Skip to content

[MOD] Afaaq, the Djinni Companion for BG2 and BG2:EE released

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    edited July 2019
    Sergio wrote: »
    2) I need to tap the power of the lich skull. How would I do that?
    Talk to Karim again about Malik's offer to get some pointers where to look for these instructions. Or open the spoiler tag if you don't want to find it out on your own:
    Travel to Watcher's Keep. Enter the upper floor and talk to the archivist. He should tell you the general location of the script. Location is randomized, so I can't give you more specific advice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited July 2019
    The skull is just one option to please the efreet leader. Your talk with Karim should have revealed several more options to complete the task.
    You can also offer the heart of a demon prince or parts of the essence of your (or Imoen's) soul.

There is also the evil path, which lets you finish the quest without offering anything at all from your possession.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    argent77 wrote: »
    • Added compatibility with jastey's mod "Imoen 4 Ever".
    Thank you for this! B)

• kaja8kaja8 Member Posts: 52
    edited November 2019
    I encountered a problem and could use your help. After recruiting Afaaq I returned to Guildmistress Busya but she didn't react to me killing the genies and still asked me to finish the quest. I spoke to Logan Coprith and in the animation he said that I also dealt with the genie situation. The merchants outside still can't sell me anything because of the genies. I returned to Guildmistress Busya and this time there was the dialoge option that I captured the Dao. My problem is that the merchants still think they have genie problems and won't sell me anything. Is there some way to fix that?

Edit: nvm, I just used the console to get the items I would normally buy.
    Post edited by kaja8 on
    @kaja8 It sounds like a game variable hasn't been set correctly.

To fix it, enter the following command into the debug console and check whether it's set to 1:
    C:GetGlobal("geniesgone","GLOBAL")

If it's set to 0 or not set at all then enter this command:
    C:SetGlobal("geniesgone","GLOBAL",1)

• kaja8kaja8 Member Posts: 52
    @argent77 it worked! Thanks a lot.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited December 2019
    So far I like Afaaq better than the vast majority of joinable NPC mods out there, many of which feature characters that take up a party slot while dragging down the game experience. Afaaq is very tastefully done and doesn't even take up a slot, what's not to love? Kudos!
    The only downside is I got him fairly late in the game and probably missed some content/interactions; if I'd known how fun he is I'd have done the appropriate quest much earlier... SCS makes a certain type of baddie
    the Trademeet rakshasa
    especially dangerous for noreload runs early game so I've tended to delay that area in my runs. Definitely feel like the reward was hard won.
    Post edited by ithildurnew on
    @ithildurnew You'll miss one quest if you get him after the Underdark chapter, which has some minor repercussions on how a certain event during the hell trials plays out. Apart from that, you won't miss anything else. The ToB content of the mod shouldn't be affected by it.
    New release: Afaaq, the Djinni Companion 2.8

Changes in v2.8:
    • Added French translation (many thanks to @deratiseur ).
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited January 2020
    Quite an enjoyable mod, @argent77 ... and I'm very picky with my mods. It's a real gem.
  • crumbcrumb Member Posts: 21
    I can't find the 4th wardstone to get in the temple. I don't know what to do with the altar though. I've tried killing summons on it. I've tried killing a party member on it. I tried killing one of the snakes on it. Could you give me a further hint on how to get the 4th wardstone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    @crumb The 4th wardstone is only available after placing the other 3 wardstones into their respective slots.
    You have to defeat the creatures summoned by the 3rd wardstone to get it.
  • NosakosNosakos Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2020
    Hi @argent77 , I encountered a problem with the mod. I left the lamp in an area where I cannot come back. And now afaaq has automatically appeared after sleeping in a tavern and cant make him go back to his lamp. What can I do? He is required to be present when leaving the area. Is there a console command to remove him?
    He was a great companion in the last run.
    edited March 2020
    @Nosakos You could try one of the following solutions:

If you left the lamp accidentally, then you can create another one with this console command:
    C:CreateItem("a7djlmp")

or in ToB:
    C:CreateItem("a7djlmpa")

With the lamp in your possession, talk to the djinni and ask him to come out of his lamp (if he's still showing the lamp dialog). That should fix his state and you should be able to unsummon him properly afterwards.

Alternatively you could try this console command while placing the mouse cursor over the djinni:
    C:Eval('DestroySelf()')

It should remove the djinni (for the time being) and allow you to leave the area. However, there may be events that could unintentionally reactivate the djinni again (e.g. dream sequences or certain cutscenes that take place on different maps).
    Post edited by argent77 on
  • NosakosNosakos Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2020
    You are awesome argent77!! Getting the lamp back allowed me to return the djinni back inside. And I could leave the area without the djinni physical appearance.
    Thanks for the commands!
  • WitchfinderWitchfinder Member Posts: 26
    As for the Vengeance quest:
    I got the first wardstone and placed it in the left pillar (from the camera view) in front of the temple. Snakes appeared and I killed them. Then I was able to solve riddles in order to get the third wardstone. Now this wardstone, I cannot find a use for. Placing it in either of the two pillars that I can see, does nothing. Other than that, I can't find any other wardstone. I've checked all the containers.
    edited March 2020
    @Witchfinder Yeah, getting the 2nd wardstone is not as obvious. Look carefully for anything clickable on the map, read the messages if something pops up and you'll eventually find the second wardstone.

