Skip to content

Today was the first time I ...

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    edited July 2021
    Arvia wrote: »
    As for backstabbing, yes, dead is dead, I've only recently come to the conclusion that in a battle, all strategies are fine, so rogue skills are just combat skills and not to be condemned for being "dishonorable". If I'm going to kill them either way, I might as well be smart and efficient about it.

Ajantis just rolled over in his grave! ?
    ArviaAerakar
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited July 2021
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    As for backstabbing, yes, dead is dead, I've only recently come to the conclusion that in a battle, all strategies are fine, so rogue skills are just combat skills and not to be condemned for being "dishonorable". If I'm going to kill them either way, I might as well be smart and efficient about it.

Ajantis just rolled over in his grave! ?

"This grave has a sense of Eeeeeevil about it!"

@sarevok57 I'm not sure if Bioware actually "messed up". I mean, I know for certain I'm not the only person with my name out there. It's not as if they called another person Drizzt or Elminster.

Speaking of those two, killing either of them hasn't made it into my "firsts".
    (Meaning I've never killed them, not that I've done it before already)
    Post edited by Arvia on
    Balrog99Zaxares
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    today, i've done something i haven't done in a long time, in fact, it may even been years since i have "not done" this

today, for the first time in AGES i did NOT kill drizzt...

i've been itching to play a SoA run, but OCD dictates that i must start in bg1 first, so i thought; haven't played a cleric/ranger in positively ages, why not do a solo run of that

and so that is what i did, and man, solo runs are quick, i think i got to sarevok in an hour or 2 at most

hell, i didn't even GO to the area where drizzt is since i there was nothing there that i felt was needed

so out of the 1000s and 1000s of universes where drizzt met his end by my charnames, today, this charname let him live in peace
    StummvonBordwehrAerakarZaxaresBalrog99
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited July 2021
    Today was the first time I discovered that the Priest of Oghma in the infirmary at Candlekeep really isn't very observant:
    bwv82mp4cu0r.png
    sarevok57ArviaAerakar
    Today was the first time I discovered that the Priest of Oghma in the infirmary at Candlekeep really isn't very observant:
    bwv82mp4cu0r.png

i think you can pick pocket him for another one if ya have enough skill
    edited August 2021
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    bwv82mp4cu0r.png

i think you can pick pocket him for another one if ya have enough skill

I'm playing a paladin so pickpocketing is out. However, when I am playing a character more akin to my namesake I generally wait until the Priest isn't looking and then break into his desk to steal another potion.
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
    Arviasarevok57
    i did something the other day, that i did for the first time ( man, i really need to stop coming here so late with these ) so...

the other day was the first time....

that i used Nalia as my dedicated thief, for ToB that is

usually if i bring nalia around i either use; charname, jan or imoen as my "dedicated" thief type

but then i realized that i had both thief rings, and in ToB there is that necklace that gives +20 to open locks and find traps, so with the open lock ring, she will have enough in both abilities to get all the thief stuff done, and then better yet i gave her the DEX from MoLtM and she is wearing the chainmail +5 that makes her immune to normal weapons, and she is rocking that level 4 thief class

and having imoen as my "main mage" is probably something i haven't done in close to 20 years, so it was nice to do something a bit different this time, and luckily imoen got that random +1 DEX and special ability thingies to boot, good stuff
    Permidion_StarkStummvonBordwehrArvia
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    I went with Nalia as my sole thief for my fire-themed run. Ring of Fire Control most of the time for fire immunity, thieving rings when necessary (replaced with the Master Harper amulet in ToB), shapechange to giant troll for 95 difficulty locks (temporary 20 Dex, no need for the machine).

No +5 elven chain, though. Archmage robes with a +2 cloak and Spirit Armor made for better AC and much better saves. No normal weapon immunity, but it's not like I needed that with four party members in melee and a ton of incendiary clouds.

What am I doing that's new for me ... going full evil. Protagonist Dorn for the win. Reputation down to 5, and the party hasn't even been caught in any crimes yet. A bit of a downer for shop prices, but I can always play "hide the drow" if I need to.
    StummvonBordwehrsarevok57Arvia
    I just installed Portraits, Portraits Everywhere https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61015/mod-portraits-portraits-everywhere-for-bg1ee-sod-bg2ee-iwdee-eet/p1 So today was the first time I discovered what I really look like . . .
    ki2gnd4kfu75.png
    StummvonBordwehrsarevok57ArviaVery_BigSword
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2021
    You could do with a shave
    Permidion_StarkBalrog99Arvia
    Today was the first time I petrified an Ankheg:
    uad5wfckaz0a.png

I never knew Chromatic Orb could be such a deadly spell. Shortly afterwards I tried horrifying an Ankheg. Unfortunately it made its save, which was a shame because I am intrigued to see what a panicking Ankheg looks like.
    Balrog99StummvonBordwehrArviaAerakar
    Following on from the previous post, today was the first time I horrified an Ankheg. It looks like this
    lda52sphhln1.png
    Then like this
    v5c3c8n3h5vj.png
    Then like this
    me3hijeiy0rj.png

So it's a handy tactic if you want the thing to go away but not much use if you are planning to turn it into a suit of armour.
    Balrog99StummvonBordwehrArviaZaghoul
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I just installed Portraits, Portraits Everywhere https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61015/mod-portraits-portraits-everywhere-for-bg1ee-sod-bg2ee-iwdee-eet/p1 So today was the first time I discovered what I really look like . . .
    ki2gnd4kfu75.png

Fun fact! That's a picture of Artemis Entreri. ;)
    Permidion_StarkStummvonBordwehr
    Today was the first time I actually got poisoned by Marek. I was playing around with the Android beta and zap, there it was. Apparently I had always visited the areas in a different order in other runs, so it never happened to me before. So now I spent the rest of the time zig-zagging through the city to get rid of that issue.
    sarevok57AerakarPermidion_StarkStummvonBordwehr
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    Today was the first time I actually got poisoned by Marek. I was playing around with the Android beta and zap, there it was. Apparently I had always visited the areas in a different order in other runs, so it never happened to me before. So now I spent the rest of the time zig-zagging through the city to get rid of that issue.

