Skip to content

Introducing the NWN:EE Development branch

Comments

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    I've raised a ticket for Stack Underflow in SetObjectVisualTransform, which is a showstopper for one of my modules.
    edited March 2021
    Multiple issues with both pathfinding and cutscene scripting. Not surprising, when testing a development release. It will take some time to narrow them down sufficiently to raise actionable tickets - just a heads up at this stage.

EDIT - in some cases, at least, existing custom module faults which were tolerated in Retail now result in errors. For example, if there is a tiny gap between placeables that are intended to be a barrier, previously it could only be exploited by a very determined PC using WASD, but now NPCs find their way through it. Modules with active authors can be fixed, of course, and not all errors are fatal, but it seems likely that a few older modules will become unplayable.
    Post edited by Proleric on
    Is there any documentation on how to set up a module host similar to the Curated Content?

I see where to enter the url in the game itself, just wondering how to configure the host.
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    edited March 2021
    Proleric wrote: »
    Is there any documentation on how to set up a module host similar to the Curated Content?

I see where to enter the url in the game itself, just wondering how to configure the host.

The curated repo was generated with some local tooling that isn't published yet. It involves generating/embedding a UUID with the module.ifo file. I'll get to it soon.

Meanwhile, you can hand-craft a repo by following this template: http://curated.nwn.beamdog.net/repository.json (manifests in this json file need to be generated --with-module)

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Development Build 8183.22 is now available both on Steam and from the Beamdog Client!
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Yay! Script debugger is back even if slightly different usage.

TR
    New bug. When there is a door situated at the top of some stairs the door open icon is displayed at a little distance from the door. This is normal. However if you click on the door at this point the PC moves towards the door, stops at a short distance from the door (as normal) but the door doesn't open. To get it to open you have to get the PC onto the top step. Clicking on the door at this point results in what looks like the lock picking animation and then the door finally opens.

TR
    Not really new, I think? There were multiple issues reported in .21 which were variants on "click door, PC moves to door but door action fails until PC sidesteps and clicks again". Not just on stairs, either. I regression tested all my stuff with .21, this was by far the most common bug, albeit non-fatal.

I don't see "door" mentioned in the .22 release notes so I guess this still needs fixing before release to Retail.
    First time I've come across it and the animation I mentioned was new to me too. Then again maybe age is beginning to catch up on me.

TR
    To be fair, the door bug demo module that I submitted with my bug report for .21 now works in .22. I did comment though that there were many (somewhat similar) issues with other types of door, so maybe they haven't all been caught.

On the upside, all of the showstoppers I identified in .21 have been fixed in .22.
  • SorenSoren Member, Developer Posts: 48
    New bug. When there is a door situated at the top of some stairs the door open icon is displayed at a little distance from the door. This is normal. However if you click on the door at this point the PC moves towards the door, stops at a short distance from the door (as normal) but the door doesn't open. To get it to open you have to get the PC onto the top step. Clicking on the door at this point results in what looks like the lock picking animation and then the door finally opens.

TR

Thanks! Found the error and have a fix incoming.

Generally, what changed here is that AI now actually moves to the distance you request (both as PC and NPC), whereas priorly it would always stop a bit further away, resulting in all sorts of other clunkiness and erratic behaviour (especially in combat). Now the issue in this case was because of the elevation difference also being factored in erroneously before (since pre-EE), which now will be corrected too.
    Can confirm that the doors at the top of stairs problem is fixed. BTW, with the new water shaders I can now actually see the water in streams in a 3rd party tileset - Sen's Seasonal Workshop - Tilesets based onto WoRm's Seasonal Forest - again. Kudos for that.

