Skip to content

Why BG3 is amazing! [POSITIVE ONLY THREAD, NO CRITICISM]

Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
edited September 2020 in Baldur's Gate III
This thread is for positive discussion (ONLY) regarding BG3. This is meant for people who are excited about the game and want to discuss about it in peace without being interrupted by critics every now and then. No criticism or negative comments about BG3 or Larian will be allowed here.

All forum rules hold valid here. Thank you and enjoy the discussion.

Debate thread here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/80569/bg3-worth-it-or-not-debate-thread

Criticism thread here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/80568/the-problem-with-bg3-criticism-thread

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    The opening dungeon is definitely a worthy successor to Chateau Irenicus. There is far less combat, but the last fight doesn't just have a feeling of urgency, but actual urgency built into it (which I imagine would be even greater if there was a current option to make the difficulty higher).
    JuliusBorisovSkatanArviaÆmrys
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited October 2020
    Here is another aspect I realized today.

Ask yourself which companion the game would provide by default as the first companion in an RPG? At least when I did ask myself, the answer was a kind person, probably a knight or a kind of a fighter, who wants to stop the great evil or is just a bro (sis).

Imoen in BG1
    Minsc in BG2
    Alistair (DA:O)
    Calisca and Eder (PoE)
    Cassandra (DA:I)
    Valerie, Amiri and Linzi (P:K)

And yet, only in BG3 this approach is different. The game doesn't give you an NPC you would (at least, I would, just from all the experience in other games) expect as the first or second NPC you encounter. Because it's more real this way.

It's so refreshing to get BG3 companions.
    DinoDinbyrne20ArviaIsewein
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Here is another aspect I realized today.

Ask yourself which companion the game would provide by default as the first companion in an RPG? At least when I did ask myself, the answer was a kind person, probably a knight or a kind of a fighter, who wants to stop the great evil or is just a bro (sis).

Imoen in BG1
    Minsc in BG2
    Alistair (DA:O)
    Calisca and Eder (PoE)
    Cassandra (DA:I)
    Valerie, Amiri and Linzi (P:K)

And yet, only in BG3 this approach is different. The game doesn't give you an NPC you would (at least, I would, just from all the experience in other games) expect as the first or second NPC you encounter. Because it's more real this way.

It's so refreshing to get BG3 companions.

What do you mean by that? The fact that they don't give you an ideal first companion, because it's not realistic to find the perfect match right away? Or just that it's an unexpected, different approach?
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    @Arvia I think it’s just refreshing to not have a best buddy/really kind NPC given to you straight away. I definitely agree with @JuliusBorisov and think it’s a refreshing approach.
    JuliusBorisovArvia
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited October 2020
    Indeed, it's refreshing not to have a fighter with sword and shield or a fighter with a two-hander, both of good alignment and the most reliable character(s) in the game, as the first companion(s).
    Adam_en_tiumArvia
    edited October 2020
    I wasn't trying to contradict, just clarifying if I understood correctly.

It's true, to find your perfect fighting companion and possibly soulmate right outside a tutorial dungeon is about as realistic as, let's say, find a box full of wooden stakes at the entrance to a vampire dungeon.

(Edited a SoA spoiler, just in case)
    JuliusBorisovAdam_en_tiumSjerrie
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Arvia wrote: »
    I wasn't trying to contradict, just clarifying if I understood correctly.

It's true, to find your perfect fighting companion and possibly soulmate right outside a tutorial dungeon is about as realistic as, let's say, find a box full of wooden stakes at the entrance to a vampire dungeon.

(Edited a SoA spoiler, just in case)

I think the point of the argument was to have the option of someone that doesn't hate your guts or serves an omnicidal maniac early on. Not a "perfect" companion, but someone they can realistically see themselves wanting, or at least not hating the idea, of travelling with.
    BelgarathMTHMirandel
    edited October 2020

I like the game and I'm a bit tired to advocate for it. This game is super interesting, it's fun, the characters are real and not one-dimentional. Skills checks are fun, combat is fun. Everything I see is just so cool. It's impossible to keep advocating the game every day on every claim thrown. It's more difficult even, while I enjoy it so much.

This is exactly how I feel at this point. I’m having a great time with the game. Some peoples minds were made up before anything real about this game was ever shown. I don’t bother trying to engage with some of them at this point as it is a pointless activity. I’m just enjoying the game and also enjoying speaking to the people on here that feel the same ?
    ArviaDinoDin
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    byrne20 wrote: »

I like the game and I'm a bit tired to advocate for it. This game is super interesting, it's fun, the characters are real and not one-dimentional. Skills checks are fun, combat is fun. Everything I see is just so cool. It's impossible to keep advocating the game every day on every claim thrown. It's more difficult even, while I enjoy it so much.

This is exactly how I feel at this point. I’m having a great time with the game. Some peoples minds were made up before anything real about this game was ever shown. I don’t bother trying to engage with some of them at this point as it is a pointless activity. I’m just enjoying the game and also enjoying speaking to the people on here that feel the same ?

This is exactly why I stopped engaging in these discussions. I value my piece of mind more than the urge of expressing my opinion.
    byrne20Arvia
    10 hours? Good for you. I hope they revived that old BG loading screen message "While your character doesn't need to eat, remember that you do. We don't want to lose any dedicated players."

