Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    mlnevese wrote: »
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »
    Hear me out. If you mix some of the letters around in ''The Awesome'' you get ''MOW''. The letter ''M'' could stand for Mice. Mice.

Beamdog's next game is about mice! You heard it here first.

You're chilling with friends in the Inn's basement when a wild group of level 1 adventurers appear. Roll initiative!

A complete overhaul of the current Infinity Engine EE's where you play as the bad guys... starting with those rats. Starring roles for Noober and Habib Khalid Achmed Allafif.
    BlackbɨrdmlneveseBalrog99
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Sjerrie wrote: »
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »
    Hear me out. If you mix some of the letters around in ''The Awesome'' you get ''MOW''. The letter ''M'' could stand for Mice. Mice.

Beamdog's next game is about mice! You heard it here first.

You're chilling with friends in the Inn's basement when a wild group of level 1 adventurers appear. Roll initiative!

A complete overhaul of the current Infinity Engine EE's where you play as the bad guys... starting with those rats. Starring roles for Noober and Habib Khalid Achmed Allafif.

Hey! Don't forget that guy who tries to sell you the Planar Sphere.
    Sjerriemlnevese
    dunbar wrote: »
    You can also make "MEOW" so it could be about cats and mice.

Now we're talking! A complete overhaul of any plans for ''The Awesome'', because this is the awesome.
    Sjerriemlnevesedunbar
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Maple Willow Aspen is actually the final boss. Her FINAL FOOOORM is that of a dryad-treant chimera.
    SjerriemlneveseBlackbɨrd
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    dunbar wrote: »
    You can also make "MEOW" so it could be about cats and mice.

Confirmed, Beamdog are assisting in the development of Small Saga.
    mlnevese
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    "The studio is currently working on a new project, which Oster vaguely calls "The Awesome," and the team is expanding Axis and Allies 1942 Online. The focus is on expanding the studio "to do bigger and better things," while existing games continue to find support."
    Seriously man, shouldn't we be getting some tidbits of information about this game by now? I mean, at least if it is an RPG, and perhaps its genre? It's been like a century since we learned a game was in the works!

Also, can you enlighten me more on the line about AAO?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    kanisatha wrote: »
    "The studio is currently working on a new project, which Oster vaguely calls "The Awesome," and the team is expanding Axis and Allies 1942 Online. The focus is on expanding the studio "to do bigger and better things," while existing games continue to find support."
    Seriously man, shouldn't we be getting some tidbits of information about this game by now? I mean, at least if it is an RPG, and perhaps its genre? It's been like a century since we learned a game was in the works!

Trent on whether we can share anything about that project:

As for Axis & Allies, it's a digital adaptation of a tabletop strategy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_&_Allies

You can get into Early Access on Steam or by purchasing a Steam key directly at https://axisandalliesonline.com/

Trent on whether we can share anything about that project:

As for Axis & Allies, it's a digital adaptation of a tabletop strategy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_&_Allies

You can get into Early Access on Steam or by purchasing a Steam key directly at https://axisandalliesonline.com/

Re. AAO, yes I know the game. It's on my Steam wishlist. ;) I'm asking about the line in the article about the game, where Trent is talking about expanding AAO. What does he mean there?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    New platforms maybe? Time will tell. ;)
    New platforms? What actually new platforms could there possibly be?
    Sjerrie wrote: »
    New platforms? What actually new platforms could there possibly be?

PS5?
    I've heard it will be ported to a pregnancy test, ala Doom (that's a thing).
    mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I particularly would like to see Commodore 64 support :wink:
    Balrog99Sjerrie
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    I particularly would like to see Commodore 64 support :wink:

What, no Amiga support?
    SjerrieThacoBellmlnevese
    See, @JuliusBorisov, *this* is what happens when we have no information on the new game to talk about. We descend into madness. Does @TrentOster really want that on his conscience? ;)
    mlneveseSjerrieBalrog99Son_of_Imoen
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    See, @JuliusBorisov, *this* is what happens when we have no information on the new game to talk about. We descend into madness. Does @TrentOster really want that on his conscience? ;)

At the Mountains of Madness game by Beamdog confirmed!
    kanisathamlneveseThacoBell
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I thought madness was the standard forum setting... :)

It's definitely my standard setting :)
    mlneveseThacoBell
    Aron wrote: »
    Maybe Beamdog could consider to make an Icewind Dale III? That would be something to look forward to! :smile:
    This is what I suggested a long time ago. But I think ultimately, I am very tired of how WotC treats game developers, and I'm also very tired of the archaic D20 system, and for these reasons prefer that Beamdog (and any other developer) create its own new IP, especially one that is as far removed from a dice-rolling/random chance-based system as possible.
    edited September 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Maybe Beamdog could consider to make an Icewind Dale III? That would be something to look forward to! :smile:

If npcs and banter/interjections are included, I'm in!

Considering the recent 'Rime of the Frost Maiden' sourcebook, WotC would probably want quite a bit of directional control, or at least leave it in the hands of a proven original RPG capable studio with AAA-potential. (Absolutely no offense to BeamDog <3 )

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a sidenote in Larian's contract hinting at this possibility should BG3 perform well.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    edited September 2020

Yeah I've argued in the past that an Icewind Dale 3 might be more feasible.
    It has less of that Baldurs Gate prestige for fans to get upset over, the plot is more open to be whatever it wants, it was pretty much what The Black Hound canceled project was so there is data on how it should have played out to work with if needed.

I guess the only issue is if it was worth spending money on. Maybe it would have been one of their options and they decided to go with the cancelled Planescape Torment 2 which is just the biggest tragedy ever :(
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    icewind dale is very niche. i don't see a 3rd game being a wise investment especially as 1 and 2 only became interesting to me with their npc mods which are not vanilla content.

the last time we had a iwd like game was Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir. which i believe was the worst selling of the expansions and is mostly considered the weakest part of the neverwinter nights series.
    ThacoBell
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Just because it's Icewind Dale 3 doesn't mean it has to have no NPC's, be combat focused etc. Black Hound was supposed to be Icewind Dale 3 and from what we know about it it sounds like it was to be much more in the vein of Baldurs Gate being story focused and including companions. Even Icewind Dale 2 was better in this regard providing a deeper narrative than before.

The fact that it is niche would mean Beamdog might have had a bit of free reign with it. Whereas if they had picked up Baldurs Gate 3 there's a good chance they would be heavily managed as to what story they can tell. I'm fairly certain Larian is experiencing this to some extent, with the thing being a sequel to Ascent into Avernus for starters could have been Wizards suggestion or push. However big or small Wizards knows BG is their big property and will want final say on things.

Icewind Dale might have been more manageable for Beamdog and when I say Icewind Dale simply a crpg set in the Dales it all it had to be to start with. There's tons of room to make it whatever you want afterwards.
    Sjerrie
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    There's also the reality that WotC seem to have dropped Beamdog. We know they can't add any new content to the EEs, but that might extend further.
    SjerrieBlackbɨrdRik_Kirtaniya