Skip to content

EET and other mods for an almost new (and confused) player

124»

Comments

• LagoneroLagonero Member Posts: 56
    edited December 2020
    @Cahir
    Oh I see, that makes a lot of sense. Honest opinion, is it worth it to reinstall from scratch to make it work? If it is, I don't mind doing it.

Thank you :)
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Lagonero wrote: »
    @Cahir
    Oh I see, that makes a lot of sense. Honest opinion, is it worth it to reinstall from scratch to make it work? If it is, I don't mind doing it.

I didn't play it, but knowing LavaDelVortel's work, I'd say, "Hell, yeah, it's worth it!". But I'm not 100% sure it will work om EET, even installing on BGEE. It's just a guess.
    edited December 2020
    Cahir wrote: »
    Lagonero wrote: »
    @Cahir

I didn't play it, but knowing LavaDelVortel's work, I'd say, "Hell, yeah, it's worth it!". But I'm not 100% sure it will work om EET, even installing on BGEE. It's just a guess.
    Ok ,if that's the case , I'll wait to make sure it works and I'll launch PI with a 600+ lines txt file (hopefully) for the last time :#
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,702
    I have no idea how EET installs, but I think that installing on BGEE before EET should work. I guess that the mod takes what's there and then modifies stuff dynamically, so yeah. I suppose it should be ok, BUT I do not play EET myself and have not tested my mod this way.
    I have no idea how EET installs, but I think that installing on BGEE before EET should work. I guess that the mod takes what's there and then modifies stuff dynamically, so yeah. I suppose it should be ok, BUT I do not play EET myself and have not tested my mod this way.

Thank you, I'll probably try in the near future, I'm currently testing the game a bit with my current set up to see if everything is working fine (so far so good, I'm so happy :D ) and if it's stable I'll consider re-installing it with your mod among the BG1 quests.
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    If you can get Shades of the Sword Coast to work when installed before EET, then go for it. If not, then I'd suggest skipping it for now.

Regarding the error messages:

1. SCS - I'd check with @DavidW. This being your first time through these fights, it's probably just fine to skip them if they are giving you too many problems to install.
    2. Corthala Romantique - This is a critical error. I'm not sure if it is because of how PI parses the install or if there is another reason for the failure. I know that some old mods didn't have distinct components and had subcomponents as options during installation which caused issues with PI. This may be a cause. Skip if you can't get it to work.
    3. Might & Guile. Internal name too long. I've been told in the past that this is a harmless error message. Should be safe.
    4. Shadow Magic - Harmless warning message. Should be safe.
    5. Turnabout - can't tell from error message. Leave out if you can't get it to install.
    6. Bardic Wonders - Harmless warning message. Should be safe.
    7. Shades of the Sword Coast - You can try installing this before EET, it may or may not work. I would probably leave it off for now.
    edited December 2020
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    If you can get Shades of the Sword Coast to work when installed before EET, then go for it. If not, then I'd suggest skipping it for now.

Regarding the error messages:

1. SCS - I'd check with @DavidW. This being your first time through these fights, it's probably just fine to skip them if they are giving you too many problems to install.
    2. Corthala Romantique - This is a critical error. I'm not sure if it is because of how PI parses the install or if there is another reason for the failure. I know that some old mods didn't have distinct components and had subcomponents as options during installation which caused issues with PI. This may be a cause. Skip if you can't get it to work.
    3. Might & Guile. Internal name too long. I've been told in the past that this is a harmless error message. Should be safe.
    4. Shadow Magic - Harmless warning message. Should be safe.
    5. Turnabout - can't tell from error message. Leave out if you can't get it to install.
    6. Bardic Wonders - Harmless warning message. Should be safe.
    7. Shades of the Sword Coast - You can try installing this before EET, it may or may not work. I would probably leave it off for now.

@Caedwyr

Your help has been invaluable, thank you so much.
    I think I'll leave it at that for now, I'll just skip the component that had critical errors since they aren't crucial , in fact I just finished making my character after tinkering about with some stuff to see if all was working as intended.

