Skip to content

3 Days till BG2:EE! What will you do on the day of release? (apart from stare at a download bar...)

Comments

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Bath salts is more fun, become a face eating zombie for real!
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    preload, poke around the files because my curiosity will get the better of me, finally decide on class and stats and drool over new portrait packs (go manley!).

when the game unlocks, tell my boyfriend to stay away, and to everybody else i'm sick. turn into creature of the night.

ah, i see it so clearly in my head... :)
    hmmm, pre load, copy files to BG1 installation, play early? :p
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Man I am feeling like more and more of a loser, hearing all of your plans. Here you all are, making plans to play it on the launch date, and I'm just going to sit and study for finals and wait two weeks for school to be over before buying and playing the game, so I don't distract myself.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

Man I am feeling like more and more of a loser, hearing all of your plans. Here you all are, making plans to play it on the launch date, and I'm just going to sit and study for finals and wait two weeks for school to be over before buying and playing the game, so I don't distract myself.

I'm in pretty much the same situation, except I've already pre-ordered, which will make it even harder to go those 2 weeks without firing up BGEE...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Good plan. I made the mistake of starting skyrim 6 days before I had a twenty page paper due. Needless to say it was painful to drag myself away from it in order to do work.
    @Elminster
    I started Skyrim a few weeks before finals last year. I am not going to make the same mistake again.
    edited November 2012
    Kristie83 said:

Quartz said:

Mungri said:

I think I know more about Americans than the average American knows about his or herself, while they also know nothing about anyone else.

Yes, your blatant stereotyping that all Americans know nothing about other countries sure proves you know so much about us.

*Cough* Fail.
    I now have a short, amusing story to tell.

Ok, so my Dad is currently working as a consultant in Indiana. He went to this restaurant to grab some supper. The waitress was friendly and chatting with my dad. It somehow came up in the conversation that my Dad lives in Canada. When she found this out, her eyes grew wide and she was like "Oh WOW, you're from Canada!? That must be really far away!" My Dad said that its about a 6 hour drive. Then she says, "Is Obama your president?" LOL!!! My Dad was polite but he did inform her that we are our own separate country.

*Disclaimer: I am in no way stereotyping Americans by the telling of this story. I know that not all Americans are even remotely this clueless. The above quote just reminded me of this story and I had to share it.*
    In the waitresses defence off the top of my head I would not know specifically where Indiana is :)
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

Quartz said:

Mungri said:

I think I know more about Americans than the average American knows about his or herself, while they also know nothing about anyone else.

Yes, your blatant stereotyping that all Americans know nothing about other countries sure proves you know so much about us.

*Cough* Fail.

Ok, so my Dad is currently working as a consultant in Indiana. He went to this restaurant to grab some supper. The waitress was friendly and chatting with my dad. It somehow came up in the conversation that my Dad lives in Canada. When she found this out, her eyes grew wide and she was like "Oh WOW, you're from Canada!? That must be really far away!" My Dad said that its about a 6 hour drive. Then she says, "Is Obama your president?" LOL!!! My Dad was polite but he did inform her that we are our own separate country.

*Disclaimer: I am in no way stereotyping Americans by the telling of this story. I know that not all Americans are even remotely this clueless. The above quote just reminded me of this story and I had to share it.*
    In the waitresses defence off the top of my head I would not know specifically where Indiana is :)
    Nor do I, but I do know where the United States are. I wouldn't expect someone who doesn't live in Canada to know exactly where Ontario is, but Canada is a pretty big country and I would assume that most know that it is a separate country from the USA and that it is located above the USA. Am I wrong?
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188

Heinrich said:

On Launch Day I will definitely put the $20.00 bill I have been saving in my room to good use for provisions if you know what I mean! ;)

Meth?

No, you silly boy! COKE! LOT'S AND LOT'S OF COKE! 8D

...I just hope I don't pass out on the sugar rush...
    edited November 2012
    Kristie83 said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

Quartz said:

Mungri said:

*Cough* Fail.

Nor do I, but I do know where the United States are. I wouldn't expect someone who doesn't live in Canada to know exactly where Ontario is, but Canada is a pretty big country and I would assume that most know that it is a separate country from the USA and that it is located above the USA. Am I wrong?
    Clearly you've never seen "talking to americans" :p

But yes she should know that the US sits below Canada since we are the second largest country on the planet.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    I may well break down and buy it for PC waiting for the App Store to do whatever it is they do. Things are busy, though, so we'll see.
    elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

elminster said:

Kristie83 said:

Quartz said:

Mungri said:

*Cough* Fail.

Clearly you've never seen "talking to americans" :p

But yes she should know that the US sits below Canada since we are the second largest country on the planet.
    No I hadn't, but I just watched a youtube clip of it. That was some funny shit! Our parliament building is made of ice and we're worried about global warming! LOL!
    Heinrich said:

Heinrich said:

On Launch Day I will definitely put the $20.00 bill I have been saving in my room to good use for provisions if you know what I mean! ;)

Meth?

No, you silly boy! COKE! LOT'S AND LOT'S OF COKE! 8D

...I just hope I don't pass out on the sugar rush...
    Was the double meaning there intentional?
    edited November 2012
    Quartz said:

Mungri said:

*Cough* Fail.
    My entire post was a joke. However American media and popular culture does your country no favors.

