Skip to content

[mod] The Rediscovery of Kuldahar

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
edited June 2021 in IWD:EE Mods
dxf9ujfy687l.jpg

"(...) Nestled within the roots of a massive oak tree, the tiny cottages were a welcome sight for the weary travelers. As the party approached the town, a warm breeze blew over them, chasing away the chill of the frozen pass and carrying with it the sweet scent of cooking fires."

The Rediscovery of Kuldahar is a mod that expands the hamlet of the Great Oak. It adds a few new minor locations and one bigger one (The Lower Clearing) bound with the mentioned town; it also adds new quests, encounters, shops, and items. All to build a place worth your constant returns.

The mod includes significant changes to existing files (are, tis, wed, et cetera) and replaces original resources with new ones, the mod is not compatible with other mods that replace those files. While I usually take the approach of updating the area files, this time it's greater than that. It's more than an update of few talks.

As an example: the original Kuldahar does not have a night map - this mod adds such maps/graphic, including a night version of the tilset so the time of day could be reflected with something more than absence / presence of the townspeople in front of their homes.

However, fear not - the town scripts are not replaced, so mod-added NPCs, quest givers from other projects (and so on) are going to work just fine. I made sure the mod is going to be compatible with my other quests and NPCs both by me and Aion... those mods that add such content via scripts and dialogues should also be fine as I update those rather than replace them. Overriding refers only to area files (for ex. like few visual things, main area file). So it should still be compatible with most things (the only mod that could cause potential problems is Sarevok57's Mega Icewind Dale Mod, which replaces many many many files).

Screen Shots:
wc7gndn1qpo5.jpg
gsubddadu76w.jpg
1a0pjn9kp60g.jpg
fgbeeookbnrp.jpg
89xezrxwetby.jpg
oktvxffo257r.jpg

DOWNLOAD
FORUM
Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
CahirEekanImpGraionDilachDawgliciousBrokenkatanaThrasymachusIseweinJuliusBorisovAaemforeverilduderinoAciferPeccamegamike15bonewhitegloryxiaoleiwenMantis37memoryDamianusTimbo0o0o0inethMothordok0zhivagonorQStummvonBordwehr

Comments

• DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    I am VERY excited about this mod :)
    LavaDelVortel
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,680
    edited June 2021
    It's going to be a bit bigger than my other IWD quests, which are rather small (still with new areas etc, though!) and expect some other stuff that I never had to work on that are something else than quests, but still needed: like the night map original Kuldahar i missing and I didn't want to offer just "a tick" in the area setting because it looked weird (no sources of light) or night light map... I hope it's all going to be enough to excuse the fact I am overriding some original files. Someone already looked at the mod as he is helping me a bit and said it's something that this town needed so... I kinda hope you guys will agree with that person :)
    IseweinDawglicious
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Excellent, can't wait! Thanks!
    DawgliciousLavaDelVortel
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    Wow!
    I had just finished ch.2 ... but now I think I'll wait until this comes out and start over.
    LavaDelVortel
    Just to let you know: everything is going smoothly! Sam. just helped me to solve an important problem (thanks!). It won't take very long for everything to be ready.
    @Thrasymachus - it may be important: to enjoy The Rediscovery, you will need to start a new game.
    Iseweinbonewhiteglory
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Looks very exciting, can't wait to try it out.
    LavaDelVortel
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    Looks great; will try.

Does this include the mysterious Upper Kuldahar? :smiley:
    LavaDelVortel
    Hah, no. I can't imagine the Upper Kuldahar, considering the town is already placed above some gulf... But I added a place called "The Lower Clearing". Let's allow this mysterious Upper Kuldahar remain a mystery! :)
    ilduderino
  • konvakonva Member Posts: 64
    Hello LavaDelVortel :) I play on mobile, started fresh game, reached kuldahar, but I see here only black... look at the screen. I also add weidu log here.jj53w0kopdq1.jpg
    I dont think its okay, any ideas how to fix?
    Sorry, but I have 0 knowledge on how mobile versions work and I never used it myself :( Perhaps there's some other user that will be able to help you...
    hmm, If I recall, last time I played, I played with same mods as now, except this new mod, and no bugs like this... Ill try to reproduce this on PC
    ok same install on PC worked, anyone has some ideas?
  • norQnorQ Member Posts: 5
    Excellent stuff there, Mr Weasel!

It's astonishing how much new stuff we get in RoK – locations, quests, items...! The mod livens up Kuldahar to a great extent - the settlement around the Great Oak has always seemed a bit empty to me but with RoK and other LDV mods it's no longer the case.

I recommend everyone to install RoK right away - you won't be disappointed, that's for sure.
    bonewhitegloryilduderinoThrasymachus
  • AarronAarron Member Posts: 3
    Is it in compatible with Unfinished Business for IWD? I have this mod installed and there is no possibility of fighting with Presio alone. "Challenging Presio to a duel".
    edited February 2022
    I never checked it with UB IWD, but this mod doesn't affect Presio in any way.

