Skip to content

Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access [NO SPOILERS HERE]

modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
edited October 2020 in Baldur's Gate III
I thought a thread dedicated to BG3's early access would help make it easier to discuss instead of cramming everything into one mega thread.

Pre-early access thoughts:
I plan on buying early access on day one, but may not actually play it for a few days/weeks. It really depends on how long it takes me to get around to installing a new hard drive that's been sitting on my desk for a few months. Maybe that will give Larian time to address any initial bugs that seem to crop up on initial release for a lot of games.

I haven't played any of the Divinity: Original Sin games, so I feel like I'm coming into the game pretty blind as far as what to expect from a "Larian" game. What I've seen from the pre-game hype has me excited. I may try the different origin characters just to get the full sampling and see what kind of differences they make at the beginning. I also really want to try out the Ranger class to see the differences/improvements from the tabletop rules.

Some questions once we actually get into early access:
What are your first impressions? Is the game fun? How well does it convert 5E from tabletop to computer? What changes work? Don't work? What bugs are people experiencing? What are your favorite features? Least favorite features?
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
WarChiefZekeDinoDinBallpointMandunbarJuliusBorisovArvia

Comments

• DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    I probably won't get EA, but I'd definitely love to read some non-spoiler reviews of the game from someone like you who has had no experience with the OS games.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    DinoDin wrote: »
    I probably won't get EA, but I'd definitely love to read some non-spoiler reviews of the game from someone like you who has had no experience with the OS games.

Me too, and actually it's worth being clear: Do we feel okay about making this a non-spoiler thread? Or at a minimum, strongly emphasize that spoilers should be hidden in spoiler tags?

I'm very (very) interested in generic non spoiler takes on EA. Things as simple as "Is the game fun?", "How does it play?" "How does it look", etc.
    dunbarmodestvoltaArvia
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Tweaked the thread title a bit. Just like back when PoE was released, let's have 2 threads: one spoiler-free (this one) and another with spoilers.
    elminsterenergisedcamelArvia
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    I really hope that some people will share their experiences in this thread, too.
    I've looked into the other thread, which seemed low in serious spoilers until then (except for the links), but that's probably going to change further into the game, and I'd rather err on the side of caution. However, all the traffic for now seems to be over there.

Spoiler-free feedback would be very much appreciated!
    JuliusBorisovBallpointMan
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The game is rough around the edges at the moment on my 6-year old gaming laptop, with FPS drops and cutscenes lagging. That said, only had one crash in 4 hours, when it wasn't the main character who interacted with a quest object (instead of the main). There are a few visible bugs eg. graphics not showing properly how hands interact with the brain, or duplicate devourers.

If I skip the performance part, the game is VERY interesting and I can't stop playing it. It gives me the same feeling the Witcher 3 did at the start, when I wait for what would happen next.

And I feel at home right away. The illithid lore, races, subraces, skills, stats, everything is familiar and was long missed.

I've shared an additional point of why the game hooked me because of its feeling of urgency here (no spoilers there, just felt I should post the first comment in that thread).
    dunbarArvia
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Got it yesterday, played it for a little while (spent longer in character creation than in the actual game (oh and by the way yes it is as we feared, faces are whole-faced-options so no sculpting, but hair and beard are still selectable, as are tattoos and makeup)), the first thing I did was die from getting covered in brine from the very first object I interacted with (after still touching the object after a successful investigation check had told me it would break if I did so, because I was a cat in a previous life, probably ;) ). Then I died again after throwing an object at my feet because it didn't say in the description what it would do (it only said "bonus action", indicating that it has some use) and I wanted to find out what it did (Because I was a cat in a previous life, probably) and it turned out it was a Very Explodey Object. I then decided it was too late to keep playing and went to bed.

Over all it was a good experience.

I'm not super good at giving promptless criticism but if anyone has any wonderings about the game I will try to answer them as best I can.

Oh and speaking of character creation it was actually more filled out than I would have anticipated, with roughly 6, sometimes 5, faces per race and 30-35 hair styles. Very good looking for the most part. I just came from playing Wasteland 3 (a punk-post-apocalypse themed setting) so it's nice to see such an abundance of hair that doesn't look absolutely ridiculous.
    dunbarJuliusBorisovZaxaresArvia
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    Cahir wrote: »
    - very poor optimization. I know it's Early Access, but it seems like a Very Early Access to me. Loading times are bad, loading up textures looks even more bad.

This isn't surprising at all because even the finished products of Original Sin 1 and 2 were badly optimised. It's been a consistently poor showing for Larian in that regard, and I kinda feel like BG3 will be worse because if you just can't optimise well the problem will get worse as the games get more and more demanding.

