Skip to content

Limited edition boxed set: ideas and brainstorming

AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
This is a thread where to post your ideas for the limited edition boxed set. What would you like it to include? How should it be?

I'll start with a few ideas of mine:

- Big cardboard box. Having a physical copy of the game is a great thing, but it's not enough. That DVD-box in which ToB came is far from special or satisfying. Give us the good old feeling of purchasing a game in '90s, with the big cardboard box as with the first Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast! I still own the originals and they are so good.
- Cloth map. Trent has already been investigating the inclusion of a high quality print on fabric of the game's world map. That's awesome. Nothing better than a brand new, updated map by Nat Jones printed on cloth. The paper map I own, which was included (if memory serves) in TotSC, also had a close-up map of the city of Baldur's Gate behind it. It would be cool if the same could be done for BG:EE: have Nat draw Baldur's Gate his style and print it on the back of the world's map.
- Soundtrack CD. With Sam Hulik composing new tracks for the new contents, BG:EE should definitely come with a new and updated soundtrack CD. And while we're at it, please master it to audiophile standards! I have no idea how the mastering was on the original soundtrack CD as I do not own it, but please make it dynamic in the Loudness War's face! This is your chance to turn every Baldur's Gate fan into a full-blown, picky and grouchy audiophile ;-)
- BG lead statuettes. When the CE of Baldur's Gate II was released, it included a set of collectible cards. That's nice and all, but with there being no BG-themed playing card game in which to use them, they were pretty useless. The kind of bonus you look at once, then put away forever. I suggest including miniatures in the CE of BG:EE. One statuette per box, depicting one of the joinable NPCs or Sarevok. It would be randomized, so that people who bought more than a box could have different statuettes. They should be made of lead, detailed and colored, slightly bigger than the average Citadel or Ral Partha miniature.
- Signed concept art print. Another nice feature could be a high quality concept art print by Nat Jones (like those of Candlekeep and the Friendly Arm Inn that can be seen on baldursgate.com) hand-signed by the BG:EE crew. One print per box, randomized.

Other ideas?

Comments

• KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    An art book will be cool. I don't know how much concept art was actually created for BG though.

Other than that; a Sarevok LEGO minifig, although I might have mentioned it before...
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited June 2012
    You know what I'd really like? I make shields as a kind of a hobby and test them against weapons and arrows and such. I'd like a shield boss/umbo (those rounded domes of steel on round shields and early Norman kite shields) which looks like the symbol of Bhaal. The Baldur's Gate symbol is Bhaal's symbol right?

I tried making one myself but you can't hammer sheet steel like that. At my level domes are hard enough.

Failing that I would love a minature one, a little amulet of the Baldur's Gate Bhaal skull on the round disc with teardrops. That would be the most epic thing to ever have ever. About 4" diameter, so it's like a big amulet to wear on your mighty adventures slaying.

Also the soundtrack MUST INCLUDE EVERY SINGLE SONG from Baldur's Gate + TOTSC + Brand new songs.

About the minature lead figures. I don't think it should be randomized, that's not fun at all. I don't want to have to buy several copies to get all the statues. I vote every box has one single lead statue of Sarevok, about 6" high and fully detailed. There's not much reason in having statues of all the random NPC party members, the main characters are Gorion, Sarevok, Imeon and Nexlit.
    Eh, I'm not much interested in having a USB. If that's convenient for everybody I don't mind, but I'm still happy with a single DVD.

About the DVD though, the special edition shouldn't have one of those black & white printed labels on them. It should be one of those fancy coloured sparkly ones.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @AndreaColombo
    The more stuff the better :D
  • FranticFeyFranticFey Member Posts: 31
    The USB is nice in that it's easier to keep safe and in pristine condition just due to endurance; CD's are ever so fragile...

Someone mentioned they got a pewter ring in the NWN2 CE, that'd be cool. Something with Bhaal's symbol on it that could be displayed or worn would be a nice addition.

