Skip to content

Pre-loading for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has begun!

Comments

• NemissaNemissa Member Posts: 73
    seems the torrent is downloading better and more reliable..maybe that's the way to go lol :)
  • Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    I already noted I got the download with the torrent. First time in my life I ever used a torrent -- used Google to find out about torrents and free torrent Apps (used uTorrent).

Thing is, I tried the Beamdog client first. I figured I could leave it on my machine for updates and stuff. In that case, they might eventually have sold me something else via Beamdog client. Too bad it did not work well for me. I think the Beamdog folks have missed a chance to lure new customers to their Beamdog client. But, I do appreciate that they provided options for us -- one of which worked for me -- keeps their reputation good with me.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Engel82 said:

So its finally downloaded (thank Bhaal!) and the status says preload complete. Is there anything else we can do ie install it before the 28th?

You can read the manual.
  • BiodiodeBiodiode Member Posts: 3
    Doing that right now, seeing what's changed and how much I remember from last time I played BG.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mOermOer Member Posts: 2
    How about localization?
  • cas206cas206 Member Posts: 7
    tilly said:

I couldn't figure out how to seed with the Beamdog-downloaded files and the torrent file.

The direct download didn't appear to have a seed option. The Beam Dog client had an option to turn on P2P (Turbo mode or something) use. It stated if P2P is turned on and you have the client running it will also seed. But, like you, I'm seeding using uTorrent instead. I see "BDOG" clients connected while seeding. So it appears uTorrent helps the Beamdog client users too.
  • PortwillsPortwills Member Posts: 10
    ive finished downloading it, now how can i play?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    mOer said:

How about localization?

@mOer

Overhaul hasn't provided any info about the status of the localizations yet.

@everyone

From what Trent mentioned on twitter and from other posts by PhillipDaigle, they're thinking about putting the rest of 500Mb out for download before the 28th.

• NemissaNemissa Member Posts: 73
    finally finished.
    uninstalling the BGEE stand alone patcher and reinstalling it,fixed it for me.
  • M6k3M6k3 Member Posts: 180
    @Tanthalas Dont see such post on twitter so form where you took this info ?:D or is this just a joke ?
    Thanks, for link :) wwwww i like it ;d
  • CameronToferCameronTofer Administrator, Developer Posts: 279
    shipwreck said:

I gave up downloading with the standalone, and I wasn't about to try it with Beamdog client. I used the torrent and downloaded it in 2 hours, versus the 15 hours I didn't download it with the standalone. I recommend to those having difficulty downloading it, use the torrent and save your sanity.

We have an update to the launcher coming today that should fix this up. Don't void your warranty !
  • MenthroMenthro Member Posts: 85
    @CameronTofer

Will we have to run through the beamdog client or the BG:EE launcher to get the update, or will you kind ladies and gentlemen release another torrent file for us as well?
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    I'm in the Uk, I've had a few problems over the past few days (hanging on checking download) and was downloading at about 20kb/sec on a 1mb connection.

After reinstalling the client and on P2P, it just downloaded in less than 1/2 an hour. Posted at 24/11/12, download started approx: 10:45pm.
  • KrypteiaKrypteia Member Posts: 50
    I had the same problems in the UK yesterday morning as well, but shutting down the program and restarting the computer solved it all ("have you tried turning it off and back on again?" actually worked). Took a bit longer here, I think it finished downloading between 1 and 2am, but I was running a lot of other internet connection reliant programs that evening, which could account for the extra time.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited November 2012
    I honestly don't get it. With the launcher, I had 1-10kbs for half an hour, p2p on. Then as expected speed went to 1MB/s and it completed in minutes. Client didnt work for me FYI (but i prefer the launcher anyway).

Hopefuly with the update everyone will get good download speeds, but to me it worked since day1, give it time to work and restart if it takes too long. Dont stop it if you are getting 1kb/s...
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Finally, my preload is complete, I was at 1-10 kbps for ages too, but also had 300+ for enough time to finally get it done.
  • ThorThor Member Posts: 10
    Like most others, I've had trouble over the first couple of days trying to download. Started off with the stand alone installer and the installer crashed twice. Was stuck on "Getting Download Info" after trying again.

Read all about what options I had thanks to the good people in this thread.

