Skip to content

Icewind Dale 2: Enhanced Edition is almost here!

Comments

• GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    I would be keen to participate, is it possible to beta test on a mac without installing bootcamp or parallels?
  • deratiseurderatiseur Member Posts: 227
    Still no Weapon proficiency and specialization with fist for warrior 4 / monk x characters ?
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    deratiseur wrote: »
    Still no Weapon proficiency and specialization with fist for warrior 4 / monk x characters ?

It's there, merged together with the small blades proficiency.
    semiticgoddessrami
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    I'm out of the loop recently but och my lord ... this is wonderful! I can finally play IWD2 second time! Many thanks for everyone involved!
    Rik_Kirtaniyaashafetovrami
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Small blades/touch weapons also applies to shapeshifted weapons! Many of the new changes were spearheaded by @OlvynChuru, so I'm actually learning a lot of new stuff as I test the game. It's a lot of fun.

Thanks to a couple of refactors by @Bubb, the beta is almost completely crash-free these days.
    RodrianRik_KirtaniyaOlvynChuru
  • VerthissVerthiss Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2020
    Hi!
    I am very excited about the mod and would like to participate in testing (please send me the link to the beta version and a place where you want to have the bugs reported), and have a couple of questions:
    1. What resolution do you recommend playing at? It's been years and years since I booted IWD2 so I'm a little out of the loop. Is widescreen mod/ UI fix combo still working, and if so, does IWD2:EE support custom resolutions? I just tried installing them on vanilla IWD2 but they don't seem to work on my 1440p monitor.
    2. Do you recommend installing/avoiding any other mods when IWD2:EE is installed? Maybe you need to test the compatibility with some other popular IWD2 mods? I'm particilarly interested in cdtweaks for infinite item stacking and Light of Selune as I've heard it adds a lot of cool stuff to the druid class.
    3. Do you recommend having ddraw fix installed? It seems like it slows down IWD2 to the point where uninstalling it and having little fog of war glitches (wrong shape at the edges) seems like a good trade-off for the restored smoothness.
    4. Is it ok to play in a language other than English while testing? I'm fine with having some item and spell descriptions in English, but I always enjoyed VO and dialogs in my mother language. In fact, having a mix of languages might make it easier for me to spot the bugs as I will see which things were changed, provided playing in language other than english won't crash my game :pensive:
  • AerieAerie Member Posts: 226
    I will be happy to test on one condition. That I am put into the game.
    RodrianSharGuidesMyHandrami
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    and she had never started adventuring until bg 2 anyways.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    And as a cleric/mage in 3rd Edition you’d be very underpowered
    @Verthiss:

1. IWD2EE works with the widescreen mod, which needs to be installed before EE. I don't use the mod but some of the other testers do.
    2. CDTweaks' infinite item stacking should be fine. It would need to be installed after EE in order to take effect. Light of Selune will be at least partially incompatible; whichever mod was installed last would likely override some of the components of the other. Notably, installing LoS after EE should make many EE-exclusive spells inaccessible. Item availability may also change.
    3. I am unsure if ddrawfix is required or not, but it's recommended. If it appears to be causing slowdowns, you might ask in the Discord.
    4. IWD2EE should work with non-English installs even though it currently has no translations available. One of our testers is playing in the Russian version.

I'm sending you a PM about getting started.
    Aedan
  • AerieAerie Member Posts: 226
    Verthiss wrote: »
    Sorry Aerie but you are probably around 50 years old when IWD2 action takes place and that's far too young for an avariel to start adventuring.

Ouch.
    megamike15 wrote: »
    and she had never started adventuring until bg 2 anyways.

Who told you that? Whoever did was a liar.
  • VasGVasG Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I can say this was the best thing that I heard since this pandemic problem started.
    I am literally dying to see IWD2 with proper visual effects and extra things as it was a great game.
    How can I test your beta edition?
    Many many Thanks!
    I'll send you a PM.
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    Awesome stuff! This modification is going to be a real game changer - literally!
    Where can we donate gold to support you guys? :smiley:
    Also, I have a question regarding special dialog choices - would it even be possible in the Infinity Engine games, to include in the dialog tree, all of the dialog options available for the conversation?
    With ability / class requirements in brackets at the end of the choice, and then the ones that your character could not be able to choose from, would be just faded out, like for example in Shadowrun games from Harebrained Schemes.
    Anyway, thank you for what you're all doing :smile:
    Rik_KirtaniyaVerthissProont
  • ÆmrysÆmrys Member Posts: 125
    I would love to beta test as well.
  • JarinexJarinex Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2020
    You may have answered this already and if you have I apologize. I was curious if this will still play well with some of the mods that exist such as Light of Selune, Tweaks for IWD2, or Tactics4IWD2? Or are those integrated in as changes?

I'm super happy to see this has become a fully fledged project. I look forward to the final product.
    OlvynChuru
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @Jarinex Tactics4IWD2 is not compatible with IWD2EE, since IWD2EE already modifies the AI of almost all the enemies in the game. I'm not sure about Light of Selune.