I think there are mods I made that add items to Presio + little Tipps plot with her, but I don't think it clashes with what's there. Have you met the requirements?
    https://icewinddale.fandom.com/wiki/Challenging_Presio_to_a_duel

(BTW, I noticed that, according to Wiki, the content is already there and UB is not needed? If that's true, then I am unsure what would happen if you actually installed the component while the content is already in there... maybe nothing... maybe... this? But seriously, I am just guessing now, you don't need to treat it seriously)
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    UB is only needed in oIWD.

I'm gonna ask for a big one... could there be a component in this mod (and in the other IWD mods) to give all mod-added NPCs lacking voiceacting skeleton responses akin to BG NPCs?
    There is a mod that adds soundsets to IWD EE characters - TheArtisan / AionZ released "House Rules" mod ( https://artisans-corner.com/house-rules/ ) and it has "NPC Soundsets for IWD:EE".

As for this mod - well, this mod was to match the original IWD EE pattern and minor characters stayed quiet. Ideally, the NPC Soundset for IWD:EE could detect these characters and get them some sounds as those of other Kuldahar people, but I don't think TheArtisan has time and will to work on that right now. I certainly don't want to change the default lack of voice because the characters would stand out when compared to vanilla townsfolk, a separate component would be... acceptable, I guess, but I'm currently drowning under other updates right now. I just pushed Bridge's Block and Khalid BG2EE, but there's more I was supposed to update...
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    Yes, that mod uses static lists and doesn't include mod-added ones (sarevok57's megamod also did that but with different choices which I am also slowly carving out to it's own component). I suggested the separate component exactly for the reason you mentioned, if one doesn't use a voicifying mod, these additions would be the jarring one. It is low priority at best, feel free to take your time/reject it, I know this can be a bit tough one with choosing and whatnot.
    LavaDelVortel , Presio Challenge worked. I just used Mage like team leader in dialog with last undead. Moreover, are you working or thinking to make any new mod for IWD EE ? Kuldahar mod is so great, congrats for you and thanks for this. In my opinion, IWD have lots of space for mods - quest, npcs, places, monsters. Base game was hmm... bit empty?
    edited February 2022
    Not sure if you know about other mods, but I released a couple of IWD quests:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/79347/the-new-light-collective-thread-for-lavas-and-aionzs-mods/p1

There are also NPCs with friendships and romances and - in some instances - their own encounters etc. TheArtisan / AionZ also released 2 NPCs of his own.

...and finally, some items you can find or create.

I'm glad you got the challenge to work.

Thanks for your kind words!

Cheers!
    I have all of them installed :) . Its a dream to have a mod with an alternative endgame option. The "evil" in which we help the belhifet kill Everard. Then we turn into demons ourselves.
    Another idea is to repair and activate the heating mechanism in Wyrms Tooth Glacier with the appropriate skills such as Intelligence and Dexterity by having a few items obtained during the game. Which would kill all the monsters along with Kerish.
    Another idea to take the butterfly out of the castle's severed hand.
    Next. When we talk to Ilmadia, he says that since we are Markeths accomplices, we can kill all the salamanders and elementals in the area. One could add an option here where he gives us a badge in return for doing "work". Unfortunately, dialogue does not provide such a possibility.
    Is creating such mods even possible?
    Everything is possible, but I'm not planning to work on IWD content, and to actually develop something, I need to feel somehow attached to the idea. I had another quest in mind, but I had to take a break from it and I'm not going back to it just yet, there are other things I want to work on first and there are so many updates I should work on.

Anyway: the "evil" ending you mentioned does not work with Siege of Dragonspear and Icewind Dale which are very specific on how Icewind Dale ends.

The heating mechanism thing feels the best, but as I said, I am not working on anything right now. To be honest, I'd like someone else to do it, be because... well, I created many IWD mods, but there are only a few story mods (like quests) that aren't by me for this game and it's quite discouraging. Playing with just my mods in there feels like an unnecessarily complex method of... self-pleasure. Would love to see such an idea implemented, as well as other side quests, but not sure if that's going to happen seeing how "many" quest mods are there for this game...
  • Chicken7023Chicken7023 Member Posts: 26
    Hello ! I'm playing with your mod, and everything is great. I'm just having trouble finding the entrance to upper Kuldahar. I got Lysan's stuff back, and the journal updated. Could you please point me in the right direction ? Thanks !
    You get to Upper Kuldahar from the worldmap, the new location is requires something like 2 hours walk. HOWEVER, if you installed the mod without starting a new game, it won't show up properly.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    I've played through this mod twice now -- the second time included the challenging and fun "Upper Kuldahar" -- and really appreciate how much it adds the core "home base" of the game.

However, I noticed one small problem both times: Bool's Star Atlas, when used, does not add +12 to Lore (it does provide the +2 bonus to Save vs Spells).
    Thanks! I will fix that next time, I think I already forgot about fixing it once...
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited May 2023
    I published a walkthrough on the wiki, that anyone can edit:

The Rediscovery of Kuldahar walkthrough
    Post edited by ineth on
    Thank you! :)
  • testlumtestlum Member Posts: 12
    Hello! I seem to have found a bug with the Bloomscent mushroom item, it doesn't seem to restore any hit points.