If I ever get this game it's not going to happen before a necessary PC upgrade.
    megamike15
    As I played another 5 hours, I can definitely say: the game is really interesting. I'm in all its side-quests, dialogues, mysteries, everything. It's just a fun game, I can't stop.
    Arviadunbar
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    As I played another 5 hours, I can definitely say: the game is really interesting. I'm in all its side-quests, dialogues, mysteries, everything. It's just a fun game, I can't stop.

I don't exactly hear excitement here, rather "Oh, it's OK game" ;) Am I wrong?
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I think that's what the "It's just a fun game, I can't stop." part is supposed to mean. ;)
    It's not excitement, it's desperation and fatigue. He's been locked to the computer for five days now. Please send help!
    WarChiefZekeThacoBellBallpointManmlnevese
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    So a simple yes and no question I am itching to ask since this game has been out for a bit and people have had a chance to play it.

Is there a meaningful tie story wise to the first two games? Has there been any ties in bigger than Easter eggs?

A simple yes or no will suffice to keep it spoiler free.
    Not as far as I've seen, but I'm only at the beginning of the first chapter, so maybe I shouldn't be so eager to answer. But I've seen no hints or Chekov-guns so far (As opposed to seeing a lot regarding Shar and Selune).

I'm not holding out for any, myself, but I am also one of those who thinks that being centred around BG is enough for the title (and that BG2 is the one that was faultily titled ;) ).
    A question without spoilers -- how pointless is it to drag around tool items and such? I'm currently carrying both spades and rope in the hope that they will turn out to have uses. Should I dispose of them?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @scriver Setting is just window dressing to a story. Themes and tone are far more important, they inform everything in the story.
    You're very welcome to think that.
    scriver wrote: »
    You're very welcome to think that.

How is the story of BG1 changed if you don't go to Baldur's Gate? It isn't. Those events can happen in ANY big city. The setting is not the story.Taking out the nature vs. nurture themes would dramatically change the story. Taking the Bhaalspawn out would dramatically change the story. The story is made up of characters, themes, and arcs. Everything else is window dressing.
    megamike15
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    I have a pair of (related) questions:

A - How much control do you have over the Companions when they level? Can you choose class? Feats?Spells? etc

B - Has anyone played an Origin character, and do you have more control over leveling them that way? Or the same.

Basically - i've read that you dont have total control over leveling your companions, but it's not clear what that means, and I'm wondering if that extends to when you make a Companion the main character.
    ThacoBell
    A -- You can't switch classes (but you can't multiclass your own character either, as far as I have noticed, at least not yet) but you can choose their subclass (unless it's taken at first level like with Warlocks) and their spells, class speciality options, and I'm guessing feats too although I haven't reached level 4 yet.

B -- You're not allowed to play origin characters yet (unless maybe in multiplayer? I haven't tried multiplayer)
    energisedcamelBallpointManThacoBellArvia
    Here's the complaint of the day -- I absolutely hate the "groundbreaking" elemental effects it inherited from from Divinity. Get hit by a fire arrow? Everywhere around you is covered in fire. Hit something with a torch? Fire slathered everywhere, including your allies of course. Touch something fiery for the briefest of moments? You're now on fire. Infuriating.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    I have a pair of (related) questions:

A - How much control do you have over the Companions when they level? Can you choose class? Feats?Spells? etc

It works more or less the same as it does in 5e. You have a minor list of feats, you choose from 1 of 2 kits (in most cases) that change your abilities. A fighter/mage or thief/mage are basically kits you can choose from the start, for example.

Multiclassing isn't in game yet, but it should be, I would hope.
    BallpointMan
    edited October 2020
    @scriver " You can't switch classes (but you can't multiclass your own character either, as far as I have noticed, at least not yet) "

:(
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
    Lurking back into this thread: I finally bought BG3. At some point in the next week, it should be done downloading and I'll have a chance to play ...
    elminsterJuliusBorisovArviaDinoDin
    I'm continuing to have a blast with the game.
    I've thought a lot about this

Can't deny, at first I too was very furious when my character just didn't roll enough when I wanted to learn more about my companions or decide a situation when the roll really changes the whole attitude towards a character / a scene. Compare that to Pathfinder: Kingmaker where you just have to get to a certain threshold for a check.