As for IWD2-Ease (aka "Tweaks for IWD2"), some components are compatible with IWD2EE but others aren't. Here's a list of which IWD2-Ease components are compatible and which aren't. I'll put this in the readme.
    Bugfixes:
    Unnecessary as IWD2EE should already fix these bugs.

Infinite Stacking:
    Compatible.

Non-Combat War Chant of Sith:
    Unnecessary as IWD2EE already allows War Chant of Sith outside of combat.

Improved Holy Avenger:
    Incompatible as IWD2EE already has its own version of the Holy Avenger.

Two-Handed Holy Avenger:
    Compatible (unlike the previous component, this just patches the Holy Avenger rather than overwriting it).

No Fists for Iron Body:
    Unnecessary as IWD2EE already allows you to use weapons while Iron Body is active.

Deep Gnome Starting XP:
    Unnecessary as IWD2EE already revises the level adjustment/ECL system and fixes this bug.

Improved Moonblades:
    Unnecessary as IWD2EE already revises the Moonblades in a similar way.

Improved Monk Fists:
    Unnecessary as IWD2EE already allows Monk Fists to be used with Weapon Finesse.

Collector's Edition Bonus Items:
    Unnecessary as IWD2EE already adds these items to the game.

No Alignment Class Restrictions:
    Unnecessary as IWD2EE already has an option to loosen alignment class restrictions.

Magic Weapon Finesse:
    Unnecessary as IWD2EE already allows certain conjured weapons to be used with Weapon Finesse.

Always Get Some XP Per Kill:
    Unnecessary as IWD2EE already includes components that make the game's XP system more reasonable.

Some Heart of Fury Items in Normal Mode:
    Compatible, but this component could potentially be unbalanced.

Stronger Bastard Swords:
    Incompatible, as IWD2EE already improves bastard swords (the stronger bastard swords from the component are also ridiculously overpowered - you can buy a bastard sword in Targos that deals +5d6 acid damage per hit!).

All Items Identified:
    Compatible.

Non-Linear Teleporting:
    Compatible.

Armor and Shields Provide Damage Resistance:
    Incompatible with IWD2EE's component that also gives armor and shields damage resistance.

Include Forgotten Armor and Shields:
    Incompatible as IWD2EE already adds most of these items to the game (this component is also unbalanced, as it hands you multiple +3 items for free in the prologue!).

Additional Druid Spells:
    Unnecessary as IWD2EE already gives druids a lot of new spells, including many of the same spells that this component gives them.

Alternate Shapeshifting:
    Incompatible as IWD2EE already revises druid shapeshifting.

Skip Battle Square:
    Unnecessary as IWD2EE already includes a component that greatly reduces the amount of time needed to earn the main Battle Square rewards.

Randomized Treasure:
    Compatible, but not recommended, as it could potentially hand you an overpowered weapon early on.
    Jarinexsemiticgoddessrami
  • JarinexJarinex Member Posts: 46
    Hmmm that’s a shame, but hopefully the changes you describe are substantial enough that those mods won’t be as necessary.
  • DamnedReaperDamnedReaper Member Posts: 2
    Hi! Do you plan to fix the issues of compatibility and performance the game has with win 10 and higher resolutions as well?
    @DamnedReaper: What issues with Windows 10 compatibility? The GoG version is already fully stable on recent systems to my knowledge; only the original CD version has trouble operating on Windows 10.
    megamike15ThacoBellrami
  • DamnedReaperDamnedReaper Member Posts: 2
    semiticgod wrote: »
    @DamnedReaper: What issues with Windows 10 compatibility? The GoG version is already fully stable on recent systems to my knowledge; only the original CD version has trouble operating on Windows 10.

Unfortunately nope, there's still several issues, like frame rate drops and flickering map fog. With the ddraw wrapper you can avoid fps drops but still get the flickering at least for me. So although it's playable there are still problems.
    @semiticgod: Odd for ddrawfix to not help with the flickering. I do know Bubb has fixed a vanilla bug that used to cause frame drops in the goblin warrens.
  • emxdemxd Member Posts: 6
    The flickering probably has to do with the pattern that's used to represent fog of war. I don't think ddraw fix is going to help you i.e. -> http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php If you scroll, the boxes flicker. You can observe something similiar in the IE games.
  • zwadekzwadek Member Posts: 156
    Hey, that's amazing work on the game! Wish you all the best!
    I've got two questions:
    1. Are you able to estimate when the mod will be ready for public? I'm not asking about exact date - rather should I prepare for 2 month of excited waiting or maybe half year? ?
    2. Are the bonuses from kensei replacing the regular fighter bonuses (+ to hit and damage) or will my damage output increase every 3 AND every 5 levels?
    antisthenes
    @zwadek: Probably more than a couple months, probably less than half a year.

The Kensai bonuses stack with a fighter's normal bonuses. Thus, a level 10 fighter with the Kensei feat would have +3 to hit and +5 to damage, while a level 10 fighter without the feat would have +2 to damage.
  • GreggTheGrimGreggTheGrim Member Posts: 1
    If you still need someone to test IWD2EE then I can try.
    I am from Russia if that matters anything.
    And I would probably check Russian language compatibility if it is possible.
    Hafir
This discussion has been closed.