Skip to content

Mod spotlight: Fishing for Trouble

inethineth Member Posts: 707
edited August 2023 in BGII:EE Mods
76UCIZX.png
  • Mod author: Yovaneth
  • First published: 2011
  • Adds content to: BG2 chapter 2+

Fishing for Trouble is a mega-mod which adds four new major locations, and a long quest-line to tie them all together.

It features some of the best custom-made area art seen in an Infinity Engine mod, and for the most part does not suffer from the problems that older mega-mods are notorious for (such as overpowered loot or lack of design focus).

aYEwH5l.png

The mod's linear main quest-line isn't anything earth-shattering, and in some places feels like it's been padded with unnecessary steps just to make it longer. But it does the job of giving your party a motivation to visit the new areas, and ties up all its plotlines in a satisfying way.

To start:
  • Lief Torman approaches you when you first enter the Gate District of Athkatla.
Journal entry headings (not including side-quests):
  • Fishing for Trouble: Find Elminster
  • Fishing for Trouble: The Demon in the Lighthouse
  • Fishing for Trouble: Ceinwen Ravenhair
  • Fishing for Trouble: The Black Lotus Caravan
  • Fishing for Trouble: Cerendor Hold
  • Fishing for Trouble: The Orb of Breaca
  • Fishing for Trouble: Eildaren Colver
  • Fishing for Trouble: Sour Water
  • Fishing for Trouble: The Tiger's Eye
  • Fishing for Trouble: Restore Porthpentyrch

ke4BCtc.png

f7kOAtI.png
ewTSe7E.png

This is an additional district in Athkatla. It fits in reasonably well with the existing districts, although it is a bit harder to navigate. (Map markers would have been nice.)
While you can explore all the houses, there's not much of interest other than some side-quests, two of which are independent of the mod's main quest-line:

To get there:
  • It appears on your worldmap together with all the other districts of Athkatla.
Side-quests:
  • The Missing Nameboard:
    Talk to Keldral in the Dragon's End Inn (the house at [2100,3200]).
  • Elizabeth Pavaral's Flamedance Ring:
    Talk to Elizabeth Pavaral on the 2nd floor the Silverale Hall (reachable via the north edge of the district).
  • The Trimthorns:
    Gaelie Trimthorn approaches you outside of Ceinwen Ravenhair's home during the mod's main quest-line.

iJYeMiW.png
j7ouwim.png

Porthpentyrch is a small harbor town on the Sword Coast – and the central focus of the mod's main quest-line.

When you first get there, the town has been deserted – just a few monsters roaming the outdoors, and nothing of interest inside most of the houses. But don't loose patience: Once you find some clues, the story gains momentum and puts you on your way towards discovering what happened here and what hidden secrets the town holds.

This whole area has a distincly "BG1" feel to it (from the art style to the narrow dungeon corridors).

To get there:
  • Elminster marks it on your worldmap once you find him during the mod's main quest-line.
Side-quests:
  • None.

H8WIMWY.png
P55rAMT.png

Cerendor Hold is the fortress that "guards the path into the Cloudpeak Mountains".

Visiting a castle that's still in active use, and filled to the brim with blue-circled humans, is something that's been missing from Shadows of Amn. Which isn't to say that your stay will be a peaceful one...

To get there:
  • The lighthouse tanar'ri marks it on your worldmap during the mod's main quest-line.
Side-quests:
  • The Food Thief:
    Talk to Countess Wultheof on the third floor of the hold.

xSpgIeY.png
SVrpLNv.png

Imradim is an oasis town in the Calim Desert, sustained by trade with caravans and desert wanderers.

While the mod's main quest-line sends you here for a specific task, it's worthwile to explore the whole town for side-quests and to enjoy the beautiful area art.

To get there:
  • Garalial Geltarath teleports you there during the mod's main quest-line.
Side-quests:
  • Kill Akil:
    Talk to Levon in the large house in the top-right corner of Imradim.
  • (bride-price negotiation)
    Talk to Karim on the roof of the Water's Edge tavern.
  • (Irenicus's assassin encounter)
    Talk to Firdos in the purple tent using CHARNAME.

BvOLryx.png

uVOp0vb.png
Don't download & install the version from the mod's official homepage; instead, install the EE port by the InfinityMods team.

Compatible with the BP-BGT Worldmap mod (install that after all quest mods), but this is not required.

zyiW9Ib.png
Post edited by ineth on

Comments

• inethineth Member Posts: 707
    I just published an English-language walkthrough for Fishing for Trouble on the Baldur's Gate Wiki, based on notes I took back when I played the mod.

It is, unfortunately, incomplete - the side-quest resolutions and final main quest steps are missing.
    Feel free to help out - it's a wiki page, so anyone can edit it!
  • kmaa1982kmaa1982 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2022
    Though, it's BP-BGT Worldmap compatible, "Fishing for trouble" is native compatible with EET map.
    There is no need to use BP-BGT, EET map has better quality.

Thank you, Ineth. You mod reviews helped me alot.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    kmaa1982 wrote: »
    Though, it's BP-BGT Worldmap compatible, "Fishing for trouble" is native compatible with EET map.
    There is no need to use BP-BGT, EET map has better quality.

Thank you, Ineth. You mod reviews helped me alot.

I agree. Thanks for all your spotlighting…. It is much appreciated
  • YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    That was most odd, downloading my own mod so that I could play it again. Imradim was my favourite area, followed by Cerendor Hold. If you look carefully at Government Square in a default BG2 game you can see the start of another area on the west side of the map; this was the starting point for Government Square West.

And yes, you're quite right about Fedex...
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    Hi @Yovaneth! B) nice to see you around.

@ineth
    Don't download & install the version from the mod's official homepage; instead, install the EE port by the InfinityMods team.
    The download at SHS is the linked version from the InfinityMod GitHub, so no longer need to direct people away from it.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited March 10
    Good to see you back @Yovaneth ! FfT still has the most amazing area art created for any mod - Imradim especially is a real masterpiece. The lighting, the sounds etc really bring out the atmosphere. Unfortunately they are all a bit underutilised compared to how much story is crammed into the same old Athkatla districts.

I wish there was a way to (re)visit Imradim in ToB instead - not only would it be more geographically adjacent, but ToB really lacks for another town hub.
    Post edited by Isewein on
  • teodar1teodar1 Member Posts: 12
    Unfortunately the current edition of the mod is completely neutered and ALL rewards are removed. You finally go past the traps of the living and the chests are EMPTY. You give the key to the demon, he says he gives you an item, you, in fact receive NADA. Much line with the latest edition of darkest day where all decent items are replaced with identify scrolls. There is no point whatsoever to playing this more than one time. It has no place in any tactical install.
    @teodar1 Please tell which mod version you are playing. This sounds as if you have compatibility issues, where other mods change the loot in the game. Or maybe you are not using the official mod version.

@ineth download link is here: https://github.com/InfinityMods/FishingForTrouble/releases
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    @jastey
    Updated the link. Is SpellholdStudios down for good?
    @ineth We don't know. :'(