Skip to content

Best ways to kill Drizzt?

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    The chapter change at the Bandit Camp is all that's needed to open up the Cloakwood - there's no requirement to talk to Elminster.
    Lammas
  • LammasLammas Member Posts: 211
    edited December 2018
    Hm? Cloackwood 1 shows up on the map after clearing chapter 3, does it not? I think even in the original it did or at least you could scout into it without ever talking to Elminster.
    EDIT: Didn't realize this is already on page 2 and the post I thought I'm replying after was answered already.
    Oh, that explains why he was missing some hits when I tried engaging him for the first time. I think I'll try the gnoll strategy next time then. Seems to get a lot of support here and since I'm likely to hit basilisks first I should have access to invisibility so the gnolls themselves won't be a problem for me.

It's better than basically winning by throwing money at him like I've done in EE (recharge monster summoning wand and spam that with full party of ranged). That should work for a small party and I certainly don't mind how he goes down. I just want that sweet, sweet loot.

BTW, I've never had Drizzt right out attack me in BG2. Is this because I've transferred a character file instead of a save? Does that still work like that in EE or does the game actually give you some sort of a flag that always carries over if Drizzt died in BG1?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited December 2018
    Lammas said:

BTW, I've never had Drizzt right out attack me in BG2. Is this because I've transferred a character file instead of a save? Does that still work like that in EE or does the game actually give you some sort of a flag that always carries over if Drizzt died in BG1?

It should still work. IIRC he only attacks you right out if you are an elf by race with a bad reputation who is also named Drizzt. You may need to be male as well; I don't remember...

If you had any of Drizzt's 3 items in your inventory when you start the game (even though they are removed once you spawn in Chateau Irenicus, the game makes a note that you had them when you started) he will be hostile in his dialog when you encounter him later on because you "attacked him and stole his equipment" earlier in BG1, but you should be able to talk him down if you choose the right dialog options. He may still even agree to help you with the vampires.
    Grond0GusindaAerakar
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    edited December 2018
    I generally use the Gnoll trick, but just started my first evil playthrough, so wanted to kill him myself. On lvl 1, so had to revert to surrounding him by kicked out party members, and beat him with a long stick.
    sarevok57GusindaAerakar
  • thiefthief Member Posts: 45
    If you have godlike patience, you should try with LOADS of arrows/bullets/bolts (xbow of speed helps a tiny bit). Once you have party members equipped, give one of them boots of cheetah, oil of speed and Haste. One guy is kiting, the rest is shooting. Lots of micro.

You can try more cheesy, ancient methods such as trapping him on the southern bank of Fishermen's Lake and shooting him from the islet (I haven't checked if it works in BG:EE yet), or even doing it with a solo character, kiting and firing at safe distance - but it will take forever. Others mentioned the cheesiest trick with party members kicked out of a team, trapping him inbetween.

[ Perhaps the funniest method back in a day implemented backstabbing, but again, I believe it doesn't work in BG:EE since Drizzt detects illusion. You had Coran/Montaron/dualed Shar-Teel/your own F/T, boosted with potions of heroism, great strength etc. (just lower thac0) and backstabbed the sucker five times in a row, chugging potions of invisibility. It might still work IF you figure out how to protect your invisiblity though, I don't think Non-detection spell or cloak would be enough. ]

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    In BGEE Drizzt doesn't have fast movement. It's therefore quite possible to kill him with a level 1 party without even using an oil of speed (though that makes it a bit easier) - just have one character kiting him in a circle round the others. That does require micro management, but it's actually not that difficult - and with 5 characters shooting at him doesn't take that long to rack up enough criticals.
    StummvonBordwehrAerakar
    Grond0 said:

In BGEE Drizzt doesn't have fast movement. It's therefore quite possible to kill him with a level 1 party without even using an oil of speed (though that makes it a bit easier) - just have one character kiting him in a circle round the others. That does require micro management, but it's actually not that difficult - and with 5 characters shooting at him doesn't take that long to rack up enough criticals.

Oh, it should be easier then. Plus BG:EE has traps, I bet they work wonders too
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    thief said:

If you have godlike patience, you should try with LOADS of arrows/bullets/bolts (xbow of speed helps a tiny bit). Once you have party members equipped, give one of them boots of cheetah, oil of speed and Haste. One guy is kiting, the rest is shooting. Lots of micro.

You can try more cheesy, ancient methods such as trapping him on the southern bank of Fishermen's Lake and shooting him from the islet (I haven't checked if it works in BG:EE yet), or even doing it with a solo character, kiting and firing at safe distance - but it will take forever. Others mentioned the cheesiest trick with party members kicked out of a team, trapping him inbetween.

