Skip to content

[MOD] Dark Tidings - a quest mod for BG2

2»

Comments

• AciferAcifer Member Posts: 157
    megrimlock wrote: »
    Weirdly your unreleased mod Silver Realms already has a bunch of areas ready to go in the latest version of the worldmap mod. Or maybe that isn't weird, I don't think we know anything about the development process for that one.
    Yes, @weigo did a great job by adding all the accessible areas of Silverrealms to the world map (as most of this mod is unfolding in the Underdark, there's plenty to see below the surface, too). All this was done during the early beta testing phase more than a year ago. However, during those tests it became clear that I needed to change several gameplay and story elements, so this mod is still work in progress for some time. But the editing of the areas and the world map is finished.
  • megrimlockmegrimlock Member Posts: 40
    That's an interesting tidbit to whet the appetite, thank you.
  • Granger77Granger77 Member Posts: 14
    This mod sounds amazing! Will definitely be downloading it for my next run!
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Acifer
    To confirm, is the latest version EET compatible? I ask since I didn't see anything definite on this thread.

Thankee!
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,686
    For anyone reading this. the first posts clearly states:
    - Enhanced Edition Trilogy (EET) - not tested yet
    @Endarire we understood you don't care about respecting others and general courtesy. It would still be great not to be such a d***. [Note to moderators: this comment has a history.]
    The mod updates to version 1.5:
    - The mod will now install correctly on macOS and Linux; many thanks to @argent77 and @ShaiHulud !

This is only a technical update for macOS and Linux users. All other intended fixes that relate to game content will follow in an upcoming update. Windows users do not need to reinstall the mod with version 1.5.
  • cddscdds Member Posts: 46
    edited October 2023
    Could you give some estimate about the XP and approximate power-level of equipment that will be gained by playing through this mod? i already have lots of quest/content mods installed and want to be a bit careful about unbalancing the power curve too much...
    The mod should not derail your gaming experience too much. You don't get overpowered items, but some stuff that might be helpful in the first third of the game. The same applies to the amount of experience points.
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 179
    I think I had a few issues with one of those mods. One mod installs lots of files and they seem to be placed differently compared to other mods. I am not sure if this then caused issues via weidu, but I decided to go with other mods instead that seem to have a better directory structure, e. g. Lava mods and other mods that seem to be more "streamlined". Not sure if it was this mod, or another mod hosted at https://baldurs-gate.de/.

(Rest is german, just for the main author in case he reads it: Eventuell könnte man überprüfen wie die Dateistruktur ist, der tiles und so weiter, aller mods auf baldurs-gate.de; und, abgesehen davon, dies auch eventuell auf github hosten. Zum Beispiel bei den spellstudio github Zeugs. Es ist schwierig herauszufinden welche mods Probleme verursachen; ich lese dann meistens das weiduo install-log, manche mods installieren binnen 1-2 Minuten, andere benötigen so 5-10 Minuten, was sehr komisch ist.)
    Not sure if it was this mod, or another mod hosted at https://baldurs-gate.de/
    Well, it would be good to know if it is actually this mod when you post here. Unfortunately, from what you write, I don't understand what could have gone wrong. This mod installs quite a lot of resources, so it may take a little longer to install.

If you have problems with many of the mods hosted on the German Baldur’s Gate site and you are able to speak German, I advise you to address the forum directly, as the moderators and admins there might be able to help you.
  • TrevimusPrimeTrevimusPrime Member Posts: 28
    A well done mod, fit into BG2 nicely and didn't feel like fan content. Mandatory install for any playthrough
    A well done mod, fit into BG2 nicely and didn't feel like fan content. Mandatory install for any playthrough

Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed the mod. That motivates me to finish my other projects as quickly as possible.
  • SourSour Member Posts: 89
    I'm using EET but I'm making a new mega mod install and I've decided to include this for testing as I previously intended. Wish me luck!
    Good luck! :smile:
    Thank you for testing this! I have received a few reports in which there were no problems using EET. I hope this will be the same for you. :wink:
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Looking forward to this, cheers!
  • docbearddocbeard Member Posts: 10
    Just played through this last night and I enjoyed it a lot! (And for the data point, I used it in an EET installation and had no problems whatsoever.)
    edited February 4
    Thank you very much for your feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed the mod. And now I'll mention in the mod notes that the mod is EET-compatible. :)
  • LlewrenLlewren Member Posts: 35
    Hi Acifer, I've just published a review on Dark Tidings! I very much enjoyed it and I'm excited to see what else you cook up.

https://smolderingmodsbar.com/dark-tidings-bg2-ee/
    @Llewren :
    Thank you very much for your review! I'm happy that you enjoyed the mod.
    I will gladly include the issues you mentioned in the next version of the mod. :)
  • shadowlichshadowlich Member Posts: 59
    edited March 27
    Picked up v1.5 and analized by code the mod :

AC#DT41A.baf is never used and AC#DT41E.dv is missing //.dv means deathvar
    AC#ELEW2.baf is never used and AC#WATW2.itm is missing
    ACDT07.baf is never used and (acdtbowl.itm ACDTSEAW.dv ACDTSIRE.dv SIRINE01.dv) are missing
    ACDT10.are door2 is never used/showed and AC#KEYNO.itm is missing

AC#WEDEA.vvc / T-WAT10.wav is missing

// Am actually debugging/recoding from scratch all mods, waiting for SKYFIRE :)
    Oh, interesting! I'll have to take a look at this in detail as I'm not sure if I wanted to use any of it in the future.
    Just for this:
    shadowlich wrote: »
    ACDT10.are door2 is never used/showed and AC#KEYNO.itm is missing
    Door02 is activated by a script block in ACDT10.bcs.
    AC#KEYNO.itm is my cheat key for all doors in all of my mods that cannot be opened by the player, but are opened by scripts.
    When testing, I cheat in the key so that I can pass through doors that can only be opened by a quest.
    shadowlich wrote: »
    Am actually debugging/recoding from scratch all mods, waiting for SKYFIRE :)
    Great! There will be a lot of work to do before then, as I'm about to release another large mod soon. B)
    Ok, for Door2 activated by bcs. NearInfinity does not detect this. I ll write a generalised unit test in Weidu for this activation trick !

Dont know if it's intentionnal so, hence u r here, FYI:

AC#DTLAC.cre / GHOUL1.itm is a phantom item, it is not assigned any item slot. Could raise fatal error for patching/tweaks/EEEx/lua later...
    Oh, that's good to know! Thank you very much!
    By the way, can u explain me this code from AC#DTDKN.bcs / line 68 / ForceSpell([PC],0)

I see it many many times in many many mods, and dont understand it.

ForceSpell([PC],0) force the spell with code_4 = 0 (code_4 = "1101" CLERIC_BLESS, SPPR101.spl from SPELL.ids for example)

BUT WHAT IS SPELL WITH code_4 = 0 ???????????

• SourSour Member Posts: 89
    edited May 5
    I just finished playing through this for the first time. The mod is a decent sized single quest that consists of two new maps with a handful of interior areas. The areas look like unique creations rather than a remix of existing maps. The art fits the look of the game nicely. This is pretty stand out work in this area and quest design was well paced and had a decent amount of depth without feeling too complex or simplistic.

The gameplay was good. There are some new enemies and the later parts of the mission have large mobs of enemies with a decent boss battle that was tanky and put up a good fight. I increase enemy HP alot and that made these large mobs of enemies much harder and time consuming. It probably took me 5 hours to beat this.

There are a handful of unique items that you will probably find useful in this pack. Only one item is OP in my opinion and the unique items that this mod brings to the game are satisfying to find and use.

Issues with the mod:

-I may have noticed a few alignment issues with the parts of the main map that change. For example, lighting the crystal at the top of the lighthouse. I could see a small purple rectangle surrounding the area that lights up. Pretty minor issue and I know how annoying it can be to make doors and other animatable objects look correct.

-The guardian that tells you he will meet you on the other side, he has some reply options where you can ask what he means by "meeting on the other side" or you can ask who he is but he doesn't reply and just keeps saying he will meet you on the other side. I couldn't tell if this was intentional or a bug.

