Skip to content

[How to] Install mods on Android

Comments

• KillzoneKillzone Member Posts: 3

Please, someone give me the link of the file with the Mod SCS, which can be installed directly in the "override" folder. I'm a layman, I don't know how to use these options very well that I read on android. It would make my life a lot easier :)
  • KillzoneKillzone Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2022
    Please, someone give me the link of the file with the Mod SCS, which can be installed directly in the "override" folder. I'm a layman, I don't know how to use these options very well that I read on android. It would make my life a lot easier :)
    BG-1
    Post edited by Killzone on
  • konvakonva Member Posts: 64
    Hello @Gusinda Modfile is about 400MB :D but can provide weidu log. Changed the extension for upload purposes.. :D and in modfile I have the proper dialog.tlk file, while in obb archive from patch file I have dialog.tll so it cant clash. As for putting mod files there, I experience big issue since android 11, I always have to create new com.beamdog.icewinddale folder with files folder inside. Dont know why, but everytime I launch game, all content from data folder just disappear. Game finds corresponding saves, but I cant. Not in file explorer on mobile, and not even on PC when I connect.
    As I mention, mod didnt caused any crash since I just copied dialog.tlk and override to PC version of IWD. I have suspicion that game crashes because it cant find the missing file in obb archive? Also one thing I have to mention... when I need to place patch file back to obb, I also need to create new folder here and rename the old one because it just fails to copy from PC. Maybe i am doing something wrong?
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @konva, this is a permissions problem... Are you using a 3ed party File Manager? If not, then grab hold of X-Plore (free version is fine) and direct it to /Android/Data. It will complain that it doesn't have access but will tell you how to fix it. Once you allow access, then you should have permissions to see all the folders and add the modfile. It shouldn't then delete.

As far as the PC is concerned, what OS are you running. I have no probs with Windows 10 being able to add/delete files to the games folder.

Make sure you have run the game at least once (and create and save a char to be safe).

Hope that works.
    Gus
    edited January 2022
    Hello @Gusinda Im using the official app from google called "Files" .. also found some apps like File Commander, where I directed it to data files and "fixed" permissions. As for game files, I have lets say Baldurs gate saves ready in game, but I cant find them nowhere. Not using any mobile app, not even under windows explorer. Have checked that hidden folders and files are shown. Attached image shows the folder on PC, using windows 10. Do I have to do something on mobile, like some extra settings, unlock something or?
    Hi @konva, would you be able to try out X-Plore File Manager from Google Play. It is the only one that I use and I know it works. For Windows Explorer, make sure the the phone setting for USB connection is set to Transfer Files and not Music or Photos (I seem to recall sonething like that but I don't have my PC with me to try... Will try when I get home.

Gus
    Hello @Gusinda i have tried the app you mentioned, navigated to data folder and allowed permissions. Still mine folders are empty. On PC how do I check that data transfer mode? I can copy from data folders.. and from obb folders with not much problems.
    @konva, not sure why X-Plore isn't working.

The settings for the data transfer mod is on the phone. When you plug in the phone to the PC, swipe down to get to the notification panel and it will have a USB message. Select that and it should give you a range of options. One of them is Transfer Files. It sounds though as if it is already set for tranfer if you have no problems with other files.

What device are you using?

Gus
    Hello @Gusinda I have checked USB mode, its set for file transfer / android audio mode. I cant choose just file transfering. Im using Samsung Galaxy S11 Ultra 5G, with Adnroid ver. 12. Maybe considering system downrage?
  • EnigmajazzEnigmajazz Member Posts: 16
    @Gusinda just had a very interesting situation after installing a number of mods on Chromebook Android. I had previously tried to change the name of dialog.tlk on obb but each time it substantially decreased the size of the obb, even though the dialog file was the same size, which is weird thing number one.
    Decided to try install anyway and it worked apart from invalid codes. Left game to try again with dialog.tlk but couldn't change its name presumably due to android 11/12 effects. However was able to change the obb to .zip and back and then when I went back into the game the invalid messages were gone. With absolutely no knowledge it seems like just changing the name and then back of the obb reset the priority of where the dialog was read from. Does this make any sense?
  • ChaoxChaox Member Posts: 11
    Hello. I tried modding the patch obb file, and while it works with the dialog.tlk removed, all the cutscenes, movies and sound effects are gone. Anyone know how to fix it ???
    Also, while I'm at it, may I ask for the latest 5826 modded patch obb file please? Thanks in advance
  • 2k16daniel2k16daniel Member Posts: 14
    edited February 2022
    Hello to all , I'm back from the dead with compiled centralfix and Weidu v249 binary!
    Targeting android (armv8)

Sorry I can't produce an armv7 binary due to ocaml (language used to build weidu utils) not possible to cross-build it to android with 32bit cpu.

