Skip to content

The Adventurer's Lounge: Guidance and Support for No Reload Challengers- Newbie or Veteran

Comments

• BroninBronin Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2021
    (Solved)
    Post edited by Bronin on
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,853
    edited May 2021
    I have thought a new way of fighting against the Barghest and whilst it should work, I'm not sure whether it will.
    Before the battle leave Dorn near where you recruited him.
    After the battle starts recruit him using an NPC who can sneak past the gate.
    Recruit Dorn and buff him up with freedom of action, invulnerability, and a potion of heroism.
    Get him to attack the Barghest and then eject him from the party, replacing him with another NPC.

I assume that his battle aginst the Barghest will continue. It certainly should as his god wants him to fight the Barghest, but will it?

I would then cast web and fireball spells from a position where the mage cannot be seen. The web should certainly give Dorn an advantage. Fight the battle at the gate hoping that by the time the party reaches the Barghast the enemy in that area will be significantly weakened due to the efforts of Dorn and the fireball spells.

If Dorn is killed it's no problem as he's evil and needs to die.

However, if he survives what then? Would it be possible to recruit him again?

I would appreciate answers to both questions, but if you can only answer one of them, that's OK.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I think nnpcs removed from the party try to walk to the protagonist to ask for a rejoin.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    You would need to charm Dorn if you wanted him to fight even after he left the party... I think if you hit him with Algernon's Cloak while he was walking to Charname, you could avoid the "rejoin party" conversation. But that would give him a green circle and the other enemies would also attack him, so he might not make much progress. Still, he would amount to an extra party member during the fight, albeit one you can't control if he's not within your visual range.
    edited May 2021
    You would need to charm Dorn if you wanted him to fight even after he left the party... I think if you hit him with Algernon's Cloak while he was walking to Charname, you could avoid the "rejoin party" conversation. But that would give him a green circle and the other enemies would also attack him, so he might not make much progress. Still, he would amount to an extra party member during the fight, albeit one you can't control if he's not within your visual range.

That is basically what I was wanting. It would be unfair to have an ally that the enemy couldn't attack. I was just wanting him to behave as he would according to what he says. i.e. I wanted him to behave in character and try to kill the Barghest as his sponsor wants him to.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I wish I could say I'd lost my fear of SCS, lol. Everytime I feel like I have, it comes back to bite me in the rear end. Example: Faldorn in BG2. Jeepers, she can be unbeatable (at least for me) without cheating (handing cernd potions and items while he's in the ring).

And so it's at this juncture I must swallow my pride and ask for help: does anyone have tips on fighting the four warders (Love, Pride, Avarice, Fear) in that first basement level of Durlag's Tower? They have been messing me up since I started SCS - and this is without using the improved Durlag's Tower component. I can handle them on improved difficulty, ok, but just turning it up to tactical gives me fits. I feel like it's a 50-50 proposition (or less) for me, which isn't great in a no reload run.
    jmerry and Aerakar - thank you so much.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited June 2021
    Hey everyone! Would it be possible to successfully cast Imprisonment against the Five and Jon in the final ToB fight? (Ascension SCS) I mean, if I burn through their protections - do they have a min1HP item?

@OrlonKronsteen about your Faldorn fight: I agree the fight is a coin-flip but try doing the following: challenge her with Cernd or another shapeshifter, cast Insect Plague, turn in the Greater Wolf - she'll summon 2 bears and cast Creeping Doom. Your Insect Plague stays in effect longer (6 rounds against Creeping Doom's 3 rounds) so you should come back to the fight earlier than she, attack her in the Greater Wolf form - your APR and damage should be enough to kill her. The regeneration from the wolf should hopefully heal the harm those bears inflicted. But if you enter the fight prebuffed with Ironskins it's even easier.
    edited June 2021
    @JuliusBorisov I have never had luck with the greater werewolf - the bears always end up tearing Cerned apart (even with iron skins precast before the battle), and that's if I'm lucky enough to not get hit by a casting of Nature's Beauty first, which is a fight-ender. But maybe I've had bad luck. On the other hand, if I can wait until 1.5 million exp points and come in at 14th level with Cernd, then he can start with Nature's Beauty and almost always wins the fight. The problem with all this, of course, is you have to wait until 13th or 14th level, which can be a pain for a chapter 2 quest. The only ways I've found of winning that fight early are: 1) taking the evil route and poisoning the grove, or, 2) having Cernd do the fight without actually being in the party. It's a scripted battle and so far I've never seen him lose.