[ Perhaps the funniest method back in a day implemented backstabbing, but again, I believe it doesn't work in BG:EE since Drizzt detects illusion. You had Coran/Montaron/dualed Shar-Teel/your own F/T, boosted with potions of heroism, great strength etc. (just lower thac0) and backstabbed the sucker five times in a row, chugging potions of invisibility. It might still work IF you figure out how to protect your invisiblity though, I don't think Non-detection spell or cloak would be enough. ]

ah, the good ol' shooting missiles weapons from the lake and trapping him on the bank, the reason why that worked back in the day was when the path search notes was set to 4000, now that the EEs use the SoA search nodes, it is set to 400000, so he will indeed not sit there and get hit by missiles weapons, unless you go into the .ini file and set it back down to 4000 then he will sit there with a finger up his rear end, but be warned: don't keep it at 4000 because this also affects your characters as well, and if you thought the path finding was bad now, making the nodes only 1% of what it is now will give all your characters a lobotomy when it comes to moving around
    Grond0
    I suspected it had something to do with path searching values since that method didn't really work with SoA mods, iirc. So it'd make sense to be even more outdated with BG:EE mechanics.

...but I didn't know you could change the number that easily! :smiley: I think I'll try it one day for nostalgia reasons.
    sarevok57
    edited January 2019
    Back in the original if you went into configuration there was a slider for controlling path finding nodes. In a way it used to be even easier.

And yeah, Drizzt indeed does not get stuck at the South end of the pond. I said that in the OP and it's one of the reasons for this very thread :smiley:
    By the time I read the latest responses, OP becomes dim and distant memory :smiley:

Anyways, can anyone shed light on Drizzt detect illusion abilities? Is it innate or spell, or just an item feature?
    thief said:

By the time I read the latest responses, OP becomes dim and distant memory :smiley:

Anyways, can anyone shed light on Drizzt detect illusion abilities? Is it innate or spell, or just an item feature?

its an innate ability, so you can't dispel it, but even though he can see through invisible creatures, he still gets the penalty to hit, beamdog just implemented this ability to drizzt so you couldn't cheese him with the "surround him with invisible team mates and hit him from afar" tactics
    StummvonBordwehr
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    sarevok57 said:

thief said:

its an innate ability, so you can't dispel it, but even though he can see through invisible creatures, he still gets the penalty to hit, beamdog just implemented this ability to drizzt so you couldn't cheese him with the "surround him with invisible team mates and hit him from afar" tactics
    instead that opens up the otiluke strategy, thanks beamdog :smile:
    sarevok57Lammas
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

sarevok57 said:

thief said:

instead that opens up the otiluke strategy, thanks beamdog :smile:
    Otiluke at least makes more sense. If an invisible crowd obstructed his path surely he'd just attack them or move them to the side or something, instead of standing there like an idiot, but the Sphere is an actual barrier he can't really do anything about.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    sarevok57 wrote: »

ah, the good ol' shooting missiles weapons from the lake and trapping him on the bank, the reason why that worked back in the day was when the path search notes was set to 4000, now that the EEs use the SoA search nodes, it is set to 400000, so he will indeed not sit there and get hit by missiles weapons, unless you go into the .ini file and set it back down to 4000 then he will sit there with a finger up his rear end, but be warned: don't keep it at 4000 because this also affects your characters as well, and if you thought the path finding was bad now, making the nodes only 1% of what it is now will give all your characters a lobotomy when it comes to moving around

Just a question here, I checked Baldur.lua and it seems Path search Notes are changed to 32000. I'm sure setting to 4000 still works for the "old school" Drizzt kill, but I'm curious why its not 400000 like you mentioned... is this a change in version 2, or is mine just jacked for some reason?
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    If you don't mind not getting the xp you can just wander around him revealing the area without letting him actually see you. Most of the gnolls you reveal will immediately move to attack Drizzt still obscured in the fog of war. Drizzt will not return fire and will succumb eventually (good time to make a cup of tea or take a bathroom break). The other advantage of this method is no reputation hit!

Patches have stopped this method working.
    Aerakarsarevok57
    Chronicler wrote: »
    The friendly arm inn one is the one where Elminster tells you how to get to the cloakwood mines, right? How do you get there without him?

