Skip to content

Unpopular opinions

Comments

• ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Unpopular opinion: Switching CDs and waiting for screens to load was relaxing and provided a much-needed break during gameplay.

I doubt that's unpopular among those of us that grew up with it. Bathroom breaks, getting up and stretching your legs, making a sandwich...
    Some modern games still have loading screen messages with gameplay advice, but they're loading so fast that you can barely read them.
    Permidion_StarkKatzerchenWise_GrimwaldAerakar
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Vallmyr wrote: »
    Unpopular Opinion: Neverwinter Nights 2 is better for me than 1.

I’ve put many many hours into trying to get into NWN: Diamond Edition and then later the EE but the game never stuck, both official modules and player created.

2 on the other hand I find much more fun despite its bugs and overall jank behavior. I want to like NWN1 but I just lose interest so fast which is a shame =/
    An opinion I wholeheartedly agree with. :smile:
    elminster
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Welcome back @ThacoBell :smile:
    ThacoBellPermidion_StarkStummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,342
    When you encounter overpowered loot or items, and you think that it may ruin your game, remember that you often have the option of not picking it up or using it. It’s your choice

When you encounter foes that may yield a hefty XP output when expedited, remember that you often dont have to fight them. It’s your choice

A lot of game reviews and even more MOD reviews seems to suffer under the players inability to either walk away or just not picking up loot.
    A crying shame I say, since “freedom of choice” is so highly valaued everywhere else but when playing the BG saga.
    Permidion_StarkKatzerchenBalrog99kanisatha
  • energisedcamelenergisedcamel Member Posts: 110
    It's always hard to gauge how unpopular an opinion really is, but I've read recently that loads of people say the Underdark is one of the weakest parts of the game. I completely disagree, personally. Sure, it's a bit more linear than other points, but I think the atmosphere and tension is great, and I like the scheming and the sense of danger throughout (even after countless playthroughs). It really feels as if you might get caught at any time, and I like how the PC goes in with no plan and just wings it.

Also, regarding the NWN2 opinion above, I agree 100%, and I'd add an extra layer of unpopular: I enjoy the NWN2 OC more than the expansion.
    KatzerchenStummvonBordwehrThacoBell
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Ammar wrote: »
    I like the Underdark section too, though the first time the time limit can catch you on the wrong foot, especially with the random obstacles (like that adventuring party and the cultists) that the game places in your way.

I like MotB a lot - it's up with Torment and KOTOR 2 for me - but the NWN 2 campaign is good too. Only issue is really that it feels the game has a lot of filler maps early on in the first Act.

I do not really enjoy the conflict about Old Owl Well and some of the Thieves Guild vs Watch conflict.

It isn't that the scope is fairly trivial in comparison to the overarching story - I don't mind that at all. It's just that it felt like several maps of filler combat that was just difficult enough to be annoying, but not difficult enough to be interesting.

Some possibly unpopular opinions from me:
    • The SoA content was better without ToB.
    • Sorcerers don't belong in a 2nd edition cRPG.
    • Strongholds were a good idea, but the only that "feel right" are Bard and Druid. Maybe mage too, but the quests suck.

The cleric stronghold is pretty good imho. It's cool that it depends on your alignment which faction you work for. It's one of the few chances you have to actually role-play your alignment (and the evil path actually 'feels' evil for a change).
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBellWise_Grimwald
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Ammar wrote: »
    I like the Underdark section too, though the first time the time limit can catch you on the wrong foot, especially with the random obstacles (like that adventuring party and the cultists) that the game places in your way.

I like MotB a lot - it's up with Torment and KOTOR 2 for me - but the NWN 2 campaign is good too. Only issue is really that it feels the game has a lot of filler maps early on in the first Act.

I do not really enjoy the conflict about Old Owl Well and some of the Thieves Guild vs Watch conflict.

It isn't that the scope is fairly trivial in comparison to the overarching story - I don't mind that at all. It's just that it felt like several maps of filler combat that was just difficult enough to be annoying, but not difficult enough to be interesting.

Some possibly unpopular opinions from me:
    • The SoA content was better without ToB.
    • Sorcerers don't belong in a 2nd edition cRPG.
    • Strongholds were a good idea, but the only that "feel right" are Bard and Druid. Maybe mage too, but the quests suck.

The SoA content was better without ToB. I think its not entirely unpopular, i like that too.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Sorcerers definitely do not belong in any 2e games, crpg or tabletop. The system just isn't set up to balance that way. Plus Dragon Disciple is a prestige class not a starting class. Fire breathing is really cool though.
    KatzerchenDanacm
  • wukewuke Member Posts: 113
    Maybe not really an unpopular opinion: BG2 is hard to RP from the moment when Bioware decided to go with the damsel in distress trope. The whole game plays like the main motive should be something less dire and personal.

If I choose to respect the plot I should either:

Do 1-2 big side quests and rush the whole rest of the game, since it's either my friend or my own soul in danger. I believe it will be less than half of a even non-completionist playthrough.
    Or my charname just doesn't care about Imoen and can have fun in Amn, then I don't really need to go to Spellhold since charname doesn't actually know Irenicus was free. Only players know that from the cutscenes.

The only justification I can think of is my charname doesn't want to free Imoen and doesn't believe the Asylum is enough for Irenicus, only wants revenge by their own hands. Knowing how powerful Irenicus is, they chooses to gather as much power as they can to prepare for it. But that's a very specific setting.

