Skip to content

How do I achieve actual fullHD resolutions?

Comments

• FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289

What will look great on tablets and other Mid Range/Low Range Resolution delivering machines does look not so good on a pc... if you have big enough resolutions around.

This doesn't make sense. The iPad's resolution is 2048x1536, which was a target res for the game. 1080p, then, should not be blurry.
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    @Bytebrain I have played through BG using BGT many times at 1080P. There is a font mod that makes reading much easier. Things seemed much crisper. Was it perfect no, but I have 20/20 vision and I'm really having a hard time with the font there using. Overhaul has a lot of work to do still. I believe with GEM RB you can change the font. That currently is my best hope for the future of Baldurs Gate.
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227

What will look great on tablets and other Mid Range/Low Range Resolution delivering machines does look not so good on a pc... if you have big enough resolutions around.

This doesn't make sense. The iPad's resolution is 2048x1536, which was a target res for the game. 1080p, then, should not be blurry.
    It makes sense :) It also depends on the screen size. It always depends on Resolution and Screensize. No matter which kind of resolution a tablet has, you can not compare it with a real computer screen or the solution which i have... when i use my Full HD tv as screen. It still will look great for sure on Tabs but lacks heavily in detail and quality on pc screens/TV Full HD Screens.

• MansenMansen Member Posts: 82
    You're confusing resolution with pixel to inch ratio, Ikon.

The iPad runs at a set resolution - stuff will only look good on it if it is drawn/rendered to that resolution.
  • MikePXPMikePXP Member Posts: 54
    I have also played through the entire TUTU version on 1920x1080 and it wasn't too small. It looked great the only problem was the text was a bit too small. Still readable but like somebody else said there is a mod to make the text to your liking.
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    we should have a UI on par with IWD 2 for PC and this crap they presented us with for tablets.
  • seasea Member Posts: 65
    edited November 2012
    There are no "full HD" resolutions. Enjoy your sub-HD tablet resolution upscaled by a factor of 3. This is just embarrassing and disgraceful.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    begolf00 said:

@Bytebrain I have played through BG using BGT many times at 1080P. There is a font mod that makes reading much easier. Things seemed much crisper. Was it perfect no, but I have 20/20 vision and I'm really having a hard time with the font there using. Overhaul has a lot of work to do still. I believe with GEM RB you can change the font. That currently is my best hope for the future of Baldurs Gate.

I've tried Tutu, briefly, only made it to the Friendly Inn.
    It was using widescreen mod, also the font mod. I played with different resolutions, trying to find one that didn't make everything too small.
    I finally settled on 1152x648, and it worked, still too small for my liking though, remember, I've only played through the game on vanilla BG on 640x480 or 800x600. Can't remember which.

I tried this shortly after the announcement of BG:EE, fired up by nostalgia I couldn't wait and bought a copy on GOG.
    I played a bit, and stopped, thinking is much rather walk through this game for the first time in 14 years in the Enhanced Edition.

And I was right to do so. I can play as the game was designed to, close to my character using the fabulous zoom feature.
    I think some of you must have driver issues or something, because the text is crisp and clear in my game, and I have lousy eyesight. Except maybe for the tooltips, which could use a slightly bigger font.

I don't think the GUI is blurry at all, in fact, everything looks lovely in the game.

Also, the statements about the game being imported from the iPad is silly and obviously not true.
    The interface have been made scalable to most if not all resolutions possible, which is a very clever move by the developers.
    Except of course that some people think the GUI is too big and blurry on high res.
    However, a lot of people don't mind the new GUI, so it works for some.

I don't think the developers could win this one, no matter what they did, someone would complain.
    It's a treasured game and peoples love, nostalgia and protection of the true and tested original was assured to set the blood boiling in a lot of veterans of the BG series when too big or too small changes were made.

Thats just how it is. I just hope Beamdog can work through the difficult post launch and come out on the other side, knowing that they made somethng that most people will love for what it is.
    An Enhanced Version of a great game.
    You keep pointing out scaling as being a clever move - this is something your monitor/graphics card would do anyway. Just saying.
    Magevil said:

we should have a UI on par with IWD 2 for PC and this crap they presented us with for tablets.

If they'd done something like that with the GUI, a lot of people would have complained, because it would be too much of a change to a classic.
    That's the problem with doing a project like this, they're bound to piss some people off, no matter what.
    A lot would say, don't tinker with that bit, or that's too much, it doesn't look like BG anymore, while others would have the opposite problem with the game.
    They can't please everybody.

