Skip to content

New PWs on Consoles

Hi guys,

So we have had NWN out on console for some time now. I completely understand that things needed to be tested out on Arelith and Ravenloft.

But its time to let other servers shine as well. I think it is vital that we get some sort of roadmap or guide to how to get our servers compatible for consoles.

Please Beamdog,

Drake
ChreelisterStummvonBordwehr

Comments

• ChassChass Member Posts: 31
    I have to agree.
    TemplarDrake
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I can't think of any reasons that makes either of those servers good for testing anything, rather they're not better or different to other servers in that respect. One of them opened an action version that was apparently for console players, but it never took off. Although I've heard some critics say those servers are basically action anyway because they're so grind intensive, so it could be console players stuck to the main servers.

Given the unremarkable player numbers this winter I don't think there was enough change to argue both points that A: sales continue to spike population with new players, and B. console brought in a significant amount of new players. That suggests either they're hemorrhaging PC players and gaining a lot of console players, or the console adoption rate for NWN is minimal at best.

All that said I'm skeptical that more or at least a significant amount of other persistent worlds will be made available on console, and worse yet I'm inclined to believe it would have no real impact. As far as I can tell, with respect to persistent worlds, the console port was a failed experiment. They still should have had a more transparent selection process open to all persistent worlds however.
  • TemplarDrakeTemplarDrake Member Posts: 44
    I can't think of any reasons that makes either of those servers good for testing anything, rather they're not better or different to other servers in that respect. One of them opened an action version that was apparently for console players, but it never took off. Although I've heard some critics say those servers are basically action anyway because they're so grind intensive, so it could be console players stuck to the main servers.

Given the unremarkable player numbers this winter I don't think there was enough change to argue both points that A: sales continue to spike population with new players, and B. console brought in a significant amount of new players. That suggests either they're hemorrhaging PC players and gaining a lot of console players, or the console adoption rate for NWN is minimal at best.

All that said I'm skeptical that more or at least a significant amount of other persistent worlds will be made available on console, and worse yet I'm inclined to believe it would have no real impact. As far as I can tell, with respect to persistent worlds, the console port was a failed experiment. They still should have had a more transparent selection process open to all persistent worlds however.

Well those two servers are the largest servers out there. So if there were some technical things that needed testing I would say that they were optimal candidates. Some say that there was a call out made to servers who wanted to go online on console, I just never personally saw this.

I am still seeing way more players on EE than 1.69 had at the end, so I would still call it a success.

I am also seeing a lot of activity regarding consoles. So if it was more open to more servers I think it would gather more interest as well. Regardless of being failed or not MP should be open for more servers and not just 2.

- Drake
    It's not so simple as just looking at the numbers at one moment. For example in the months before NWN EE the original version had 800 or so players briefly most likely due to a recent sale. During the months after the console release the online numbers were just over 600 players while there were also various winter sales for the PC version too. You can then say that the difference was very minimal OR new PC players stopped joining multiplayer. Currently the original version is not going on sales (no population peaks, stable playerbase) but the new version is frequently on sale (lots of temporary population peaks, stable playerbase during quiet seasons only). As for individual pw populations we must remember that existing player groups often tend to migrate due to internal strife or closures.

Currently we're seeing an uptick in almost every online game and service as people are finding ways to spend time with others and not be alone while being alone. I'll make the assumption that NWN is no different in that regard.

That said you're right that it ought to be open to all persistent worlds, but I see nothing to indicate that it would have a significant impact or any impact at all on longterm pw populations. It's still very much a PC game.
    Zwerkules
  • ZandosZandos Member Posts: 12
    I just can't see how choosing RP servers, that pretty much require a lot of typing to go on devices that don't have keyboards (and in case of NS are handhelds!) I mean, seriously, one RP and one purely focused on dungeoncrawling and action would be better choice, even if they are way smaller.
    I think most people understand they didn't factor the type of server into their decision. For what it's worth there is a purely action version of Ravenloft available that was released at the same time as the console ports but nobody is on it.
  • pokpok Member Posts: 21
    Any news on this? I would like to get my PW available to consoles as well. Is there an application process? Or any requirements?
    FlyByNight187
  • deadtreebarkdeadtreebark Member Posts: 1
    I made a account on this forum and I'm not sure how nor where to post. I bought this game for the sole purpose of playing on servers, campaigns with randoms or friends, on ps4, I have yet to do anything other play through a old game by my lonesome. A complete waste of 50$. Thanks beamdog
  • EbonstarEbonstar Member Posts: 152
    best bet to find out how to get your PW for console is to go to Arelith.com on the forums and send a message to Grumpycat. She is our Community Manager right now and can possibly help those who want it.
    Is there a better way to contact Grumpycat? You have to make an account on the forums and I can't figure out how to do that.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    It would be cool to have console-based PWs so if there is ever clear info on how to do that, i'm listening.

I never did PWs much but the one variety I did play extensively were the battle arena ones. King of the Hill, free for all, team battles, etc. When stopping your opponent matters as much or more than defeating them, strategies change.
    I do miss those arena PvP servers too. I was actually thinking of making something similar to Antiworld (Capture the Flag) if there was interest.
    WarChiefZeke
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I have managed to get some updated info on this subject.

The available PWs on consoles are those who responded to our initial call for servers & worked with us during development. We have no current plans to add new servers, but this could change in future. New PWs would need to be compatible with NWsync & be smaller than 4GB.
    dunahanStummvonBordwehrStrawMan
    Can you post a link to the initial call?

I don't think you can because I don't think it exists.

I understand you're just passing on the message here and you're not responsible for the validity. However I remember nobody else knew about it and asked what the process was. I also remember fair criticism about Beamdog's continued biased relationship with Arelith and Ravenloft, only to be told it was part of a secret trial phase and there would be more information later.

That doesn't line up with what you just posted.

More transparency and an actual application process in place would do more to alleviate those concerns than anything else.
    BalanorpokRafoca
    pok wrote: »
    Is there a better way to contact Grumpycat? You have to make an account on the forums and I can't figure out how to do that.

https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T our official discord and you can talk to Grumpycat there
  • TemplarDrakeTemplarDrake Member Posts: 44
    I have managed to get some updated info on this subject.

The available PWs on consoles are those who responded to our initial call for servers & worked with us during development. We have no current plans to add new servers, but this could change in future. New PWs would need to be compatible with NWsync & be smaller than 4GB.

I don't know where this "call" went out, but it certainly wasn't on Discord, Reddit, Twitter or during any of the streams. I think this was advertised very poorly.

If it is anywhere on this forum and a link can be provided I will crawl back into my hole and say that I missed my chance, but I fear this is not the case.
  • KnightMBKnightMB Member Posts: 8
    Ebonstar wrote: »

https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T our official discord and you can talk to Grumpycat there

Tried there, didn't find them, what hours should we look for them? I have to agree, seems the word did not spread as one would have hoped, I would have certainly answered the call to help provide more PW variety to the list. B)
    KnightMB wrote: »
    Ebonstar wrote: »

Tried there, didn't find them, what hours should we look for them? I have to agree, seems the word did not spread as one would have hoped, I would have certainly answered the call to help provide more PW variety to the list. B)

she is UK based but her hours vary
  • StrawManStrawMan Member Posts: 7
    Going to bump this thread up.

So, is there any further information available on prerequisites, and subsequent approval process for the purpose of making ones Persistent World available to console players?

Thank you!