Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    Ah, Big B going down once more to the mighty Cavalier called @histamiini - nice! ;o)

Okay, i got your point @Grond0 and - yeah - any cheesy ways around Tyr should lead to instant death.

But i found a legit way around the problem of getting the Tome of Wisdom from Chanthalas Ulbright. I just finished the Marek & Lothander quest line first and then challenged Jalantha Mistmyr, the high priestress of Umberlee who is not marked as innocent and granted 6000 XP after getting stunned and hacked to pieces. So with the Tome from Candlekeep Ivy can now reach 21 Wisdom for an extra Level 3 and 5 spell - great!
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    @Harpagornis are you using vanilla shapeshifter or SCS remix?

On an aside I'm remembering weimar's hilarious shapeshifter rebalancing with its immunity to normal weapons for regular werewolf form and 3HP/second regeneration for greater form.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    Btw what is Ilmater saying for guest items that cannot be sold? My inventory is filling fast in SoA, with Watcher's Keep Vigil Stone and Scroll, and Silver Pantaloons. Luckily I never identified Golden Pantaloons and those can be sold. But it feels kind of bothersome carrying all these items the whole game.

Scored pretty hard early in SoA. Don't know if it's random drop but Bala's Axe, Wizard Slayer was in the Sewage Golem room. It Dispel's once per day at lv0 and ignores level.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,830
    @Harpagornis are you using vanilla shapeshifter or SCS remix?

On an aside I'm remembering weimar's hilarious shapeshifter rebalancing with its immunity to normal weapons for regular werewolf form and 3HP/second regeneration for greater form.

Given the numbers quoted, it's definitely the SCS "improved" version. Damage 1d8+Str two-handed instead of 1d6+2+Str one-handed, 2 APR + haste rather than a flat 2 APR. One weakness is that it's only a +1 enchantment, unlike all the other level 7 druid forms which are +2.

SCS pushes that form back to level 7, and adds a "lesser" werewolf form at level 1. The level 1 form only has 1 APR, 18/76 Str, and base AC 4; you're better off using a sling and bullets most of the time.

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    I've continued to suffer from this strange idea some people have that I should work for a living :s. I did note a while ago though someone posting that there was no reason to play a single-class mage. That still seems like a pretty good option to me, despite the Cataclysm restrictions, so I've rolled up an illusionist to have a go with.

In the meantime though, the latest version of Shagrat the shaman has made enough progress to justify posting. He's just hit level 8, which provides the option of using a single nymph for support. I'm interpreting dancing as a single summon spell, so Malar's curse prevents using nymphs to lead enemies into pre-summoned spirits (Shagrat has lifted Mystra's curse), but they should still be pretty useful in other ways.

It's been a relatively smooth run so far. The closest shave was attempting to finish off the greater basilisk near Mutamin after Korax had gone hostile. That was eventually done just in time with LMD - that spell was in mid-air as the basilisk sprang back to life, fortunately not quite in time to focus its gaze :o.

Here's an overall summary of his progress, together with a few screenshots of his adventures and his current character record:
    rm5xivqnrm20.jpglt49w6y7dlza.jpg6fju2pi5b28a.jpg9qkcpp44zqva.jpgt1m91o6ebm5o.jpgc2uo5ic8waus.jpgxwchgt9wbvbg.jpg
    edited February 2021
    Damn. I realized just too late that I'd reflexively put items into store in the ankheg nest while delivering shells to Beregost. As I'd only dropped them, not recovered them again, I decided that wasn't a game-ending offence. However, the loss of all my specialty potions, among other things, is a bit of a pain ...
    Perhaps still annoyed by the above problem, Shagrat met his doom at Durlag's. He used a potion of mirror eyes to run past the first one, then started throwing area damage at it from out of sight. I was aware of the danger that sight lines are not necessarily shared by opponents, but wasn't quite as careful about placement as I could have been - and a gaze attack appeared out of the blackness as the mirror potion expired ...
    Sometimes everything goes wrong: Ivy the Shapeshifter had killed the Demon Knight and the mighty Aec Letec only to die against kobolds. Got ambushed by 16 of those small little critters and for whatever reason i tried to kill one as they did not hit me but then... yeah... they surrounded Ivy... and suddenly the Kobold Commandos started hitting... so Ivy thought drinking Inv Potion would make them move but... nope. After healing up again (Durlags Goblet was in the inventory so no switching allowed) she managed to nearly kill one but the beast retreated and was instantly replaced by another one... poison ticked in... Slow Poison got interrupted by another hit... game over...
    edited February 2021
    Thought I would try a one of the new IWD spells for evil clerics only "cloud of pestilence", which is nice but appears to be classed as a summon since I get "you cannon summon any more creatures" when I try and stack it if i have skeletons up already. trying with no summons active and I can stack 5 just fine for 15hp/round damage for 4 rounds, which is quite nice, but the blindness and ability score reduction coupled with the supposed immunity of skeleton warriors is the main draw

