8. Ice Island
        4.69%
    9. Other
        3.76%
    10. I can't survive any of these!
        4.69%
Brude

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    The Chess Battle of Durlag's Tower *alone* beats any other dungeon for me personally. I might be weird, but I feel like that's the most epic battle in the game.

Unless if you solo it with potions and arrows. Pffft, who'd do that anyway >.< *totally denying he did it, word*
  • TuckerTucker Member Posts: 16
    I think Nashel Mines has to be my favorite because it was my 1st real step on the adventure, you get to actually make a difference for the 1st time and you get a small taste of what your getting tied up in it made me want to keep going and a couple of the challenges in there on my 1st run through where surprising.
    CaptRoryEnialusMeliamne
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    durlag's tower is awesome. it was just so difficult. one of the few dungeons i got adrenaline shakes from and the underlying story is amazing! plus 2handed sword +3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Durlag's Tower absolutely!!! Creepy dungeon with a lot of mystery and history, The best dungeon in all the series.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I gave up on the Nabassu - after dying how many times? Lost count. Anyway, I like Ulcaster the most, as it was the most interesting to me. Durlag's Tower is huge - which is why I didn't pick it. Barely remember Cloakwood Mines...

The best is under the Gnoll Stronghold! I'm certain that there is an opening somewhere... I keep looking! I want so badly to find it!

I know. There's nothing there. It's my silent (not so silent anymore) hope that something will be added to it, to add 'meat' to that area of the map and a good place for to return.
    [Deleted User]KirkorSwordsNotWords
    edited November 2012
    KirkorARKdeEREH
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Mash keel mines are cool,as they are the first real dungeon, and rather tough on a low level party.
    Anduin
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I knew everyone would be voting for it, but Durlag's Tower is freakin' beast. Huge, challenging, and a good solid plot behind it. The only section I don't enjoy is with all the Greater Ghouls and Crypt Crawlers, it seemed very repetitive.

So, Durlag's Tower, although Cloakwood Mines are cool, and Ulcaster is surprisingly good. Honestly, the only dungeon I don't like in BG1 is the Nashkel Mines. The rest are all pretty decent.
    Anduin
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I knew Durlag was gonna be tops...

But cloakwood is the only dungeon you can pull the the plug on :P
    CyricistMoomintrolllolien
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    In unmodded base BG1 - I don't like any dungeon in particular. That's because of broken pathfinding which made me constantly frustrated, instead of enjoying the dungeon. Without including this painful pathfinding, I could say that either Durlag's Tower or catacumbs under Candlekeep are my favourites.
    Brude
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited November 2012
    Tell me 'bout da raaaaaaaaaabits!
    Quartz
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    DJKajuru said:

Cloakwood mines is actually my favorite - around chapter 4 you start feeling like a badass who's destroying the iron throne's plans ;D

I didn't like the mines so much as the lead up through Cloakwood. Those were 3-4 areas that felt so deeply removed from the rest of the game that they became their own giant dungeon crawl. This culminated with the fight against Drassus, which was, for me, the most memorable fight in the game.
    DJKajuru
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560

In unmodded base BG1 - I don't like any dungeon in particular. That's because of broken pathfinding which made me constantly frustrated, instead of enjoying the dungeon. Without including this painful pathfinding, I could say that either Durlag's Tower or catacumbs under Candlekeep are my favourites.

Oh God. Even today I want to ask what the hell they were thinking.

"Hey we've designed a game with severe pathing issues, how should we tackle the level design?"

"I know! Let's create a series of dungeon crawls that have increasing narrow corridors and small rooms."

