Skip to content

[MOD] Afaaq, the Djinni Companion for BG2 and BG2:EE released

Comments

• ensbanaensbana Member Posts: 80
    Perhaps if I can get the lamp back, I can put Afaaq in there? Is there any way to get the lamp via the console?
  • TulgasTulgas Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2020
    ensbana wrote: »
    Perhaps if I can get the lamp back, I can put Afaaq in there? Is there any way to get the lamp via the console?

Easier to do this via EEKeeper, you can add any item with it
    edited September 2020
    Tulgas wrote: »

Easier to do this via EEKeeper, you can add any item with it

Hey I’ve managed to do that. The name is still wrong though. When I go to the Creature browser section of EEKeeper, in the entries for Afaaq his name is still correct. So I’m not sure how to fix it.
    Post edited by ensbana on
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    I’m currently having an issue playing this mod. So after I got to Umar Hills, some guys showed up and took the lamp and Afaaq away. His quest showed up on my journal. I was gonna get him back later, but then when I escaped from Spellhold Afaaq automatically joined my party.

That would be fine had I also got the lamp back. But I didn’t and now there’s no options to put Afaaq back in the lamp. Plus I think there’s a conflict with my other mods somewhere, resulting in Afaaq’s name being a (long) line of dialogue instead of “Afaaq”.

I’m tempted to uninstall and re-install the mod. But that would make it ending up at the bottom of my mod list. Is that still ok?

Here’s what the name of the Djinn currently looks like:

====================

Edit: I read the FAQs and it seems like I should have lost Afaaq permanently since I waited too long to do the “Vengeance” quest. So his re-joining my party is definitely not intended?

The djinni appearing in Spellhold even after the failed "Vengeance" quest might be a bug. I have to check.

Afaaq's name being incorrect is usually a result of changing the mod setup in the middle of a game. Reinstalling the mod wouldn't fix it unless you start a new game.

The easiest way to solve this problem is probably with the help of a resource editor such as Near Infinity (to look up the name reference) and the game's debug console (to fix the name):
    - First, open Near Infinity and select menu Search -> Stringref...
    - Enter the following string into the "Find what" input line: ^Afaaq$
    - Select the checkbox "Use regular expressions" and press the "Find Next" button
    - If there is a result, write down the numeric StringRef value at the top of the dialog (or use Ctrl+C to copy it to the clipboard)
    - Start the game and load the save with Afaaq having the wrong name
    - Open the debug console (Ctrl+Space) and enter the following line:
    C:Eval('SetName(12345)')

Replace 12345 by the Strref value you have written down (or use Ctrl+V to paste it into the editor).
    - Execute the command while the mouse cursor is placed over Afaaq's selection circle (important!).
    - Save the game.
    I got the mod going again, and it works great this time. I’ve just got the djinni lamp snatched from me (beginning of the Vengeance quest), but I don’t know where to go next?
    I got the mod going again, and it works great this time. I’ve just got the djinni lamp snatched from me (beginning of the Vengeance quest), but I don’t know where to go next?

Did you search the bodies of the rakshasas who attacked you? You should find an item that allows you to progress.
  • RenquistRenquist Member Posts: 5
    waited too long to do vengence quest

Is there any way to reverse this without starting a new save?
    Renquist wrote: »
    waited too long to do vengence quest

Is there any way to reverse this without starting a new save?

That might be a bit tricky to restore. Try these console commands:
    C:SetGlobal("A7Quest2","GLOBAL",1)
    C:SetGlobal("A7Quest2Timer","GLOBAL",999999999)

If you don't have the Jade Orb anymore use this console command as well:
    C:CreateItem("A7MISC3",1)

Thank you. I'll give it a spin and will update
    that worked! Thanks argent!
  • Homer_SHomer_S Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2021
    I'm a little stuck: what demon heart will satisfy Malik? I had one left from the Planar Sphere and I got Tahazzar's Heart from Watcher's Keep. Neither is accepted.

Homer
    Homer_S wrote: »
    I'm a little stuck: what demon heart will satisfy Malik? I had one left from the Planar Sphere and I got Tahazzar's Heart from Watcher's Keep. Neither is accepted.

Homer

An ordinary demon heart isn't enough. It has to be the heart of a demon prince. There is only one demon prince known in the whole game you can challenge to a fight.
  • Homer_SHomer_S Member Posts: 3
    argent77 wrote: »
    Homer_S wrote: »

Homer

An ordinary demon heart isn't enough. It has to be the heart of a demon prince. There is only one demon prince known in the whole game you can challenge to a fight.

Thanks! I guess I'll keep going down. One other comment, great stuff BTW. During the same quest the part where you have to get a Fire Elemental to follow you, it gets stuck behind the work table. Once you get it freed, it moves like 3 steps and stops. I had to tell it to follow me like 50 times to get it to the FedEx destination.