I know where America is on the world map, and also that Europe is a continent, not a country, and that Australia is neither France nor Korea.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Mungri said:

However American media and popular culture does your country no favors.

No freaking duh. You honestly think no Americans bitch about how bad and fickle our media is? Guess again.
  • Callmee_JohnCallmee_John Member Posts: 23
    I'll smoke some cubans like in my pic...
  • Hmmm, First to the hospital for a little check up (for real) If it's al ok go back to work (and click through this forum all afternoon. If its not ok, go home, roll a skald. Play and find out that nothing has changed in candlekeep...

Then roll a fighter/cleric and go to the black pitts.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Quartz said:

Mungri said:

*Cough* Fail.
    Haha, it may be a stereotype, but I don't think it's just the media. After several visits to the US, my general feeling was that expecting the average American to have the same geography knowledge as the average European was a mistake. Though it may be an unfair comparison, it's possible that Americans generally have a good grasp of their own continent, e.g. knowing which country is which in the area between Mexico and Colombia etc, where Europeans tend to be clueless.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    I would like to buy a new computer which is mainly for BG-EE , BG2-EE series 's all DLCs / Expansion Packs , and my wife and daughter can't touch it anymore ~~~
    Shin said:

Quartz said:

Mungri said:

*Cough* Fail.
    Haha, it may be a stereotype, but I don't think it's just the media. After several visits to the US, my general feeling was that expecting the average American to have the same geography knowledge as the average European was a mistake. Though it may be an unfair comparison, it's possible that Americans generally have a good grasp of their own continent, e.g. knowing which country is which in the area between Mexico and Colombia etc, where Europeans tend to be clueless.
    In all fairness, I have to admit that I never learned ANY American history or geography while in school. Consequently, I could only probably point out with accuracy, about 5 states, while I know where all the provinces and territories of Canada are. Anything I do know about the states has been learned through being interested in the topic. The states I know are the ones that are closest to Ontario, where I live. (Except I think I know where Texas is, Its the big one right?)
  • loganultimaloganultima Member Posts: 109
    edited November 2012
    Mention Romania to an american and they'll say something along the lines of: "Um...is that in South America?" or Africa.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

I may well break down and buy it for PC waiting for the App Store to do whatever it is they do. Things are busy, though, so we'll see.

That's what I did, will play BGEE on Win 7 under Bootcamp first, then shift to the native Mac version when it's released, I just hope save games are interchangeable. I don't mind paying twice if It helps support continued development of BGEE and BG2EE (and maybe IWDEE even...)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808

Mention Romania to an american and they'll say something along the lines of: "Um...is that in South America?" or Africa.

It'd sort of depend on the American that you asked. I do know where Romania is and a great number of other nations. I wouldn't ask if it is in South America or in Africa, nor would I ask if it is in Australia or Asia. Take your ignorant stereotypes somewhere else.
    I didn't mean for this to turn ugly. It was my (amusing) story that started us all down this slippery slope. It was a story about an individual, not about all Americans. I agree with @Oxford_Guy that this ignorance is caused by lack of education, (but not necessarily lack of wealth, I don't think you need to be university educated to know geographical locations.) So lets all get along here and not do anymore bashing.

BTW: Did you know that our brains automatically stereotype in order to create shortcuts to simplify conceptions about characteristics or expected behaviors in an identifiable group?
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    Feelings of being very unwelcome on these boards aside... I'm going to be working on release day unfortunately. However, I will have a snack ready for some power gaming! I haven't thought of a drink to pair up with the delicious chow... Perhaps a Blue Moon or fruit ale. My fiance will probably want to play it, but I won't let him touch my laptop, wahaha! He'll just have to get his own copy if he wants to play. I will just have to tease him without mercy! >:3
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited November 2012
    elminster said:

Mungri said:

elminster said:

Mungri said:

Oh oh oh, its thanksgiving! We we we, are gonna have a good time. With the turkey, yay! Mashed potatoes yay! .... December was Christmas, January was new year, April was Easter, then the 4th of July, and now its thanksgiving!

Oh oh oh, its thanksgiving. We we we are gonna have a good time!

Whats the fourth of July? :p also I watched that song and wow. I wish I could console myself with turkey, but unfortunately it seems I'll have to wait until Christmas for that.
    Independance day I think, I'm not American though.
    Yes it is just ignore me I'm poking fun at Americans here. "Canada Day" (my countries equivalent) is on July 1st, but I hear a lot about independence day leading up to it every year in the news.
    I don't even know what day 'Indepence Day' is for my country. I only know peace with the Spanish (among other peaces) was signed in 1648, but it was not the Holland we know today, but the Republic of the Seven Provinces, while today Holland has 12 provinces. Then there's been a time that we were part of France, after the rise of Napoleon, again getting independent in 1815 when Napoleon was finally defeated. And then there's 1836, when Belgium separated itself and only after peace with them did Holland get it's current borders. But it would be strange to call Belgian Indepence Day also 'Holland Indepence Day'. Hell, we miss the beers :-). Point is, it's far from clearcut, more a history of gradual formation, so "holland indepent" didn't give very convincing results on Google or Wikipedia either. Maybe we aren't indepent at all, but lackeys of the Independent USA? 0v0.

This discussion has been closed.