Skip to content

*REGARDING Slow downloads, stuck in pre-loading, etc.*

NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
Hi everyone,

First: you're all awesome for sticking it out, and thank you so very much for your support and demand. That means a lot to us - a pretty small company, despite the big names involved in this project - that the work we've done has been (in general) so well received.

Second: A sincere apology from us to you that this day did not go as smoothly as we would have liked. We could not possibly have guessed that the demand would outstrip our resources as far as it did. Vanilla had to migrate our forums to a beefier server simply because of the major demand you put on them. Needless to say, our distribution servers are still picking up the pieces as best they can.

----

How did this happen?
The same way it happened to Valve when Steam first came out, Blizzard when releasing their more recent titles (Diablo 3, Starcraft 2). We did the math, we prepared as best we could - it wasn't enough. For this, we apologize. At 12:57 MST, all our servers blew up and it took about an hour and change to wrestle everything back under control.

I'm still stuck in pre-loading / my download is absolutely crawling. What's going on?
If you're still stuck in pre-loading or your download is very slow, there's a few possibilities. The first is to restart your client to make sure you're getting the most recent server information. You only should need to do this once. If it's still crawling, is using P2P enabled? If so, are you behind a router or firewall that may be limiting it? You need to forward port 52138 and 56274 to your computer. You can check http://www.portforward.com/ if you're not sure how to go about doing this.

edit: NOTE: when you visit their website, they're trying to sell you a product for $30 called PF Config or something. That's up to you as to whether or not you want to purchase it, but it is NOT necessary to get the information about how to forward ports on your router. Just close the window and continue on your merry way.

Will this happen again?
I can't predict the future, but I can tell you that we're certainly going to take the lessons we've learned forward with regards to this, and prepare a proportionate amount of hosting ahead of time.

I'm still SUPER unhappy!
Please e-mail support@beamdog.com if you'd like to discuss the situation with us directly. Posting about it here on the forum doesn't help anything, and I'll be closing those threads if I see them with a simple request to e-mail us so we can talk it out.

----

So, thank you thank you thank you,

and we're very very sorry.

If you're having other problems with the game after having downloaded it, please visit the Windows PC Support Forum where you can check to see if someone else has found a solution/where I'll be trying my best to help people out.
Post edited by Nathan on
ajwznulspaceDeeJalilyrdarkenFlashburnShYarivDragonspeardeltagoRavelselmarusNicklasBenRasmussenSyntia13ginger_hammerMedullaOblongataMarkosEleutherosBaldursCatPhoenixDownDragonserpentRuseServiusTheBearChippy

Comments

• HabadelromeHabadelrome Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2012
    I don't know much about anything when it comes to this, however I can understand that it might be very hard to predict how rough something like this will be on the servers.

I'm just grateful that you guys really did this, and if I have to wait another day or so, I'm not going to cry myself to sleep.

Good job!
    BjjorickMedullaOblongataJim
  • Is anyone else just stuck in the "Connecting" phase? I've never had problems with the downloader before, and it was even working earlier today. No such luck now.
    masterdesbaxter
  • GypsySocksGypsySocks Member Posts: 40
    I would connect P2P, but that option is totally grey'ed out! :( I love you guys for the game btw!
  • ArtificiaryArtificiary Member Posts: 1
    Glad I read this thread. Forwarding the ports moved me from ~ 45K/s to 1.5M/s. Will be done any minute now!
    DeeSullaMedullaOblongatadiggerb
    Man...I got the game downloaded on BeamDog, but when I press play, nothing happens. I uninstalled the stand alone version, but still it does not work. I'm due to deploy in Afghanistan in 72 hours... I need to play this game before I go, as I do not wish to wait another 6 moths. :(*
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @GypsySocks What video card is present in your machine? Are your drivers up to date from the manufacturer's website? Try that, first, and see what happens. Some others have had luck setting the compatibility mode to Vista SP1 or something, I think as well.
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    Had to use the Windows Vista compatibility mode to make it run too on "Baldur.exe" in the data folder.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I left computer all night to download... Slowness just means everyone else wants to play this awesome game no biggie... However after 10 hours of downloading, I needed to go to work and disconnect the computer before shutting down the wifi... Pressing the download bar paused it for two seconds... THEN CHANGED into a play button... Could I have done this earlier? Don't know... Is this a bug? Don't know...

Click your download bar people... Especially if you see a reading of 1 b/s... Like I did for most of the night...
    @Nathan I use a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670. I have no idea what this means though

• BladeSingerBladeSinger Member Posts: 1
    Used the torrent but beamdog client does not update the download status, even tough the download is already complete.
  • KhosannKhosann Member Posts: 4
    Listen I sent an e-mail to support@beamdog.com.

This is the answer I got:

We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (support) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:

* You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.
    * The owner of the group may have removed this group.
    * You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.
    * This group may not be open to posting.

If you have questions related to this or any other Google Group, visit the Help Center at http://support.google.com/a/beamdog.com/bin/topic.py?hl=en-US&topic=25838.

Thanks,

beamdog.com admins

When I go to that web link, Google says there is no group named beamdog. Where can I send my support request mail?
  • KhosannKhosann Member Posts: 4
    This is my problem:

I downloaded and preloaded BGEE through its own installer. Yesterday,
    after the game released I run my installer. It still said preload
    complete. When I clicked on the bar "preload complete" it said
    checking files. Then the installer crashed (before completing the
    checking files step). From then on the installer crashes every time I
    run it. It never completes the checking files procedure.