Game version tested : BG2EE 2.6.6.10

Prerequisites
    Termux app Get it here (note : direct links came from termux's official github repository)
    Installer (.sh file) here
    And the zip file (attachment)

OPTIONALS
    Root access for android 11+ (for bypassing SAF, so that all file operations are fast to execute)
    read here for more info about SAF implementation

NOTE: All commands you see here must be typed without quotation mark!
    INSTALLATION
    1.) grant termux a permission for accessing your internal storage by typing this command:
    "termux-setup-storage"

2.) now copy both the installer.sh and weidu+centralfix.zip from Download folder then make installer.sh an executable by typing this command:
    " cp storage/downloads/{installer.sh,weidu+centralfix.zip} . && chmod +x installer.sh "

3.) run the installer :
    " ./installer.sh "

Now you're ready to go!

So what now?
    You must setup your modding environment , We highly recommend to rename the vanilla dialog.tlk from patch.5826.com.beamdog.baldur~~.obb so that it wont do any conflicts with your modded dialog.tlk. read
    @Gusinda 's instruction here.

After that you can now use weidu and do mod installation using termux.
    Post edited by 2k16daniel on
    Chaox wrote: »
    Hello. I tried modding the patch obb file, and while it works with the dialog.tlk removed, all the cutscenes, movies and sound effects are gone. Anyone know how to fix it ???
    Also, while I'm at it, may I ask for the latest 5826 modded patch obb file please? Thanks in advance

@Chaox
    Just restart your phone after modifying the obb , that was happened to me too.
  • In_A_GraveyardIn_A_Graveyard Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2022
    That's great to hear, @2k16daniel !

I was wondering if I could ask a couple questions:

Are the weidu tool binaries you're using(tolower,weinstall, etc.) The standard Linux distribution compilation, or have they been adjusted at all for use on Android?

Edit: I have found your link to your forked Weidu. Thank you for your contribution! Will attempt to look deeper with time.

Also, I essentially have the same question for your distribution of centralfix, has it been modified from the original source at all?

I have quite a bit of weidu experience on a Linux system and would love to help play test some different mod load outs, utility, functionality, etc.

Also, @Gusinda I was wondering if you've had any experience attempting an EET-style install using your side load method? If so, would I be able to send you a thoroughly tested (in Linux) weidu.log and see if it could be recreated on mobile?

Edit: Realizing the EET question has already been asked! Sorry for that.

Interested to hear what you have to say, would love to help if I can. Please let me know!

Thanks!

Edit: Would the best way to create the ie base directory (where chitin.key is, where weinstall is run, etc) without a PC be to extract the main and patch .obb in a directory and work within that? I imagine I would still have to do some of the modfile packaging steps explained above at that point?

Thanks again!
    Post edited by In_A_Graveyard on
  • AgerioAgerio Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2022

Are the weidu tool binaries you're using(tolower,weinstall, etc.) The standard Linux distribution compilation, or have they been adjusted at all for use on Android?

Also, I essentially have the same question for your distribution of centralfix, has it been modified from the original source at all?

I have quite a bit of weidu experience on a Linux system and would love to help play test some different mod load outs, utility, functionality, etc.

Also, @Gusinda I was wondering if you've had any experience attempting an EET-style install using your side load method? If so, would I be able to send you a thoroughly tested (in Linux) weidu.log and see if it could be recreated on mobile?

Edit: Realizing the EET question has already been asked! Sorry for that.

Interested to hear what you have to say, would love to help if I can. Please let me know!

Thanks!

Edit: Would the best way to create the ie base directory (where chitin.key is, where weinstall is run, etc) without a PC be to extract the main and patch .obb in a directory and work within that? I imagine I would still have to do some of the modfile packaging steps explained above at that point?

Thanks again!

I really wish someone makes a guide on how to install eet on mobile preferably without an aid of a pc but i think these problems needs to solved first before a successful installation on mobile can happend note this is the ones that i encountered soo far.

1. How to merge sod and bgee files into one or make eet to detect sod separately. Alternatively the pc version of bgee+sod can be used but i don't own that sadly

2. EET needs to find a way to run ffmpeg, lua and weidu outside of it's bin folder. Alternatively a arm version of those files can be used.
    edited March 2022
    Thanks for the response @Agerio ! I'd love that too. I'll have some more time for modding over the weekend. If you're interested, I can post about my process.

Having the weidu experience I do in a Linux terminal, the Termux method by @2k16daniel feels really promising to me. @Gusinda 's method for prepping the environment and the actual mod load out should mostly be possible through Termux and a decent Android browser.

I do have bgee+sod on PC. Would it be possible to recreate the ie environment used for an EET install, test running well, load out into bg2ee_android and have any functionality?

