Skip to content

BG/BGII Characters Pinups

KillravenKillraven Member Posts: 115
edited December 2012 in Fan Creations
Hi everybody,
to celebrate this new edition of BG, I have done a set of Pinups of all Joinable Characters of BG and BGII, of two Player Characters (Human Male 1 and 2, selectable portraits in both BG and BGII) and of the main foes in BG and BGII (Sarevok, Tamoko, Bodhi, Irenicus and Kangaxx).

The pictures are available as a slide-show at:
http://marioroma.webs.com/

Each picture is a photoshopped image rendered in Poser Pro 2012, using Gen4 3D models from DAZ3D.

Right now they only have a white background and blank expressions, but I am planning to keep working on them: I would to like to add a background, make their face more expressive (like I've done with Xzar) and maybe even make some battle scenes.

I hope You will enjoy the pics as much as did while working on them.
Post edited by Coriander on
kilroy_was_hereQuartzPermidion_StarkLadyEibhilinRhettneleotheszerufus_hobartginger_hammerMortiannaEleutheroschickenhedBrudeSophiaNecdilzormickyh44HaHaCharadeLordsDarkKnight185The_Guilty_PartyHecklerMatteoTuriniGrandeCalish74Eldoth_KronIllustairSkippyphyltyboBaldursCatSCARY_WIZARDSimonJmarkthesharkAlparonShapiroKeatsDarkMageIzrealMaiNoKen

Comments

• kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Let me be the first to congratulate you on your hard work! I can't imagine how much time this must have taken.
    Killraven
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    Wow, nice. I thought Kivan looked great, faithful to being an Elven Ranger without looking too frolicky. Perfect representation of him.

And Faldorn I was like whoooooaaa okay I never personally thought of her as smokin' hot but why not XD

Kangaxx looked pretty legit too.
    Brude
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Excellent artwork. My only criticism would be that some of the male characters could look a little more rugged, especially Male 1, who I'd always assumed was some sort of pit-fighter.
    Killraven
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Very nicely done. I really like the way you have interpreted some of the characters. I think Tamoko is my favourite.
    AntonKillraven
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Whoah! I loved it - my favorite one was Khalid =D
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Loved em. They're all great. I recognized almost all of them immediately, even if your interpretations weren't always accurate to the portraits. I like the way you've reimagined all of them.
    ...Also Xan is adorable in blue.
    Killraven
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    The renders really are beautiful. I can't wait to see all the characters with face morphs :) Xzar's pinup is an example that you can capture a bit of the character's personality through the facial expression and I'm curious to see which expression you'll choose for what character.
    As they stand now, my favorite are, in no particular order: Aerie, Xzar, Haer'dalis, Skie, Shar'Teel, Khalid, Keldorn, Garrick and - I can't believe I'm saying this - Eldoth.

Seeing Tamoko I can really see why Sarevok keeps her around, she looks ...very proficient... with big swords..
    Killraven
  • KillravenKillraven Member Posts: 115
    Thanks to all of You for Your kind comments!
    It took me almost 6 months to model all of them

I agree most of them look "nice and clean", but I can add some "scar and blood" layers to the skin wrapping their bodies.

...and yes "pin-up" is maybe not the correct word ;-) , I meant a portraits that's intentionally a pose for a poster to pin against the wall
    I will post more pics as they come

cheers
    edited November 2012
    ajwz said:

These are really cool even though they are not what I expected when I saw the word "Pin-ups"

Heh heh, yup.

I recognized almost all of them immediately, even if your interpretations weren't always accurate to the portraits.

Me too, I think the one that was most off for me was Kagain. I was like ... wut?

Seeing Tamoko I can really see why Sarevok keeps her around, she looks ...very proficient... with big swords..

Good one.
    Killraven
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I liked Alora and Irenicus the most.

Though many of them look very ...young. Charname is 20, but of some characters I expected them to have some more years of adventuring behind them.
    Killraven
  • MaviarabMaviarab Member Posts: 7
    I have a lot of experience with Poser 6, 7 and 8....nice work indeed.

I can see already though for added accuracy, twice as much time will be spent in photoshop rather than Poser. May I ask what size were your original renders in Poser Pro?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Kangaxx is very awesome, a very good interpretation of his original lich form.
    Viconia is very, very blue. Though that discussion has been going on for a while I think...
    Tiax looks quite peaceful there, adding some expression to him like you mentioned would be great, this also goes for Montaron who's just a cute widdle halfling fellow, and Sarevok looks v. depressed (though...that's understandable).
    Despite usually being rather against 'sexy' female armour, I'm gonna give Shar-Teel a pass for being a mostly naked tattooed warrior lady.

Looks very good sir, I'm looking forward to seeing the Enhanced Edition of these!
    Killraven
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Some were just too young. And they got some problem with their hips.
    Maviarab said:

I have a lot of experience with Poser 6, 7 and 8....nice work indeed.
    I can see already though for added accuracy, twice as much time will be spent in photoshop rather than Poser. May I ask what size were your original renders in Poser Pro?

Thanks for asking, I spend less than 2 seconds per picture in photoshop: I feed the render picture to photoshop and use a custom action script I wrote to sharpen/enhance the image.

The original files are 900x1440 PNG, I will distribute those high-res versions too, but only when I feel the release is consolidated enough...

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

Some were just too young. And they got some problem with their hips.

Seriously? Someone does work as good as this and that's the best you can come up with?
    Quartzneleotheszesalieri
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    The program used is pretty neat, totally free too. You design characters models, assign clothing, and pose them.

