Skip to content

Join me on my journey of reviewing 75+ NPC mods

LlewrenLlewren Member Posts: 33
Hey!

I've not been much more than a lurker on these forums for the last ten years or so, but I wanted to share a project that's been in the works for a long time now.

I'm reviewing a list of NPC mods for Baldur's Gate 1 & 2: Enhanced Edition and the first two are officially done! Bristlelick by @LavaDelVortel for BG:EE and SoD, and Fade for BG2 are up on my blog (The Smoldering Mods Bar) now.

www.smolderingmodsbar.com

The goal of this project is to provide the community with an extensive list of community made NPCs and to bring up newer, lesser known mods that really deserve the attention. Finding new ways to play the game is something incredibly important to me and I want everyone to be able to experience my favourite games in new and exciting ways. Thanks to the amazing souls that mod these games, we're able to do that.

I also want to provide little retrospectives to old mods and give feedback to modders creating stuff today!

I have nothing but love for this community, and I want to give back in a way that I know how, so I'll be playing through with these NPC mods and giving my thoughts. At the end of it all, I'll provide lists on which NPC mods will suit you depending on what you're looking for in your playthrough.

And please, recommend mods to me if you want to see me talk about them!

Thank you!

Comments

• LlewrenLlewren Member Posts: 33
    I'm working through Lava's Khalid for BG2 mod at the moment. Safe to say that it's my favourite NPC mod I've ever tried, thus far!
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Llewren
    What plans have you to convert non-EE NPC mods to EE/EET compatibility?
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,703
    Thanks for tagging me here! One thing I noticed: Bristlelick has 1-2 banters with all other companions so it's mostly like you were REALLY unlucky (engine "fires" banters whenever it feels like it) or it is a bug :) The mod does not accelerate banters so it may also mean they won't happen often. That's mostly how the game works, but they can be accelerated with other mods. However, I will also take a look if there is any bug that's preventing them from happening :)
    Endarire wrote: »
    @Llewren
    What plans have you to convert non-EE NPC mods to EE/EET compatibility?

I’m not doing any modding myself. I’m only discussing them on my blog. I’ll only be talking about EE compatible mods and some EET exclusive ones down the line.
    Thanks for tagging me here! One thing I noticed: Bristlelick has 1-2 banters with all other companions so it's mostly like you were REALLY unlucky (engine "fires" banters whenever it feels like it) or it is a bug :) The mod does not accelerate banters so it may also mean they won't happen often. That's mostly how the game works, but they can be accelerated with other mods. However, I will also take a look if there is any bug that's preventing them from happening :)

My bad! I was excited to see some banter with him and the other companions so I’m glad it is there. I’m definitely going to include him in my regular installs so I look forwards to seeing them.

I’ll update the page accordingly as to not mislead anyone :)

Thank you for all your hard work, your mods are fantastic!
    Thank you! :) I just hope there aren't any bugs that are preventing these banters from happening, I took a quick look but I didn't see anything. In case you wanted to see them, they are in L#BRISTB.d / L#BRISTB.tra

Cheers!
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    edited August 2022
    Great initiative, and one more NPC in my modlist !

There are plenty of NPCs to meet ! Are you planning to review old ones like Mur'neth, Silver Star, Amber, Nude, Rolles,...?
    Mordekaie wrote: »
    Great initiative, and one more NPC in my modlist !

There are plenty of NPCs to meet ! Are you planning to review old ones like Mur'neth, Silver Star, Amber, Nude, Rolles,...?

I’m only doing EE compatible mods but Mur’Neth and Amber are on my list.
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 186
    If you want to see most banters from a mod npc, you may try to use the console Ctrl+I to trigger the banters. I always do that before ending BG1, SOA and TOB, so that I can see the banters between the MOD npcs that I like and the vanilla companions. However, some banters will only happen in certain location (like outdoor or wilderness only), so you may need to go to those areas to use the Ctrl+I command.
    I saw Skie (from The Cost of One Girl's Soul) on the list: the same mod also adds a 2nd NPC, her relative most expected to be dead. The new quest tells his story and if you're checking her, then you'll also be checking him, probably. When kept together, they will also interject each other's talks, so you may like it.

There are also other mods like Grey the Dog by @jastey

Once you are done with these, are you going to do the same with IWDEE NPCs?
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    Great project. Just a suggestion: Please, for any review also specify which version of the md your were playing. It's a crucial info for mods that are still in development or get a revision in the future.
    And, also, use the official mod versions. I hope that goes without saying.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 522
    Great project! Hope it will shine some spotlight on the lesser known NPCs.
    I saw Skie (from The Cost of One Girl's Soul) on the list: the same mod also adds a 2nd NPC, her relative most expected to be dead. The new quest tells his story and if you're checking her, then you'll also be checking him, probably. When kept together, they will also interject each other's talks, so you may like it.

