Skip to content

[MOD] Dragonspear UI++ (v2.42)

Comments

• skushaskusha Member Posts: 136
    Since there are no good alternatives among GUI mods for EE/EET, and with the release of 2.6.6 Dragonspear UI++ 2.42 with the new patch is incompatible. Will there be someone who can adapt current version of Dragonspear UI++ to work correctly in 2.6.6?
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    skusha wrote: »
    Since there are no good alternatives among GUI mods for EE/EET, and with the release of 2.6.6 Dragonspear UI++ 2.42 with the new patch is incompatible. Will there be someone who can adapt current version of Dragonspear UI++ to work correctly in 2.6.6?

Have you tried Lefreut's Enhanced UI? It may suit your needs until Pecca releases new version of Dragonspear UI++. Also, you can try EEUI Tweaks to additionally enhance your UI capabilities. I find those two mods working in tandem brilliantly.
    @Cahir I've tried many GUI mods, but they all don't compare to Dragonspear UI++, and Lefreut's Enhanced UI certainly doesn't.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    skusha wrote: »
    @Cahir I've tried many GUI mods, but they all don't compare to Dragonspear UI++, and Lefreut's Enhanced UI certainly doesn't.

Well, it certainly is more of a vanilla style, true, and Dragonspear UI++ is a complete overhaul. I don't think there are any other UI mods that are confirmed to work with patch 2.6.6 out there.
  • p6kockap6kocka Member Posts: 65
    You have to wait until the brand new version from Pecca is done. That's it. It can be tomorrow or in one year from today. Nothing you can do.
    @p6kocka It seems to me that to make the current version compatible with 2.6.6 you need to fix the file ui.menu. And I think some modders could deal with it, such as @meowdog, he would have enough knowledge to do it, in my opinion.
    edited July 2021
    I´ve tought you mean the brand new version which hasn´t been relleased yet. Yes, they could fix it. But I am playing BG EET with the latest version Dragonspear UI++ (v2.42). There are CTDs here and there. But it´s playable for me. It always crashes only once per playing.
  • meowdogmeowdog Member Posts: 71
    To those who experience crashes, could you try the following:
    In “override/ui.menu” file find LEFT_SIDEBAR_BOTTOM section and right after the “ignoreEsc” line add this code
        label
        {
            name 'leftSidebarBackground'
            area 0 0 0 0
            enabled "false"
            mosaic GUIWLSP
        }

label
        {
            name 'rightSidebarBackground'
            area 0 0 0 0
            enabled "false"
            mosaic GUIWLSP
        }

It’s just a guess based on a crash report I got, but getting another crash takes a lot of time, so I haven’t tested the fix yet.
    If I’m right the game tries to call Infinity_GetArea function for these labels, but they don’t exist in DUI, they are for the panels on the sides, one with buttons and the other one with the portraits. Most of the time it’s harmless, but sometimes you get unlucky and the get area function tries to access invalid memory address and it causes the crash.
    AndreaColombo
    Thank you. Will try it.
    It"s almost two days with your workaround and I haven't experienced a crash. I hope I won't experience it now because I write about it. :blush:
    AndreaColombo
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    Is it normal that it gives me an error message when I try to run the game after adding those lines to UI.MENU?

The game runs afterward, but it still crashes every once in a while.
    I haven't got any errors. You must have set it wrong somehow.
    About crashing: Try to start the game with Vista Sp2 compatibility mode. Save. Quit. Then you can disable the compatibility mode. And start and load the game. Tell me if it has fixed the crashing.
    70e2k12lxoo8.png
    This is what I have copied into my UI.MENU
    Yeah, I think I pasted that in the wrong spot before. Now I'm not getting the error message anymore. Good times :)
    @AndreaColombo

I have a version that includes the workaround on github and as zip file.
    If you don't want to reinstall, I think it should be enough to just copy "content-common/M_dui.lua" and "content-<game>/UI.menu" files to the override folder.
    AndreaColombo
    Thank you, @meowdog .