Did you have to buy the fantasy bundle add-on for the armor and weapons?

The program used is pretty neat, totally free too. You design characters models, assign clothing, and pose them.

Yes, there're all separate buys that's why they give the software for free I think ;-)
    I did not use the free sw (DAZStudio), I use Poser Pro which is not free and is sold by another company
    Drugar said:

Viconia is very, very blue. Though that discussion has been going on for a while I think...

I made the skin textures for Viconia myself, and I still keep the original photoshop layers, so I can easily retint them: are You thinking about a more greyish tone? Can You point me to a reference picture?
    Thank You!
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    Killraven said:

Yes, there're all separate buys that's why they give the software for free I think ;-)
    I did not use the free sw (DAZStudio), I use Poser Pro which is not free and is sold by another company
    Ahh, ok. it's labeled as Genesis+Poser. I thought they were the same product.

Were you going to a 'reimagining' of the characters? They all look very good and share similar characteristics of the originals, but also look like new people.

Ahh, ok. it's labeled as Genesis+Poser. I thought they were the same product.
    Were you going to a 'reimagining' of the characters? They all look very good and share similar characteristics of the originals, but also look like new people.

Genesis is the brand name for the new "Generation 5" models, I used the older "Gen 4", since I invested so much money in accessories for them ;-) but Gen5 is more realistic...

Yes, I tried a reinterpretation of the characters, while keeping some "feeling" with the original characters... at one point I also thought of doing a Manga version based on Aiko/Hiro models.

Gen5 allows You to also re-use older clothing made for other characters if You use DAZStudio instead of Poser, but I am not so good with DAZStudio yet (it's only a hobby for me) ... in the future I might give it a try
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Thank you for sharing these with us!

My favorites (in no particular order):
    Eldoth (you really captured his personality in this depiction)
    Shar-Teel (in proper women's fantasy "armor" of course)
    Viconia (did she get hairstyling tips from Dracula?)
    Bodhi (aristocratic vampire--very nice!)
    Skie (her noble status is very apparent here)

Other observations:

Xzar looks like he should be in a Black Metal band.

Valygar looks disturbingly like Milli Vanilli xD

Is that Safana or Charlize Theron?

And was that Quayle or a Hasidic Jew?

Killraven
    Killraven said:

Drugar said:

I made the skin textures for Viconia myself, and I still keep the original photoshop layers, so I can easily retint them: are You thinking about a more greyish tone? Can You point me to a reference picture?
    Thank You!
    Heh, not much winning there. Lots of arguments about her skin tone. You aren't gonna please everyone. :P

Btw, I want to say again awesome work. :)
    Killraven
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'm impressed, especially because my art talents are very limited.

What I liked:

* Alora really looks like a halfling and the pose suits. The earthen colors really work for thieves IMO.

* Branwen is going to do some ass-kicking. Recommend slightly dirtier blonde and darker complexion for her. I also think her voice doesn't match the image, but I really like the image - especially the shield. Can she use an axe? I think she has to switch to mace or hammer.

* Cernd. I think the colors are a little too bright, but good.

* Coran - blending that tattoo makes him look far more reasonable than in the BG portrait.

* Eldoth is really nicely done!

* Legol-Haer Dal-as - Looks really good. Very mainstream but it looks fantastic.

* Jaheira and all things Jaheira

* Khalid is the man? Really? Yours is. Looks far more kick-ass-ish than original :D

* Kivan is probably the best, overall, with strong competition from Tamoko (below)

* Mazzy is fantastic! I don't like the dual-wield, as I saw her as sword and shield, but that is opinion about the RP and not to take away from the art. The red coloration is great! Recommend a tinge of strawberry in her blonde to really make it work.

* Viconia - I think her skirt should have less sheen, but this is nice. Her skin tint should probably be more gray, but this is consistent with the BG2 tinting, so it's a mixed bag

* Tamoko - wow for appearance and would be my favorite if it wasn't chainmail lingerie. The woman wore full plate!

On the fence:

* Nalia - she looks good, but has a Nirvana music video look to her that does not work for me.

* Sharr-Teel - Needs bracers, greaves and other protective items on legs and arms. It's fine to show brazen tats, but this is a warrior and needs to look the part

Not so favored:

* Ajantis and Anomen seem too bright to me. It could be the white background, so take with grains of salt.

* Edwin - the magic effect doesn't blend well enough and looks tacked on.

* Faldorn - the split fur armor thing is a little too much for me.

* Imoen - The emo-tramp look, coupled with the neck roll, do not work for her in my opinion

* Minsc - too pale and 'clean'. He's not a pretty-boy ranger berserker. Right, Boo?

Anyway, lots of good stuff in there. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Killraven
    So here's an alternate (dress) version of Viconia and Quayle mastering some fiery illusion...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mario_roma/8145520364/in/photostream/
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    Great work! Thanks for this.
    Killraven
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited November 2012
    Safana!!! Blue eyes with dark hair, the perfect combination! Megan Fox inspired??
    Killravenjolly_bb
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Quality of pin-ups is indeed good, but designs mostly are, in my opinion, not so good. Expect for Faldorn, althought it's not much of achievement considering the fact how her in-game portrait looks like. After seeing Jaheira and Imoen, I had enough of this gallery.
    Killraven
    edited November 2012
    I am saving Your comments to a file for later reference as I keep working on the 3D models, thank You all guys.

One more possibility with this kind of models is animation (including animation to generate new sprites for games)
    BaldursCat
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    Amazing stuff, if you can, you should change Ajantis' hair to blonde, that hairstyle suits Valygar better in my opinion.
    Killraven