Skip to content

COVID-19

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    Got my first haircut in 6 or 7 months today. Struck by the difference between this establishment and everywhere else. Here is an example of how ALL businesses should be run during this time:

1.) A mask required to enter. They will provide one, but it's mandarory.

2.) I was asked if I'd traveled or had a COVID-19 test in the last six weeks.

3.) Had to sanitize my hands.

4.) Was required to have my temperature taken.

This is a salon. If they can do this, EVERYONE can do this. The tools to do so could have been paid for by government grants or even just direct funds. But the most ANY other business I have had to enter do is ENCOURAGE masks, even though I routinely see people without them. I am CERTAIN that in places like New Zealand and South Korea, the procedure I did at the salon is the bare minimum. Here, it's the exception.

You didn't lecture them about your God-given right to recklessly endanger them? What kind of American are you?
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    Got my first haircut in 6 or 7 months today. Struck by the difference between this establishment and everywhere else. Here is an example of how ALL businesses should be run during this time:

1.) A mask required to enter. They will provide one, but it's mandarory.

2.) I was asked if I'd traveled or had a COVID-19 test in the last six weeks.

3.) Had to sanitize my hands.

4.) Was required to have my temperature taken.

This is a salon. If they can do this, EVERYONE can do this. The tools to do so could have been paid for by government grants or even just direct funds. But the most ANY other business I have had to enter do is ENCOURAGE masks, even though I routinely see people without them. I am CERTAIN that in places like New Zealand and South Korea, the procedure I did at the salon is the bare minimum. Here, it's the exception.

You didn't lecture them about your God-given right to recklessly endanger them? What kind of American are you?

I asked if the have had to turn anyone away because of temperature. She said a few, but oftentimes it was someone coming in from a hot car and they would allow them a few minutes to cool off. The signs are clearly posted on the outside. There are now plastic barriers in place in front of the check-in/register desk. All very deliberate, they clearly do this with everyone who comes in. It is mostly for the protection of their own employees, as they had a massive rush mid-summer when the mandated closures were lifted. I waited another 3 or 4 months, and when I looked the amount of hair on the floor, it could have been a small animal.

The only places I see taking this seriously that I have been to are the grocery store (they "require" masks but I often see people without them, but all employees do wear them at all times, and MOST patrons do), the pharmacy (this is obvious, as most people who are visiting are old or taking medication to control a medical condition), and now the salon, which was far and away more stringent than the other two.

The gym has nothing but a "senior hour" from 2-3pm (as I've mentioned before I self-isolate there by going after 10pm). The local Family Dollar store (basically an off-brand Wal-Mart) says they require them but no one does, not even the employees. I've stopped the liquor store a couple times because you get a free bag of ice if you make a purchase (I usually just get a couple 20 oz. sodas) and neither the employees or patrons wear them. The library branch in the same complex requires them. It's basically split between businesses doing something, and doing absolutely nothing.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    To be fair, that salon is working with "this person will be in close contact with an employee for a significant length of time". For an ordinary retail establishment, less stringent procedures are appropriate. Still, masks should be required outright. They're the sort of measure where it really has to be universal to work properly.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Meh, with nearly 200,000 deaths over here, I don't see "less stringent" as anything less than being complicit in adding to the total.
    My boss just sent me this. I have no idea why I hadn't heard about this article before.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/us/mask-protests-1918.amp.html

The more things change, the more they stay the same...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    My boss just sent me this. I have no idea why I hadn't heard about this article before.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/us/mask-protests-1918.amp.html

I liked the ‘open faced sneezers to be arrested’

Just imagine that today.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325

Alas, such has always been the nature of humanity. Despite all of centuries of technological, medical and sociological progress, the fundamental nature of humanity itself is little changed from our prehistoric forebears.
    Trump has the virus. What a surprise. Reliance on testing alone, with the known unreliability of the tests had predictable results. Color me not shocked. Moron...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    That seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Interesting experiment being trialled at Helsinki airport, Finland -

Helsinki airport uses sniffer dogs to detect Covid

TR
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    Arvia wrote: »
    In my children's middle school they have quarantined 60 students and 2 teachers. One positive teacher has been confirmed.

