Skip to content

*IMPORTANT* Regarding Intel Hardware! Driver issues, slow game performance

Comments

• AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    edited November 2012
    Is this what others are seeing?

• topymacijietopymacijie Member Posts: 30
    Thanks to those with the windowed advice; Alt+Enter worked nicely.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    "You have signed out of BeamDog Player. Please sign in and try out"

Is someone having this issue while trying to install the game? How does i solve this? i try to install the game with the client open AND loged in the Beamdog site and yet i have this issue.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @Corvus_Metus and everyone else, yes - believe me when I say it's disappointing for us as well. That's why, I hope, you can see that we're committed to fixing this.

If the only answer is to provide a directX rendering path, then so be it, that might be what we'll do.
    Oxford_GuyRazorJamesMoira
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Forget my previous issue, i just had to start the game from the beamdog client, just that :)!
  • vibrantcathodevibrantcathode Member Posts: 6
    This sucks because I am a complete computer n00b, so messing with files would probably end up in me somehow accidentally deleting system32 or something.

BGEE lags so hard. I have Intel HD Graphics Family, NVIDIA GeForce GT540M. I have no idea if that's the graphics card, but I'm assuming it is since it's under "display adapters". I will be very sad if this lagging issue can't be fixed with the graphics card that I have. Very sad. So sad that I might cry. Do you want me to cry, BGEE team?

If there is any way that I can make it lag less or not at all, I would love to know, because that would not make me cry -- it would make me incredibly happy, and I would spend hours in front of the computer, chomping down crackers with Nutella and a nice glass of milk while pwning kobolds. That is my dream. Please help me achieve this dream. Halp!
    Tieoken
    edited November 2012
    Hi everyone, sorry for the change-up - I was running the by one of our senior developers and he indicated to me that the change I prescribed in the .ini file was from old code. So, basically, the thing I've been having you try to insert hasn't been doing anything.

HERE is the correct information - and apologies for any confusion... this was my fault here, and the change they made was recent enough I missed the memo, apparently:

In your baldur.ini file, located in your My Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder, modify the part after INSERT INTO options ROWS ( to reflect the following:
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '0',
    Please try that, and let me know if it makes a difference for you.

By default, the game tries to run OpenGL version 2, and if it can't it falls back to version 1. If that isn't working properly when it should due to some of the Intel cards misrepresenting what they can do, this might be the cause of some of the problems here.
    zerael
    @vibrantcathode if you have intel AND nvidia in the same system, please check out the following post: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7491
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited November 2012
    These are sad news indeed. So most of the laptops running intel graphic cards wont run bgee well?
    Any chance of a directx port? lol usualy its the opposite :p
    nvidia 8000 series (old) seems to be working fine btw.
    HertzP6345uk
  • milhouse14milhouse14 Member Posts: 8
    @nathan
    Nathan said:

INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '0',
    Please try that, and let me know if it makes a difference for you.
    Nope, same severe lag here. Windows 7 running Intel GMA 4500MHD
    P6345uk
  • sorcerer_57sorcerer_57 Member Posts: 16
    Severe lag here on windows seven...also a broken heart...
    P6345ukTieoken
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Vynee said:

So do we get to refund the game since it doesn't work properly?
    At least until the problem no longer exists.

Seeing as how on the Beamdog website, under System Requirements, it says "OpenGL 2.0 compatible (Intel graphics chipsets are NOT supported)", I'm guessing the answer is no. If you buy a game without meeting the system requirements (or not even checking them), it's not the publisher's responsibility if the game doesn't work properly. I'm saying this as someone with an intel chipset who may very well be unable to properly play BG:EE.
    Vynee
  • HoboJoe0858HoboJoe0858 Member Posts: 36
    Same severe lag as well. Running Win Vista with Intel 965 Express Chipset Family
    A directX port or something would be great, as long as I can play this game.
    Nathan said:

@vibrantcathode if you have intel AND nvidia in the same system, please check out the following post: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7491

Well it says the issue is black-/white-screening, which isn't an issue at all, but it's the lag thing that's the issue. Also the "run with accelerated graphics" has already been selected for other games. I'll try the .ini file thing and report back!

• edmassonedmasson Member Posts: 2
    Lots of lag on my laptop. Unplayable at the moment. I have an HP Probook 4530s, and I'm not sure which of these are relevant, but according to the hardware properties, I have a 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) processor family, Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family. The processors are Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @2.10GHz.

Hope this helps.
    I just tried altering my baldur.ini file, to no avail, still ridiculous lag.
  • edmassonedmasson Member Posts: 2
    Oh yeah, I just commented a few minutes ago. Thought I'd add that changing the .ini file didn't make any difference for me.
  • Corvus_MetusCorvus_Metus Member Posts: 19
    Windowing works for me, graphically. Thanks!
  • Boston1112Boston1112 Member Posts: 19

I just tried altering my baldur.ini file, to no avail, still ridiculous lag.

Same situation. Ironically, I actually posted in these forums back in September asking about this issue: by and large, the community consensus was that it wouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately, while my Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family could handle IWD2 and the BGT Trilogy, it can't seem to handle BG EE.

Like Nathan said, this really sucks: I don't have the money to buy myself a newer laptop, so it seems that I'm stuck not getting the chance to play BG EE.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited November 2012
    I think I get it now, the small hickups I get with my nvidia must be a minor form of the lag you guys with intel cards are experiencing. Still mine is quite playable, Iam guessing intel processor inst the problem, integrated graph card is.
    If I may add just my opinion, Iam not defending directx but I've always feared that orienting software too much for apple devices could ultimately mean for windows users, which are majority I think, "problems". Please dont look at my opinion as negative. I support you guys.
    While the game looks good graphically, no bugs/errors atleast for me, it plays like a sleepy hut ie really slow.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    AHF said:

Is this what others are seeing?

Anyone else seeing this? I am not sure if I should be trying the ini file to resolve. Movies and character creation looked great.
    Have any of you tried the community drivers posted in the main thread? Do any of those fix the issues for you guys?
    Has anyone attempted any of the modded drivers?
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    I had flickering issue with my Invidia card.
    All you need to do is to run invidia options and turn everything OFF (antialiasing etc.) for BG:EE
    It worked for me.

I may create a in-depth guide to how to do this, but tommorow, when I get a sleep :)
    selmarus
    Okay, I tried the .ini file thing, and... still lots of lag. I was afraid of it black-screening there for a minute, but all was well and it still started up fine. I changed the NVIDIA settings, lots of lag still. In that order. D:
    I haven't tried the community drivers yet and I might not as I don't really want to take the chance of my laptop messing up in some way.
  • milhouse14milhouse14 Member Posts: 8

I haven't tried the community drivers yet and I might not as I don't really want to take the chance of my laptop messing up in some way.

I did..they didn't help in my case.

• VamphuntrVamphuntr Member Posts: 7
    Razor said:

These are sad news indeed. So most of the laptops running intel graphic cards wont run bgee well?
    Any chance of a directx port? lol usualy its the opposite :p
    nvidia 8000 series (old) seems to be working fine btw.

I'm on a laptop using an Intel HD graphic chipset and the game is running fine now...

I just tried the modded drivers...to no avail...again...what a huge let down.