"Sounds good!"
    Oxford_GuyMiloch
    edited November 2012
    BrudeQuartzCaptRory
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    I have very fond memories of Cloakwood mines, I couldn't get through the dungeon on my very first playthrough of the game. After, like 15 tries of beating Hareishan on level 2, and dying every time to her lightning bolt I gave up, and created a new character. This was like 10 years ago, and I still remember that very moment of the game, but I like the dungeon despite that, and the Cloakwood areas are still my favourite in the game, and of course the fight with Drasus is the most awesome, as Brude mentioned earlier.
    Brude
  • JaanivJaaniv Member Posts: 17
    It's been so many years since I last played BG and I've blissfully forgotten many things so BGEE will be somewhat like a new game for me but Nashkel Mines is a place I remember and really liked.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Nice poll.
    My favourite is Durlag Tower. It's very long, but it doesn't bore you, like some big dungeons can.
    It has very grim story of the past, quite alot of different areas with different obstacles... And lots of great treasure!
    IMO the best dungeon out there.

The worst one (or most annoying) was Firewine ruins, as far as I can remember. Instantly respawning kobold veterans were annoing and labirynth with very small corridors was just driving me crazy (stupid team always was cluelessly wandering around, losing their track).
    Oxford_Guy
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645

The Chess Battle of Durlag's Tower *alone* beats any other dungeon for me personally. I might be weird, but I feel like that's the most epic battle in the game.

Unless if you solo it with potions and arrows. Pffft, who'd do that anyway >.< *totally denying he did it, word*

Huh, arrows and potions? You solo that battle with cloudkill + CCs :)

Its so laughably easy to do with a solo mage compared to a full group unfortunately.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Tuth said:

I have very fond memories of Cloakwood mines, I couldn't get through the dungeon on my very first playthrough of the game. After, like 15 tries of beating Hareishan on level 2, and dying every time to her lightning bolt I gave up, and created a new character. This was like 10 years ago, and I still remember that very moment of the game, but I like the dungeon despite that, and the Cloakwood areas are still my favourite in the game, and of course the fight with Drasus is the most awesome, as Brude mentioned earlier.

Yea its easily my second favorite to durlags tower, but other than the boss fights, I find trudging through all the levels of cloakwood and nashkel mines to be annoying.

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Hahahha yessss, that battle is AMAZING.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    Cloakwood mines... Best battle music in the whole game.
  • MarricMarric Member Posts: 53
    Cloakwood Mines - I've always like the Davaeorn battle, its tricky, different, and has some great loot. Then when you flood the mine, the little cinematic with the creaking lantern and lapping water is just perfect.
    DJKajuru
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Durlag's tower wins by a huge margin - It the best dungeon in any infinity engine game by far.

Remember that feeling of finally reaching the bottom floor with just slightly too much treasure for your party to comfortably carry, and so having to leave selected +1 weapons behind?
    Thats one of the main reasons I advocate not including bags of holding in bg1.
  • FishFish Member Posts: 38
    ajwz said:

Durlag's tower wins by a huge margin - It the best dungeon in any infinity engine game by far.

Remember that feeling of finally reaching the bottom floor with just slightly too much treasure for your party to comfortably carry, and so having to leave selected +1 weapons behind?
    Thats one of the main reasons I advocate not including bags of holding in bg1.

I've been playing through BG1 again in BGT and cleared Durlag's Tower yesterday. I'm rolling with a party of 3 and I had to make a trip to the surface to store my stuff (I use the "spider house" in Beregost) at least once a level.

I love the dungeon. The chessboard is killer and I like the compass room riddles that require you to actually understand the story behind the tower.
    Quartz
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Nashkel Mines for being my very first taste of "oh man shit is totes getting real we're getting into the MAIN QUEST now HELL YEAH!"
    That's where I really first started ROLEPLAYING on my first playthrough.
    ...Also it is where you find Xan, which means this is the dungeon in which I recruit my favorite character ever. Yes.

...Firewine Ruins are a close second just for being so deliciously and devilishly difficult.
    Oxford_Guy
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    I liked the Ice Island. So many mage battles and loot for the same class!

But of course, I would rather have 2 "Durlag's Tower" dungeons, considering they are huge and have a great backstory!
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Not much to say, none of the other dungeons are very developed in comparison. Watcher's Keep takes it even farther though.

I found that part somewhat disappointing. Seeing the chessboard made me think it would actually play like a game of chess and not a slaughterfest. Nowadays I tend to fireball-bomb it.

Alkalurops