It's good to hear that it's possible to act kindly in the game and that the companions' attitude can change over time. I think it's natural not to open up and trust each other immediately, considering the circumstances of the beginning of the game, but it's good to know there's room for development.

What about the interactivity with the world, and the often mentioned vertical possibilities, like climbing on roofs and such things? Does it make a huge difference, is it something you can use easily, or does it make party management more difficult?
    byrne20BallpointManJuliusBorisov
    What about the interactivity with the world, and the often mentioned vertical possibilities, like climbing on roofs and such things? Does it make a huge difference, is it something you can use easily, or does it make party management more difficult?

It definitely makes a difference. I struggled a little at first. I kept forgetting to unlink a character from the group if I wanted them to go off on their own and jump up a cliff. This caused me issues because then my group would try to follow but for some reason would not jump up the cliff and then they would try to take a day different route and it caused all kinds of chaos lol but I am getting used to it now.

It’s actually really fun splitting the team up and trying to find different ways to approach fights. Sometimes it’s trial and error. I have been killed a good few times because my tactics just didn’t cut it lol but I actually enjoy re trying and trying to work out better ways to approach combat. Getting the high ground with a Ranger if he/she is an archer is always useful and I have found plenty of opportunity to do that.

ArviaJuliusBorisovThacoBell
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    From what I understand, party members are supposed to follow you and take the same jumps you do. This is bugged right now, and rarely ever works.
    JuliusBorisov
    From what I understand, party members are supposed to follow you and take the same jumps you do. This is bugged right now, and rarely ever works.

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying ?

JuliusBorisov
    edited October 2020
    My favorite thing about the game is Gale. He's probably one of my favorite npcs of all the DnD games i've played. I think his particular gimmick is rather lame in all honesty, but his personality fits right into what I would want on my team.
    JuliusBorisovSjerrie
    10 hours? Good for you. I hope they revived that old BG loading screen message "While your character doesn't need to eat, remember that you do. We don't want to lose any dedicated players."

It's good to hear that it's possible to act kindly in the game and that the companions' attitude can change over time. I think it's natural not to open up and trust each other immediately, considering the circumstances of the beginning of the game, but it's good to know there's room for development.

It certainly provides many more options, tactics-wise. If you have experience with DOS games, it will take you little time to get used to the vertical possibilities, if not, it will take more time. Just as @byrne20 I too sometimes struggled at first but learned to like those possibilities. Increasing to hit chance from 80% to 90% or even 99% (if from the sneak mode) just because you get a better position before the battle starts is exactly "my type" of combat. It also provides neat situations when 3 characters of yours can be on completely different levels (places) and have to meet somewhere going through different obstacles.

I liked using sneaky characters in BG, preferring my F/T opt-in and out of shadows to kill lone enemies. I can see how these tactics evolved into what is available BG3.
    ArviaGrond0DinoDin
    I've restarted today with a ranger and absolutely loving talking to animals.

Yeah, my first character through was a halfling ranger and there are just so many opportunities to use your animal handling skill. They really went above and beyond in terms of role playing opportunities.

The triple-jump spell rangers get is pretty funny on a halfling as well. Leaping across great distances like i'm some Dragon Ball Z character. Has some decent tactical use as well.
    ArviaJuliusBorisovelminsterBallpointMan
    I've continued with my ranger and reached lvl 4. Yesterday I completed a few difficult fights: against the mega spider in the dungeon, against mephits who kept creating other mephits, against a group of 4 adventurers also being lvl 4, against a group of gnolls and against one secret enemy. I enjoyed it all so much because the game lets me do what I like to do: it doesn't force you to take the combat where the enemy wants it to happen, you can retreat a bit and find a better placement while still in combat, you can try different tactics right there in the same combat without having to reload. It is that one thing that I'm so grateful for, as I could do the same in BG1 & BG2 and got used to it.

So far, I never had a total party wipe. Twice I was close to losing with only 1 party member surviving, but I'm glad the game offers you all those scrolls and other items you can use, as well as stealth to your advantage. The possibilities of tactics are endless.

But what continues to impress me the most in this game is the exploration and little details every quest offers. It's always a mystery, it's always not straight-forward, and there are always multiple choices you can make.

I like writing, the stories seem to be very reasonable and trustworthy.

I have 60 hours in this game already. I'd say 1USD for 1 hour is a very solid investment, especially since I'm not even close to completing Act 1 in Early Access. I can see how I'm putting 400 hours into this when it's released and the only concern I have right now is the following: what will I do once I get to the end of Early Access content. Every game session leaves me with only one feeling: what will happen next, I want to know.
    Arviabyrne20
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    what will I do once I get to the end of Early Access content. Every game session leaves me with only one feeling: what will happen next, I want to know.

Roll another character, or wait until Larian releases more content into the EA to explore and play something else.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2020
    Yea there are multiple paths for dealing with certain quests. There are also different ways to leave the EA content. From a QA testing standpoint it's quite impressive (especially when you consider the opportunities that were present for like specific journal entries being wrong or other issues to pop up). I only had one side quest bug out on me.

This game required a lot of test cases :)