Skip to content

Solasta: Crown of the Magister (D&D 5e OGL cRPG)

Comments

• PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited October 2020
    New patch is out!

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1096530/view/2940247550349941781
    Hi there everyone,

It's been one week since our Early Access launch and we've been hard at work to bring you a whole bunch of improvements!

DE version available here (thanks Raminblake): https://solasta-rpg.de/2020/10/27/patch-0-3-3-ist-released/#

Important: If you are running into infinite loading screens, make sure to verify your games files!
    Go to your Steam Library and right click Solasta => Properties => Local Files Tab => Verify Integrity of Game Files.
    If this doesn’t fix the problem, try loading an older save (such as an auto-save) to go through the problematic area! On rare occasions, save files can get corrupted so the solution is loading another one.

Tutorials
    Characters and NPCs in the tavern should no longer clip into their chair or the table in the intro cutscene.
    You are now forced to use Disengage against the Greyback Wolf. Hopefully that will save some more lives, too many budding adventurers died there
    We've also updated the Quest to clearly indicate that you must push the rock after disengaging
    Added a camera movement in the Orc Cave to show where the lever is to open the door
    Added a bit of gold in the Stealth Tutorial, because gold is life

World Map
    Fixed a bug where locations would sometimes appear at the wrong place. Don't lose your waaaaayyyy!
    Fixed a bug where the party would sometimes not move on the World Map, then suddenly teleport further away. The DM just forgot to move your tokens, sorry
    Caer Lem should no longer be producing light at night on the World Map. Its secret goblin nightclub has been closed for sanitary reasons
    Fixed a bug where trying to travel with an unconscious character would sometimes crash the game. Give the poor lad some of that healing potion!
    The camera behavior should be more consistant on the World Map now
    Random encounter locations should now have music outside combat as well

Caer Lem
    Monsters should no longer shove you to your death. We will re-introduce this feature when we roll out the difficulty settings, but it was too punishing for new players
    A secret passage in the cave should now properly open up when interacted with
    Daliat should no longer appear alive in a cutscene if you killed him earlier. He will haunt you regardless, you monster
    You should no longer be able to walk inside fire tiles. At least not here. Not now. Not like this

Tower of Magic
    Fixed a bug where killing spiders would sometimes teleport you to an empty Crown Room. Sorry future Solasta speedrunners
    It should no longer be possible to get a random encounter between leaving the Tower of Magic and the Trouble Night Event
    Fixed one wall being closer than what the visuals showed in the Crown Room
    The chest in the Crown Room should no longer be filled with test items

Caer Cyflen
    Fixed a rare crash that occurred after Aer Elai (the vision) from the Crown-bearer
    Started optimizing Aer Elai to reduce fps issues
    Fixed a rare bug where merchants sometimes weren't positioned properly after cutscenes
    Fixed NPCs sometimes not properly looking at people when they talk after reloading a save. They're just standing there... menacingly
    Added a quest marker for the first scavenger quest

Necromancy Quest
    When fighting Lizzaria, the zombies should no longer be locked behind bars. They get to join the fun too!
    Fixed a rare crash where killing Lizzaria would drop her Arcane Focus, which probably was an Orb of Annihilation considering how it annihilated the game stability
    Mardracht has been buffed a lot, poor old man barely had enough HP to stand up. He now is ready to kick some butt
    Mardracht should no longer disappear before the end of the cutscene
    Made adjustments to the items found in loot containers
    Added audio when breaking windows
    Fixed the main quest not updating if the player immediately rushed to the secret passage instead of entering the courtyard
    Mana Lamps should no longer go invisible after being lit. Those lamps are weird man, I tell you
    Added a short fade to black effect when transitioning between Cemetery and Courtyard
    Skeleton now have new portraits and a small ambiant VFX
    Fixed the poor dwarven ghost's beard looking like a fluffy stuffed animal
    Fixed a few pathfinding issues when playing around moving crates and puzzle doors
    Added a collider so that players can walk inside a certain sarcophagus. You're already pillaging tombs, don't be rude come on