Item spoiler from that quest line:
    Are you aware of the 2nd pair of boots of speed?
    ArviaStummvonBordwehr
    Aerakar wrote: »

Item spoiler from that quest line:
    Are you aware of the 2nd pair of boots of speed?

I didn't know that, looked it up now. Thanks!
    Aerakar
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    edited September 2021
    Today was the first time I enjoyed Dragons Eye in IWD.

It has always felt like a chore and the fights where chaotic at best.

This time I took my time - scouting and buffing. My party was the same as Haeravons (made a famous walkthrough for the game), and using priest spells for buffing and topped with a haste spell made it enjoyable.

Some dumb luck made the experience even better:

1) First I managed a backstab on Presio - who got confused (used longsword of confusion). This meant her buffing script didnt activate, and
    2) secondly Yxunomei swung and missed; I took only 1 point of damage from a trap in the fight (never ever seen that).

I have never had such a feeling going back to Kuldahar.
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
    AerakarPermidion_StarkArviasarevok57
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    People don't like Dragon's Eye?
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    People don't like Dragon's Eye?

i think the lasts level of dragon's eye is by far the best level, although level 2 for those unaware on higher difficulties can be a bit of a pain when going to the right of the map with the swarms of beetles, spiders and trolls come en masse
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBell
    Today was the first time I hit someone so hard that I knocked them out of their armour:

fqx33hmolwy9.png

I'm not sure why Vax's body ended up in a different place to his equipment but it did confuse me for a moment. At the end of the battle I was staring at the screen thinking: 'Hang on, were there three of them? There's never been three of them before?'
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBelljasteyZaghoul
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Today was the first time I failed to get Samuel to the FAI in time. I had to walk away from the computer after getting the quest, and I forgot I had him. Explored 3 whole wilderness maps before I realized :(

Was it the smell that gave it away?

"Man, why is my pack so heavy? I can barely move!" *looks in backpack* "Oh! oh..."

No, joke.

Shoulda carried him around 'till the end. Maybe you'd have gotten an Easter Egg at some point a'la IWD2 and the dead bodies...
    AerakarPermidion_StarkThacoBell
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    edited September 2021
    Today was the first time I failed to get Samuel to the FAI in time. I had to walk away from the computer after getting the quest, and I forgot I had him. Explored 3 whole wilderness maps before I realized :(

"Man, why is my pack so heavy? I can barely move!" *looks in backpack* "Oh! oh..."

No, joke.

Shoulda carried him around 'till the end. Maybe you'd have gotten an Easter Egg at some point a'la IWD2 and the dead bodies...

I actually tried something like that.

Remember the dusty chicken, that you can pick up in SoD (at Boaresky Bridge) and lower into a well?

I tried lowering Melicamp the chicken into that exact well. I had high hopes for a magical tome or manual, and had fantacised about a manual of bodily health as a justified reward for my carefull planing and inventory management….
    Well this happened
    Absolutely nothing…. :'(

Edit 1: could have posted this in the “worst thing you ever did to a NPC thread,
    Edit 2: charname was an undead hunter in that run, so that kind if gives away how dedicated I am to roleplaying… I guess I have issues
    Post edited by StummvonBordwehr on
    Permidion_StarkBalrog99AerakarThacoBell
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014

No, joke.

I actually tried somerhing like that.

Remeber the dusty chicken, that you can pick up in SoD (at Boresky Bridge) and lower into a well?

I tried lowering Melicamp the chicken into that exact Well. I had high hopes for a magical tome or manual, and had fantacised about a manual of bodily health as a justified reward for my carefull planing and inventory management….
    Well this happened
    Absolutely nothing…. :'(

Edit 1: could have posted this in the “worst thing you ever did to a NPC,
    Edit 2: charname was an undead hunter in that run, so that kind if gives away how dedicated I am to roleplaying… I guess I have issues

Whoa! I never have considered replacing the chickens. That is definitely outside the box. Or outside the coop rather.
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBell
    edited September 2021
    Today was the first time I managed to lose Spider's Bane!

My Cavalier has been using a bastard sword but she had obtained Spider's Bane when clearing out Cloakwood and I was planning for her to start using it once she had leveled up and could put a point in two-handed swords. But when the time finally came I looked in her pack and the sword was no longer there. I then proceeded to visit every merchant in the game thinking I must have sold it by accident but it was nowhere to be found.

I therefore went through old saves to see where I could have lost it and I discovered it was in the Fire Leaf Forest. These screenshots are from saves two hours game time apart:
    jv0aph2aaft5.png
    pca0ybmpwkks.png
    What has happened is I have completed the quest of returning Rufie to Albert and he has given me a Black Opal as a reward, which has pushed the sword out of my pack without me noticing (I think the letter on the ground is the autograph from Larry, Darryl and Darryl because I appear to have lost that as well).

I have of course gone back to look for it but the sword is long gone.

EDIT: I went back and loaded the last save to check again and what has actually happened is that the autograph is the thing that pushed the sword out of my pack - it is right there on the floor where I talked to Larry, Darryl and Darryl - and then the Black Opal has in turn pushed out the autograph.

The sword is still lost though. If I load my current save it is no longer there. Oh well, it's not like it's the best weapon in the game or anything like that . . .
    StummvonBordwehrAerakarBalrog99Zaghoul