Homer
    There is little I can do to work around the pathfinding issues in the current game version. Let's hope BG2EE patch v2.6 improves the situation somewhat. Telling the elemental to wait and then telling it to follow you again should have fixed it though. If nothing else helped you could have killed the elemental and ordered the efreet summoner to conjure another one.
  • PierpoljackPierpoljack Member Posts: 23
    Hello i just wanted to say i love the afaaq mod ,it's a good compagnions with many capacity for gameplay is banter and quest are interisting and really cool to interact with and he just became a natural compagnions on my campaigns but i have a question :
    I am at the cavern for the quest ''Playing with fire" at amkethran and there is two locked thing in the cavern , the first is a locked chest surrounded by lava that i cannot touch and a building locked ,are they just decoratives ,is there something inside of them ? please, it's haunt me.
    Good day
    edited April 2021
    Hello i just wanted to say i love the afaaq mod ,it's a good compagnions with many capacity for gameplay is banter and quest are interisting and really cool to interact with and he just became a natural compagnions on my campaigns but i have a question :
    I am at the cavern for the quest ''Playing with fire" at amkethran and there is two locked thing in the cavern , the first is a locked chest surrounded by lava that i cannot touch and a building locked ,are they just decoratives ,is there something inside of them ? please, it's haunt me.
    Good day

The building is used for a specific way how to solve the quest. (Iirc) it's only available to evil parties though.

The inaccessible chest is blocked for a reason. ;) You won't get the content without cheating - and in that case the content isn't really needed anymore. It's actually just a leftover from development (that I intentionally left in the mod to torture completionists :p ).
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    It's actually just a leftover from development (that I intentionally left in the mod to torture completionists :p ).
    LOL!

• PierpoljackPierpoljack Member Posts: 23
    Good day

The building is used for a specific way how to solve the quest. (Iirc) it's only available to evil parties though.

The inaccessible chest is blocked for a reason. ;) You won't get the content without cheating - and in that case the content isn't really needed anymore. It's actually just a leftover from development (that I intentionally left in the mod to torture completionists :p ).

at least i know what was it's purpose,thanks for the reply.
    Good week month.
    New release: Afaaq, the Djinni Companion 2.9

Changes in v2.9:
    • Added Project Infinity support.
    • Added Shaman class detection to Afaaq's introduction dialog.
    • Added a hidden item to the "Playing with fire" quest.
    • Improved Adratha's initial spawn point (Adratha subquest).
    • Updated compatibility section in the readme.
    • Several internal improvements.
  • cddscdds Member Posts: 46
    Love the mod, however one request: would it be possible to add an optional component which removes any time-limits from the added quests? They always make me anxious and they also increase the chance that users of your mod wont actually see content that you created
    cdds wrote: »
    Love the mod, however one request: would it be possible to add an optional component which removes any time-limits from the added quests? They always make me anxious and they also increase the chance that users of your mod wont actually see content that you created

There is only one quest timer (iirc) - for the djinni abduction quest. The timer is set to 6 days, which should be enough to properly prepare for the quest. I could maybe increase the time limit to 10 days. However, removing it completely wouldn't make sense storywise.
  • anathema83anathema83 Member Posts: 47
    Hey, has anybody tried installing this mod mid-game? I was totally certain that I had installed him, but to my surprise - I hadn't. I'm about to go to kill Adratha, and I would like to know if it's possible to experience this mod if I install it right now. Btw - I have BGT worldmap installed, I don't know if it changes anything.
    anathema83 wrote: »
    Hey, has anybody tried installing this mod mid-game? I was totally certain that I had installed him, but to my surprise - I hadn't. I'm about to go to kill Adratha, and I would like to know if it's possible to experience this mod if I install it right now. Btw - I have BGT worldmap installed, I don't know if it changes anything.

It should work, as long as you haven't entered Adratha's home yet. It might be more difficult to trigger the second (optional) quest though, depending on how many maps of the game you have already visited.
  • anathema83anathema83 Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2023
    anathema83 wrote: »

It should work, as long as you haven't entered Adratha's home yet. It might be more difficult to trigger the second (optional) quest though, depending on how many maps of the game you have already visited.

What do you mean? You mean that there are some places where I should have met someone connected to him? Or some maps should have some new entrances? I'm going to check bcs and globals, so I won't miss anything, but maybe you can point me what should I focus on?
    The mod adds some trigger zones to several maps which are responsible for starting this optional quest. If you've visited these maps already then changes made by the mod are not considered anymore, since visited maps are automatically stored as copies in your saved games.

The mod adds these triggers to a great number of maps though, so you're most likely not completely locked out.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    edited May 2023
    EDIT: The documentation says Afaaq is found in Trademeet.

Where can we initially find Afaaq?

Thankee!
    Endarire wrote: »
    EDIT: The documentation says Afaaq is found in Trademeet.

Where can we initially find Afaaq?

Thankee!

This is answered in more detail in the FAQ section of the readme (second question). Follow the advice and you'll eventually find Afaaq.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    What say you to doing crossmod with Rjali Romance and Jini Romance since they're genies? The author of these mods, Nullset, retired from modding, but Austin and the ArcaneCoast team took them over.

Thankee!
    Endarire wrote: »
    What say you to doing crossmod with Rjali Romance and Jini Romance since they're genies? The author of these mods, Nullset, retired from modding, but Austin and the ArcaneCoast team took them over.

Thankee!

I haven't tried out the mod, but from the description is sounds like a "special" kind of fan-fiction romance mod. I don't think crossmod content would make sense between these two mods.
  • kaiokaio Member Posts: 12
    Hi, thank you for the mod.

I just "recruited" Afaaq.
    However, every couple of seconds a "glitter" effect with a sound is played, and i find annoying.
    Is that a bug or a working feature?
    In case of a bug, how could fix it? I tried to re-install the mod but nothing changed .
    In case of feature or no better solution, do you know the filename sound effect? In that way I could override with a no-sound file and I think that should work.

Here's a short clip to show the effect I'm talking about: https://gofile.io/d/QMZzFo