Skip to content

Removal of Some In-game Videos (Beregost, Gnoll Stronghold, etc.)

Comments

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    I'm also disappointed by the disappearance of some of the old movies and the fact that the new ones are not complete (friendly arm in cut, bandit camp with no slapping of the human's head by the gnoll), but though, It won't prevent me from playing that game.

That said, it would be nice if all the videos could be redone, or let the possibility to watch the old videos at our leisure.
    Adul
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002

That said, it would be nice if all the videos could be redone, or let the possibility to watch the old videos at our leisure.

Mods to the rescue!
    Moomintroll
    Adul said:

Mods to the rescue!
    Yet, this does not mean that it is a modder's responsability.

The dev team should update their work to implement these features.

• alkaiseralkaiser Member Posts: 29
    edited November 2012
    Kharador said:
    I don't think it is bad, but I very much prefer the original.
    But this one is interest too, it has some "comic book" style and it's well drawn. I didn't like the close on the eye, but other than that, the video is fine.

So,
    yeah, I guess. Me. :D
    Moomintrolllolien
  • TyrielTyriel Member Posts: 20
    I never really cared about movies. I mean they are cool but i play games to play games not to watch movie clips so spend you time and energy improving the game not making shiny movie clips :)
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002

Yet, this does not mean that it is a modder's responsability.

The dev team should update their work to implement these features.

No argument there.

As for the above video, I haven't seen it yet and I'll pass for now - I want to watch it for the very first time in 6 hours. ;)
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I hate the lack of character movement in the videos, ruins them completely for me.
    mibbles
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    alkaiser said:

Kharador said:
    But this one is interest too, it has some "comic book" style and it's well drawn. I didn't like the close on the eye, but other than that, the video is fine.

So,
    WHAT?!
    Why the heck did they replace that vid? I was good enough, now it's kinda worse, it just doesn't make sense to replace a fully animated 3D vid with some drawn choppy vid, what was they thinking?

• alkaiseralkaiser Member Posts: 29
    edited November 2012
    HexHammer said:

alkaiser said:

Kharador said:

So,
    WHAT?!
    Why the heck did they replace that vid? I was good enough, now it's kinda worse, it just doesn't make sense to replace a fully animated 3D vid with some drawn choppy vid, what was they thinking?

I said that I prefer the original too, btw. But I don't think this one is bad.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I'm so pleased about this whole project that I'm dead on the side of being relentlessly positive; but I would rather they had just kept the original videos and spent the resources on something else.

You can see how ambitious the original cinematic's were and that carries across today, in their favour. The new ones may be higher resolution, quality, whatever, but they don't meet up to the standard of the originals which is a shame. Saying that, I have seen people on here say "the originals look really bad, get rid of them." And I wouldn't want new gamers being put off by things they saw as "bad."

All that said, will the videos affect my enjoyment of the game? No.
    Will I get used to them? Yes.
    alkaiser
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    edited November 2012
    You have to keep in mind that there are people who've actually never played BG before or never finished it so it's natural for them (me included) to be disappointed at having any part of the original experience cut no matter how insignificant someone thinks it is.

And before someone suggests it, no I don't want to see the original vids on youtube, I want to see them within the game context at the appropriate time and, no, I don't care how bad they look or how silly they are.

I'm sure the vids looked fine on 4:3 monitors when the game was released and there's no reason why they should suddenly be crap now. Widescreen and larger monitors in general could simply have black borders, no need to upscale.

This definitely isn't what comes to mind when I think of "enhancing".

Hopefully, the old ones can at least be added/modded in as they are.
    KamigoroshiMoomintrollAdul
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    I already made a Feature Request about that with a new idea: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7199/please-make-old-movies-available-again#latest
    Jean_Luc
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    Drugar said:

As long as they haven't removed the intro/outro, I am not too broken about it. Some clips are nice (Nashkel, Cloakwood, The Friendly Arm Inn (mostly due to the music)) but the only must-haves to me were the intro and the outro of the game, those were pure awesome.

