Skip to content

Mod impressions: BG2:EE Quest Mods

Comments

• EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @ineth
    I'm quite surprised you didn't mention Region of Terror!
    @ineth
    Morpheus562 made a from-scratch remake of Tactics Remix meant to be natively EET compatible.

Roxanne's Shadows Over Soubar link update.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    @Endarire Shadows over Soubar has an (EET compatible!!) official version! Stop spreading Roxanne's inofficial one, ffs.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,350
    And it has its thread on this site as well:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1178554/#Comment_1178554

Epic mod…. The voice cast of the mod is not so epic…
    @StummvonBordwehr that's not an official mod support topic, I can't promise it will receive notes about mod updates. Thanks for adding a link in that thread.
    jastey wrote: »
    @StummvonBordwehr that's not an official mod support topic, I can't promise it will receive notes about mod updates. Thanks for adding a link in that thread.

Not to worry @jastey
    SOS is one of my fav mods (modesty has never been a strong suit of mine….). So I am trying to keep it alive here as well.
    @StummvonBordwehr that's great! I like it if people like the old mods, mostly I only hear complaints about too buggy or linear.
    @StummvonBordwehr that's great! I like it if people like the old mods, mostly I only hear complaints about too buggy or linear.

I love them. I know they are not perfect (the official walktrough of SoS states that the voice actor sounds like Sean Connery talking into a plastic bag)…. But so what, there are made with love.

But back in the time, when the mega mods where made and released , it opened a whole new world. I wouldnt still be playing the BG saga, if mods hadnt refined and expanded the game. And for the undeniable contribution the mega mods have made, I hold them dearly - and I am a powerplayer by heart, so a little OP loot doesnt scare me (in fact quite the opposite..).

And therefore I am extremely appreciative for the work you (Jastey) and others do. Not only currating the Old mods, but creating new stuff. Thank you - it means a lot to so many.
    @StummvonBordwehr thanks for the kind words. This wouldn't be much fun without people (players) like you.
    @StummvonBordwehr thanks for the kind words. This wouldn't be much fun without people (players) like you.

And I can say ditto. I wouldnt still be playing without the hard working and helpful modders like you.
    I have a similar sentiment: Being able to play with many, many, many mods to expand the Infinity Engine experience has given our family reason to return to the BG saga after beating it many years ago. Many of my qualms then have been fixed by modders.

While I may have bothered many people in the Infinity Engine community due to my questions and interest, it's still a genuine interest in and appreciation for what's there and who did it. Thankee!
    Good to know @Endarire
    I think your genuine interest was and is obvious, so you shouldnt be concerned about that.
    Playing on the iOS has witheld my interest in the EET project, being a Roxanne special didnt help that - you can even sense my unwillingness for the solution in my old post (follow link above). But my sentiments have changed, and your effort in promoting the EET solution will long be remembered.

Just remember that modders are people who spend their free time giving away free entertainment to people like us. They may have lenghty to do lists on their own, that we not need add too… Unless they ask for it, and my answer will always be that the mod needs a tome of resitance of some sort…. But my profile picture pretty much says that already.

Ps. Perhaps a profile picture will help your and Jasteys karma? I Think it would.
    Pps. A tome or manual is always the answer… even when looking for pictures
    Thankee. I did a lot of StarCraft modding, even coauthoring a multiplayer turn based RPG in its real time strategy game engine over 10 years. I also GMed various D&D campaigns for months or years at a time.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 497
    Good to know @Endarire
    I think your genuine interest was and is obvious, so you shouldnt be concerned about that.
    Playing on the iOS has witheld my interest in the EET project, being a Roxanne special didnt help that
    I don't understand what you mean by that, but EET have nothing to do with Roxanne, it's a mod maintained by Kathos.

• GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    @Trouveur The discussion is about SoS and not EET at that point. Roxanne's version might be in a "better" shape, but all versions of the mod are only technically EE(T) compatible and beg for a cleanup (it lacks journal entries for a start).
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 497
    @Trouveur The discussion is about SoS and not EET at that point. Roxanne's version might be in a "better" shape, but all versions of the mod are only technically EE(T) compatible and beg for a cleanup (it lacks journal entries for a start).
    Thanks for the clarification 🙂
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited October 2022
    Endarire wrote: »
    @ineth
    Morpheus562 made a from-scratch remake of Tactics Remix meant to be natively EET compatible.

Thank you for the updates. I'll fix the links.