Items
    Ring of Protection +1 should now work properly
    Heavy Armor should no longer reduce AC if you have negative DEX modifier
    Unidentified items should now properly hide their properties until identified
    The attunement system should now work properly. The Wand of Lightning Bolt awaits you!
    Scroll of Lightning Bolt should no longer be named Scroll of Fireball. The scribe in charge of writing scrolls has been reassigned to latrine duty
    Crafting a scroll of Jump should no longer give you a scroll of Mage Armor. Latrine duty duration has been doubled.
    Weapons tooltip should now display if they are Simple or Martial weapons
    Fixed a bug where drag & dropping items in the inventory would make them... disappear! Truth be told the rogue probably stole them
    Added some harvestable ingredients. GATHER ALL THE FLOWERS!
    Made some adjustments to item cost.
    Fixed a rare bug where a character going unconscious on top of loot, getting healed and then attempting to pick up said loot would sometimes crash the game. Loot is sacred, don't fall on it
    Faction items should no longer show white squares in their tooltip
    Updated the Harversack tooltip

Spells
    Updated the icons of Flaming Sphere, Spiritual Weapon and Dancing Light
    Removed the ability to upcast Fog Cloud for now. Save the frames, kill the upcasting
    Added VFX effects to the Tongues spell
    Fixed a rare crash when refreshing spell slots
    Fixed a very rare crash when spells go poof game goes boom boom. And that's a no no
    The Shield spell should now properly end on the start of your next turn
    Fixed a rare crash when casting a spell inflicting a condition using a scroll
    The game will now display a warning message when trying to scribe a scroll you already know
    You can now scribe Greenmage spells if you're a Greenmage
    When attempting to move spells such as Flaming Sphere, Dancing Light & Spiritual Weapon, you should no longer lose your Bonus action if you immediately cancel instead of moving after selecting it.
    You should no longer be able to cast Flaming Sphere directly on top a character
    Added VFX effects to the Remove Curse spell
    Casting Levitate on an enemy should no longer give them advantage on their Saving Throw
    Speaking of Levitate, Spiders should no longer turn invisible if you cast Levitate on them. Seriously, who does that?
    Fixed Protection from poison doing weird stuff

Characters
    Snow Dwarves should now properly get +2 in Constitution Saving Throws instead of Advantage. Tell me again about how you "misread" the feature, Larry.
    Fixed the idle pose when holding a 2-handed sword. Fighters all around the world now know how to properly wield a greatsword
    Fixed a very peculiar bug where an NPC would sometimes replace your character if the two shared the same name. What can I say, some NPCs always wanted to be adventurers
    Fixed a bug where Saving Throw modifiers were applied twice against Ghouls paralyzing effect. Larry I'm sure you know how to do basic math, stop cheating
    Fixed a bug sometimes causing issues when attempting to level up an Oblivion Cleric
    Fixed characters sometimes not visually waking up from sleeping conditions
    Characters in Stealth knocked unconscious will no longer be considered in Stealth
    Adjusted Anton & Miles (pre-made characters) starting equipment
    Fixed a very funny bug where some characters would wave their torch back and forth, even when unconscious
    Fixed an issue with the Sorrak ranged attack animation could sometimes be out of sync
    Aristocrats should now properly have proficiency in Intimidation as displayed in the tooltip
    Archers should now properly take into account elevation when aiming at the enemy before shooting
    Disarming a trap while holding a rapier should no longer show the rapier flying around
    Added some missing audio for Sorraks, such as spellcasting and Doom Laughter
    Fixed characters sometimes saluting by placing their arm inside their chest instead of on their chest. Poor Sorraks, they're trying their best to blend in
    Skeletons should no longer hold their shortbows inside their wrist
    Characters should now reposition themselves automatically if they start their turn stacked on top of someone else
    Characters' portrait should no longer be blurry after loading a save during combat
    Fixed Orcs' faces in the Bestiary