The intro is the single best movie clip ever except perhaps "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius..." I don't care about the graphical quality, but that clip is just pure unadulterated awesome. I very much agree with you sir :) In fact I may have to go watch it a few times now.
    Drugar
    The problem is, that they said, they will make ALL movies new, but they didn't. (I don't liked the original idea neither.) Then they said that they are preserving the old content. This is not true, they cut out many things. Besides of the old movies if you check the Fixed bugs topics, you will find that many things they had to cut out (items, like a buggy mirror, door in Durlag's Tower - instead of repairing them as they promised before). I read about a new movie that is even buggy: bad sound cutting at the end. So there are two reasons in contradiction. (Not making some things new, because we don't change original content and We make changes on old things, because we make new things.)
    HexHammer
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    I REALLY like the new intro :) The detail with the book in the beginning, great! The comic book style: Great! Both fits (in my humble oppinion) perfect to the style, that playing BG is very much like reading a great story. The story carry the reader/player through a great adventure. Like pages in a book does not reveal exact pictures of the events and persons, so functions the isometric view. Much is left to the players imagination, making the entire story more personal for the reader/player.
    mch202alkaiserMoomintroll
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Cactus said:

I REALLY like the new intro :) The detail with the book in the beginning, great! The comic book style: Great! Both fits (in my humble oppinion) perfect to the style, that playing BG is very much like reading a great story. The story carry the reader/player through a great adventure. Like pages in a book does not reveal exact pictures of the events and persons, so functions the isometric view. Much is left to the players imagination, making the entire story more personal for the reader/player.

I 100% agree, The book animation fits perfectly to a game such as Baldur's Gate.

Moomintrollalkaisermibbles
    The Wyvern catching the cow was there for a Quest available in the game... I am sad about this cutting out decision. And the new music cuttings are bad too some places.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    Kharador said:
    Hmm I like it, but not as much as the original. I don't think I would ever go and watch that one like I do the old one. It's pretty cool for the stills though. I'd quite happily make some images from that my desktop background or something.
    alkaisermibbleslolien
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Kudos to everyone supporting the new videos, you are creating the vibe we need :D
    alkaiserlolien
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Why did they cut out lines of dialog in the intro?
    It was quite essential.
    "There are others... I can show you them..." or something along these lines.
    Yes, the art direction of the new cutscenes is 100% good, but too bad for the missing cinematics and unaestethical music cuts ...
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    I'm disappointed.
    The new cinematics are well drawn but unfinished. You really can feel that there wasn't enough time/money to add better animations. Sometimes the music feels cut off.
    For the same aforementioned reason, the missing scenes weren't probably added.
    The cutscenes really added to the overall atmosphere (though the originals should have benn skippable for someone replaying the game, I hope this'll hold true for the new ones).
    All in all it's not really bad but definitely not 'enhanced edition' worthy!

Nevertheless I'm looking forward to play BG:EE in a few hours, at least I like the other new features for the most part ;)
    HexHammerGloomfrostmibbles
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    My first reaction was that I felt a bit cheated by their comparative simplicity (the lower resolution of the original movies notwithstanding). But I'm gaining a feeling that these are going to grow on me, much as the look of the new UI has. There initial disappointment gave way to liking, and it may well here too.

I will give the new cinematics some time. There is something actually kind of cool about the graphic novel style. Despite a few rough edges here and there, and there being not enough of them included in the game thus far, I think I will probably grow to appreciate them as part of this new experience. Time will tell.
    alkaiserlolien
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    mallz said:

@Jalily really? maybe my keyboard and mouse died for a couple seconds each time. I could never skip them to my memory. It has been at least 3 years since my last play through...

You can skip them after the first watch as @Adul said, at least in BGEE.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    Well, I miss the resting video in the inns. When I first pressed the button I wasn't sure it did anything at all.
    Adulmibbles
  • norolimnorolim Member Posts: 62
    This is too many. One or to I would understand, but they cut half of the videos. And the fact that there are no Sunset and Sunrise videos is a sad joke. Those two videos gave tha game a special flavor. Are you actually trying to ruin the game for us, Overhaul? Lazy!
    GloomfrostJason_Silverain
    Ah, and the new ones are even buggy. Intro: the most important phrase is not there: "There are others...". :(
    Please help me (Us) in this Feature request: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7199/please-make-old-movies-available-again#latest
    Thanks.
    Jason_Silverain
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Whom ever made the decision to cut the vids by 50% needs to be pilloried. ;p
    Jason_Silverain
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I can understand them cutting some videos because they didn't meet a quality standard, but it makes you wonder how bad they must have been considering the state of some of the videos they left in. I'm surprised the Bandit Camp video made it in, it's not really animated and it looks like one of the Gnoll's sword blade isn't attached to anything.

While the videos have a nice art style (to me), they're terribly animated and look pretty cheap because of it. Plus the intro feels as though it's half as short as the original.
    mibblesJason_Silverain