Skip to content

NWN:EE on Google Play feedback thread 3

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
Now when there's a new patch released, we're opening the third feedback thread.

First thread.
Second thread.
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• Herr_OllofHerr_Ollof Member Posts: 2
    This is strange. My device has a 64bit processor, but now the app is not supported in google play. Android version he has 5.0
  • Peter_JohnsonPeter_Johnson Member Posts: 36
    edited July 2020
    The fact that you have 64 bit processor does not mean you must have 64 bit Android.
    There were lazy firms still using 32 bit Android on 64 bit processors.

And one more thing - I think that when I checked the application, the minimum suported Android version was 7. So I guess that is your problem.
    JuliusBorisov
    One possible thing to watch - I read complain that somebody lost saves after update.
    I cannot confirm - I had them backuped elsewhere and after copying back everything worked.
    It may be false rumour, but still better to backup them before update.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArdxDArdxD Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2020
    Could it be added, please :
    Menu bar position : Right (under photo)
    Also a way to turn the camera ( like inverted, as in like to swipe left to turn my cam to right)

As in rest , yes it is a major improvement . I love the font you added, it makes the reading more comfortable, the shrink of the chat box when you write is of convenient size aswell.
    JuliusBorisov
    It seems the game is now either more optimized or it enables to set graphic options better for low end devices.

I have (apart from other devices) older tablet with 2GB RAM. Using it, I turn down all graphic options I can on it. In the previous version it still seemed a bit choppy, in the current versions it seems fluent (of course again turning down all graphic options).

Though even so - why cannot we have support for lower than native resolutions in Android? I guess that if that was possible, it would be even better - the tablet has native resolution 1920 x 1200, so I think the game wastes resources to render unnecessarily high resolution.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    Is there a way to change settings.tml in game? Or are we supposed to use a text editor?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Proleric wrote: »
    Is there a way to change settings.tml in game? Or are we supposed to use a text editor?

In the chat window, enter ##cfg debug.panel.visible 1 to show those 5 menu buttons at the top of the screen. It's not very convenient to use because the settings UI doesn't scale, but it mostly works on mobile.

You should be able to enter console commands this way. For example ##DebugMode 1 works similarly.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    Thanks. i see what you mean - debug.panel.visible works, but the text is almost too small to read, even on a tablet.

##DebugMode 1 works fine, as before.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BeldarisBeldaris Member Posts: 1
    "One possible thing to watch - I read complain that somebody lost saves after update.
    I cannot confirm - I had them backuped elsewhere and after copying back everything worked.
    It may be false rumour, but still better to backup them before update."

That was me that lost all my saves.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    There had been an issue with save files when the game had been updated - but we fixed it the next day.
    edited November 2020
    Hey everyone! Those trying out our new Android beta on Google Play - please fill in this survey, it will greatly help us.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited November 2020
    I still get stuck behind/in furniture to the point that I can't get out of it and have to reload. That's on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 with Android 10. Everything else seems to work fine.
    JuliusBorisov
  • edenistedenist Member Posts: 6
    Using the beta, and it's already behind the desktop version so save games are not compatible. This is a breaking feature for me as I usually play between PC and android with synced save files.
    edenist wrote: »
    Using the beta, and it's already behind the desktop version so save games are not compatible. This is a breaking feature for me as I usually play between PC and android with synced save files.

Cross-platform network play is possible, but saves between mobile and PC are usually incompatible due to more frequent desktop releases than mobile, and the NWN OC Prelude module is different on mobile.
    edenist
  • edenistedenist Member Posts: 6
    edenist wrote: »

Cross-platform network play is possible, but saves between mobile and PC are usually incompatible due to more frequent desktop releases than mobile, and the NWN OC Prelude module is different on mobile.

Oh ok. Well if that's the way it's intended then thanks for the confirmation ;-)
    I'll just keep separate campaigns on each device then.
    Thanks for the fast reply!
    JuliusBorisov
    Hey! There is one player who recently fulfilled the survey and mentioned some problems on their Lenovo Chromebook Duet (thank you very much, btw!). Can this player comment in this thread so that I could PM them?
  • FluentFluent Member Posts: 74
    i've played 14 different user modules now, and have over 300 hours spent with the android version. I love it! Here's a few improvements I'd offer:

An ability to move the camera with the right hand while moving with the left. A lot of times I want to turn the camera while moving. Maybe when stationary the two fingers would zoom in/out but while moving it would be locked to movement of the camera.