They still haven't cancelled the traditional 6th graders' ski camp that's supposed to take place in January. They seriously still consider taking 60 kids on a bus from Germany to Austria for 5 days if the regulations allow it. I keep telling my daughter not to get her hopes up. I'm seriously considering keeping her out of it even if travel restrictions won't apply.

Sounds kinda scary. I am sure your anxiety level went through the roof. Bus ride, sleeping arrangements, kind of a lot of confinement with other people. Also, I have only ever went skiing one weekend in my life on Zugspitze(don’t ask, I was basically the fastest snowball on the mountain) maybe not the same but you took train to get there, my one friend that I went with says her children use the sky tram to get there now, can’t imagine that is any less risky from a COVID standpoint. I would not think that being on the slopes is very risky for COVID but the rest seems kind of scary. Hard decision, your children’s happiness or their safety but I suppose we have been living with that for a while. I feel for you. <3
    edited October 2020
    Only just found this TED article, from September 16th 2020, that seems quite informative -

5 things scientists now know about COVID-19 — and 5 they’re still figuring out

TR
    I was wondering when some news would come about about the Russian vaccine. Apparently it was good enough for Putin's youngest daughter to take it but he's still 'thinking about it'...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/27/health/russia-coronavirus-vaccine-sputnik-v-reality-check/index.html
  • Adam_en_tiumAdam_en_tium Member Posts: 99
    In France too with about the same restrictions I think. It starts friday (tomorrow).

I'm glad I moved in a house out of the city since the first lockdown and will be able to enjoy a garden...
    As England (but not the rest of the UK) is about to enter a new lockdown from Thursday, I find the following section of lyrics, from "Ruby Tuesday" by the Stones, to be rather appropriate -
    Don't question why she needs to be so free
    She'll tell you it's the only way to be
    She just can't be chained
    To a life where nothing's gained
    Or nothing's lost, at such a cost
    FWIW I prefer the version by Melanie Safka.

TR
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Here's a nice graph on how one person with Covid can chain infect 60+ people in less than 3 weeks.
    icj735uyc6is.jpg
    This BBC News article on Danish Mink Farms could be worrying especially due to the mutation of the virus.

TR
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    This BBC News article on Danish Mink Farms could be worrying especially due to the mutation of the virus.

TR

I agree it's a concern. The UK has responded by adding Denmark to the list of countries from which travelers returning need to go into quarantine.
    edited November 2020
    While true I would think that the USA and Canada should also be concerned as mink are native to both countries. It is probably analogous to the situation with the plague (Yersinia pestis) being in the wildlife near San Francisco.

TR
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @jonesr65: I'm so sorry to hear that. That's a horrific situation. I hope you all can manage the virus load... maybe masks in the house could help (even a slight decrease in the viruses transmitted could be really important) even if total safety isn't an option.
  • jonesr65jonesr65 Member Posts: 66
    Thank you all. We've been trying do to all that, I feel once I get my wife thru the next few days she will get thru it and so far the rest of us any symptoms we had are fading. I am still worried about the long term effects, she has Lupus and an autonomic disorder, I have undifferentiated connective tissue disease, and my daughter has psoriatic arthritis and a son with an eating disorder. They just don't know what the long term affect even a minor case will have on our health. I just have pray we all get better along with everyone that has had it, has it, and will get it.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Emergency use authorization is all but guaranteed now.

This vaccine needs to be stored and shipped at -80c so logistics will be slightly complicated.

First doses will be for healthcare workers.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    We are still months if not half a year away from any chance of a widespread vaccine. In the short-term, we are still looking at a pending disaster in the US, especially with what will be an absentee lame-duck President for the next 2 1/2 months.
  • jonesr65jonesr65 Member Posts: 66
    Well all three of my COVID test for my boys and myself came back negative, but my symptoms keep getting a worse over the last few days. Just going to have wait it out and see if any of us do get worse.