---

Meanwhile, I found out that there are way more BG2 NPC mods with personal quests than I thought.
    This comprehensive list (last updated 2012) claims that the following joinable BG2 NPCs come with one or more quests:
    (Excluding those that I have already covered in the top posts of this thread, as well as those from the mega-mods NeJ, CtB, RoT, TTD.)

And that doesn't even include new mods released in the last 10 years.

Does anyone have suggestions (from the list above or otherwise), for BG2 NPC mods that
    • work well with the Enhanced Edition, and
    • have quest content that is non-trivial and worthwhile?
  • _DD__DD_ Member Posts: 43
    Not sure about quest content but if you are playing EE, I would suggest leaving some old/outdated npcs like Chloe, Miriam, Tashia and Callisto for the last. Also, I think Longer Road last EE version is this one:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/60999-the-longer-road-20x-combined-release-for-vanilla-and-ee-version/
    _DD_ wrote: »
    Not sure about quest content but if you are playing EE, I would suggest leaving some old/outdated npcs like Chloe, Miriam, Tashia and Callisto for the last. Also, I think Longer Road last EE version is this one:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/60999-the-longer-road-20x-combined-release-for-vanilla-and-ee-version/
    Yes, it's also linked from the official download's page at SHS: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/39-longer-road/
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Fade has a lot of quest content in Athkatla, expanding on the Shadow Thief side of things.

The Longer Road mod (Irenicus) has some quest content in Watcher's Keep, bringing that dungeon into the ToB main plot.

Kivan works well, is very stable, perfectly integrated and extensive in content, but doesn't offer a quest of his own.

Saerileth has very extensive quest content (with repurposed Ps:T maps) but the writing is... a matter of taste.

Xulaye offers less of a quest of her own but rather a completely new flow of and possible resolution to Ust Natha. Highly recommended and easy to combine with other NPC mods, as her stay in the party is of a temporal nature anyway.

I should have been more clear.

The iOS versions have not until recent been able to cope with an EET install. So I had no interest in the project until now.

I used to play BWS with all the mega mods in days of old, and was saddended to see that many of the old mods got Sandrahfied by Roxanne instead of updated to EE and EET standards - not being a great fan of Roxannes work ethics. But I am glad that the not Roxanne affiliated part of the coomunity is doing so much work updating the old mods while making new stuff - it is much appreciated.

And as Graion said, my comments above where primarily angled at the SoS mod.
    Isewein wrote: »
    Fade has a lot of quest content in Athkatla, expanding on the Shadow Thief side of things..

Do you know whether the romance is a prerequisite for all her quest content?
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 245
    ineth wrote: »
    Endarire wrote: »
    @ineth

Thank you for the updates. I'll fix the links.

---

Meanwhile, I found out that there are way more BG2 NPC mods with personal quests than I thought.
    This comprehensive list (last updated 2012) claims that the following joinable BG2 NPCs come with one or more quests:
    (Excluding those that I have already covered in the top posts of this thread, as well as those from the mega-mods NeJ, CtB, RoT, TTD.)

And that doesn't even include new mods released in the last 10 years.

Does anyone have suggestions (from the list above or otherwise), for BG2 NPC mods that

Hmmm, I've never heard about Solestia, Mhoram and Eylorn NPCs. Where can I download those?
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    These were projects under development at PPG which afaik were never completed.
  • _DD__DD_ Member Posts: 43
    Mhoram is an old BG2 mod. I'm not sure if it has a EE update. The old version is in shs:

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/769-mhoram-npc-v23/
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Fade has a lot of quest content in Athkatla, expanding on the Shadow Thief side of things..

I highly recommend the Fade mod as well (it's my all-time favorite NPC mod), but I don't know how much of her content would still be available to someone who doesn't romance her.

Are you unwilling to romance an NPC?

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

If you're willing to romance an NPC, the Yvette romance mod has two extra areas and a new enemy added to the Bodhi maze area.
  • MidnightVoyagerMidnightVoyager Member Posts: 31

I highly recommend the Fade mod as well (it's my all-time favorite NPC mod), but I don't know how much of her content would still be available to someone who doesn't romance her.

Are you unwilling to romance an NPC?

Does "unwilling" matter? They probably need to know ahead of time if it has to be a romance so they know what race and gender they're allowed to play.
    I added three more mods:

I also wrote walkthroughs for the first two (see the links inside the spoiler boxes).