Miscellaneous
    Added an option to enable non-seeded RNG (has to be activated manually). Savescummers rejoice!
    Dice Rolls should now properly appear when making ability checks during cutscenes
    Fixed some lighting issues when swapping to the third weapon configuration (weapon + light source)
    Fixed most missing texts in French, German and Chinese
    Fixed the camera sometimes not switching to battle mode when entering combat. Peace is not an option, camera
    Fixed a crash when the creature with the highest initiative died of an "at the start of your turn" effect.
    Fixed a whole lot of rare crashes and bugs again! More stability banzai!
    Added a button on the main menu to easily leave a review on Steam, which you should totally do because that would make you even more awesome than you already are
    Fixed a rare bug where the game would sometimes display an empty string instead of the correct location of the party in the save file
    Fixed the camera sometimes going bananas when focused on a character
    Fixed a rare bug preventing the player from doing Short Rests after doing a Long Rest + Level up
    The loading screen when launching the game should now properly scale to your screen resolution instead of being horribly stretched
    Optimized starting time a bit. You should see a slight improvement when launching the game!
    Fixed a strange bug that would happen when attempting to fast travel and closing the map at the same time
    Continue & Load Game buttons should no longer be greyed out when cancelling Character Creation
    Poisoned and Diseased conditions should now properly be displayed
    Fixed a rare and strange bug where audio levels could get out of sync in certain conditions
    Rocks should properly roll when pushed now, instead of sliding on the ground
    Fixed a small issue with the Adventurer Ghost portrait
    Added new sounds to ghouls, skeletons and zombies
    Made some slight improvements to the map here and there

I find it funny that they made the IA so unforgiven that they have to take away the use of "shove" against the characters in Caer Lem because they are killing too many players making them fall to death.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I am amazed and impressed that for such a small team they made so many fixes in just one week.
    PsicoVic
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Power Word: Crunch
    BallpointMan
    edited October 2020
    I knew they have custom races and subclasses in Solasta, but I didn´t know that they have custom feats too.

My shock wizard is in love with this one.

https://solastacrownofthemagister.wiki.fextralife.com/Potent+Cantrip

It works nicely with the "Shadow dagger" cantrip: you do not light to aim to the target and deals irresistible psychic damage and it´s wis-save based. Arguably the most versatile damaging cantrip of the game; or light cleric with the sacred flame cantrip.
    kanisathaGrammarsalad
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Wish I’d bought this with the discount, it looks great and completely snuck up on me
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    I knew they have custom races and subclasses in Solasta, but I didn´t know that they have custom feats too.

It works nicely with the "Shadow dagger" cantrip: you do not light to aim to the target and deals irresistible psychic damage and it´s wis-save based. Arguably the most versatile damaging cantrip of the game; or light cleric with the sacred flame cantrip.
    Yeah, because they cannot use anything outside of the SRD. In response to complaints that some of the classes are bland (the fighter class in particular, which many people have pointed out in their forum is just not worth using especially with only a party of four), they are going to create more custom feats to jazz up the classes. They are even asking for feat ideas from people on the forum.
    ThacoBellGrammarsalad
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    ilduderino wrote: »
    Wish I’d bought this with the discount, it looks great and completely snuck up on me

well's it's still in EA, so it'll probably get discounted again once it is finished. I don't think there is a rush to play it
    edited October 2020
    kanisatha wrote: »

Yeah, because they cannot use anything outside of the SRD. In response to complaints that some of the classes are bland (the fighter class in particular, which many people have pointed out in their forum is just not worth using especially with only a party of four), they are going to create more custom feats to jazz up the classes. They are even asking for feat ideas from people on the forum.

That I agree, in a group of four a class that only "hit well" is a dead weight, no matter how good he/she is at fighting.
    kanisatha
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited October 2020
    Actually, I tried using a fighter when I played Solasta, and I found that they were really good. I used a high Dexterity elven fighter who fought with a rapier and shield in melee and with a bow at long range. Near the end of the EA content she could reach as high as 26 AC with the right buffs and conditions.

I was kind of disappointed that fighters didn't have Athletics as a class skill, though. They do have Athletics in PnP.

Calling an entire class "dead weight" is too harsh. Some classes are better at handling non-combat situations than others, but non-combat situations are just one part of the game; combat is another part. There are various places different characters can shine.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    How much this game has to offer story-wide? I get that now, reading all positive comments, that it's a very good D&D adaptation, but how about actually rpg? You know, story, dialogs, NPCs, lore, world, location... this meaningful stuff?
    ThacoBell
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    OlvynChuru wrote: »

I was kind of disappointed that fighters didn't have Athletics as a class skill, though. They do have Athletics in PnP.

Yeah, that makes no sense to me.
    edited October 2020
    Actually, I tried using a fighter when I played Solasta, and I found that they were really good. I used a high Dexterity elven fighter who fought with a rapier and shield in melee and with a bow at long range. Near the end of the EA content she could reach as high as 26 AC with the right buffs and conditions.

