Skip to content

[MOD] Bristlelick - the gnoll bruiser NPC

2»

Comments

• LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    As always, it's just a matter of looking into the readme:
    -Changed Bristlelick's alignment to true neutral to reflect his actual character

As for bruiser:
    GNOLL BRUISER: These gnoll warriors are taught to fight the hard way: through long sparrings with the strongest fighters of their pack. They are fierce and do not back down. They usually wield halberds and swords, and they aren't well known for using shields.

ADVANTAGES:
    – Immunity to fear and morale failure.
    – May use the Provoke ability once per day.

PROVOKE: The Gnoll Bruiser taunts the targeted creature, causing them to go berserk and uncontrollably attack the nearest creature for 3 rounds unless a Save vs. Death at -5 is made. While berserk, the target gains a +4 bonus to damage but suffers a -4 penalty to THAC0 and Armor Class. Provoke can only affect humanoid creatures.

– May use the Ferocious Bite ability once per day. Extra uses are gained every 2 levels thereafter.

FEROCIOUS BITE: The Gnoll Bruiser assaults the target with his fangs, dealing 1d8 piercing damage and healing the gnoll bruiser for the same amount. There is a 25% chance the target will go berserk for 2 rounds. The damage increases to 1d12 at level 7 and 2d8 at level 10.

– Level 4: May use the Inspire Ferocity ability once per day. Extra uses are gained every 4 levels thereafter.

INSPIRE FEROCITY: The Gnoll Bruiser inspires an allied creature with a bloodthirsty rally, granting both the target and himself a +1 bonus to THAC0 and damage for 3 rounds. The target is also cleansed of and becomes immune to fear for the duration of the effect. The bonuses increase to +2 at level 6 and +3 at level 8.

– Level 6: May use the Pack Tactics ability once per day. Extra uses are gained every 6 levels thereafter.

PACK TACTICS: The Gnoll Bruiser and his allies strike as a coordinated pack, which results in all nearby allied creatures receiving a +2 bonus to THAC0, movement rate and critical hit rate for 2 rounds. Once these effects wear off, they gain a +2 bonus to Armor Class for another two rounds.

DISADVANTAGES:
    – May only allocate proficiency slots in the following weapons: Halberds, Bastard Swords, and Axes.
    – May not allocate any proficiency slots in the Single-Weapon and Two-Weapon Styles.
    – Alignment restricted to any non-good.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    edited December 2022
    Closer inspection of the Bruiser kit makes it well-suited to our planned party's composition of an army of summons, mind controlled characters, and minions.

Thankee!
    Post edited by Endarire on
  • ConnellyConnelly Member Posts: 70
    I got a couple issues installing Bristlelick v2.2 on BG1EE, with only DLC Merger present.
    First, it looks only for the EET BG2800 are file, and not the equivalent BGEE AR2800 one. Easy enough to hotfix changing a bit in line 23 of Bristlelick-BGEE.tpa, but you might want to make it do the distinction between BGEE and EET.

Still, even after getting past that, I also get this:
    ERROR locating resource for 'CHAIN3'
    Resource [BEDWIN_.DLG] not found in KEY file: [./chitin.key]
    ERROR: preprocessing APPEND_EARLY [bristlelick/dialogue/l#bristb.d]: Failure("resource [BEDWIN_.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3'")

There's is a BEDWIN dialog file, but no BEDWIN_. I didn't manage to find a solution to this though.

And (not the same mod, I know) Walahnan BG1EE v2.0 also gave me a similar error where there's a NEB.dlg but looks for a NEB_ :
    ERROR: preprocessing APPEND_EARLY [Walahnan/dialogue/l#walahj.d]: Failure("resource [NEB_.DLG] not found for 'CHAIN3'")

I haven't played through SoD yet but I enjoyed the BG1 portion. Bristlelick truly reads as someone who is not nor will be like the "civilized" people, but still looks for the common ground. Big boi fren.
    @Connelly
    Erm, I just checked it on BG1EE (without EET) using both modmerge and DLC Merger and it installed without issues on both. I don't know why you are having these issues.

@GraionDilach -- have you seen anything like that before?
  • ConnellyConnelly Member Posts: 70
    edited May 2023
    @LavaDelVortel I tried downloading the mods again, the same BG1 + DLC Merger install. They're the same version: same files, same code, the only difference being I just downloaded this copy. But this time they did install correctly and I can't tell why.

I don't know what to tell you. False alarm except for the eternal confusion, I guess.
    Post edited by Connelly on
    It's fine :) I am mostly glad you can enjoy the mod without significant problems / errors :)
    Does Pack Tactics also affect allies outside of party members such as summons, familiars, and friendly bystanders?

Thankee!
    As the description says:

Pack Tactics
    The gnoll bruiser and his allies strike as a coordinated pack, which results in all nearby allied creatures receiving a +2 bonus to THAC0, movement rate, and critical hit rate for 2 rounds. Once these effects wear off, they gain a +2 bonus to Armor Class for another two rounds.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    One question: Bristle doesn't seem to speak with the other companions. Perhaps he will eventually? Not a big deal if he doesn't (he doesn't strike me as a chatty guy). But I thought I would check whether this supposed to be the case.

I thought I would mention that this problem (Bristlelick not speaking with other companions) was noted in the following review:
    https://smolderingmodsbar.com/bristlelick-bgee-sod/

From the review:
    "There are numerous banters with other NPCs – many in the group merely tolerate him, while others find ways to connect with him. I had to force these banters with Ctrl+I, however; perhaps there was a bug that prevented them from triggering."

That aside, the review is quite positive about Bristlelick:
    "Overall, I had a very enjoyable time with the mod and it’s highly recommended."
    To clarify, does Bristlelick's Pack Tactics ability also apply to nearby allies/neutral creatures such as summons?
    edited May 2023
    PLEASE, read the description I already posted:
    Pack Tactics
    The gnoll bruiser and his allies strike as a coordinated pack, which results in all nearby allied creatures receiving a +2 bonus to THAC0, movement rate, and critical hit rate for 2 rounds. Once these effects wear off, they gain a +2 bonus to Armor Class for another two rounds.

And now your question:
    To clarify, does Bristlelick's Pack Tactics ability also apply to nearby allies/neutral creatures such as summons?

ALLIES are ALLIES. So yes, the ability should affect allies. I don't know how to be more clear. An no, neutral creatures are not allies. They are neutral, unless they use special setting in .cre file. If it is still unclear, please, just check the actual files or check it in game, or something.
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on