But of course, the soundtracks, any art they have available, maps and such.
    edited June 2012
    @FranticFey

That was me, I got the ring. I'd still rather have Bhaal's symbol as a big amulet if we're getting jewellery here. The problem with rings is not everybody's finger is the same size. The ring I got is too big for me. Plus I'm a man so rings aren't really my thing. I'd still wear it.
  • FranticFeyFranticFey Member Posts: 31
    @Ward

Ah, yes, that is the difficulty with worn commemorative trinkets. Perhaps sticking with a strictly display-only ring or amulet then.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    @FranticFey

That was me, I got the ring. I'd still rather have Bhaal's symbol as a big amulet if we're getting jewellery here. The problem with rings is not everybody's finger is the same size. The ring I got is too big for me. Plus I'm a man so rings aren't really my thing. I'd still wear it.
    pic please of the ring , if you still got it :)

edited June 2012
    @lordkim

If you want pictures I can take them but I'm tired so this'll be all you get for now. I apologize for the dude's hairy finger, best picture I could get from internets. Plus his looks rough and the blue paint is chipping off, not sure why though.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/200/516340626_dc94741946_z.jpg

There were three releases. A collector's edition in America, then Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil editions elsewhere. The American version came with both rings, the one in the picture is the LG ring (blue NWN eye on the front and Lawful Good on the back). My ring has a red NWN eye and Chaotic Evil written on the side.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    We just need a paper map. Not cloth though. My dogs ruined my Dragon Age collectors edition cloth map, never again. I still have the BG maps taped to my closet door.

We need a soundtrack. All songs, old and new.

We need actual physical CDs (or a dvd) that has its own special cd or dvd case.

We need it all to be in a big cardboard box, retro style yo.

We need one extra cool BG specific thing. Some BG minis (unfeasible), set of BG character cards (with their new stats/kits/portraits/biography), a making of BGEE DVD (with behind the scenes stuff), a voucher to be redeemed at a local pet store for One Miniature Giant Space Hamster, or something like that. Okay, maybe not a hamster pet, but how about a plush Boo?

We could reasonably want some bonus in game content (that of course will be available to everyone via mod within 24 hours of release like the BG2 merchants). An item shop, some extra portraits, something like that.
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    Sarevok bust that looks like stone was my idea. (Sort of like how it is shown at the end game) It need only be like 3.5 inches tall or so. Something like this?

http://www.insomniacmania.com/sites/default/files/news/1419/resize_1.jpg

Thought that would be cool, or a 6 inch figure of him standing with his hands resting on his sword. Sorta like this. http://www.wallpaperpimper.com/wallpaper/Art_&_3D/Fantasy/Frank-Frazetta-Death-Dealer-02-1-1024x768.jpg

I also liked the idea of a art work piece, preferably signed. That would be really special if only 500 copies are made or whatever.

I am not much of a fan of the USB... I would like perhaps a single Gold color disc with some nice cover art, like the BG gold edition.

Bhaal Medallion would be sweet.

Ideally, whatever bling comes in this box, I would like it to both capture the spirit of the BG games plus be something unique and not in the other boxed editions.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'm all for the LE/CE being "special" and memorable, but let's not cross the line into wasteful materials. Either a USB stick or a DVD - but if you're including the USB, the DVD is superfluous, and the only thing it does is add to the cost and carbon footprint of the game.

Any computer that has a DVD drive also has at least one USB port, and the USB port is going to be faster. A USB stick can be more easily customized, doesn't require the creation of a flimsy (read: easily breakable) jewel case, and is more likely to outlast the computer on which the game is installed. You can also fit more data (a LOT more data) on a USB stick than on a DVD, meaning that it could have things like digital art books, video and audio commentary, and plenty of other crunchy features that wouldn't fit on a DVD.