Tilt function somehow. Maybe left finger long press and hold plus right finger up/down.

The "use" button is kind of useless, save for the attack function, and once in a blue moon a door. I feel it's prominence isn't really useful since it's so jittery. One second it's on a door then the next it's on a chat icon. Just too unreliable.

For some reason, intense fire effects, spell effects such as entanglement, etc., cause massive slowdown. I use a Samsung S6, best tablet on the market. It just seems weird that entanglement etc. should cause such slowdown.

Multiple quicksaves. I can't tell u how many times I wished there were 2 or 3 rotating quicksaves. Having one could potentially hurt you if something unwanted happens, you'd have to load a previous hard save. Please add more quicksave slots!

It also would be nice to get some custom UI skin consideration. I use Reborn UI and it works mostly good except for the issues I've noted in the technical support forum. More skins and old-school skins like a baldur's gate one would be awesome!

That's it for now, really enjoying the mobile version and it's completely made my PC version obsolete. Thanks guys, much love!

- fluent
  • AntonZAntonZ Member Posts: 6
    Hey there! Tried to play nwn with a bluetooth mouse and a keyboard on my samsung phone. It responds perfectly well to the keyboard, however the mouse behaves weird. I'm able to activate onscreen buttons (inventory, character sheet, etc.) but clicking on the ground to move or on the characters/objects to interact does nothing. Any ideas please? I'm pretty sure I've seen someone mentioning on reddit about successfully playing nwn with a mouse/keyboard on Android.
  • AntonZAntonZ Member Posts: 6
    AntonZ wrote: »
    Hey there! Tried to play nwn with a bluetooth mouse and a keyboard on my samsung phone. It responds perfectly well to the keyboard, however the mouse behaves weird. I'm able to activate onscreen buttons (inventory, character sheet, etc.) but clicking on the ground to move or on the characters/objects to interact does nothing. Any ideas please? I'm pretty sure I've seen someone mentioning on reddit about successfully playing nwn with a mouse/keyboard on Android.

Awesome. Works now after the latest update. Thanks, Beamdog!
    JuliusBorisov
  • MrDamageMrDamage Member Posts: 210
    I have an android phone. Was curious if multiplayer is working. I got the game also for pc on Beamdog. Im using that cd key in the app folder where it asks for cd key as i dont know where the google play cd key is or if there is one.
    The game just hangs on a box with something like
    "Searching for your cd key"
    edited May 2021
    I would like to ask about how to get to the NWN saves on Android 11 when using SD card. In past it was easy to go to Android/data/com.beamdog.nwnandroid/files/... but now I do not see there anything.
    I suspect it is about Android 11.
    I have Android 11 on my Samsung Galaxy M51 and the game is installed on the SD card.
    Whenever I go Android/data, then it is empty. I have read there is some workaround for Android/data in the main storage, but probably none for Android/data on storage card.

Does anybody know what to do? This is rather critical, since it will mean losing saves when changing device (so inability to share saves and starting from scratch when moving to newer device).
    Till now I moved through multiple phones/tables just by copying "saves" directory, but it seems not possible any more?

Could there be some way added to export/import save for example to Downloads directory?

Edit:
    Now I realized - if it is not possible to get there, it would also means problem with editing cfg. files, adding any custom content etc.
    So what is the solution here? Should I reinstall the game on internal storage and hope I can access Android/Data there with some workaround? Just forgetting my saves I have made since Android 11 installation...
    Also - should not the NWN directory be moved somewhere else in future NWN versions on Android? I guess that allowing user access to the directory is vital in order to be able to install mods.
    MrDamage wrote: »
    I have an android phone. Was curious if multiplayer is working. I got the game also for pc on Beamdog. Im using that cd key in the app folder where it asks for cd key as i dont know where the google play cd key is or if there is one.
    The game just hangs on a box with something like
    "Searching for your cd key"

Just opt-in the beta of NWN:EE on Google Play, the problem should be solved there.
    I would like to ask about how to get to the NWN saves on Android 11 when using SD card.

There are a few file managers that work with Android 11. Try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore
    - should work with Android/data. But, the "Files" app itself should be fine. Just not "Files by Google".
    edited May 2021
    I would like to ask about how to get to the NWN saves on Android 11 when using SD card.

There are a few file managers that work with Android 11. Try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore
    - should work with Android/data. But, the "Files" app itself should be fine. Just not "Files by Google".