Calling an entire class "dead weight" is too harsh. Some classes are better at handling non-combat situations than others, but non-combat situations are just one part of the game; combat is another part. There are various places different characters can shine.
    A paladin can do as well fighting but he also heals and cure poison/disease and cast spells. They´re also natural diplomats and have athletics as a class skill.
    A ranger has more skills, can also cast spells and would be a great archer or dual-wielding fighter without having to sacrifice your +2 stats in feats.

Rangers and Paladins also outclass fighters in damage in this game because they have some powers that allow you to add more damage to your hits and spells to back up your fighting prowess.

I do not say they´re bad, I say in a group of 4 a fighter is more limited than other classes that fight as well.

In TT it´s different because you have Battlemasters, Arcane archers, gunslingers and stuff, classes with some tactical options and active abilities at your disposal ( Menacing strike, riposte, imbue arrow etc) and feats like Shield master that allows you to bash with your shield as a bonus action, sentinel, etc.
    I´m ok with most of the other subclasses and classes. I didn´t find the ones in this game less interesting than in TT, but I find fighters a little lacking in comparison.

As a personal note, I found the subclasses mountaineer and champion of the fighters too based on passive features and not adding any useful additions to your skillset (others like the green wizard gives you proficiencies with armour, weapons and spells or new skills). The aforementioned classes only gives you passive bonuses to your defenses and a 5% to your critical hit chance and stuff like that. I find it a little boring to play because you have less tactical options than other warrior classes. Basically, you are attacking or shoving all the time and those are almost all your options when it´s your turn.

Yeah, that makes no sense to me.

For some reason, they have "Animal Handling" instead. Maybe because your cavalier knows how to treat a horse?
    Post edited by PsicoVic on
    OlvynChurukanisatha
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    If I were to restart now I'd definitely make an Elven archery-focused Wizard and then go Greenmage and then take the Sylvan Archer feat (makes you ignore less-than full cover). That's probably one of the most powerful combinations right now. A solid constant damage output with Hunters Mark who can also create big damage booms with spells when needed. You don't have enough HP to survive sustained close combat but the light armour gives you improved chances if you do find yourself in it and you can use magic such as misty step to get out of it in a pinch.

Cahir wrote: »
    How much this game has to offer story-wide? I get that now, reading all positive comments, that it's a very good D&D adaptation, but how about actually rpg? You know, story, dialogs, NPCs, lore, world, location... this meaningful stuff?

It's a bit different. Story wise it's 100% on rails, so there's no open map travel or anything like that. You go to a location, finish it, go back to the main quest hub, unlock the next location. You can probably go back to old locations -- I've been meaning to as soon as I'm allowed to buy Jump or Fly spells to clear out the last bits of loot I couldn't reach, but I haven't tried it yet.

The story itself isn't very interesting, but it's not bad. It's more akin to what one could expect from a friendly game of dnd than anything else. Same with the setting and lore, really. Those are very barebones right now, might get better with development.

Characterwise, it takes a bit of a "simulation" passive approach rather than a "I make the choices for what my character says" you see in most western rpgs. Your characters has a personality decided by his values and the game makes them react accordingly. I haven't expererimented much with it so I'm not sure how big an effect it actually has on what they say but it seems they mostly react suitably.

You set these values at start by the way, you're given options based on their background and alignment (alignment itself seem to have no effect in-game beyond this).

All in all I wouldn't buy it looking for a strong narrative rpg experience, especially not before it leaves EA. It's main strong point right now is it's implementation of DnD 5e mechanics.
    ThacoBellCahirIsewein

A paladin can do as well fighting but he also heals and cure poison/disease and cast spells. They´re also natural diplomats and have athletics as a class skill.
    A ranger has more skills, can also cast spells and would be a great archer or dual-wielding fighter without having to sacrifice your +2 stats in feats.

Rangers and Paladins also outclass fighters in damage in this game because they have some powers that allow you to add more damage to your hits and spells to back up your fighting prowess.

I do not say they´re bad, I say in a group of 4 a fighter is more limited than other classes that fight as well.

In TT it´s different because you have Battlemasters, Arcane archers, gunslingers and stuff, classes with some tactical options and active abilities at your disposal ( Menacing strike, riposte, imbue arrow etc) and feats like Shield master that allows you to bash with your shield as a bonus action, sentinel, etc.
    I´m ok with most of the other subclasses and classes. I didn´t find the ones in this game less interesting than in TT, but I find fighters a little lacking in comparison.