I'm a fan of almost everything else that's been said. Cloth map would be preferable, although a poster-sized poster would work fine as well. A cardboard box is much less likely to last a long time than a tin one, meaning that it's a better place to put your artbook/manual/figurine/USB stick when they're not in use.
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    @Aosaw Good points on USB. I have never gotten a game in this manner. Is their risk of wiping the contents like any other USB thumb drive? Or is it not accessibly in this manner? Also, cost of a USB that might need to be "unique" plus hold 12 gigs or so? (guesstimate)
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, there is one thing to take into consideration. A DVD is very likely to be a lot cheaper than an USB drive, but on the other hand, this would be a CE.
    Further research shows that even a pewter molded USB stick is fairly inexpensive; I found a 2GB USB stick that's made of pewter and shaped like a race car, and it's only around $12. So figure, you add around $8 to the cost of each unit. Maybe more, if it's custom-designed.
    Thought that would be cool, or a 6 inch figure of him standing with his hands resting on his sword. Sorta like this. http://www.wallpaperpimper.com/wallpaper/Art_&_3D/Fantasy/Frank-Frazetta-Death-Dealer-02-1-1024x768.jpg
    I'd prefer a pewter or similar figure of Sarevok. Not like a minature, not like an action figure, but a small statuette. The bust is a nice idea but it'd have to be much bigger to be a display piece and they can't package huge 20" metal busts.

I think a small statue of Sarevok is the best idea yet. I'm not interested in having statues of all the characters, it makes it less special.

Bhaal Medallion would be sweet.
    Hell yeah. All they need is 4" diameter rubber mould, they can send that off to a metalsmith's company and get back lots of medallions.

Of course the eyes would have to be red.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    I'd second a Bhaal medallion, I'd also perhaps like some nice authentic-looking scrolls with things like Gorion's note and Sarevok's diary on. Maybe even a little book with all the history lore you can find through the game, I'd love one of those.
  • ZerosevensevenzeroZerosevensevenzero Member Posts: 1
    The map is a must. It doesn't even have to be on cloth, as long as it's there.
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    edited June 2012
    well, i dont know if anyone will like this idea but anyway here it is, -Wizard of the coast are releasing some a new Miniature Warband brand based on D&D and forgotten realms, might be cool to have some NPC miniatures from Baldurs Gate with stats Cards in the collectors edition to use in this.

An artbook with original art + new art from Nat Jones.
    I don't like that idea - mostly because 4e is nothing like AD&D, and I don't play 4e, so I would never have a use for the stat cards.

NPC minis maybe, since they don't have to be edition-specific; but also remember that Wizards is currently working on 5e (D&DNext), so the 4e stats would be only temporarily useful.
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    Its a new brand, theyre not using any D&D rules that i know of from 4th edition.
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    well, i dont know if anyone will like this idea but anyway here it is, -Wizard of the coast are releasing some a new Miniature Warband brand based on D&D and forgotten realms, might be cool to have some NPC miniatures from Baldurs Gate with stats Cards in the collectors edition to use in this.

An artbook with original art + new art from Nat Jones.
    Miniatures is a good idea but i think characters are not for D&D 4ed

• lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    edited June 2012
    I know its BG 2 but look at this one guys & dolls :

• MajoritasMajoritas Member Posts: 16
    As to the DVD or USB stick, I'd say either DVD or both. DVD is classic, so while USB stick is much more practical, I'd rather have the game on good ole' DVD. It was said here already that the price difference doesn't really matter that much, and I agree on that.

The busts are awesome, but I don't really like this idea. Mainly because I don't think I'd use it somewhere, and it's not a small thing, so the CE's box would be much larger only because of this.

The miniatures, or figurines, would be cool thing to have. But I wouldn't make them only temporarily useful. Miniatures for D&D 4e or 5e could be good separate product for BG store, or something like that.

The Bhaal medallion would be sweet. Also, artbook, complete soundtrack and map are a must. But, noone's questioning that, right?

And what about a poster? Not sure about what would be on the poster, though. Ideas?
    I kind of imagined the map as a poster, personally...
  • MajoritasMajoritas Member Posts: 16
    @Aosaw , I thought it would be a cloth map, simillar to Dragon Age I's CE map. You can see it here: http://tinyurl.com/yjn3b3k