There are also other mods like Grey the Dog by @jastey

Once you are done with these, are you going to do the same with IWDEE NPCs?

I’ll be playing with Eddard too, don’t worry.

Grey is on the list for BG1 companions but I’ll do a section for BG2 as well.

I hope to do IWDEE NPCs too. I’ve never played with any outside of IWD2 and I’m really excited to, so I know I’ll at least be playing with them in my own time. For now though the project just remains BG mods and I don’t want to promise TOO much.
    jastey wrote: »
    Great project. Just a suggestion: Please, for any review also specify which version of the md your were playing. It's a crucial info for mods that are still in development or get a revision in the future.
    And, also, use the official mod versions. I hope that goes without saying.

Great idea, thanks. I’ll include the mod versions going forwards. I’ve also tried to track down all the official sources for mods and linked them accordingly.

If I’ve made a mistake anywhere with any of your mods down the line then please let me know if you feel inclined and I’ll fix it up!
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Llewren great project, it may be just what I need to decide which NPC mods should I pick up for my future EET run.

Is it to much to ask Podlaski f you could also add info about available languages? Some people may be interested to play a mod only to find out it's not available in their language. Thanks!
    That's one of the reasons why I gave my suggestion to include the mod version: Grey will be a full-saga NPC that accompanies the PC from Candlekeep to ToB. BGII content is just still in development. Same for Brandock the Mage and Brage's Redemption, and also additional Imoen content in Imoen4Ever will be more in future versions.
    Cahir wrote: »
    @Llewren great project, it may be just what I need to decide which NPC mods should I pick up for my future EET run.

Is it to much to ask Podlaski f you could also add info about available languages? Some people may be interested to play a mod only to find out it's not available in their language. Thanks!

Fantastic idea, thank you! Didn't even occur to me but I'll definitely include the available languages!
    jastey wrote: »
    That's one of the reasons why I gave my suggestion to include the mod version: Grey will be a full-saga NPC that accompanies the PC from Candlekeep to ToB. BGII content is just still in development. Same for Brandock the Mage and Brage's Redemption, and also additional Imoen content in Imoen4Ever will be more in future versions.

In that case, I'll hold off on doing a BGII part for those mods. I'd rather give a perspective having seen the full picture.

Does Brage have SoD content or is it just for BG1 at the moment? If it's still in development I'll put him on hold for the time being.
    Oh, btw: are you planning to post such reviews every specific number of days? Or once per week? Per month? I was mostly wondering and I am unsure how many of these you already played, because if you are playing them one by one, it would require so many hours of work! 75+ runs, one for an NPC... huh, I think that would kill me.
    Oh, btw: are you planning to post such reviews every specific number of days? Or once per week? Per month? I was mostly wondering and I am unsure how many of these you already played, because if you are playing them one by one, it would require so many hours of work! 75+ runs, one for an NPC... huh, I think that would kill me.

I don't have a set schedule, as life gets in the way and many mods take longer to get through the content than others. I mainly use the console to cycle through the banter quickly and Ctrl+J my way around the Sword Coast. I'm also only playing on easy difficulty except for in some select sections of the game to get a better feel for the gameplay side of things.

So I'd say it takes about eight hours or less for one playthrough. Easily done over the course of a week, and then I take one or two days to do the writeup.

I will admit it's a daunting project, but I love these games and I love the thought of doing something for this community that hasn't really been done to this extent in the many years it has existed. It also has the added benefit of the fact that I can attach it to my portfolio of work, since I focus in journalism.

It'll definitely take me into next year to complete this, but I'm having fun so far and really enjoying the interaction I've been having with the community. I will say that feedback gives me a lot of motivation.
    @Llewren Brage isn't done for SoD, either. He has only basic reactions atm. (Same for BGII).
    New review is up, just three days after my last one!

Khalid for BG2. It's made me excited to see what else you have in store, @LavaDelVortel

Might go ahead and try out The Cost of One Girl's Soul now!
    Thanks for all the kind words and I'm happy to know you liked Khalid! :)

About other mods I have written: keep in mind that I've been working on mods for like 10 years :D That means some of my earlier mods will have a different feel. It's almost 10 years of experience as both writer and coder :) The recent ones: Khalid, Faldorn, Skie (The Cost), Eddard (The Cost) will surely feel different than, let's say, Quayle, Petsy, Gahesh, Varshoon (etc). My thoughts about how mods should look like, what they should introduce also changed a bit :)

Some mods, depending on the character, may also use a bit stronger language or include more explicit content. Verr'Sza is an exacmple of mod will surely be have more of it - in both his quest and romance. It's because well... sometimes I want to explore some other themes. So, I ended up with a portfolio that includes both friendly and warm mods... and some that are kinky, unusual or explicit. Well, after all, there are all sorts of players who expect different things... plus, it would be quite boring (for me) if I kept writing the same character over and over again :)

Anyway, Skie: The Cost is a mod I am quite happy I created. With Eddard around, Skie will also get a few more chances to say something, comment on things Eddard say... you'll see.