As a personal note, I found the subclasses mountaineer and champion of the fighters too based on passive features and not adding any useful additions to your skillset (others like the green wizard gives you proficiencies with armour, weapons and spells or new skills). The aforementioned classes only gives you passive bonuses to your defenses and a 5% to your critical hit chance and stuff like that. I find it a little boring to play because you have less tactical options than other warrior classes. Basically, you are attacking or shoving all the time and those are almost all your options when it´s your turn.
    Yes this is it exactly. Might as well go paladin because you essentially get everything you'd get with a fighter and then some.

Also, one idea that came up in the forum was to create additional subclasses for fighter because the current ones are lame. But again it's a copyright issue because they can't use anything that exists in any D&D source book but which is not in the SRD. And apparently creating their own subclasses is too much work (for now).
    PsicoVic
    Cahir wrote: »
    This part is admittedly a little weak. Firstly, since there are no NPC companions and you make the whole party, on dialogue things are more like IwD than BG. Not completely empty but not a lot. This has come up in the forum, and the devs have said they will look into adding more branching dialogue. But their problem is they went with full VO and that decision is now limiting them severely. The overall story we don't yet know how good it may be. The EA is very linear, but it doesn't include any side quests or other content besides a small part of the main story. On lore and world-building, from the "dev diaries" during development I would say they are excellent. They have really put a lot of thought and creativity into their setting.
    energisedcamelPsicoVicIsewein
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "This part is admittedly a little weak. Firstly, since there are no NPC companions and you make the whole party, on dialogue things are more like IwD than BG. "

Ouch. That really hurts my motivation to try the game.
    energisedcamel
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    "This part is admittedly a little weak. Firstly, since there are no NPC companions and you make the whole party, on dialogue things are more like IwD than BG. "

Ouch. That really hurts my motivation to try the game.
    One of their major hooks for the game (the other being verticality which they introduced way before BG3) is you as the player are playing the whole party as though it were a single entity. So the party taken as a whole is effectively the protagonist of the game. So there is plenty of dialogue and choices, but they are not specific to party members but rather to the party taken as a whole.

I'm not yet sure if this is something that can work and/or if I will like it. But it is an innovation in cRPGs, and we will never know if an idea is good or not unless someone tries it out.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I didn't like it in IWD, I'll probably not like it here. Characters are the biggest draw to RPGs for me, and not having ANY to travel with is a deathblow 90% of the time in party based games.
    Yeah, that would be a hard pass for me to. But I hope they'll do good with sales.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I'm definitely going to get it at some point. I just hope someone mods the athletics skill for the fighter
    edited November 2020
    Well, at least you can get Athletics for your fighter by picking the "Sellsword" background for your character. I assume there´ll be more after the EA and fighters will get their signature skill back.
    A huge winter update... Merry Xmas!
    https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1096530/view/2922237589819485153

New Content / Feature:
    An entire new Questline is unlocked after Mardracht's tea party (which may or may not involve tea). Tactical Adventures does not condone violence against the elderly.
    Upon returning to the World Map, a new location should now become available.

Many new magic items have been added to the game, because magic is cool and you know it. And no we won't spoil which ones.

You can now hide during combat! Wooh for sneaky dastardly deeds, chivalry is for dumdums with negative intelligence modifier. That's not me, that's what the Rogue said.
    Hiding requires you to break line of sight with all enemies before doing so
    Creatures can see in a 180 degree arc in front of them, instantly revealing you if you step into their vision range (no Stealth Check)
    Otherwise, you will have to roll a Stealth Check under the following conditions: Ending your turn too close to an enemy (distance depends on many factors, such as your Stealth score and armor type), or taking an action such as attacking or casting a spell.
    Note that Hiding in Combat is a very contested rule on Tabletop, so we invite you to give us feedback if you think the current system can be improved.

Because hiding isn't enough, you can now also apply poison to your weapon. Hey, say what you want but a win's a win.

Several new spells have been added to the spell list. You ready? Pass without trace, See invisibility, Animal Friendship, Find traps, Calm emotions and Protection from poison. What do you mean that's lame? Oh sorry Larry, I forgot you only take spells that deal damage because that's all you care about. Well not every spell can be a fireball, Larry.

