Skip to content

Mod impressions: BG2:EE Quest Mods

inethineth Member Posts: 707
edited March 2023 in BGII:EE Mods
q6UlHZQ.png

In this thread I'd like to briefly introduce a wide range of quest mods, for the benefit of other players who are looking for more content to explore in Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition.

All of these can be installed on the current version of BG2:EE; most also on EET and on the original BG2:ToB.

Table of contents:
  • 2000 - 2004
    • The Darkest Day
    • Shadows over Soubar
    • Tactics
    • Planar Sphere Mod
    • Check the Bodies
    • Ajoc's Minimod
    • Unfinished Business
    • Quest Pack
    • The Gibberlings Three Anniversary Mod
    • Every Mod and Dog

• 2005 - 2009
    • the bigg Quest Pack
    • Xan BG2 NPC
    • Fade
    • Amber
    • Tower of Deception
    • Spellhold Gauntlet
    • Beyond the Law
    • Dungeon Crawl
    • de'Arnise Romance
    • Angelo
    • Assassinations
    • Tales of Anegh
    • Xulaye
    • Jan's Extended Quest
    • Tales of the Deep Gardens

• 2010 - 2014
    • Innershade
    • Breagar
    • Eilistraee's Song
    • Fishing for Trouble
    • The White Queen
    • I Shall Never Forget
    • Adrian
    • Sir Ajantis NPC for BGII
    • The Sellswords
    • Back to Brynnlaw

• 2015 - 2019
    • Afaaq, the Djinni Companion
    • Foundling: Between the Shades
    • Reunion
    • Will of the Wisps
    • Keldorn Romance
    • Southern Edge
    • Skie: The Cost of One Girl's Soul
    • Solaufein's Rescue
    • Ooze's Lounge
    • Test Your Mettle!
    • Trials of the Luremaster for BG2:EE

• 2020 - 2024
    • Tangled Oak Isle
    • Heroes, Thieves and Moneylenders
    • Skitia's NPCs
    • Bridge’s Block

• Abbreviations used
  • See Also
Post edited by ineth on
StummvonBordwehrLudwig_IIjasteyDawgliciousFlashburnGusindaleeuxArdulSanctiferIseweinhanhwisootl1942

Comments

• inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited March 2023
    Iz99Fqt.png

doH8H3U.png
    HxSlZPf.png

Tangled Oak Isle adds another district to Athkatla: An island in the sea just outside the city wall.

The isle has an inn, tavern, temple, lighthouse, and more.
    Besides various mini-quests, you can investigate the sickness that has befallen the Tangled Oak (the isle's namesake), which leads to additional new maps (ch2*).

To get there:
    • It appears on the worldmap together with the other districts of Athkatla.
    To start the quests:
    • Quests that start on the Tangled Oak Isle:
      • The Tangled Matter: Talk to Finn below the oak.
      • ...but who killed Jaalv?: Complete "The Tangled Matter".
      • Moomik's Request: Talk to Moomik in the lighthouse.
      • Missing Copper Ring: Talk to the "Pale Man" in the house near the lighthouse.
      • Harsh Motherhood: Talk to the "Sad Girl" at the left edge of the map.
      • The Book Club: Talk to Hron/Miga in the Seven Legs Pub.
      • The Book Club: Part Two: Talk to Nikt near the lighthouse after completing "The Book Club".
      • Some Fresh Air: Talk to Sakara upstairs in Nuna's inn.
      • Voice in the Shell: Interact with the door of the house on the right edge of the map.
      • The Golems: Talk to Kamma in the house near the temple.
    • Quests that start elsewhere:
      • Crate needed: "Angry Man" initiates conversation on the bottom pier of the Bridge District.

VRbPUT4.png
    HNW7880.png

Heroes, Thieves and Moneylenders adds a bank to Athkatla, as well as several quests (ch2*, ch3, ch4, ch6).

The bank allows your party to open an account, deposit money, let it accrue interest, and make withdrawals.

There are quests related to the bank, quests related to the thieves guild (incl. an Aran Linvail romance), and other quests (incl. a detective quest about a missing circus troll). Some of them lead to beautiful new maps.