Thanks for the suggestion but no, that should work just for the Android/data on the internal storage, but not for the Android/data on SD card.
    It looks like the Android/data on SD card is not fully accessible by any means in Android 11 unless rooted. Or by taking the unencrypted SD card and reading it on PC.

I guess the time to reinstall NWN into internal storage... Google security paranoia means that the game is crippled when being installed on SD card under Android 11 (because of inability to access the game directory from outside).

Edited:
    I took out the SD card from phone, put it to card reader on PC. The "Android/data" on SD card was accessible, but there was not "com.beamdog.nwnandroid" there... Put the card back, started NWN and it started to load resources as if it was just newly installed from Google Play. And it looks like new installation. So I guess my recent saves which were there and worked just yesterday went the way of dodo. :-(
    Ok, I will delete the game and reinstall from scratch.

Edited 2:
    I reinstalled the game and started it to created save. But again - I cannot get to it in any way (trying both X-plore and Total Commander - which both have workaround for Android/data). It seems that on Android 11 the game files seems to be copied to some private location where nobody else than the game can get to them. This I think is a major issue - I think the game should ask where to put files.
    And since it means I am unable to get any of my old backuped saves back, I guess I have to wait till it is fixed. :-(
    Post edited by Peter_Johnson on
    JuliusBorisov
    To pull files off a SD card, with your tablet connected to your PC via USB (and SD card inside the tablet), we suggest trying a developer command from your PC's command line:
    adb pull /sdcard/android/data

If you have an old phone running, an older version of Android, you could pop the SD card into that old device and copy the save files from the SD card into a network drive or wherever to get them onto the new internal install.
    Well, the problem is deeper than getting old saves. I gave up my recent progress and decided to reinstall the game and to copy my older saves there...

*But* I seem to be unable to do it. It was allways about copying them to Android/data/com.beamdog.nwnandroid/files/... . However it is empty now.

Saying that, I am able to start new game and save just fine. But the save is nowhere visible, so I cannot replace it by my old saves.

As I see it, I could play the game just fine, but I am unable to manipulate saves or any other game files in any way.
    Again - this is not that I would not know where to look, I had moved saves and added custom content just fine in past, before Android 11.
    The save files are still in the same spot. The Android 11 operating system is just preventing the file manager application from seeing them because the operating system considers them private to the NWN:EE app. This is a problem with Google and their OS, we hope it'll be changed in the future.

Our developers usually just plug Android 11 devices into their PC USB port and manipulate files in Windows Explorer or a similar program. We haven't tried it on a device with an SD card, though. The "Files" app on tablets shows the Android/data folder as empty because it doesn't have permission to read that folder.
    edited May 2021
    Our developers usually just plug Android 11 devices into their PC USB port and manipulate files in Windows Explorer or a similar program.

Well, I guess It may look like if I am spamming here with something you cannot reproduce, so I probably end, but it really does not work properly. I have completely removed the NWN today and installed it again (it did not ask where to install, so I assume that it installed internally though I have always SD card in my phone).
    I plugged my phone to PC through USB and checked (in Windows Explorer):

a) This PC\Mirek's Galaxy M51\Phone\Android\data\com.beamdog.nwnandroid\files
    - it is empty

b) This PC\Mirek's Galaxy M51\Card\Android\data
    - it is empty

The game itself works, I have two saves (quicksave and one more). So there definitely should be something.
    I am using Samsung Galxy M51 with Android 11, using the latest firmware update I installed on the 19th April.
    JuliusBorisov
    Most Android distributions contain a very well hidden file manager that can bypass Android 11 permissions.

This may be a workaround for you. We tried it on our Samsung tablet (Android 11) and copied the save games from internal storage to the tablet's Downloads folder. Worked fine.

We used this one:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marc.files

Well, I tried, no luck. That means: I can see Android/data/com.beamdog.nwnandroid/files , but it is empty.
    The last idea I have - could it be that the NWN Android install somehow silently defaults to installing to SD card (it was there before, but I unistalled and installed again, so it should not remember), where this method to get there does not work?
    Otherwise I guess I will have to wait till others hit this problem (well, I guess it will come). :-(

By the way: could not it be the best solution of this Google filesystem paranoia if the game asked where to download after it is started? Then it would be no problem to choose location (the NWN does its downloading on its own anyway - small game is installed and after starting it, it downloads a lot of data on its own).
This discussion has been closed.