Or if you want straight instructions:
    There are several statues spread over the whole map. Click on each of them in the right order (by following their instructions) to get the wardstone. Start with the statue near the top-left corner of the map.
    edited March 2020
    Thanks, I found it ... I had been playing with the camera quite zoomed out, hehe.

Afaaq was downed in a fight and returned to the lamp (too weak to re-emerge at the moment). Now the game seems to think I have a companion with me and won't let me leave the room without gathering my party. I can't rest in there either. Wondering if I'm gonna have to wait a long in-game time now ...
    Afaaq was downed in a fight and returned to the lamp (too weak to re-emerge at the moment). Now the game seems to think I have a companion with me and won't let me leave the room without gathering my party. I can't rest in there either. Wondering if I'm gonna have to wait a long in-game time now ...
    Does saving and reloading the game allow you to leave the area?
    argent77 wrote: »
    Does saving and reloading the game allow you to leave the area?

Yes, it did! Thanks.
    Found another thing: I used the machine of Lum the mad with Afaaq to gain intelligence, it said Afaaq had gotten 1 point. Afterwards when I asked him for his abilities, he listed his intelligence as being the same as before, 15.
    Found another thing: I used the machine of Lum the mad with Afaaq to gain intelligence, it said Afaaq had gotten 1 point. Afterwards when I asked him for his abilities, he listed his intelligence as being the same as before, 15.
    I've never tried that. Since Afaaq technically counts as a familiar I had thought that stat changes would be transferred to the protagonist instead.

I fear that stat point is wasted. Afaaq doesn't really benefit from increased intelligence. The stat display from his dialog uses internal variables. They don't track stat changes outside of what the mod is scripted to do.
  • Thresh01Thresh01 Member Posts: 7
    At some point I lost Afaaq after leaving the Underdark and couldn't resummon him via the lamp since it said I had already summoned him. Manually recreating him wasn't working, but setting the Global variable to gaseous did work. Throwing this out here in case anyone else sees it happen.
  • ensbanaensbana Member Posts: 80
    I encounter a problem when trying to recruit Afaaq: after trapping Dao in the box, I return to the Druid Grove but the portal is no longer there? Could this happen because I’ve pickpocketed the lamp from Mahel earlier? Do I miss out anything if I don’t go back to him?
    ensbana wrote: »
    I encounter a problem when trying to recruit Afaaq: after trapping Dao in the box, I return to the Druid Grove but the portal is no longer there? Could this happen because I’ve pickpocketed the lamp from Mahel earlier? Do I miss out anything if I don’t go back to him?

That's intended. The portal closes after you have successfully retrieved the djinni lamp (in one way or another). Stealing the lamp is a valid option to retrieve it. In that case you don't have to complete the task for the rakshasa anymore. You're only missing out on a small XP reward that way.
  • TulgasTulgas Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2020
    I've done on first blind run about 70% of SoA and Djinni is waay too good. Seriously waay too god mod. And not in the way how overpowered it is, but in the way how well it's made and how many nice details it has.

Worth to mention, it has most powerful item in game - Additional Inventory Space. Completely OP, no sword or spell can be as strong as Additional Inventory Space in this game.

Mod is very friendly to combination of blind run + insane difficulty, quest is well made, but what kills me - additional interactions.
    Letting Djinni to win Imp's game? Seriously, this is fantastic immersion. Love these things. Thanks!
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I wish I had remembered this mod on my current install. A 7th party member with a bit of magical ability would have likely let me keep Mazzy. Assuming he can wield fire.
  • ensbanaensbana Member Posts: 80
    edited September 2020
    I’m currently having an issue playing this mod. So after I got to Umar Hills, some guys showed up and took the lamp and Afaaq away. His quest showed up on my journal. I was gonna get him back later, but then when I escaped from Spellhold Afaaq automatically joined my party.

That would be fine had I also got the lamp back. But I didn’t and now there’s no options to put Afaaq back in the lamp. Plus I think there’s a conflict with my other mods somewhere, resulting in Afaaq’s name being a (long) line of dialogue instead of “Afaaq”.

I’m tempted to uninstall and re-install the mod. But that would make it ending up at the bottom of my mod list. Is that still ok?

Here’s what the name of the Djinn currently looks like:

6v2xnk8bevxj.jpg

====================

Edit: I read the FAQs and it seems like I should have lost Afaaq permanently since I waited too long to do the “Vengeance” quest. So his re-joining my party is definitely not intended?
    Post edited by ensbana on