To enter the bank:
    • Guarded door at bottom corner of Waukeen's Promenade.
    To start the quests:
    • Component Interjections & Mini-quests:
      • For love: Paris approaches you in the lower part of the Government District of Athkatla.
      • Dangerous Book: ???
      • NPC interjections and expansions to existing quests: See the mod's README.
    • Component First Calimport Bank Pack:
      • [Imoen/Neera] found a job: Enter the basement of the bank with Imoen or Neera in the party.
      • Mae’Var’s Stash: Complete Renal Bloodscalp's quest with Edwin in the party (requires: non-lawful, non-good, no Thieves Stronghold).
      • Great Dwarf Debt: Complete Korgan's official quest.
      • Trap for Druids: ???
      • Pirate Legacy: ???
      • Nothing comes without a price: Talk to "Jackal" (debt collector) on the roof of the Copper Coronet in the Slums district of Athkatla (mutually exclusive with "Great Dwarf Debt").
      • Combat the Collector: Follow-up for "Nothing comes without a price".
      • Call to bank: ???
    • Component Shadow-Covered Love & Death:
      • For female protagonist (thief, non-LG, INT 13+, CHA 9+, human/elf/half-elf):
        • Message from Aran: ???
        • Messenger from Riatavin: ???
        • Mysterious Stranger: ???
        • Shadow-Covered Love: ???
        • Abu Hazab's Magic Lamp: ???
      • For male protagonist:
        • Beshaba's Curse: Renal Bloodscalp sends a messenger, after his Mae'Var quest (ch2*).
        • Abu Hazab's Magic Lamp: Aran Linvail sends a messenger, 2 days after you complete his "Mook" quest (ch3) or one day after you kill Bodhi (ch6) (requirement: have or had thieves stronghold).
    • Component The Missing Troll Case:
      • The Missing Troll Case: Quayle sends a messenger a day after the official circus quest.
      • Siren’s Silence: ???
      • Lorio Sword: ???

YMmHJqg.png
    Cxsxslz.png

Skitia's NPCs For BG2:EE and EET adds five joinable NPCs to Athkatla, each with a custom kit and some personal quest content. The quests tie into the respective NPC's friendship talks, and don't add new maps.

Emily: NG Aasimar Archer ("Arcane Archer").
    She is caught between her adventuring life and the politics of becoming her noble family's heir (ch2*, ch6).

Helga: CN Dwarf Cleric ("Priest of Haela").
    Besides a tournament mini-quest (ch2*), her content revolves around a reunion with her son (ToB).

Kale: CN Halfling Fighter ("Warden").
    He is reluctantly looking into the death of his estranged father, which leads to a detective quest (ch2*).

Recorder: NG Gnome Bard ("Lorekeeper").
    She is eager to travel with the Hero of Baldur's Gate who she's been chronicling. But her own past is catching up with her... (ch2*, ch4)

Vienxay: NE Elf Mage/Thief ("Shadowmage").
    Expelled from her homeland, she is now searching for a tome that would grant her power. (ch2*, ch5, ToB)

Where to find them & how to start their quests:
    • Emily: Mithrest Inn in Waukeen's Promenade.
      • To Be Heir: Emily initiates dialog after she joins your party.
    • Helga: Den of Seven Vales in Waukeen's Promenade.
      • Rulendo's Gauntlet: Approach the Copper Coronet with Helga in the party.
      • Helga's son: Berk initiates dialog on the battlements in Saradush if Helga is in the party.
    • Kale: Outside the Copper Coronet in the Slums district.
      • Kale's Father: Kale initiates dialog after he joins your party.
    • Recorder: Temple of Oghma in the Docks district.
      • Hunted: Bounty hunters attack after you've travelled with Recorder for a while.
      • Phelgrim: Recorder initiates dialog when you take her to Brynnlaw.
    • Vienxay: Outdoors in Waukeen's Promenade.
      • The Tome of Myth Drannor: Vienxay initiates dialog a while after she joins your party.

vSoKbot.png
    qPz4aBK.png

Bridge’s Block expands the Bridge District of Athkatla, by letting you explore the inside of the big stone wall there.