I prefer to edit the UI.MENU file I already have so I can include the fix for text not wrapping.
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    Any update on compatibility for 2.6.6?
    Take the latest version from meowdog here on this last page. It is stable.
    tl1942
    p6kocka wrote: »
    One question though. I think the vanilla game has the equipment comparison implemented. Doesn´t this UI mod have it pls?
    Pushed to the equipment-comparison branch for now.
    Screenshot with offhand weapon:
    9ozn4fpb13en.png

I'm not completely sold on how it looks, but other alternatives I've tried looked worse to me.
    Suggestions are welcome.
    animagtl1942Grammarsalad
    Is it enough to copy only the UI.MENU file?
    Edit: I have copied only UI.MENU and it works. It´s looking perfectly fine. Only, in Character screen, there is an error. Instead of "'RG_ABILITY_BONUSES'" it should be "Ability Bonuses"
    @p6kocka
    You also need LD_xx_XX.lua and M_dui.lua files, that's where RG_ABILITY_BONUSES defined.
    Thank you for making this. It's looking great.
    edited July 2021
    @meowdog
    It looks really good!
    It's cool that you still support the mod. :) Thanks!
    AndreaColomboTimbo0o0o0
    I agree, thank you for supporting this mod.

It is hands-down the best-looking UI mod for this game and it would be a shame if it were no longer possible to use it. A staple of my every EE playthrough.
    tl1942
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    meowdog wrote: »
    I'm not completely sold on how it looks, but other alternatives I've tried looked worse to me.
    Suggestions are welcome.

I actually think this looks pretty good. Simple and easy to immediately understand.

@tl1942

Well, there is a couple of things that bugged me while I was tinkering with the UI:
    1. Dashes aren't always aligned.
    4qr4l96wro9a.png
    2. If you have something in the offhand weapon slot and try to compare 1 and 2-handed weapons the comparison doesn't take into account the offhand weapon, e.g. if you're switching from a bow to dual swords, you won't see the offhand weapon stats until the actual switch.
    There are THREE annoying things which bother me (a little):
    1. The small Journal mode- the default journal is always set as ALL quests. I would rather have it as ACTIVE. Changing it to ACTIVE doesn´t save. I have to do it everytime I look at the journal.
    2. The large Journal mode- when I press R the Journal shows up but for some reason when I press R again to close it the Character screen appears.
    3. The large Journal mode- clicking at the journal popups doesn´t show the actual quest in the journal.

Can it be fixed somehow? It isn´t that annoying. I am asking only if it is possible. Thank you.
    @meowdog Since you're doing god's work maintaining this mod—any chance you could implement one-click travel and the decorated capital letters from BG1?
    @p6kocka
    p6kocka wrote: »
    The small Journal mode- the default journal is always set as ALL quests. I would rather have it as ACTIVE. Changing it to ACTIVE doesn´t save. I have to do it everytime I look at the journal
    Do you want to also save the choice across game restarts?
    2. The large Journal mode- when I press R the Journal shows up but for some reason when I press R again to close it the Character screen appears.
    Look for these lines:
    		name "journalLeftButton5"
    		on 'r' -- delete this

I don't think it's possible to use variables for "on" property like "on 'actualKeybindingVariable'", so it has to be hardcoded.
    3. The large Journal mode- clicking at the journal popups doesn´t show the actual quest in the journal.
    It does for quests, but not for non-quest journal entries.
    @meowdog Since you're doing god's work maintaining this mod—any chance you could implement one-click travel and the decorated capital letters from BG1?
    For one-click travel:
                    action
                    "
                            worldMapScreen:OnMapMouseDown(eventXCoord,eventYCoord)
                            worldMapScreen:TravelToSelected() -- add this
                    "
                    actionDbl

I don't know about capital letters. Do you have a screenshot?
    AndreaColombo