TR
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Development Build 8193.24 is now available on Steam, GOG, and from the Beamdog Client!
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited May 2022
    @JuliusBorisov

First of all, thank you for releasing another update to this game. It is most appreciated, sir. I'm on vacation from my job right now, and I'm in a different part of Florida away from my gaming laptop. I decided to try reinstalling my NWN Classic game on a dated desktop machine with Windows 10. After much trial and error, I finally managed to get my game patched to 1.67 working without a hitch. Even the campaign movies play as scheduled. Yay! While running my monk through the Wailing Death campaign with dm_enablecombatdebugging turned on, I noticed during combat encounters that his Wisdom bonus to AC was factored as a Natural AC bonus. The reason I know this is because at character creation, I raised his Wisdom ability score to 14 which yields a +2 modifier. That was displayed as a +2 (Natural AC) bonus on the combat log whenever he was attacked by enemies during combat. I further tested this by using DebugMode to set his Wisdom score to 18 before starting the next combat encounter, and I waited for enemies to attack my monk. Sure enough, the combat log displayed a +4 (Natural AC) bonus along with his +2 (Dex Mod) bonus during combat. I don't remember if this behavior is still in the EE or not. If so, could you please confirm whether or not this behavior is working as intended? Maybe I misinterpreted, but it seems strange to me that a monk's Wisdom bonus should contribute to having natural armor. Thank you for reading. Happy, healthy (both mentally and physically gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    edited June 2021
    @Prince_Raymond I just tested it in the EE and yes, the combat debugger lists the Monk's Wisdom AC as a Natural Armor bonus. That said, it doesn't appear that the game treats it as such, as a test with the standard Shadow Fiend revealed that a high Wisdom Bonus would block its touch attack from hitting while a high Natural Armor bonus from an amulet would not, so I presume its only listing it as Natural Armor so that the debugger doesn't have to list as many bonuses.
    edited August 2021
    @DerpCity Thank you, sir, for investigating this strange behavior for me. I would like to take a moment to upload a few screenshots I took of my character's fight with a swarm of fire beetles in the Silver Sails Trading Co. located in the Docks District of Neverwinter. I used DebugMode to level my character, give him the appropriate feats, and saved before starting the combat encounter with them. The encounter was run once with my Monk/Fighter having Circle Kick, Cleave, Weapon Finesse and a Haste item equipped, and again with him having Circle Kick, Cleave, Great Cleave and Weapon Finesse while so hasted. This was done in NWN Classic patched to 1.67.8093. The results I found were very positive (pun fully intended).0n0rnfh6zvmg.png
    728p2cxcry8k.png
    zdbi63fzu2pv.png
    zny8cxgmbq0h.png
    4vgegnhaiv92.png
    acdrtyd6wiyl.png

The best thing about all the combat encounters including this one was that my character's base attack bonus remained a bonus. Yay! IMHO, this is one of the many things BioWare did right. This is the glory NWN once had, and could possibly have again even better than before. I believe in my heart of hearts Beamdog is up to the task of restoring that glory in NWN:EE. Hope springs eternal. Hope is all I have. Can I get a witness? Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
    I got an available Development update notification through the BDC today. Development Build 8193.28. Thank you for reading, and happy (healthy) gaming to all.
    edited July 2021
    "Game data: Added “Neverwinter Chess” module from old BioWare demo modules."

Forgive me if I'm a little confused by this, but how does adding old content to the game help fix the malfunctioning content already in the game? It seems to me that resources would have been better spent elsewhere. Just my honest opinion. Does this mean you are still deciding whether or not the nearly 15-year old issue I have reported is working by design, or have you already decided that it is? Please, tell me it is the former and not the latter. With all due respect and all the sincerity in the world, this has left me both very concerned and frustrated. I'm just going to politely "take a step back" to silently seethe in solitude. Thank you for reading. Happy, healthy (both mentally and physically) gaming to all.

Edit: Since you all felt it necessary to add old game data to the EE, why not unlock the Eye of Gruumsh and Shou Disciple, the hidden prestige classes that originally shipped with NWN? The game data is already there, so technically you wouldn't need to add anything.
    edited July 2021
    @JuliusBorisov if you are missing any other old Bioware NwN modules they are probably here - Ancient Bioware Modules. There's around 20 that I know Bioware released and 3 that I think were from Bioware but can't prove absolutely were. I gathered them together (both from my HD and the wayback machine) 4 years ago in response to a request. Includes Neverwinter Chess. If you want to curate them, go ahead.

