Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Mod impressions: BG2:EE Quest Mods

inethineth Member Posts: 618
edited May 2020 in BGII:EE Mods
q6UlHZQ.png

In this thread I'd like to briefly introduce a wide range of quest mods, for the benefit of other players who are looking for more content to explore in Baldur's Gate: II: Enhanced Edition.

All of these can be installed on the current version of BG2:EE; most also on EET and on the original BG2:ToB.

The list is not exhaustive, but I may update it to add more entires in the future. I'm also interpreting "quest mod" pretty liberally. And although I'm ordering the mods by their original release date, please note that old does not have to mean outdated or unmaintained!

Table of contents:
  • 2000 - 2004
    • Tactics
    • Planar Sphere Mod
    • Check the Bodies
    • Unfinished Business
    • Quest Pack
    • The Gibberlings Three Anniversary Mod
    • Every Mod and Dog

• 2005 - 2009
    • the bigg Quest Pack
    • Tower of Deception
    • Spellhold Gauntlet
    • Dungeon Crawl
    • Assassinations
    • Tales of Anegh
    • Jan's Extended Quest
    • Tales of the Deep Gardens

• 2010 - 2014
    • Innershade
    • Eilistraee's Song
    • Fishing for Trouble
    • The White Queen
    • I Shall Never Forget
    • Sir Ajantis NPC for BGII
    • The Sellswords
    • Back to Brynnlaw

• 2015 - 2019
    • Afaaq, the Djinni Companion
    • Foundling: Between the Shades
    • Reunion
    • Keldorn Romance
    • Southern Edge
    • Skie: The Cost of One Girl's Soul
    • Ooze's Lounge
    • Test Your Mettle!

• See Also

Post edited by ineth on
StummvonBordwehrLudwig_IIjasteyDawgliciousFlashburnGusindaleeuxArdulSanctiferIseweinhanhwisoo

Comments

• inethineth Member Posts: 618
    edited May 2020
    TiLIfHz.png

XiyGM67.png
    LGcPi9B.png

The Innershade mod adds a new village about a day's hike south-east of Athkatla.
    People have been disappearing in the crystal mines below the village under strange circumstances, and you're asked to investigate...

The quest is straightforward if approached with "Swords, not words!", but can be more rewarding if you find a way to learn more about the main enemy, and maybe forgo killing them.

Besides its main quest, the village also has a few mini-quests and interesting characters to interact with. The area backgrounds are creatively photoshopped from IWD1 and BG2 art.

To get there:
    • Buy the map from Ribald in the Adventurer's Mart in Waukeen's Promenade. The new area "Innershade" will appear on your world-map.

Alternatively, some muggers who attack you in the Bridge district also drop the same map.
    To start the quests in Innershade:
    • Innershade: The Enemy Below [main Innershade quest]:
      Talk to Dawnmaster Patric in his tower. (Recommended: Lvl 9+ party.)
    • Innershade: Round, golden tragedy
      A child approaches you near the well.
    • Innershade: Woman's Temperament
      Talk to Eva in the smithy in the top-left corner of the village.
    • Innershade: Help in the woodland
      Talk to the Woodchopper near the bottom-right corner of the village.
    • Innershade: Healer's request
      Talk to the Witchdoctor who appears near the village entrance in chapter 3 and 6.
    Interesting interactions in Innershade:
    • The "Annoyed bard" by the pond can teach a special ability to a bard party member.
    • The "Dirty boy" by the bonfire can tell you stories about the village and other topics.
    • "Barbara", the old lady in the house at the bottom edge of the village, can develop a friendship with CHARNAME if visted multiple times.

Nov 2010 — BG2 is re-released in digital form on GOG.com.

yhMCdK2.png
    SnR4X3s.png

The Eilistraee's Song mod adds a secret encampment of peaceful Drow who follow the good-aligned goddess Eilistraee, that you can visit after returning from the Underdark in chapter 6.

You can train in their ways - if you do, be sure to pay close attention to the lore dumps because there is a quiz! They give you a few small side-quests, too. The area background seems to be photoshopped from existing BG2 art.

To get there:
    • Solaufein approaches you when you exit the Underdark at the start of chapter 6, and marks "Eilistraee's Clearing" on your world map.
      (Requires that you helped him fake his death and escape Ust Natha in chapter 5.)
    To start the mini-quests in the clearing:
    • Training: Fall approaches you when you travel to the clearing for the first time.
    • The bard and the book: Talk to Thas'zzaria.
    • Sword Dancer: Talk to Ostra.
    • Where is the pipe?: Talk to Eo.
    • Toy for a child: Talk to Joi (the little girl by the lake).
    • Threat that sleeps beneath: Talk to the Sword-Dancer Sentinel east of the camp.