I'd also like to thank @Cahir , @AntonII , @jastey
    and everyone else that contributed to this thread: you guys were all really quick to respond, patient and made this process way easier than it could have been, and your suggestion (as far as I saw for now, at least) were spot on considering what type of set up I was looking for.

To make this playthrough even more engaging for myself, I decided to keep a sort of "log/diary" from the perspective of my charname as they go through the sword coast and beyond, trying to stay in character as much as possible.

This would help me not min-maxing as much as I might do otherwise, and it would also help me if I have to take a slightly longer break between sessions so that I can more easily pick up from where I left. Would you guys mind if I posted this log in a thread here (I assume the BG 2 EE subforum is the appropriate place) ? Sort of a way to give back to the community if that makes any sense.
    I personally think it would be a really cool idea, and I might also share some thoughts and reactions (as a first time bg2 player) out of character.

Either way, I'm sure this won't be the last time I make an installation like this, but so far you guys really helped me streamline the process and I'm very thankful for it.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    Please keep a log here. I think everyone appreciates to hear how things go and what your thoughts are on particular mods that you recognize during your playthrough.
    edited December 2020
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Please keep a log here. I think everyone appreciates to hear how things go and what your thoughts are on particular mods that you recognize during your playthrough.

Awesome, I'm working on the first entry!

EDIT: I managed to instal from scratch, only non harmful warnings this time, and the game is going smoothly :)
    Post edited by Lagonero on
  • 311stylee311stylee Member Posts: 9
    This thread has been super helpful for me getting my mods setup, thank you to everyone who posted, especially Caedwyr's giant mod list. One problem I had with my install: there seems to be a conflict between Glam's NPC mods and Recorder BG1 when used with EET. With Project Infinity:
    BG1EE:
    DlcMerger:1:Merge "Siege of Dragonspear" DLC

BG2EE:
    EET:0:EET core (resource importation)
    glamnpcpack:0:Glam's NPC Pack for BG:EE, BGT and BG TUTU
    Recorder:0:Recorder NPC MoD
    Recorder:1:Recorder's Music
    EET_end:0:Standard installation

You get this error when installing EET end:
    #ERROR: [PDIALOG.2da] -> [override/PDIALOG.2da] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("ERROR: READ_2DA_ENTRY_FORMER failed on variable %pdialog_35_5%"))
    #Stopping installation because of error.
    #ERROR: [CAMPAIGN.2DA] -> [.../CAMPAIGN.2DA] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("ERROR: READ_2DA_ENTRY_FORMER failed on variable %pdialog_35_5%"))
    #Stopping installation because of error.
    #ERROR Installing [EET end (last mod in install order) -> Standard installation], rolling back to previous state
    #Will uninstall 1 files for [EET_end\EET_end.tp2] component 0.
    #Uninstalled 1 files for [EET_end\EET_end.tp2] component 0.
    #ERROR: Failure("ERROR: READ_2DA_ENTRY_FORMER failed on variable %pdialog_35_5%")

But if I reverse their order and install Recorder before Glam's NPC mods it seems to work fine. Not sure why it didn't happen to the others here, maybe it's due to recent changes to Recorder by @Skitia? BG1 Recorder and Glam's NPC mod installs just fine with EET separately. Just wanted to post this in case anyone else comes across the same problem.
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,061
    Almost 2 years later, but the reason why Glam's NPC mods because this is because they add additional NPCs into pdialog.2da that don't need to be in there, and it causes issues with EET when you add any mod after Glam's NPCs.

If Glam removes these unnecessary additions, you could install it in any order. Otherwise, GLam's NPCs must be the last custom NPC mod you install for an EET game.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Here are Glam's NPCs but with Skitia's recommended changes to make the mod EET compatible.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    @Endarire do not spread changed mod packages, and in other places than the official mod forum where the author has no chance of seeing them, please.