Edit: I should probably have mentioned for clarity that I don't use the SCS improved shapeshifting component, which may be part of the problem.
    In my recent games my swords are breaking far more often than usual. The things that have changed are:

1: I am using scimitars.
    2: My reputation is much lower
    3: I am fighting oponents with plate armour.
    4: I am playing a blackguard

Is one of those a factor concerning breakages?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    No, just RNG.
    edited June 2021
    No, just RNG.

I suppose that a factor is that because of the abundance of other swords, I don't notice when a great, long or bastard sword breaks. Whereas you can't even buy them in Beregost/Nashkel. Plus the fact that you can't get magical scimitars early in the game without a thief.

Having said that, I've just thought of a way to get the one in Durlag's early on using Jaheira's Potion plus a potion of mirrored eyes.
    @Wise_Grimwald I'm pretty sure that the Wakizashi and Ninjato that you can buy in Candlekeep are unbreakable. You can also get a +1 wakizashi early during Dorn's ambush cutscene outside of the Nashkel mines.
    I usually console-in a scimitar+1 after killing the ogre-mage with the nereid. :)
    @Wise_Grimwald I'm pretty sure that the Wakizashi and Ninjato that you can buy in Candlekeep are unbreakable. You can also get a +1 wakizashi early during Dorn's ambush cutscene outside of the Nashkel mines.

I've just looked at the stats for the Wakizashi in Candlekeep. It is a better sword than the scimitar and is cheaper! Weird. I'll check it out re breakability.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317

I've just looked at the stats for the Wakizashi in Candlekeep. It is a better sword than the scimitar and is cheaper! Weird. I'll check it out re breakability.

I've used it for years - it is unbreakable. It doesn't help druids (as it's not technically a scimitar), but for other classes with that proficiency it's a good starting weapon.
    I usually console-in a scimitar+1 after killing the ogre-mage with the nereid. :)

And not Twinkle or Icingdeath? ;)
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    I compiled a list recently for another thread ... here are the unbreakable nonmagical weapons in BGEE that a player can use.
    1. Wooden weapons. Club, Quarterstaff. No iron to break.
    2. Exotic weapons. Katana, Ninja-to, Wakizashi. Presumably, these were made elsewhere and imported.
    3. Ranged weapons. Bow and arrow, crossbow and bolt, sling and bullet, dart, throwing dagger, throwing axe. All of these are ranged-only and use ammo ... except the axes. And throwing axes are unbreakable when used in melee.
    4. Quality weapons, made by Taerom after the Nashkel mines.

And not Twinkle or Icingdeath? ;)

Well, I find it kinda unfair that scimitars don't have a +1 option before that one weapon dropped by the sewers' ogre-mage in the BG city, AFTER you have access to Rashad's Talon +2 from the Cloakwood area. There are lots of +1 weapons in the countryside areas of BG1, but not scimitars. So I find it absolutely fair to add one for that ogre-mage encounter. It doesn't feel any OP, really.
    edited June 2021

You could edit the ogre-mage in EE Keeper to have a +1 scimitar, then you only have to do it once. That might affect other ogre-mages too but that might not be a bad thing either.

I was pleased that EE helped with the shortage of good halberds, just a pity that they didn't do the same for scimitars. It could easily have been done by replacing a couple of +1 longswords with +1 scimitars, Neville for instance. Perhaps I'll do that with keeper in my set-up, even changing one would improve things. I wouldn't want to make them common as that would alter the balance of the game.

Equipping one of the druids with a +1 scimitar would be an alternative. I like the idea of strengthening an opponent for an appropriate reward.

You're right. I've checked it out in my current game. :)
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    My build does this also, so either SCS or Tweaks replaces Sendai's sword with a scimitar.

I have used these mods so long I thought that was vanilla and was wondering what all the hubbub was about on early scimitars))
    I've been reading a bit, and while the Ascension readme mentions Melissan is immune to stun effects, this post here says the Smite HLA can work on her.

A post here says she's not immune to Hold (which is obviously not Stun).

So what is the correct approach here: will Smite or Bigby's Clenched Fist work on her (Ascension + SCS)?