! :)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Gonna be real awkward when adventurers kick down the skineater's door, and it turns out he just REALLY likes pudding skins.
    megamike15Isewein
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    so do any of these new quest mods have banters/interjects with the new npc mods? or are they silent?
    As far as I remember, I made 2-3 of my NPCs say something during the Our Lady Dreamless quest. I guess it would be weird if all of them commented on that. It's not like every NPC comments on meeting Firkraag in BG2. There may be some talks added for other NPCs and quests later, in their new releases, but I may need to update other mods first. To be honest, I also had an idea for the 4th quest, but I'm not sure I have enough energy for that right now.
    ilduderinomegamike15
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    Played through this quest yesterday and quite enjoyed it. Thanks!
    @Thrasymachus - thank you! I wanted to provide all kind of mods: a usual quest with 2 ways of solving the problem (Tale of Our Lady Dreamless), one quest/area with less/no fights, with shops and normal people (Below & Below Inn) and the usual "kill the monsters" quest (Terror of the Skineater). I saw that you enjoyed B&B, I guess this one is more combat-oriented, but I always liked (story-wise) that part of IWD2 and thought of bringing back those woods and... well, a certain character that is mentioned in the mod. Autor of the letter you may have found. You probably know what I'm talking about :)
    megamike15Thrasymachus
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    ... well, a certain character that is mentioned in the mod. Autor of the letter you may have found. You probably know what I'm talking about :)

Yes, I noticed that! Nice, subtle tie to IWD2. :)
    New version is up! Version 1.1 includes a French translation by Deratiseur.
    ThacoBell
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 244
    I've got a question.

Are the new Icewind Dale NPCs having some extra content/banters in those quest mods?

And if so then should they be installed before or after the quest mods?

Thanks in advance :)
    Some of my NPCs may react to Tale of Our Lady Dreamless content. They will get extra crossmod content later (area reactions, for example), but it's not there just yet.

Their usual talks (timered, PIDs, etc) still may happen there, just as anywhere else.

Install order does not matter. Install them as you please :)
    Mothor
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Mothor In general, quest mods should be the first mods installed.
    Mothor
  • pi4tpi4t Member Posts: 5
    I seem to be either stuck in a glitch, or just confused about how to proceed. I wandered around the forest defeating various enemies, and was told that I could feel the forest had changed. But I don't know where to go from there. I've walked through all the areas in the forest, and haven't found the skineater. I think the NPC said something about bone keys, but there's nothing like that on the enemies I fought so I'm guessing that's metaphorical? I can't check, since he won't repeat it now.

Am I missing something, or should something have happened by now?
    When all enemies are defeated and you get the info about that something has changed, you should find a place where there was a pile of bones. They should disappear and there should be a small entrance out there. You should get inside and face your enemy.
  • pi4tpi4t Member Posts: 5
    Ah, got it. Thanks. I completed the mod without any further difficulty.
    I just about managed to kill the skineater while spending all my healing and with several characters on low health...and then it went into phase 2. I had to run away and rest in Kuldahar before finishing it off.

The four worms were tricky, but I now had full spell slots and was able to win without too much trouble. The game didn't update until I went back down into the burrow, where I found another skineater waiting for me. Oddly, it seemed to die far more easily than the original one. After I killed it, the journal updated.

There seem to be a few other weird things going on with the forest, which might or might not be intentional for atmosphere? I can't rest - I'm getting the "find an inn or rest outside" message. A character suddenly started taking poison damage ticks and I had to leave the area to make them go away. And most weird of all, when my main character dies I'm being forced to restart the game BG style.

Any of these might be caused by other mods, of course, but they seem to all be happening within Skineater's locations.
    Thanks! Will investigate things you reported :)
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 482
    I also finished this one yesterday, I really like the hunting in the woods, it reminded me of a IWD2 part (didn't play it for years now so my memory is maybe blurred).
    I did it at level 7-8 and the final fight wasn't too difficult. I liked the final twist. :)
    Just a suggestion maybe :
    put the letter elsewhere in the woods so it not so easy to find it ?
    The change would require restructuring, as players would need to get the chance to tell the quest-giver that they found information that clashes with what was said upon picking the quest. So I don't think I'll change it, as the mod is traified, translated and change would be a pain in the back, but I understand where that comes from.
    I also finished this one yesterday, I really like the hunting in the woods, it reminded me of a IWD2 part (didn't play it for years now so my memory is maybe blurred).
    Yep! I on purpose used that and a certain name mentioned in the letter, those two stories are actually connected :) A little something for those that played both IWD and IWD2 :)
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    I published a walkthrough on the wiki, that anyone can edit:

Terror of the Skineater walkthrough
  • acebojanglesacebojangles Member Posts: 3
    I killed all of the enemies,
    but that doesn't seem to have triggered the notification to move to the cave. Any idea on how to fix that? I wonder if I screwed things up by leaving the area between battles.
    No, that certainly should not break anything. The script is very simple so there's not much to break, so I don't know what may be the reason. Check the walkthrough above to make sure you've got all of them. I'm pasting the script below to confirm it's not much else, but killing the enemies.
    IF
    Dead("L#TSARCH")
    Dead("L#TSBGUA")
    Dead("L#TSBREA")
    Dead("L#TSBWID")
    Dead("L#TSSKLL")
    Dead("L#TSSKUL")
    Dead("L#TSSWOR")
    Dead("L#TSWBON")
    Global("L#TSUnlockDoor","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    TriggerActivation("ENTER",TRUE)
    AmbientActivate("Animation1",FALSE)
    DisplayStringHead(Player1,@0 /* You can feel something in the forest has changed. */)
    SetGlobal("L#TSUnlockDoor","GLOBAL",1)
    END