Shadowkeeper Support

13»

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited September 2012
    Merged all the similar threads.
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    @Jedi_Gnome
    remember to put the custom CHARNAME portraits in the "portriats" folder like @Awong124 said
    and as for override folder is the one that existed from the start
    and if u do not know npcs' file names.. u can check with portriats mods, those do copy the file into override
    so you can know npcs' file names
  • Jedi_GnomeJedi_Gnome Member Posts: 92
    @Jalily
    @Awong124
    @junk11

Thanks, guys! That all sounds familiar now. So, then using an override folder for custom portraits for NPC's allows you to keep the original portraits in tact, correct? So, if I wanted to go back to the originals, I'd just remove the custom from the override, right?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
  • Jedi_GnomeJedi_Gnome Member Posts: 92
    @Jalily Again, thanks!
  • MikeMastersMikeMasters Member Posts: 141
    Is there a tutorial available for how to use NI to edit games? Ive always used shadowkeeper and a looking at NI it doesn't appear as simple
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited October 2012

Is there a tutorial available for how to use NI to edit games? Ive always used shadowkeeper and a looking at NI it doesn't appear as simple

I'm not sure if there is a tutorial. The difference between the two is Shadow Keeper is a save game editor and NearInfinity is a file browser and editor. It will depend on what you want to edit as to what files you need to find.

For example, if you want to edit how much EXP you can earn and increase the level cap to 50 (which is apparently hard coded) in BG2, you will want to edit the XPCAP.2DA and XPLEVEL.2DA files.

(This is only an example, I know there's probably people thinking, "who needs a level 50 character?! You're going against the D&D rules!")

The same result can be achieved using Shadow Keeper by just changing the level.

To be quite honest, though, I find using DLTCEP makes things much easier for editing most types of files. Files that can't be edited can be extracted and opened up in something else. Example: sound files can be extracted and opened up in Audacity or some other audio program. Personally, I would say DLTCEP is easier to use than NearInfinity.

Like I said, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to edit you party (adding certain items, changing the level or EXP, adding certain effects, etc), then use Shadow Keeper. If you want to modify something in the game (like weapons, spells, or armour) some way, use NI or DLTCEP.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I've never done a whole lot of work with NI, I've worked with DLTCEP a little, but I'm usually content downloading already made mods, to match your example, the "'Safe' XP Cap Remover for Throne of Bhaal by Kevin Dorner" is one I was a fan of. It kept the level cap at 40, but allowed experience to keep building, which is great for multi and dual classes, or any of the classes who previously couldn't reach level 40, I.E a mage.

ANYWAY! Back to the matter at hand here, Shadowkeeper.
    I've also always been a big fan of shadowkeeper, and completely agree that it should be updated to work with the enhanced edition. Maybe someone at beamdog can tweak it in their free time?

Nah, Who am I kidding? They don't have free time.
    Also, I've mentioned this in another post, but without much feedback. Would it be possible to adapt shadowkeeper (assuming it gets updated to support the enhanced edition) to run on tablets?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    There is no guarantee it will be updated at all - let alone then be ported to a tablet.

As far as I know no such thing was created for NWN or NWN2 which leads me to think BG:EE probably won't get one either.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited October 2012
    Even if it was ported to IPad it wouldn't be able to access BG files due to forced sandboxing of all Apps. It would require a jailbroken IPad. On an Android device it should work with no problems.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    sepotter
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Depending on how the iPad app works, it might be possible to edit the save files by taking them out via iTunes and editing them on a Mac or PC, then returning them. Similar to the way you can add documents to reader apps. It kinda depends on how the save files are stored. But yeah, a Shadowkeeper 'app' would not work.
    Well, here's to Android then.
    On another note entirely, would shadowkeeper (or enhancedkeeper, or whatever it would be called if it were adapted to bgee) be able to fix Khalid's morale? I really like Khalid, but admittedly it would be nice if he didn't have morale failure every time he saw an enemy.
  • misteridmisterid Member Posts: 39
    I emailed and asked Aaron. He has absolutely no plans, and does not intend to update the *Keepers for the new enhanced versions. I was very sad to hear this, because after playing through the game I like to mess around with my characters and the like. It is just another way to have fun for me.

Anyway, as mentioned before, he has released the source so somebody can update them. I would do so myself if I understood the languages well enough and what was going on in the packages etc.

Id
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Is it really cheating to 'fix' certain NPCs such as changing Nalia to a 5 swashbuckler / Mage, giving Imoen back a full legal amount of theif points for her 7 rogue levels, Making Anomen a 9 fighter / cleric, Changing Coran to an Elf Archer, changing monty into an assassin, and minsc into a berserker?
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    In a sense, yes.
    Personally I always play a game through at least once with no mods or anything, and then on future playthroughs I occasionally tweak the game a little, be it with installed mods, or save game editors (like shadowkeeper) or whatever, but the point is when I say I beat a game, it's not a stretch of the truth.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    It's outside the boundaries of BG:EE. Most likely, ShadowKeeper will be modified by its modders to work in BG:EE.