I think that would be a good place to start tracking down issues. Figure I'd reach out on the G3 forum and perhaps K4thos to see if any of the original creators/modders have any thoughts.

Edit: here is a link to the thread I started at G3 for anyone interested:

https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/34689-ie_android-mod-testing/

If anyone has interest in collaboration I would love to do my part!

Thanks!
    @In_A_Graveyard that's cool! Il definitely would love to see your process.

I'm not sure if a straight up weidu eet installation on bg2ee(android) and mashing bgee+sod would be functional ingame on android if the installation was successful on pc but we have to test it to find out.

I think you should get into contact with subtledoctor too on g3 since i think since he said managed to get eet working on tablets.
    edited March 2022
    Just a brief update:

I've managed to create stable modding environments on my Linux system for bg1/sod/bg2.

Have tested some one off mod load outs with success.

I have also created a modfile with what I consider the required minimum for an "improved vanilla" experience. I will post the weidu.log as an attachment.

This was done using @Gusinda 's method for installing mods w/ a PC.

So far, all has tested working. I am also using @Pecca 's Pocket-UI mod.

Edit: Having a few issues after some play testing. Will attempt to track down and report.

Update: I was having some issues with the Lighting Pack and the Pocket UI together. Both ran fine in the load out by themselves, but was having non responsive black screen when together. Ultimately decided to remove the Lighting Pack and everything is running great. (My assumption is mod order or process. Minor issue. Can attempt to recreate for @Pecca or @argent77 if interested.)

Will dig into attempting a native Android install soon.

Thanks!

P.S.

A brief request:

If anyone has access to the centralfix source code, would they be willing to share it w/ me? I've been stuck using wine with the Windows .exe for now, which is fine, but I would much prefer to compile a Linux build target.
    edited March 2022

Hello @In_A_Graveyard !

Bout the Weidu utils, I didn't do any changes in their source code, the challenge there is that u have to build ocaml from source first (compiler used to build weidu) while targeting Android. Since i dont have pc for cross-compiling , All builds was done using my phone (termux) from compiling ocaml to weidu. I just forked it so that i can easily merge changes from upstream and give you proper repo where to download my newest builds.

Bout centralfix , scottbrook's server was broken, fortunately, wayback machine managed to have a snapshot of his website. Central fix was written on go language , so u need to download a golang package from apt to be able to compile it. You can download his source code here
    Post edited by 2k16daniel on
    edited March 2022
    Another brief update:

Thanks for the resources @2k16daniel ! I will definitely be using your fork for simplicity's sake.

I'm currently attempting an EET install with the method @Gusinda laid out earlier in the thread.

The main hangup I'm having now is being able to import the data files created after an EET importation.

When I attempt to run centralfix on a lang.zip w/ all of the additional files (incl. data) I get an error saying the zip "did not have a proper end signature".

When I attempt to run centralfix on a lang.zip that contains all the additional files *except* data, it completes successfully.

When I attempt to run centralfix on a lang.zip that contains *only* data, it completes successfully.

Is there a way to get the android_ie to recognize more than one file as additional content? Is there a size limit for centralfix?

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks!
    @In_A_Graveyard centralfix doesn't support zip64, basically the zip format turns to zip64 when there's more than 65,535 files or the size 4,294,967,295. My solution to this is to chop bg2ee files into different zips soo that it will be under the zip format
    Another progress update:

I've been able to successfully re-create bg1+sod/bg2 modding environments on android without having to use a pc. The hardest part so far has been handling case sensitivity. The tolower binary has managed to get me through most problems so far.

Currently, I have been able to run dlcmerger with a tolower'd sod-dlc into bgee. Further testing required, but all seems successful.

I'm now running into problems with installing eet on my bg2 directory. I've created a thread here at the G3 EET forum with some of the details:

https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/34777-eet-install-errors/

Any thoughts welcome.

P.S.

Also, @Agerio , thanks for the response! I was able to lower the size of my lang.zip to fit within the 32bit limit, however I was still having some problems using this method to get an eet install to work on bg2_android. Which is what led me to attempting a native android install and to see where I could get there. Both methods need more testing/fault finding, but progress is being made!

Thanks!
    edited March 2022
    @2k16daniel , I'm attempting to build a lua binary for use in eet using clang in termux.

I'm pretty sure I've covered my deps so far, but I could be wrong. I'll attach the output I receive when I run make within the base directory.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Update: Attaching my output when I attempt to perform make from the root directory of lua source w/ the "generic" build target. I receive almost identical results while running other platform targets as well.

Update: I've managed to compile a lua binary to both posix and linux targets within Termux and clang and see no change in my "weinstall eet" output. Which I will attach.

Open to suggestion.