-Isea Roenall showed up on the island and arrested Nalia which was fourth wall breaking and left my party in a pinch.

Overall I would give this mod a "B" rating. It's unique and challenging. It's not very large and has a few minor problems but overall it's fun to play and feels like a natural part of the game with high quality original creations. I'll probably install it on future installs. Thanks for sharing it with us, I enjoyed playing it.
    Post edited by Sour on
    edited May 10
    ACDT22.bcs has an issue, it uses SpellCastInnate([PC],4113)
    It should use SpellCastInnate([PC],4213) // 4213 is vanilla BG2EE code_4 for PALADIN_PROTECTION_FROM_EVIL

Or, if you are afraid that another mod changes its code_4, you can fix it after compiling ACDT22.baf :
    COPY_EXISTING "ACDT22.bcs" Override DECOMPILE_AND_PATCH BEGIN
    	SPRINT textToReplace ~\(SpellCastInnate(\[PC\],4113)\)~
    	COUNT_REGEXP_INSTANCES ~%textToReplace%~ num_matches
    	PATCH_IF num_matches > 0 BEGIN		
    		SET paladin_protection_from_evil_code_4 = IDS_OF_SYMBOL ("spell" "PALADIN_PROTECTION_FROM_EVIL")
    		PATCH_IF paladin_protection_from_evil_code_4 > 0 BEGIN
    			REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~%textToReplace%~ ~SpellCastInnate([PC],%paladin_protection_from_evil_code_4%)~ // Assign PALADIN_PROTECTION_FROM_EVIL if it exists
    		END ELSE BEGIN
    			REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~%textToReplace%~ ~NoAction()~ // MANDATORY, otherwise whatever existing SPCL113.spl is, that trigger will be true
    		END	
    	END
    END

Post edited by shadowlich on
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 887
    I'm just posting to say "thank you" for this mod!
    I recently played though it and very much enjoyed it.
    As a fan of the World of Greyhawk, I appreciated the lore and connection to an iconic element of that setting.
    B)
    @Sour : Thank you for your feedback! I'll fix the issues you mentioned in the next version and try to stop Isaea Roenal from continuing to stalk Nalia on distant islands.

@shadowlich : Good find, thank you, I will fix this in the next version!

@Thrasymachus : Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed the mod! I'm also a fan of Greyhawk and felt that this element deserved a brief appearance in the BG series.
    The mod updates to version 2.0

Changelog version 2.0
    • added Polish translation by Aristo; proofread by Roberciiik
    • added French translation by JohnBob and deratiseur
    • added Chinese translation by lzw104522773
    • added German version conform to Shai Hulud's textpatch by Shai Hulud
    • added graphical worldmap feature - worldmap icon by @Lava, thank you! *
    • re-formatted graphics using NI's new feature: No more lines at closed doors, better water rendering!
    • added FARAWAY areatype to prevent NPCs showing up on all areas of the remote island
    • corrected item descriptions for BG2EE
    • better description formatting of books and scrolls
    • slightly better lighting in the shadow area for better orientation
    • better searchmap in the shadow area
    • AC#DTSW2.itm now works properly
    • summoned water elementals are now controlled
    • Protection from poison scroll (AC#SCRL2): correct icon for quick item slot
    • Protection from poison scroll (AC#SCRL2): correct bam for oBG2
    • removed critical item flag for most books and scrolls
    • Thalass now takes the items presented to him
    • removed invalid string in ACDT41.are
    • revamped rest-encounters in ACDT30
    • changed AC#DTKY1 and AC#DTKY2 from misc to keys
    • AC#DT30N, AC#DT12N, AC#DT10N, AC#DT11N, AC#DTBK3 now are scrolls so they can be put into scroll cases and PCs can copy the text into their journal
    • splitted ACDT22.baf to oBG2 and BG2EE

* You need to start a new game to display the area on the worldmap - this is a purely aesthetic feature, the mod can also be played as usual without starting a new game.

Many thanks to all the dedicated translators and to everyone who contributed to this version of the mod!