The conclusion I've come to and which brought me peace is that I should treat the roll check as if the person I'm talking to needs persuasion. Eg. when someone requires 16 or more (or multiple checks in a row), it means it's really difficult to make this character talk. It's a simulation of a real-life when I would have to really try and find my words in order to make someone say something to me. So this DnD mechanic can be a game design way to tell the player: you can't just learn about X easily.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't understand that and just find these rolls excessive and just reload constantly.
    Arvia
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited October 2020
    I wonder what the modding capability of this is going to be. There are a few things I already want to do or see done, like a conversion of some of the better 4e classes into 5th. I mean, seriously, the Star-Pact Warlock is probably the most thematically appropriate class for the game, with its close tie to Realmspace and thus Spelljammer. Warlocks need more good-patron options as is and this one was unique.

5e changed this to the "Far Realm" Pact, which is entirely different in every way.
    kanisathadunbar
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I wonder what the modding capability of this is going to be. There are a few things I already want to do or see done, like a conversion of some of the better 4e classes into 5th. I mean, seriously, the Star-Pact Warlock is probably the most thematically appropriate class for the game, with its close tie to Realmspace and thus Spelljammer. Warlocks need more good-patron options as is and this one was unique.

5e changed this to the "Far Realm" Pact, which is entirely different in every way.
    Yup, robust modding for the game is what I am counting on at this point to make the game even remotely palatable to play. I HATE adding mods to my games (a HUGE reason why I was a very early buyer of BG:EE), but for BG3 I expect to need many, many mods to make it anywhere near something I would want to play.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

Can't deny, at first I too was very furious when my character just didn't roll enough when I wanted to learn more about my companions or decide a situation when the roll really changes the whole attitude towards a character / a scene. Compare that to Pathfinder: Kingmaker where you just have to get to a certain threshold for a check.

The conclusion I've come to and which brought me peace is that I should treat the roll check as if the person I'm talking to needs persuasion. Eg. when someone requires 16 or more (or multiple checks in a row), it means it's really difficult to make this character talk. It's a simulation of a real-life when I would have to really try and find my words in order to make someone say something to me. So this DnD mechanic can be a game design way to tell the player: you can't just learn about X easily.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't understand that and just find these rolls excessive and just reload constantly.
    That twitter thread is a very interesting read. I thing the issue being raised there is going to end up being the Achilles heel of BG3. Swen wanted to make a D&D game that felt like a TT D&D game, and he has definitely succeeded in doing that. The problem is I think he significantly overestimated how attractive that would be to most gamers. It's just not going to work to compare a person's experience playing D&D seated around a table with their friends, drinking beer and eating pizza and cracking questionable jokes, with a human DM seated there with you to adjudicate anything that comes up in the game, to a person's experience playing (single-player) a video game. Things that are great fun in that TT setting become horrible nightmares in a video game. There are at least a dozen threads on just this issue on the Larian forum, and again even many people who generally like the game are complaining loudly about this (along with a couple of other similar common complaints). The game is just too much a TT game rather than a video game. Many gamers are going to be turned off by that. Many others will initially find it "cool," but once its newness wears off they too will start to find it tedious and aggravating. Just imagine playing a 150+ hours cRPG constantly save-scumming and reloading your game at every turn? And often having to reload multiple times. People are going to rage-quit a lot.
    ThacoBellBelgarathMTH
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited October 2020
    kanisatha wrote: »

That twitter thread is a very interesting read. I thing the issue being raised there is going to end up being the Achilles heel of BG3. Swen wanted to make a D&D game that felt like a TT D&D game, and he has definitely succeeded in doing that. The problem is I think he significantly overestimated how attractive that would be to most gamers. It's just not going to work to compare a person's experience playing D&D seated around a table with their friends, drinking beer and eating pizza and cracking questionable jokes, with a human DM seated there with you to adjudicate anything that comes up in the game, to a person's experience playing (single-player) a video game. Things that are great fun in that TT setting become horrible nightmares in a video game. There are at least a dozen threads on just this issue on the Larian forum, and again even many people who generally like the game are complaining loudly about this (along with a couple of other similar common complaints). The game is just too much a TT game rather than a video game. Many gamers are going to be turned off by that. Many others will initially find it "cool," but once its newness wears off they too will start to find it tedious and aggravating. Just imagine playing a 150+ hours cRPG constantly save-scumming and reloading your game at every turn? And often having to reload multiple times. People are going to rage-quit a lot.

And I bet Larian will fine tune this, based on the feedback. This is exactly the feedback they want to hear, actually. Like they felt 3rd person dialogue style will be dealbreaker for many (me among others) and changed it.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    edited October 2020

FWIW, Kingmaker actually does roll frequently for dialogue checks, especially the persuasion stat. This is often represented as a dialogue choice of bluff or intimidate. Some other stats end up being rolls as well. It also uses threshold checks. Often for knowledge or lore checks. So it's employing something of a hybrid system.
    JuliusBorisov