SCS's change the GPs needed for chapter 3 probably is a good fix, still the changed price may be unrealistically high in that world.
    Permidion_StarkStummvonBordwehr
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    wuke wrote: »
    Maybe not really an unpopular opinion: BG2 is hard to RP from the moment when Bioware decided to go with the damsel in distress trope. The whole game plays like the main motive should be something less dire and personal.

If I choose to respect the plot I should either:

Do 1-2 big side quests and rush the whole rest of the game, since it's either my friend or my own soul in danger. I believe it will be less than half of a even non-completionist playthrough.
    Or my charname just doesn't care about Imoen and can have fun in Amn, then I don't really need to go to Spellhold since charname doesn't actually know Irenicus was free. Only players know that from the cutscenes.

The only justification I can think of is my charname doesn't want to free Imoen and doesn't believe the Asylum is enough for Irenicus, only wants revenge by their own hands. Knowing how powerful Irenicus is, they chooses to gather as much power as they can to prepare for it. But that's a very specific setting.

SCS's change the GPs needed for chapter 3 probably is a good fix, still the changed price may be unrealistically high in that world.

@jastey's Imoen 4 Ever mod elegantly solves all these problems: https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/other/imoen4ever/
    StummvonBordwehrMaurvir
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    This keeps coming up and for the life of me, I can't understand why people act like its some insurmountable hurdle. You party was straight up worf'd by the THIEVES Irenicus hired. He keeps the party captive effortlessly. He takes Imoen with no resistance. You watch him chunk multiple high level mages in seconds. It should be abundantly clear that the party is in no way ready to attempt the rescue. They need to be stronger, they need money, they need contacts and allies. Just RP that you are doing that.
    kanisathaWise_Grimwaldmegamike15
    edited August 2021
    Still, charname doesn't know Irenicus is free, player does, and I don't remember texts suggesting the charname is working under that assumption other than the "I'm after a powerful mage…" dialogues, but that means the purpose is already revenge rather than rescue.
    If it's not a game and Irenicus certainly looks like the final boss, will charname prepare for conflict (only potentially violent) with the Cowled Wizards and leave much earlier, or take like 3 times more time in Amn just in case Irenicus gets out, not to mention delaying itself increases the likelihood that Irenicus has taken control? For example I certainly won't waste my time on finding a missing bard not knowing it would lead me to some planar journey with tens of thousands of gp.

I don't mean it can't be RP-ed that way, I just don't think "we surely will have to fight Irenicus" is an assumption most charnames would make. And even under that assumption, what level of preparation is a good balance is also questionable.
    Permidion_StarkWise_Grimwald

@jastey's Imoen 4 Ever mod elegantly solves all these problems: https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/other/imoen4ever/

I don't have access to the game at the moment, can you shed some light on what the main purpose of chapter 2, 3 is charged to?
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2021
    wuke wrote: »

I don't have access to the game at the moment, can you shed some light on what the main purpose of chapter 2, 3 is charged to?

You can find the author's description and a discussion of the mod in this thread. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/76098/mod-imoen-4-ever-experience-the-bg-saga-with-imoen-and-the-beginning-of-soa-without-pressure/p1

Since you no longer have to rescue Imoen there is no single thing driving the story in the early chapters so it feels more like you are exploring an open world until you decide that the time has come for you to deal with Irenicus. I like it because I like having Imoen in my party but for me it also removes that nagging feeling of 'Why am I running around doing all of these endless quests when I really should be going to rescue my friend/sister?'
    wukeStummvonBordwehrWise_Grimwald
    @wuke You see Irenicus effortlessly slaughter what, 5? 6? High level mages before letting himself get caught, while demanding Imoen come as well. I don't see how that doesn't immiediately set off red flags for charname.
    Balrog99kanisathaAerakarWise_Grimwald
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Noober is actually not unusual for a BG1 NPC. The game is filled with characters that for reasons best known to themselves insist on marching right up to a group of complete strangers to babble some vaguely plot-adjacent but not relevant nonsense. Including some who will chase you across the map specifically to tell you how they have no time to talk to you because of their job they then describe in detail!

At least Noober gives you some XP for putting up with his blather, and if you don't want to, you can just kill him with no reptuational penalties. Unlike, say, Elminster.
    Balrog99AerakarWise_Grimwald
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Abi_Dalzim wrote: »
    Noober is actually not unusual for a BG1 NPC. The game is filled with characters that for reasons best known to themselves insist on marching right up to a group of complete strangers to babble some vaguely plot-adjacent but not relevant nonsense. Including some who will chase you across the map specifically to tell you how they have no time to talk to you because of their job they then describe in detail!

At least Noober gives you some XP for putting up with his blather, and if you don't want to, you can just kill him with no reptuational penalties. Unlike, say, Elminster.

Elminster is well worth that reputation hit though! ?
    Permidion_StarkAerakarWise_Grimwald
    @Ammar "An evil charname going after Irenicus is also going so under the impression that he is imprisoned, and therefore vulnerable."

As I said before, Irenicus isn't captured. He goes with them willingly after slaughtering half a dozen, AND specifically requests Imoen comes as well. Any charname who doesn't think this is suspect cannot recognize obvious red flags.

"Furthermore, if the concern of CHARNAME is his power level, the game needs to acknowledge it in some way. CHARNAME should much more actively express his/her interest in magical items and other increases to power."

You mean besides the opening, charname's personal experience up through the prologue, the dialog of multiple npcs, and the entire Athkatlan Shadow Thief guild? Yup, game never brings up how dangerous Irenicus is and that charname needs to be prepared. Nope.
    Balrog99Aerakarkanisatha