They had, rightly or wrongly, decided from the front, that they would not tinker too much with the look and interface of the game, so as not to alienate veteran BG players and also I guess for real fear of breaking the loom and design of the game, and it would become something else.

For what it's worth, the developers respect the game, and really tried to do right by it.
    I think they've succeeded, even if there's a few kinks to straighten out still.
    Mansen said:

You keep pointing out scaling as being a clever move - this is something your monitor/graphics card would do anyway. Just saying.

Of course it's a clever move!
    Your monitor does nothing of the sort @Mansen. You've tried widescreen mod, and seen for yourself that the GUI get smaller in higher resolutions, as does everything else.

They've made the clever scaling, that keeps the size of the GUI the same relative to the screensize no matter what resolution. Not just the GUI of course, everything scales.

That's very clever indeed.
    Yeah - that's the exact same thing. None of the UI elements are changing size. They just stretch. This is exactly what hardware/software scaling does respectively for the monitor/graphics card.

This is just 1:1 scaling - no elements are changing. Widescreen mods DO however change depending on the resolution. Not by scaling but expanding the game window to the new "blackspace" and keeping GUI elements the same size (since there is no scaling, only more room)
    Mansen said:

Yeah - that's the exact same thing. None of the UI elements are changing size. They just stretch. This is exactly what hardware/software scaling does respectively for the monitor/graphics card.

This is just 1:1 scaling - no elements are changing. Widescreen mods DO however change depending on the resolution. Not by scaling but expanding the game window to the new "blackspace" and keeping GUI elements the same size (since there is no scaling, only more room)

Yes, exactly, 1:1 scaling is not the same as just changing the resolution, because all that does, and always have done, is shrink the elements on the screen in the process.
    The widescreen mod does the latter. It does nothing more than change resolution of your screen.

Yes it stretches to the resolution of your screen, giving a uniform look, no matter what resolution, what screen you have, and even what computing system you have.
    Yes - yes it is exactly the same.

Upscaling the game from a low resolution to a higher one will look exactly the same whether an application or the hardware does it for you. The only exception to this is if the game is aspect ratio aware and have several UI templates for each ratio standard (4:9, 16:9, 16:10) where the hardware scaling will simply put black borders.

The typical widescreen mod (or resolution mod) does NOT scale anything - it simply fills out the additional screen space with the main game window (the only thing that doesn't scale easily). UI elements retain their old sizes, which means they will appear smaller than with scaling.
    Well, obviously you know more about this stuff than me, but it's semantics isn't it?
    I mean the old widescreen mod made everything smaller, it would be pointless to try and sell that as a feature for this game now.
    The way they've solved it, no matter how trivial it may be, according to you, is elegant and the game looks better for it.
    pry_to
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    @Bytebrain

I actually really like the new GUI. The journal is great, the info features are great. I miss the brown a little bit. It just needs a bit of work. The font is bothering me though and I believe it's a bit blury even though I have AA and AF off. I however I'm not worried as I believe the developers will make GUI eventually perfect.
    Just noticed that you have a lot of patience:)
    pry_to
    @begolf00 said
    "Just noticed that you have a lot of patience:)"

LOL
  • ZamielZamiel Member Posts: 15
    I'm very angry too. I made a post about that issue here too: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7938/very-disappointed-about-the-gui

I think they even don't read our posts. All they can do is retweet how happy some players are with the game... This is just a shitty port-from-pc-to-tablet-and-back-to-pc release.
  • pry_topry_to Member Posts: 1
    This is blurry? My eyes must be failing me since the original release lol. I see a slight Gaussian type blur on the buttons on the left if I stare at them, pointlessly...
    http://s7.directupload.net/file/d/3091/bx99stex_jpg.htm
    Well @Zamiel
    Maybe it would be a good idea if you read the pinned announcements on top of the Windows forum. Maybe you'll find help there.
    Other than that, I can tell you that there is a multitude of threads and posts on that issue all over the place, you could do a search.

Unfortunately, most people in those threads is also just shouting that they're angry, so it's probably not going to be a fruitful experience, unless you just want to vent like the rest of them.

I don't have blurry text myself, but iI would think you may be able to help yourself by starting with upgrading your drivers for your graphics card, maybe fiddle with the settings a bit and If that doesnt help go read the pinned announcements, and if all fail write to support@beamdog,com
  • IngentagIngentag Member Posts: 5
    @Bytebrain
    People wenting about a blurry UI is understandable, and it does look like crap.. Gotta agree with zamiel.
    And it's the design that is faulty not drivers or settings...
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    I don't get this thread, the game absolutely is running in HD.