TR
    "Does this mean you are still deciding whether or not the nearly 15-year old issue I have reported is working by design, or have you already decided that it is?

We are currently not doing balance changes but if that changes, we will remember your ticket. With hope for your understanding.
    edited July 2021
    @JuliusBorisov

I understand, sir. One more question, and I'm letting it go: Can someone, anyone, please tell me why these negative modifiers were added to my single player game when Patch 1.68 for NWN Classic was released? After so many years of being tormented by that thing, I think I deserve an explanation. I don't expect an answer right away, as someone once told me, this would be researched more for entertainment value as opposed to resolving issues with players who can't even get their game to launch. Believe me, It was never my intent to get in the way of players being able to actually play their game. I hope you all can understand that. When the person or persons who can give me the answer I seek has the free time, please have them PM me. I would greatly appreciate it. Respectfully and sincerely, thank you very much.

If/When the time comes you do decide to make balance changes regarding my ticket, I will do whatever it takes to support Beamdog in that endeavor. I meant what I said about donating money out of my pocket to ensure you have the necessary resources. Seriously, I will even donate plasma to get any extra funds available. You could say I am either crazy or dedicated. I think both statements would be accurate. Thank you for reading. Happy, healthy (both mentally and physically) gaming to all.

Edit: Which ticket? The one here or the one here?
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited July 2021
    @Prince_Raymond

I have an honest question, no offence intended. Since this thing, as you've just called it, takes out the whole enjoyment of playing NWN to the point that none of the EE enhancements matters anymore, why not playing old NWN, pre-patch 1.68? As I understand from one of your posts in the other thread, you were able to run a setup that is working for you on the older PC, at least for now. It's possible that devs will go back to your ticket at some point. I realize this is far from perfect, but I believe tormenting over one bug is not worth your mental health. Just play the game that works for you, since it's (apparently) possible.
    Post edited by Cahir on
    edited July 2021
    @Cahir

I appreciate your question, sir. No offence taken. In the past few weeks, I've been busy with the process of changing jobs. I was planning to switch back to NWN Classic on my desktop PC for some time, but I had to get my ducks in a row before even thinking about which game on which PC to play. I live in Orlando, FL, and the desktop is currently located in the house where my Pop and Stepmom live in West Palm Beach. I would have already installed NWN Classic on my laptop if not for the fact it didn't come with a CD/DVD ROM drive. Things are finally settling down here, so it won't be long before I can make the trip to visit my folks for a bit. Afterwards, I'll take the PC that has NWN Classic patched to 1.67 installed with me on my return trip to O-Town.

About my ticket, it's common knowledge by now that what I reported is a decade old at least and not currently being worked on. Beamdog investigated the issue on two different occasions, and my ticket is logged in their development repo. Although, the odds of this issue getting fixed don't seem to be in my favor. I was told I should find a way to live with the fact I likely have to live with that bug/mechanic forever. The thought of that both scares me and makes me nauseous. Whether or not they will go back to it, only time will tell. For now, I'm just going to focus on making the drive to South Florida and back when the time allows. Thank you for reading. Happy, healthy (both mentally and physically) gaming to all.

Edit: I did not bring it up this time. Blame the big bad Balor above me.
    Development Build 85.8193.31

A huge beta-patch now available.
    Thanks, Julius - lots of meat here!
    Game: Fixed savegames causing creatures in areas re-triggering the OnAreaEnter event.
    Does that apply to PCs, too? If so, that will cause issues for existing modules that differentiate between normal area entry and save load in the OnAreaEnter script.
  • Ɲ????Ʀ????Ɲ????Ʀ???? Member Posts: 29
    Lots of good stuff!