Thanks, again.
    For any following, here is a link to the thread that's most up to date w/ the progress of doing an android native eet install.

Any thoughts welcome,

Thanks!

https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/34777-eet-install-errors/
    Update:

I've successfully managed to get eet installed (but not playable yet) within android and will link back to the main post for anyone interested in details.

https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/34689-ie_android-mod-testing/
  • PonyFlarePonyFlare Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2022
    Is there an alternate location for downloading the centralfix exe since the scottbrooks site is down?

Oh.. I see that may not actually be necessary anymore?
    I'm slightly confused after going back and forth through this thread to figure what the current "best" instructions to follow are.
    Post edited by PonyFlare on
  • VicomteDeValmontVicomteDeValmont Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2022
    PonyFlare wrote: »
    Is there an alternate location for downloading the centralfix exe since the scottbrooks site is down?

Oh.. I see that may not actually be necessary anymore?
    I'm slightly confused after going back and forth through this thread to figure what the current "best" instructions to follow are.

I more or less used the same simple intuitive method for IOS, though this dialog.tlk stuff is a hassle even when trying to add dialogf.tlk and centralfix.
    1. Change the obbs to zips and extract them so that you end up with something similar as how the pc version looks like.
    2. Download the mods you want and extract those in the same folder with all the game files.
    3. Run the setup files for your mods and install whatever you want.
    4. Zip the 'override' and 'lang' folders.
    5. Copy these 2 files to android/data/com.beamdog.siegeofdragonspear/files and extract them.

I was able to install pocketplayui, tweaks anthology and hidden gameplay options this way on Siege of Dragonspear, so this can work for more basic mods.
    Post edited by VicomteDeValmont on
  • CavakCavak Member Posts: 27
    Hello all,

I was working through this like 4 years ago! A new baby and a new job and I basically just stopped video gaming lol. But now hes 4 and I'm in new new job.

I had gotten it all working all those years ago just in time to decide I really didn't have time for a hardcore trilogy SCS playthrough, even with the convenience of mobile.

Today I tried a simple install, like 4 mods, and am running into a couple hiccoughs that may be down to the version updating to 2.6.

For example, renaming the OBB dialog.tlk seemed to prompt the app to delete and re-download the patch.OBB. I did it in android using rar for android. Navigated to dialog.tlk and renamed it dialog.klt. Had the override folder in files, the lang.zip compressed using STORE and relative pathnames and centralfixed.

Has anyone run into that issue in 2.6 specifically? I did attempt the game with all the steps without editing the dialog.tlk in the OBB and got invalids, and thats what prompted me to remove access to it, but the game still didn't want to look at the lang.zip.

I did find the section about creating folders for music, sounds, scripts, movies and placing empty files of the relative filetypes by renaming text docs and ensuring the extension change. This should also have helped force the game to view the override dialog.tlk For this step I think those folders need to be placed in the same folder as the override and .lua but I wasn't totally clear on that.
  • CavakCavak Member Posts: 27
    Cavak wrote: »
    Hello all,

I was working through this like 4 years ago! A new baby and a new job and I basically just stopped video gaming lol. But now hes 4 and I'm in new new job.

I had gotten it all working all those years ago just in time to decide I really didn't have time for a hardcore trilogy SCS playthrough, even with the convenience of mobile.

Today I tried a simple install, like 4 mods, and am running into a couple hiccoughs that may be down to the version updating to 2.6.

For example, renaming the OBB dialog.tlk seemed to prompt the app to delete and re-download the patch.OBB. I did it in android using rar for android. Navigated to dialog.tlk and renamed it dialog.klt. Had the override folder in files, the lang.zip compressed using STORE and relative pathnames and centralfixed.

Has anyone run into that issue in 2.6 specifically? I did attempt the game with all the steps without editing the dialog.tlk in the OBB and got invalids, and thats what prompted me to remove access to it, but the game still didn't want to look at the lang.zip.

I did find the section about creating folders for music, sounds, scripts, movies and placing empty files of the relative filetypes by renaming text docs and ensuring the extension change. This should also have helped force the game to view the override dialog.tlk For this step I think those folders need to be placed in the same folder as the override and .lua but I wasn't totally clear on that.

Ok so, as to all this! Started making a few adjustments. Removed dialogf.tlk and everything worked, without any invalid messages. My mod list is pretty modest but if anyone else is having issues with 2.6 then that might be a good starting point.
    Hello all, im just curious.. if I update my s21 samsung to latest android, im currently on andoid 12, is there a working guide about modding Baldurs gate? I would like to make eet install but on current android i have issues with accessing data content even on PC, and also cant just rename dialog.tlk to get mods working. Also some "blank" folders i am unable to delete no matter what. Any working tips? Thank you all in advance.