1Y0cgR6.png
    hV9MVIx.png

Fishing for Trouble is a mega-mod that adds 1 Athkatla district, 2 towns, 1 castle, and a long quest-line to tie them all together.

The custom maps, partially photoshopped from BG1/BG2 area art, are particularly impressive.

Check out my more in-depth Mod spotlight: Fishing for Trouble.

To start the main quest-line:
    • Lief Torman approaches you when you first enter the Gate District of Athkatla.
    Guides:

Installation on the EE:
    Don't download & install the version from the mod's official homepage; instead, install the EE port by the InfinityMods team.

IhFjV2t.png
    BEIvL4I.png

The White Queen adds a remote deserted settlement, whose inhabitants were seemingly killed by their mad ruler, who has now barricaded herself in the local castle.
    Fight your way through her servants, to discover what really happened here...

A combat-heavy dungeon crawl, with a good amount of custom items as loot and with area art photoshopped from mostly IWD1 maps.

To start the quest:
    • Buy the book "White Queen" from the book merchant in Waukeen's Promenade, and read it. The new area "Silent Swamps" will appear on your world-map.

Mar 2012 — BG2:EE is announced.

avUWhbJ.png
    yvsYCks.png

In I Shall Never Forget you meet a scientist whose lover has died, and who has become obsessed with finding a way to bring her back at any cost – blind to the further harm his actions are causing to himself and those around him.
    He pays you good money to help him out with simple tasks in service of his goal, but how far can you justify enabling him?

An unusually melancholic and thoughtful quest, which may send you to new maps photoshopped from IWD1 art.

To start the quest:
    • Enter the "2nd Floor Observatory" in the Government district of Athkatla.
      (It's marked with a map note on the district map.)

KcsQ3zy.png
    iozMdPR.png

Sir Ajantis NPC for BGII brings Ajantis Ilvastarr, the BG1 NPC (LG Human Paladin or Cavalier), to BG2. But before he can join your party, you have to complete a quest to save him and his Paladin companions from the clutches of a sadistic foe...
    To start the quest:
    • Encounter Malmae on level 2 of the dungeon in the Windspear Hills.

omkqrP8.png
    lTa620j.png

The Sellswords allows you to visit the Drow city Menzoberranzan, birthplace of Drizzt, in chapter 6.
    The infamous Jarlaxle has disappered while making a move against the city's Matron Mother – so his mercenary company, impressed with your previous success in infiltrating Ust Natha (the Underdark city of chapter 5), hires you to help free him. While you're there, a bunch of side-quests and intrigue keep you busy.

The new area background is based on that of Ust Natha, but photoshopped to change the town layout, so it feels fresh (albeit a bit small).

To start:
    • A boy approaches you when you enter Waukeen's Promenade in chapter 6.
    To start the side-quests in Menzoberranzan:
    • See the walkthrough in the mod's README.

Tafh57s.png
    vG5AITY.png

Back to Brynnlaw allows you to return to the pirate island where Spellhold is located, in chapter 6.
    The asylum is back under the control of the Cowled Wizards, and the pirate town under new leadership. A rogue Cowled Wizard contacts you in Athkatla with a proposal to travel there together, to try to restore both your and his apprentice's soul...

Reuses the existing Brynnlaw and Spellhold areas from chapter 4 (minus the maze beneath Spellhold), but fills them with new characters and mini-quests.

To start:
    • Talk to the "Mysterious Figure" near the Adventurer Mart in Waukeen's Promenade in chapter 6.
    To start the side-quests in Brynnlaw:
    • See the walkthrough in the mod's README.

Nov 2013 — BG2:EE is released.

Post edited by ineth on
    OlvynChuruStummvonBordwehrLudwig_IIhanhwisoo
    edited June 2019
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,420
    Very disappointed that you left off the best BG2 quest mod.

Iseweinineth
    edited June 2019
    @CamDawg For some reason I've never tried that one. Putting in on the list for my next install.

Other mods I have on the radar for eventual inclusion into this list:
    • Unfinished Business
    • Reunion
    • Trials of the Luremaster for BG2:EE
    • Will of the Wisp
    • Possibly the other mega-mods (Region of Terror, The Darkest Day, Shadows Over Soubar) if I can muster the patience.

StummvonBordwehrmegamike15leeux
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,611
    the lack of reunion is disturbing.