Two new homebrew cantrips have been added to combat darkness more effectively: Shine, which lights up an enemy like a candle from afar for a solid minute - and Sparkle, which is quite literally "I cast magic missile at the darkness" (okay, difference being you still need to target interactable objects such as wall sconces to light them up).

Many new Hair / Eyes / Skin Colors have been added to the Character Creator

Each Ancestry now has access to new additional faces in the Character Creator, on top of the old ones. NPCs also got a facelift in the process.

Several new monsters have been added to Solasta. You will encounter them in the new locations of the Winter Update, but you may also run into them during Random Encounters.

The Scavenger Faction is now up and running! Simply go to them whenever you drop by Caer Cyflen, and they'll send their best to go loot the areas you cleared (including random encounters). We will further develop the Scavengers in the future, but don't hesitate to ask for their services already and tell us what you think!

Major Changes:
    The inventory & loot systems have received a lot of requested upgrades:
    You can now double click to loot / equip items
    The party will now share their wealth, instead of hoarding each coins individually like little gremlins. Shopping just became much easier.
    We added a second quiver so you can easily switch between regular arrows and magical arrows.
    You will now receive a warning when equipping a combination of weapons you can't dual wield, such as Rapier + Dagger. As a reminder, you need two light weapons to be able to dual wield properly (Rapier isn't light).
    Looting bodies will now open a small window instead of the entire inventory
    Looting bodies (after battle) will now automatically loot a sizeable area around the body. You may still need to loot some bodies separately if one died particularly far from the fight (for instance if it was perched on a tower).
    You can now open a shop directly after having talked to the merchant NPC at least once. Simply click on the shop tent instead of the NPC.
    The shop interface has been revamped to display more items at once, and base scrolling speed has been increased.

The lighting system has been reverted back to Tabletop rules:
    Dim light will no longer give disadvantage on attack rolls, only on perception checks (so you better keep that torch out unless you love running into traps).
    This means Darkvision will properly allow you to attack into darkness with no disadvantage, since the character will view darkness as dim light. Note that Darkvision still has a maximum range (most often 60', meaning 12 cells) - so beyond that range good old disadvantage will still be here rubbing its hands with its crappy RNG.
    Soraks will now receive the "Children of Darkness" buff while in dim light and darkness which enhances their fighting prowess, as they are creatures of the dark. Fighting Soraks? Get some light out or be prepared for a whole lot of pain.
    Note that unlike on tabletop, you will still be able to target creatures that are heavily obscured. Technically speaking you shouldn't be able to click on enemies in the darkness, but we found that it made the game very frustrating as the player could see the monsters even though the character wouldn't be able to see them, so they were unable to interact with them. And that made any non-darkvision ancestries even weaker compared to before - you wouldn't even attack with disadvantage, you would just not attack at all.

The combat console has received several improvements:
    You can now hover any attack, damage, saving throw, ability check roll to see the details of the dice roll
    You can now hover creature names to see the monster card (with your current level of knowledge of the monster)

The combat UI has also received several improvements:
    Using Dash will no longer immediately consume your action, and will instead show you the updated movement range. Moving inside the first area will only consume your movement, while moving outside that range will use your action to dash.
    Other actions such as Dodge or Disengage will now ask you for confirmation, as well as reminding you what the action does. No more terrible misclick!

The Food System is now a little less hardcore for parties without Rangers:
    The general shop in Caer Cyflen will now offer up to 50 rations instead of 10.
    The system will now properly prioritize food you find on the road, so you should consume less rations during your travels overall.
    World Map travel also allows you to automatically cast Goodberries / Create Food and Water before camping to avoid consuming your rations.

Tweaks / Improvements
    Some NPCs in Caer Cyflen now wear faction tabards. I heard it's a fashion thing, adventurers like you wouldn't get it.
    You will now be able to buy the Manacalon Rosary in the general shop in Caer Cyflen.
    Exit Areas have been made much more visible. No more wandering around looking at the ground to find the exit!
    You will now be able to click directly on the hit dice in the Short Rest panel, and the dice will properly roll on the bottom of the screen.
    Long rest fire icons now flicker. I know, I know, it doesn't sound like much but it's super cool, swear on me mum
    Added animations to Hanging Cages crashing down (Caer Lem - Goblin Hideout)
    The ground should now look a little less monotone outside Bone Keep
    Added VFX to some spells that were missing them (such as Magic Weapon)
    Made some improvements to the blueprint (M)
    Scrolls of the same spell will now stack properly
    Added visual feedback above a character when a condition (such as paralysis) is removed.
    Added a visible "Enemy Movement" banner during enemy turn, as monsters who were playing without being visible sometimes led players to believe their game was stuck.