It consists of two long indoor maps (photoshopped from BG2 area art), with four small quests (ch2*).

To get there:
    • Go through the entrance in the left wall of the Bridge District (near the central arch).
    To start the quests:
    • Bridge's Block's Monster: Mrs. Yawnhex initiates conversation when you approach the entrance.
    • Missing Gloves in the Bridge's Block: Talk to Koree on the first floor.
    • The Summoner from the Bridge's Block: Talk to Johef on the first floor.
    • Mr. Rat in the Bridge's Block: Talk to Mr. Rat on the second floor.

Post edited by ineth on
    edited March 2023
    EswTrgz.png
    • Games (BG1, SoD, BG2, ToB, BG2:EE, EET, IWD1, IWD2, PST)
      • BG1 = Baldur's Gate
      • SoD = Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear [expansion]
      • BG2 = Baldur's Gate II
      • ToB = Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal [expansion]
      • BG2:EE = Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition
      • EET = Enhanced Edition Trilogy [mod]
      • IWD1 = Icewind Dale
      • IWD2 = Icewind Dale II
      • PST = Planescape: Torment
    • BG2 chapters (ch1, ch2*, ch3, ch4, ch5, ch6, ch7, ToB)
      I used these abbreviations to document when in the Baldur's Gate II game different quest content becomes available:
      • ch1 = Chapter 1 (Irenicus Dungeon).
        I consider Waukeen's Promenade "logically" part of chapter 2, even if technically, the chapter 2 intro slide only plays after Gaelan Bayle.
      • ch2* = Chapter 2 (Athkatla + countryside).
        The asterisk is a reminder that most of this content also remains available in chapters 3 and 6.
      • ch3 = Chapter 3 (Athkatla + countryside, after buying passage to Spellhold).
      • ch4 = Chapter 4 (Brynnlaw + Spellhold + Sahuagin City).
      • ch5 = Chapter 5 (Underdark).
      • ch6 = Chapter 6 (Athkatla + countryside, after emerging from Underdark).
      • ch7 = Chapter 7 (Suldanesselar + Hell).
      • ToB = Chapters 8 to 10, i.e. the Throne of Bhaal portion of the game.
    • Alignments (LG, NG, CG, LN, TN, CN, LE, NE, CE)
      I used these abbreviations to document the alignment of NPCs:
      • LG = Lawful Good
      • NG = Neutral Good
      • CG = Chaotic Good
      • LN = Lawful Neutral
      • TN = True Neutral
      • CN = Chaotic Neutral
      • LE = Lawful Evil
      • NE = Neutral Evil
      • CE = Chaotic Evil

3zTrXDa.png

By others:
    By me:
    Post edited by ineth on
    hanhwisootl1942
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Very disappointed that you left off the best BG2 quest mod.
    Iseweinineth
    edited June 2019
    @CamDawg For some reason I've never tried that one. Putting in on the list for my next install.

Other mods I have on the radar for eventual inclusion into this list:
    • Unfinished Business
    • Reunion
    • Trials of the Luremaster for BG2:EE
    • Will of the Wisp
    • Possibly the other mega-mods (Region of Terror, The Darkest Day, Shadows Over Soubar) if I can muster the patience.
    StummvonBordwehrmegamike15leeux
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the lack of reunion is disturbing.
    IseweinGirewan
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited July 2019
    I suggest you add the more recent Reunion to the list of Kulyok's other modules here. Since you listed Afaaq and Foundling, I think Jastey's Solaufein also deserves a mention - it's a full-fledged NPC, but works well as a pure quest mod too. Fading Promises is a nice story-focused quest mod similar to I Shall Never Forget which you already mentioned.

Wheels of Prophecy is an absolute must have as well. There is also a great little French quest mod rounding off Jan's story (the name eludes me). Fishing for Trouble probably stands alone among the large quest mods as a nearly bug- and cringe-free experience. Tales of Anegh comes close, as long as you are willing to brave the garbled prose.
    Post edited by Isewein on
    AngulimalaStummvonBordwehrineth
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    This is amazing content ineth. There are a lot of great mods here that I never even knew about. Thank you so much.