I was wondering if the ability drain (3pts str and dex) were cumulative and if this could be used to insta-kill things by draining them below 1str or dex but stacking 5 on a wolf doesn't seem to do that, despite them having 9 dex. Ctrl-Q seems to show that the ability score drain is only applied once (down to 6 dex), while the combat log shows blindness procing for each cast every round. It still might be of use for some things since an AoE 1-turn blindness effect combined with a -3 str (and dex) debuff is not to be underestimated. This might actually be better than conviction + skellies, if (if) enemies fail their saves.

edit: as an extreme bonus, it doesn't effect the caster, so Abigail can go hog wild with her hammer inside the cloud. Not bad for a level 4 priest spell.
    Re: Demon knight, I am wondering what happens if you paralyze it before breaking the mirror - since it can be kited indefinitely so long as you can deal with the power-words and dispels. Does the mirror break paralysis, or does it summon a paralyzed mirror fiend to match the paralyzed demon, or does it summon a non paralyzed mirror fiend to whale on a paralyzed demon?
    @alice_ashpool: I think i can answer this question cause if my beetles manage to stun the demon knight and i break the mirror nothing will happen. The fiend will only appear after stun wears of and in my cases this was enough to get the kill with combined fire! Should be the same with the wand of paralyzation!
  • AvidGamerFanAvidGamerFan Member Posts: 157
    edited February 2021
    I'm thinking about starting a Cleric/Thief run, but despite having their weapon restrictions removed by Use Any Item, they still can't put any proficiencies in non-blunt weapons. Would it be kosher to use an editor to assign points in categories that thieves would usually use for the (three) proficiencies gained after UAI, as there's no longer a reason for them being unavailable? I'm not confident about their chances in a WS run (coalition attacks with no amulets of missiles = dead C/T), but I'm considering the adventurers' challenge.

Also, does anyone know what level the Dispel Magic from Bala's Axe is cast at? BG Wiki says it's at the caster's priest level, which effectively means that only shamans (along with rangers and paladins, to a lesser extent) can use it properly. I had hoped that my WS archer could use it to avoid the long kiting session with Sarevok, but testing seems to show it's as good as useless.

One interesting use for Cloud of Pestilence, @alice_ashpool, might be for C/M to use as an extra way of decreasing Belhifet's Strength and/or Dexterity prior to a Contagion-based kill.
    Thanks to some hints of @AvidGamerFan the Palace Ambush was like a walk in the park... Thanks again @AvidGamerFan! ;o)

You're welcome, @Harpagornis! :blush: I also have a WS avenger on the go, with the aim to dual to a fighter in ToB (going to need Lum the Mad's machine to up their Strength, since they can't get the Strength tome). They're my favourite type of druid - it's so nice to have a use for those level 2 spell slots - but if you're running a near-identical character, I'll concentrate on some other classes (besides Angelo, of course!).
    Post edited by AvidGamerFan on
    @AvidGamerFan: I am pretty sure that the Dispel Magic from Balas Axe is Level 0 and ignores level. Pretty powerful indeed! And... yeah... Avenger Druids are so much fun and my plan is also to dual class to Fighter... if Lilli ever manages to get through SoD... we will see! Oh, i used the Violet Potion to get the Strength Tome as she has another plan for Big B in mind!
    Oh, i used the Violet Potion to get the Strength Tome as she has another plan for Big B in mind!

Yes - but that doesn't help someone operating under WS restrictions ...