My OS is Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium.

Maybe your servers crashed because of high demand and when the
    installer tries to connect your servers to activate BGEE it crashes I
    do not know. Currently the game is preloaded but I can't activate and
    play the game I purchased.

I would like your help.
  • gabilturghgabilturgh Member Posts: 25
    I still can't play the game! I unstalled it, downloaded the client again and redownloaded the game (really fast now, good job!), but i still am stuck with the preload complete! Can't click no where! What can I do?
    Callmee_John
  • Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    edited November 2012
    Click on Preload Complete!!! I did NOT know I had to click on Preload complete. After trying a dozen times over 5 hours and only getting "Preload Complete", I clicked everythhing -- finally hit it.

There should have been a large button saying, in effect, "click here to finish".

P.S. Don't ever say "No YOU suck" -- even in jest -- VERY poor form. The FIRST thing I've seen/experienced truly negative about the product or experience. The rest was "expected" -- so to speak.
    Jozrael
  • BaggerBagger Member Posts: 144
    edited November 2012
    ... Well I'm stucked .... Not in preload ... But right before the game starts : http://m1341.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Bagger92/Nothingworks.png.html?o=0

I can't see the introduction video either ... I'm clueless atm... So I need some advice ...
  • CountCrowleyCountCrowley Member Posts: 2
    hey all,

same problem as some of you guys, after launching baldur.exe (from data folder) nothing happens.
    I tried changing compability modes, run as admin, etc. no luck.

I even re-downloaded the game, still nothing.
    drivers are up to date. I have ATI mobility Radeon 5870

help! :(
    I also got a radeon, just a HD 6870 ... A coincidence =0 ? ... I also got windows 8 if that has to do with anything?
  • spikeguy86spikeguy86 Member Posts: 14
    I'm having an issue. The game starts fine. Then after the movie plays the screen starts flashing. I can click buttons and play the game, but I can't really see anything. It look like the previous screen is blinking on and off on top of my current screen. Is this a graphics issue or a bug?
  • gabilturghgabilturgh Member Posts: 25

hey all,

same problem as some of you guys, after launching baldur.exe (from data folder) nothing happens.
    I tried changing compability modes, run as admin, etc. no luck.

I even re-downloaded the game, still nothing.
    drivers are up to date. I have ATI mobility Radeon 5870

help! :(

Same here, I re-everything (download, install,...) tryed compatibility, running as adm. running with iTunes on, moving the game to other folder and anything people said would work and nothing!
    I have NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
    I've aldo reinstalled the game, and nothing has changed ... However, I got the new Windows 8, can that be a problem ?
  • Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    I have AMD Radeon HD7970 and Windows 8 Professional 64bit.

BGEE has worked fine and its enjoyable -- zero issues once I got the final piece downloaded.
    Wired ... Wth had gone wrong ... =( ...
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    Yesterday I tried both ways: I downloaded it with the BG:EE downloader (from 00:30 - to 00:41 CET), but the other way for my wife was just failing and freezing with BeamDog Client. Now we try it again, but the BeamDog Client is much worse - if it is till possible - it is freezing on the very beginning now: it is not even showing the Game, only the grey background and freezing. I don't understand why BeamDog released such a crap downloader at all.... :(:(:( Should we delete everything, and start again with the BG:EE direct downloader? Or is it just again a heavy load on the servers and it is still a pain to download the full 1,8 GB again? I am very disappointed with this "Enhanced Edition", and if we can't make it work today (play a multiplayer game together without Hamachi, etc.), then we will ask for a payback. Thanks for the understanding.
  • mikehhhhmikehhhh Member Posts: 7
    Last night was frustrating and I gave up. But this morning I resumed downloading at 6am EST ( at about 200 megs downloaded ) and I had the full 1.8 Gigs by 8am EST. So the servers seemed to be much faster this morning ( 11-29 ) than last night ( 11-28 ). I was able to create a character and play a bit this morning. No issues so far.
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478
    No, we can't pass through the starting page. Delete all, and then do it again with direct downloader? How is it working? Can we do this? Or if we selected the sh*tty BeamDog Client, then we can't go to the other later? Please help.
    Sese79 said:

Yesterday I tried both ways: I downloaded it with the BG:EE downloader (from 00:30 - to 00:41 CET), but the other way for my wife was just failing and freezing with BeamDog Client. Now we try it again, but the BeamDog Client is much worse - if it is till possible - it is freezing on the very beginning now: it is not even showing the Game, only the grey background and freezing. I don't understand why BeamDog released such a crap downloader at all.... :(:(:( Should we delete everything, and start again with the BG:EE direct downloader? Or is it just again a heavy load on the servers and it is still a pain to download the full 1,8 GB again? I am very disappointed with this "Enhanced Edition", and if we can't make it work today (play a multiplayer game together without Hamachi, etc.), then we will ask for a payback. Thanks for the understanding.

Yea that's really sucks! And very dissapointing. I am very frustated myself ... can't play a game that I have payed for is ridiculous
  • ParaneParane Member Posts: 14
    We had people joining the IRC channel last night and we could cry on each other's shoulders while waiting for the downloads to kick in. I had faith in you guys taking care of the issues and sure enough, you did.

Thanks. And what a great game it (still) is!
    Cuv
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    I was lucky then as i finished the d-loading a short time ago and it was fast for me so there may simply be a traffic issue...hang in there :-).