One question though, do you have any plans to prepare a similar mod impressions post for BG1EE as well? I would be very interested in that too.
    edited June 2019
    Isewein wrote: »
    There is also a great little French quest mod rounding off Jan's story (the name eludes my).

This one?
    Ludwig_II wrote: »
    One question though, do you have any plans to prepare a similar mod impressions post for BG1EE as well?

No, I focus on IWD and BG2 these days.

(And IWD doesn't have any quest mods, other than Afaaq lite and Sarevok57's Mega Mod - and even those are just combat encounters.)
    yeah iwd is mostly just npc mods and kits. no one really adds quests to that.
    leeux
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    IWD does, but IWDEE wisely contacted the author and integrated the good bits directly.
    megamike15ineth
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    Yep that's the one, sadly no EE compatibility as of yet (though the author posted a while ago on the forums that we would update it if there were any interest).
  • DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    Thanks for doing these reviews, it's cool to get little break downs of all the mods! And you have done it in a very nice to look at manner. You put work into this and it shows :)
    Angulimala
    UPDATE: Added Kulyok's Reunion mod to the 2015 - 2019 section.
    Angulimalaleeux
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Isewein wrote: »
    I suggest you add the more recent add Reunion to the list of Kulyok's other modules here. :) Since you listed Afaaq and Foundling, I think Jastey's Solaufein also deserves a mention - it's a full-fledged NPC, but works well as a pure quest mod too. Fading Promises is a nice story-focused quest mod similar to I Shall Never Forget which you already mentioned.

Wheels of Prophecy is an absolute must have as well. There is also a great little French quest mod rounding off Jan's story (the name eludes my). Fishing for Trouble is probably alone among the megamods as a nearly bug- and cringe-free experience. Tales of Anegh comes close, as long as you are willing to brave the garbled prose.

What's the name of the Jan's mod?
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Arthas wrote: »
    What's the name of the Jan's mod?

Probably this: http://akadis.baldursgateworld.fr/Jan/JansQuestEn.html ?

But I don't think it's compatible with the EE.
    Arthas
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    @lefreut thank you
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Gwendolyne do you know if this Jan mod is compatible with EE?
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    I am a hundred percent sure it is not. However it might be very easy to make it compatible. As far as I know, there is a project to do so but I don't know how far it is on the way. ;)
    Raduziel
  • leeuxleeux Member Posts: 115
    edited July 2019
    Ineth:

(don't want to ping you, not needed!)

Your reviews kinda convinced me to install Check the Bodies on my next playthrough... I was shunning it for the longest time, but I'm a sucker for new areas (specially beautiful made areas!) and I can easily ignore the overpowered loot, just by not using it :)

I already had all Lava's mods and most of the other in your list in my current big install, but now I'm also looking with interest some of the other ones I didn't had included, besides CtB that is, like Reunion and Test your Mettle.

Thanks for writing these reviews!

EDIT: typo
    Post edited by leeux on
    StummvonBordwehrIsewein
    UPDATE: Added Tales of Anegh to the 2005 - 2009 section.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Thank you for considering Kerzenburg mods.
    Seeing Afaaq and Foundling on your list, is there a chance you'd consider taking up Ajantis BGII and my Solaufein mod, as well? Both have quests which must be completed before the NPCs can be taken into the party, and both can be done without having to take the NPCs into the party. For Solaufein, the quest part is fully translated to English.
    StummvonBordwehrleeuxinethIsewein
    @jastey
    I've put them on the TODO-list for my next install.
    jasteyRaduzielleeux
    edited July 2019
    UPDATE: Added Unfinished Business to the 2000 - 2004 section.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    leeux
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 248
    I'm looking for information about "Every mod and dog", but I can't find any feedback..
    Is it safe to install? Is it stable? Bugs? Any opinion?
    the troll quest has a very werid bug where it will soft lock if you kill the trolls in the lair. but other then that it's fine.