I can confirm this because recorded videos come out in my monitors full glorious 1920x1200 resolution, and they are crystal clear and high definition compared to recording videos in BG2 and Tutu, which simply stretched the 1024x768 resolution up to the recording resolution and it looked terrible.
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    The answer in how to achieve full HD is simple.

Alcohol.
    Chet
    Ingentag said:

@Bytebrain
    People wenting about a blurry UI is understandable, and it does look like crap.. Gotta agree with zamiel.
    And it's the design that is faulty not drivers or settings...

@Ingentag
    If you to read my post a bit more thorough you will find that I my point is not that the people with this issue are venting, but the fact that they're venting everywhere, except where they might get help, and there have been quite a few who have even been aggressive when offered help or civil dialogue from fellow forum users.

And help and civil dialogue is something this forum have been good at, but it's hard in the face of several hundreds new members who don't really care about etiquette.

There's been made hundreds of threads about the same four or five subjects, some people, like the member I was helping making several on the same subject, smothereing any chance of important threads with information can be found by anyone. It simply drowns in the sea of angry people.

Now, the issue of blurry GUI, I think you are confusing personal opinion of design with bug.
    There's many that don't have blurry GUI. How can that be? It can only be one of two things then, either something is not right in your settings or drivers on your PC, since, hey, I don't have that problem, or it's simply because you don't like the design of the new GUI.
    If its the latter, it surely doesn't deserve that many threads here, and it certainly doesn't call for the vitriol and offensive remarks against the developers.

Many of us really liked the GUI.
    We tried to make a couple of threads expressing our gratitude to the developers, but was each time invaded by people who just had to tell us how bad the freaking GUI was and how dare we have a different opinion and actually LIKE the game?
    Those threads deterioated quickly into something else than the original purpose, a place where some of us could talk about the joy we felt about the game.

Right, I'm sorry, I just needed to get it out there...
    I'll leave it at that I think.
  • seasea Member Posts: 65
    edited December 2012
    Mungri said:

I don't get this thread, the game absolutely is running in HD.

I can confirm this because recorded videos come out in my monitors full glorious 1920x1200 resolution, and they are crystal clear and high definition compared to recording videos in BG2 and Tutu, which simply stretched the 1024x768 resolution up to the recording resolution and it looked terrible.

It's running in HD resolutions, yes, but the entire image is being scaled up. This means that no matter what you do, it looks blurry... the only work-around is to play in windowed mode, which does no scaling, and is harder to play because you a) have a smaller viewport and b) scrolling using the mouse is awkward because it has a tendency to move outside the window.
    @sea
    I'm not so sure that it's the scaling alone that makes it blurry for you.
    @Mungi wrote he doesnt have that issue.
    I don't have that issue. Running full screen, 720P, sharp and crisp GUI.

There must be something else wrong that applies to individual machines, drivers or settings.

Scaling works fine for many of us, without blurry textures.
  • ShnizmuffiNShnizmuffiN Member Posts: 16
    An example, for clarity:

Come closer, so that my hamster may get a better look at you!
    Chet
    Well, I can see a difference because it's so close up.
    Can't see any blurry textures on my own machine on 720P though...
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    The GUI textures are a bit blurry on my 720p screen. Is there even a way to fix that though? I just figure the game has to have certain graphics made at certain size dimensions and so the screen just kind of gets scaled and when it does...it stretches the image.

I don't think I ever really figured the game would be true HD, just made to work natively with widescreen HD displays. >.> I mean those portraits and paper dolls and the animations and all the artwork in its purest form were unattainable right? I could swear I read that somewhere. So basically you just have a Baldur's Gate "optimized" for newer displays. But you know...you can connect a VCR to an 80" widescreen TV and watch it too. It's just going to look stretched and blurry and awful. I'm not entirely sure what people expected since the same thing is happening here.
  • enoch0oenoch0o Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2012
    Bytebrain said:

Well, I can see a difference because it's so close up.
    Can't see any blurry textures on my own machine on 720P though...

There is no close up.That 1920x1080 example is the actual size and blurriness ingame.See now what everyone is complaining about?On our nice HD screens we get this?

Also, the new cinematics have black border around the edges.Looks like they display at 1776x1000 resolution which my monitor doesn't display properly even with scaling options. :/

Post edited by enoch0o on