Have fun! Cheers!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    That's a great initiative, @Llewren! Feel free to tag @BaldursGate on Twitter so that we could reshare your reviews!
    Thanks for all the kind words and I'm happy to know you liked Khalid! :)

About other mods I have written: keep in mind that I've been working on mods for like 10 years :D That means some of my earlier mods will have a different feel. It's almost 10 years of experience as both writer and coder :) The recent ones: Khalid, Faldorn, Skie (The Cost), Eddard (The Cost) will surely feel different than, let's say, Quayle, Petsy, Gahesh, Varshoon (etc). My thoughts about how mods should look like, what they should introduce also changed a bit :)

I totally get that! I have nothing but the utmost respect for modders and I understand ability and style changes over time.

However I’ll still hold them to the same standard purely for consistency sake. I honestly feel really bad giving negative reviews on things, so I really try to focus on positives.

I really can’t stress how much I loved your Khalid mod though. Absolutely brilliant.
    That's a great initiative, @Llewren! Feel free to tag @BaldursGate on Twitter so that we could reshare your reviews!

You honour me <3 I’ll be sure to do that.
    However I’ll still hold them to the same standard purely for consistency sake. I honestly feel really bad giving negative reviews on things, so I really try to focus on positives.
    Of course! I mostly said that so you know they're not all like Khalid :) That the quality / content / level of explicit descriptions may be various for my different mods :)
    New reviews are up!

Vienxay.

Skie and Eddard.

Having a lot of fun with these. It's nice to see more and more reviews come together.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Thank la for a very detailed reviews. It will be very helpful for me to decide which NPC I should install in my upcoming EET run.

Do you take request which review to do next or you already have a plan in motion?
    edited September 2022
    Thanks for the reviews! I'm surprised you liked them less than Bristlelick, as I think I had way more fun writing Skie and Eddard than when I was writing Bristle and I think she's grown way more than many of my other characters :)

Few clarifications:
    Skie’s Jacket is a neat touch RP-wise but realistically it’s totally outclassed by armours you can buy immediately once out of Chateau Irenicus
    This is an item that was introduced by my The Vanishing of Skie Silvershield mod for BG1EE. It's an item she wants to take from her estate as she knows it may be of use. So it's a BG1EE item, but I thought she should keep it, because some players may have liked it and since both mods are mine, I felt that if I introduced something in one of them, the other one should also reflect it.
    Upon stepping outside, the Hawker near the door will give you a tip about a mage named Nem who could help.
    It's not the Hawker, but Ribald's customer you can see next to him, that is why he could hear your and decided to give you that lead.
    There is another quest that pops up when Skie herself is in your party. While traveling in the Bridge district (...)
    That's not all: if you bring Skie to Vulgar Monkey in Brynnlaw
    you will get another mini-quest / encounter - this time with Edloth. It is during that encounter you may say something to Skie that will change her alignment a tiny bit and not just reflect she actually learned something, but show that PC also has some influence on her and her behavior.

After these events, you can actually experience some new time-triggered PIDs, in case the player was interested in learning even more. On the other hand, I didn't want to force another series of talks onto players, so they ended up as PIDs and became voluntary... but IIRC, you dislike PIDs, so you might have missed that.
    The armour is weird. Ursa’s Fur Armour grants +2 to constitution and doesn’t disable spellcasting, but is basically useless as protective gear.
    This isn't exactly his personal armor. This is something CHARNAME creates in my BG1EE mod: Shades of the Sword Coast. So this is more like "an item cameo" for those that know my mods well and enjoy stuff like: "Hey! I helped to make that item!"
    The Broken Handband is an RP item. It casts Remove Fear centered on Eddard. However, Eddard is a bard, so his signature ability, Bard Song, removes and prevents fear on all party members in the vicinity.
    Remove fear also works for some duration, so you can cast ie before the battle, and will still protect you.

Furthermore, in ToB, if you look in Saradush, that item may be replaced with a new item. Even though it has a similar effect, it offers something new and can trigger new talks.
    Eddard’s portrait clearly had a lot of care that went into it.
    Yeah, it required some work! BTW, there is also a different version of the portrait: you may tell him that hair can be annoying when it falls onto your eyes during the battle.
    That may inspire him to shave his head for a change and will result in a change of portrait. After that, in a talks, you may tell him that you preferred his older hair and after many days, the old portrait will be restored.

These notes are only to mention there are few more things in there actually :) I guess some may find it important :)

Again, thanks for the reviews! It's always interesting to see such content. I'm sure creating a base of such texts takes much energy and time.