IseweinGirewan
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 375
    edited July 2019
    I suggest you add the more recent Reunion to the list of Kulyok's other modules here. Since you listed Afaaq and Foundling, I think Jastey's Solaufein also deserves a mention - it's a full-fledged NPC, but works well as a pure quest mod too. Fading Promises is a nice story-focused quest mod similar to I Shall Never Forget which you already mentioned.

Wheels of Prophecy is an absolute must have as well. There is also a great little French quest mod rounding off Jan's story (the name eludes me). Fishing for Trouble probably stands alone among the large quest mods as a nearly bug- and cringe-free experience. Tales of Anegh comes close, as long as you are willing to brave the garbled prose.

Post edited by Isewein on
    AngulimalaStummvonBordwehrineth
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 303
    This is amazing content ineth. There are a lot of great mods here that I never even knew about. Thank you so much.

One question though, do you have any plans to prepare a similar mod impressions post for BG1EE as well? I would be very interested in that too.

edited June 2019
    Isewein wrote: »
    There is also a great little French quest mod rounding off Jan's story (the name eludes my).

This one?
    Ludwig_II wrote: »
    One question though, do you have any plans to prepare a similar mod impressions post for BG1EE as well?

No, I focus on IWD and BG2 these days.

(And IWD doesn't have any quest mods, other than Afaaq lite and Sarevok57's Mega Mod - and even those are just combat encounters.)

yeah iwd is mostly just npc mods and kits. no one really adds quests to that.

leeux
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,420
    IWD does, but IWDEE wisely contacted the author and integrated the good bits directly.

megamike15ineth
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 375
    Yep that's the one, sadly no EE compatibility as of yet (though the author posted a while ago on the forums that we would update it if there were any interest).

• DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 219
    Thanks for doing these reviews, it's cool to get little break downs of all the mods! And you have done it in a very nice to look at manner. You put work into this and it shows :)

Angulimala
    UPDATE: Added Kulyok's Reunion mod to the 2015 - 2019 section.

Angulimalaleeux
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Isewein wrote: »
    I suggest you add the more recent add Reunion to the list of Kulyok's other modules here. :) Since you listed Afaaq and Foundling, I think Jastey's Solaufein also deserves a mention - it's a full-fledged NPC, but works well as a pure quest mod too. Fading Promises is a nice story-focused quest mod similar to I Shall Never Forget which you already mentioned.

Wheels of Prophecy is an absolute must have as well. There is also a great little French quest mod rounding off Jan's story (the name eludes my). Fishing for Trouble is probably alone among the megamods as a nearly bug- and cringe-free experience. Tales of Anegh comes close, as long as you are willing to brave the garbled prose.

What's the name of the Jan's mod?

• lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Arthas wrote: »
    What's the name of the Jan's mod?

Probably this: http://akadis.baldursgateworld.fr/Jan/JansQuestEn.html ?

But I don't think it's compatible with the EE.

Arthas
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,716
    @Gwendolyne do you know if this Jan mod is compatible with EE?

• GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 417
    I am a hundred percent sure it is not. However it might be very easy to make it compatible. As far as I know, there is a project to do so but I don't know how far it is on the way. ;)

Raduziel
  • leeuxleeux Member Posts: 115
    edited July 2019
    Ineth:

(don't want to ping you, not needed!)

Your reviews kinda convinced me to install Check the Bodies on my next playthrough... I was shunning it for the longest time, but I'm a sucker for new areas (specially beautiful made areas!) and I can easily ignore the overpowered loot, just by not using it :)

I already had all Lava's mods and most of the other in your list in my current big install, but now I'm also looking with interest some of the other ones I didn't had included, besides CtB that is, like Reunion and Test your Mettle.

Thanks for writing these reviews!

EDIT: typo

Post edited by leeux on
    StummvonBordwehrIsewein
    UPDATE: Added Tales of Anegh to the 2005 - 2009 section.

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 1,907
    Thank you for considering Kerzenburg mods.
    Seeing Afaaq and Foundling on your list, is there a chance you'd consider taking up Ajantis BGII and my Solaufein mod, as well? Both have quests which must be completed before the NPCs can be taken into the party, and both can be done without having to take the NPCs into the party. For Solaufein, the quest part is fully translated to English.

StummvonBordwehrleeuxinethIsewein
    @jastey
    I've put them on the TODO-list for my next install.

jasteyRaduzielleeux
    edited July 2019
    UPDATE: Added Unfinished Business to the 2000 - 2004 section.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

leeux
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 228
    I'm looking for information about "Every mod and dog", but I can't find any feedback..
    Is it safe to install? Is it stable? Bugs? Any opinion?

the troll quest has a very werid bug where it will soft lock if you kill the trolls in the lair. but other then that it's fine.