Just go. Go to the western side of the FAI and you can go without speaking to him.
    StummvonBordwehr

Just a question here, I checked Baldur.lua and it seems Path search Notes are changed to 32000. I'm sure setting to 4000 still works for the "old school" Drizzt kill, but I'm curious why its not 400000 like you mentioned... is this a change in version 2, or is mine just jacked for some reason?

although i'm super late to the question, i have no idea to be honest, i just checked mine now and it is set to 400000 and that is with the 2.6.6 patch
    If you don't mind not getting the xp you can just wander around him revealing the area without letting him actually see you. Most of the gnolls you reveal will immediately move to attack Drizzt still obscured in the fog of war. Drizzt will not return fire and will succumb eventually (good time to make a cup of tea or take a bathroom break). The other advantage of this method is no reputation hit!

even though this may be true, he is still killable with a party or even solo at level 1, although the amount of extreme cheese required is quite monumental
    StummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwald
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366

I just found that out the hard way. My new way was trying the old way, failing, running for my life while pot-shotting at him with my shortbow, almost dying and being saved by a lightning bolt. Definitely not recommended for a no-reload run...
    Grond0sarevok57AerakarWise_Grimwald
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    The best way to kill Drizzt is and has always been thief traps. Yeah, it involves rest spamming, but it's still less cheesy than NPC barriers and more reliable than kiting.

If you have the SCS component that gives you control over leveling NPCs, you can kill Drizzt as early as level 1 using Montaron. It makes RP sense too, given how wicked and greedy he is.
    Ballad wrote: »
    The best way to kill Drizzt is and has always been thief traps. Yeah, it involves rest spamming, but it's still less cheesy than NPC barriers and more reliable than kiting.

If you have the SCS component that gives you control over leveling NPCs, you can kill Drizzt as early as level 1 using Montaron. It makes RP sense too, given how wicked and greedy he is.

they only problem with thief traps at level 1 is that even with 7, they never deal enough damage to kill him outright, and usually you have to land a solid melee attack on him afterwards to finish the job, which may take many many reloads to finally get a nat 20

which i don't mind since i never play no reload runs, but its much less reliable than booted companion barriers, which works without faill 100% of the time
    edited July 2021
    @XDarkStrikerX Of course it doesn't HAVE to be a gnoll. A wolf works equally as well. :)

dpstuxl3ae9m.jpg
    0eaw6je11dnw.jpg

A skull trap afterwards meant that the gnolls were no problem.
    Grond0StummvonBordwehrXDarkStrikerX
    @XDarkStrikerX Of course it doesn't HAVE to be a gnoll. A wolf works equally as well. :)
    dpstuxl3ae9m.jpg
    0eaw6je11dnw.jpg

ah, but killing drizzt is no fun unless you do so at level 1, because if not, then you might as well fight him normally ;)
    edited July 2021
    dpstuxl3ae9m.jpg
    0eaw6je11dnw.jpg

ah, but killing drizzt is no fun unless you do so at level 1, because if not, then you might as well fight him normally ;)

Ah, but I was at level 2 virtually as soon as I had left Candlekeep. Being a Cavalier, I needed Montaron to pickpocket Algernon's Cloak and wanted his ability to be sufficient to pickpocket rings, hammers and scrolls in Ulgoth's Beard.

If I roll a party including a thief, I may well use this tactic at level 1. Being a Cavalier I didn't want to kill Drizzt!

(Unlike my last game where I played a blackguard and killing him was the thing to do. In that game I blundered through the Drizzt battle and was fortunate to win)
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    sarevok57StummvonBordwehr
  • OcelotOcelot Member Posts: 13
    Pummel him with arrows and bolts and bullets while someone with the Boots of Speed distracts him.
    edited July 2021
    Ocelot wrote: »
    Pummel him with arrows and bolts and bullets while someone with the Boots of Speed distracts him.

A good method, but you then have to wait until those boots are available. Some other posters have shown ways of killing him at level 1. I have tested thm out and they worrk! :) They are only for people like Wallace and Grommit though.

Let's hope that Wallace and Grommit are famous enough for people to get my meaning.
    StummvonBordwehrsarevok57Aerakar
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited July 2021
    dpstuxl3ae9m.jpg
    0eaw6je11dnw.jpg

Ah, but I was at level 2 virtually as soon as I had left Candlekeep. Being a Cavalier, I needed Montaron to pickpocket Algernon's Cloak and wanted his ability to be sufficient to pickpocket rings, hammers and scrolls in Ulgoth's Beard.

If I roll a party including a thief, I may well use this tactic at level 1. Being a Cavalier I didn't want to kill Drizzt!

(Unlike my last game where I played a blackguard and killing him was the thing to do. In that game I blundered through the Drizzt battle and was fortunate to win)

That must have been a Cavalier with INT as a dump stat, never noticing how his companions pickpocket and kill everyone :smile:

"A den of stinking evil!"
    Balrog99sarevok57AerakarZaxares