Bugfixes / Others
    You will now receive a pop-up during Loading Screens if you're running into an infinite loading screen bug. Well hopefully you won't ever run into that issue, but at least you won't be sitting there wondering if it's ever going to finish loading or not.
    The "Alt" Key that highlights interactable objects will now properly work in combat as well
    The bug which was causing looting to take several seconds instead of being instant should now be fixed
    The ladder which was unusable in Tower of Magic is now... well, usable again. Go get that chest, folks.
    ... And plenty of other bugfixes here and there, too many to detail!

With new questlines, new items and at last the Scavengers!

In the end instead of tweaking the low-light bugged penalties they decided to just throw them all away and remove them, so they now use the original PNP rules.
    The food consumption now its reduced, which is nice because I had a party with a wood elf ranger and still starve sometimes. I do not even know what a party w/out rangers would do O.O
    deltago
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1096530/view/4709052254068756781

We got a date for full release: 27th May! It seems between the three big TT-RPG conversions we have this year (BG3, PF: WoTR and Solasta), this would be the first. =D

On May 27th 2021 after a little more than 7 months in Early Access, Solasta will finally launch its 1.0 version with all the promises made during our Kickstarter Campaign! What a ride it has been, from the small prototype made by the hands of Mathieu Girard (our CEO and Creative Director) in Summer 2018, to the core team of Tactical Adventures shaping up end of 2018, to our Kickstarter Campaign and Ruins of Telema Demo in Summer 2019, to our Early Access launch in Autumn 2020... all of this leading to full release in Spring 2021!

And we wouldn't have made it this far without you, our community, supporting Solasta in your own ways - whether by backing us on Kickstarter, buying the game on Steam / GOG, giving feedback and reporting bugs to help us improve the game, or simply talking about Solasta to your friends! To think that our Discord server, which had less than 200 members when our Kickstarter started now has grown to 5,500 members. Our tiny subreddit with 12 subscribers is now nearing 2,000 subs. And we just passed 3,000 Steam reviews and 45,000 members on the Solasta Steam group!

We'll have more exciting news leading to the final release of Solasta: Crown of the Magister - so keep an eye out for more information!

Frequently Asked Questions - Launch Edition
    Since we've announced that our next update would be the 1.0 launch of Solasta, we've seen a lot of questions going around. Considering not everyone has been on the Solasta train since our Kickstarter Campaign, we thought it'd be best to tackle them in a little FAQ so that people know what to expect from the full release of the game!

Will I need to buy the game again if I already bought the Early Access version?
    No, of course not. If you already own Solasta: Crown of the Magister, it won't vanish from your library at launch - you will simply be prompted to download an update which will upgrade your Early Access version to the full 1.0 version.

How long is the game going to be at launch?
    Originally we were aiming for around 40h in total, sidequests included - but that number will depend heavily on your playstyle and the difficulty setting of your playthrough. For instance, for those whose Early Access runs already took 30h, you may not be finishing the entire game in 40h - there is a quite a bit of content that was not included in the Early Access version to avoid spoiling the main campaign too much!

Is the level cap going to be level 10? Not level 20?
    Indeed, it has always been planned that the level cap would be level 10. We've announced from the start that you wouldn't be able to go past level 10 in our first game at launch. There are quite a few reasons for that, as each additional level would require:
    Development time to implement the new features, as well as animations, visual effects and sound effects for each class.
    Time and money to design, create and implement new and higher CR monsters (who also need their own animations and effects), otherwise you would just demolish any encounter at higher level.
    Time and money to increase the length of the campaign, meaning more work for the narrative and level design teams, as well as more recordings required.

So we always knew and said that level 10 would be the limit, given the scope of Solasta: Crown of the Magister. Which doesn't necessarily mean that the level cap will forever stay at level 10 post-launch!

Why are certain D&D classes like Barbarian and Bard missing?
    Just like with the level 10 cap, we've been clear from the beginning that the 6 classes available at launch would be the Fighter, the Rogue, the Wizard, the Cleric - and the two classes that were added through the Kickstarter Stretch Goals, the Paladin and the Ranger. There is also a 7th class that has already been announced, the Sorcerer, who will be available in a free post-launch DLC for everyone.