Decided to uninstall + tried reinstalling only to get the same again, the installer crashing + the "Getting Download Info" error again.

After all that I moved on to the 0766 torrent using Vuze to download. It took me 42 mins with speeds averaging between 500 - 800 KBs.

Moved all the files to my installation folder and with much trial + error worked out how to get the installer to "check the files". Once checking was complete so was the preload installer.

I found out the hard way that uninstalling was not necessary. If you get stuck on "Getting Download Info" or the installer crashes, all you need to do is delete the 0766.beam and 0766.status files. Of course half my troubles were from Beamdog logging me out from their website so often. Probably a session time out thing.

Hopefully the extra server and the updated installer, combined with the knowledge of preloading we have all gained will have things running smooth for the final release.

@TrentOster @PhillipDaigle
    Overall, I think Trent and the team have done a brilliant job and should be commended. Phillip, you deserve some sort of award for your efforts over the past couple of days.
  • RogueJKRogueJK Member Posts: 10
    Blixx said:

Please make sure to have ports 56274 and 52138 TCP/UDP open. Otherwise the P2P client will not connect to the tracker and your download speed will be very slow. I'd wish for a setting in future BeamDog clients to adjust the port settings.

When I first tried to preload, I was crawling along at between 100 bytes/sec and 1 kb/sec. It chugged along for over 12 hours, and only had ~200 megs downloaded. I then read Blixx's tip about opening those two specific ports. After 30 seconds of fiddling with my router settings and forwarding those two ports, I was blazing along at 1 meg/sec, and had the remaining 1.1 gigs downloaded within 20 minutes.

So thanks for Blixx for the heads-up, and thanks to the Beamdog/Overhaul teams for working so dilligently on the preload process.
  • CameronToferCameronTofer Administrator, Developer Posts: 279
    RogueJK said:

Blixx said:

Please make sure to have ports 56274 and 52138 TCP/UDP open. Otherwise the P2P client will not connect to the tracker and your download speed will be very slow. I'd wish for a setting in future BeamDog clients to adjust the port settings.

When I first tried to preload, I was crawling along at between 100 bytes/sec and 1 kb/sec. It chugged along for over 12 hours, and only had ~200 megs downloaded. I then read Blixx's tip about opening those two specific ports. After 30 seconds of fiddling with my router settings and forwarding those two ports, I was blazing along at 1 meg/sec, and had the remaining 1.1 gigs downloaded within 20 minutes.

So thanks for Blixx for the heads-up, and thanks to the Beamdog/Overhaul teams for working so dilligently on the preload process.
    The update to the client did exactly that. It opened up the ports, no need to do it by hand now.
  • TazokTazok Member Posts: 34
    asked this question in the old thread which probably wasnt a good idea so ill ask it here too: I started with the standalone installer. Was downloading at speeds of 8 B/S.(Yes, B/S) So, switched to the beamdog client and knoked it out. So how do I remove the part that is downloaded and the standalone downloader from my pc without breaking something important?
  • There's only one problem

"Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition launches November 28th"

And it's the 24th...
    lol

shipwreck said:

I gave up downloading with the standalone, and I wasn't about to try it with Beamdog client. I used the torrent and downloaded it in 2 hours, versus the 15 hours I didn't download it with the standalone. I recommend to those having difficulty downloading it, use the torrent and save your sanity.

We have an update to the launcher coming today that should fix this up. Don't void your warranty !
    And this is what i expect ! thanks
  • ThorThor Member Posts: 10
    @Tazok

I am assuming you have started preloading, but want to use the latest version of the standalone installer to download faster?

If yes.... delete the installer you have and download the latest version of the standalone installer here. Before you use the new installer you will need to delete the 0766.beam and 0766.status files from the Data folder wherever you have BG:EE installed. Also don't forget to be logged into Beamdog before running the updated installer again.
  • KurakaiKurakai Member Posts: 18
    Having preordered ages ago I only just got round to creating an account here but thank you for the update.

I tried pre-loading using Beamdog and the standalone. Both were pretty unsuccessful although I had gotten further with the standalone. This morning I tried Beamdog client and within the last 10 minutes it has pretty much downloaded 900MB worth. Thank you for the Beamdog update!