As for the other classes, they may be added in future DLCs but we don't want to make any promises before the game is out. That said, trust me when I say that we want to have them in Solasta as much as you do!

Where is the Battle Master Fighter? The Vengeance Paladin?
    Remember that Wizard of the Coast only granted us a license to use the SRD 5.1, not the full D&D license - meaning that we can only use what's in the SRD 5.1. This includes the vast majority of the tabletop ruleset and most of the classes, races and spells - but only one subclass for each class. This is why you won't find certain official archetypes, feats and spells in Solasta - which we replaced by homebrew content linked to our own setting.

Will my Early Access saves be compatible with the 1.0 version?
    We are doing our best to not break save compatibility, so you should be able to play the 1.0 version with your existing post Spring Update saves.

Should I start a fresh run at launch?
    Yes, we heavily suggest you start a fresh run as we will have made many changes between the current Spring Update EA version and the full 1.0 release!

How complete be the game at launch?
    Solasta will be fully complete at launch! As stated before, we have always been very transparent about what would be in the final version of our game, and you can track our promises back to our Kickstarter Campaign from 2019 - so you can go back and check if you want to.

We know some people have been burnt in the past by Early Access titles that had to release in their current state because they could no longer afford to continue development, but we can assure you this is not the case here - otherwise we wouldn't make so much noise about our upcoming launch, would we!

Can we expect further updates after that?
    While we don't plan on adding more content to the campaign, we do intend to make sure to keep an eye out for bugs, balance issues or popular improvements requested by the community - we're not going to suddenly disappear. Also, because the Dungeon Maker is a recent addition to Solasta, it will still be in Beta at launch - meaning we will be doing some Dungeon Maker upgrades as well post launch.

Depending on how Solasta performs, we might also work on some paid DLCs - but we have a game to finish first before thinking about that!

Do you plan on supporting additional languages?
    We can't promise anything for now - our four languages at launch will be English, French, German and Simplified Chinese. That said, we did spot that some community members started to work on a fan translation mod in Portuguese, so you may want to check the modding section of our Discord Server if you want to know more.

Are you going to improve facial animation?
    We did rework some of the mugs we had in our Character Creator, but the visuals and animation for our character faces won't change drastically. Keep in mind that we're not a story-focused RPG, but a Tactical RPG - where combat is one of our key focus, just like in the X-COM series.

Will you release Solasta on other platforms?
    Solasta: Crown of the Magister is currently available on PC, but we did plan to have a Mac version developed post-launch. We unfortunately can't commit to a Linux version - unfortunately the Linux player base is simply much too small for a port to be affordable. As for consoles... we'll have to see how it goes!
    edited May 2021
    So the game is finally up for the taking.
    Day one and no gamebreaking bugs so far ( let´s cross fingers)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1096530/Solasta_Crown_of_the_Magister/

Uh, to be honest I´m not sure if there´s not bugs or if everybody is so busy discussing (In three different languages) the option to use the gender-neutral pronoun "They" ingame so they do not report the bugs.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    The steam board is so depressing right now with "I'm not going to buy this woke game which is oppressing me" comments, instead of celebrating what is a great game so far
    PsicoVickanisatha
    edited May 2021
    Agreed.
    Not many games come into fruition, and this seems a good one (with the usual budget limitations)

PD: To be honest I avoid the steam forums as a rule like the plague, and now i remember why Ja!
    ilduderinokanisatha
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited May 2021
    ilduderino wrote: »
    The steam board is so depressing right now with "I'm not going to buy this woke game which is oppressing me" comments, instead of celebrating what is a great game so far

These seem to be troll bait comments, and they appear in nearly every discussion board on the site lately.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    I'm in love with this game so far. It's basically you make a whole party of four and then assign them personalities. They banter and talk like traditional RPG companions except you get to make them all. The closest I can say is it's like NWN2: Storms of Zehir's party dialogue thing but all voice acted.
    kanisatha
    Does this game have at least decent story or is true 5ed gameplay the only thing why it gets so much praise? I get the overal visuals not meeting today's standard, it's a low budget game after all. The looks is not that important anyway. But if there is no decent story, this game is a no-go for me.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,456
    So far it's interesting? but not outstanding (so far) at least. It's definitely not what I expected though.