Skip to content

Simple XP Cap Mod Question

SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
edited July 2012 in General Modding
I've been perusing the mods section and can't seem to find any mention of a simple XP cap remover mod for BGEE. I know it's rolled up in many of the grander BG mods, but I was wondering if anyone has any plans to do just a quick cap remover.

On a related, but not strictly modding specific note, does anyone know what the plans are for spell levels and caps in BGEE? I remember in the original mages capped out around spell level 5. Anyone know of any plans to incorporate the higher spell levels from BG2 in BGEE?

Lastly, I do not mod myself, but I did enjoy using the CLUA console on occasion during my 80th play through BG. Anyone have any info on this being in BGEE? I remember Trent mentioning it in a tweet, but it didn't get too specific.

Sorry if these topics have been flogged to death, I'm coming late to the forum party. Thanks for any info.

Comments

• AnoAno Member Posts: 4
    I don't think they'll remove the cap, but i think Trent said they might increase it a bit due to the new adventure so maybe level 9 will be the max level with bgee.Thats as high as I'm comfortable with otherwise upon starting bgee2 your character won't have too many difficulties at all for awhile. I think CLUA console will still be there thats how i used to test my mods to see if i was getting the desired effect. I presume the developers use it themselves.
  • ArinochArinoch Member Posts: 15
    I'd argue that if you put in enough play time to reach level 9+ in BG1, beating almost every side quest, then you kind of deserve to not have much trouble with the beginning of BG2. Though of course if you eliminate the BG1 cap, then the team needs to make every ability from BG2 available in BG1. Not sure whether or not that's happening.
    DukeOfSuffolk
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    I always liked to have a nice xp cap remover mod just for runs where I was attempting to solo the game. Those extra few hp's always came in handy.
    I really feel strongly that the option to remove the XP cap adds replayability to the game. Even if it's an option that means your character is no longer exportable to BG2, I would still use it when attempting to solo.

Anyone that has the modding ability to make a simple XP cap remover mod would certainly get a high-five from me.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2012
    I really don't like XP cap at all. I never speed run the game, completing every quest I find and never leaving an area with any spot unexplored.

I actuallly feel cheated when my group stops receiving XP, so a XP cap remover will be the first thing I'll install after BGEE.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    The XP cap remover in the G3 BG2 Tweak Pack is completely stand-alone, so what you are asking for already exists.
    silof
    Wisp said:

The XP cap remover in the G3 BG2 Tweak Pack is completely stand-alone, so what you are asking for already exists.

Thanks for the info Wisp. I'm a little fuzzy right now on how existing mods are going to cross over to BGEE, I just assumed an XP cap remover would have to be tailor made for the EE.

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    --Nevermind--
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
    @Wisp Eh now that I think about it, I think there's some miscommunication going on here. You said a simple XP cap remover already exists in the G3 BG Tweak Pack. What I'm hoping for is an XP cap remover for BGEE, which by the look of other mod threads, will be a little time in the making. Is this correct?
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited August 2012
    @Smaug
    Well, you will have it as soon as any mod.
    But depending on what Beamdog does, it need not be terribly difficult to uncap the game (if no tables need to be extended etc.,) using low-tech methods. In that case it could be entirely possible to post a dirty xp-uncapper mod before the game has even been unlocked.
    @Wisp Thanks again for the clarification.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    With notepad, you can make a xp-cap in 5 seconds... Don't worry about that.
    Ah cool!
  • KarrgootKarrgoot Member Posts: 26
    Just fuck the xp cap it is retarded any way
    Smaug
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I never liked caps in games, it ruins my god like stats.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Caps belong on mushrooms, not games...
    SmaugAntonFigrutlolien
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    I found the XP cap in BG1 to be irritatingly low (max out well before end of game, but ToTSC helped) but in BG2 I hit the XP cap at the very end of the game, so it didn't bother me.

I hope the XP Cap in BG:EE stays faithful to the original game (ToTSC). Beating a game because I'm many levels higher than the content was designed for is not fun to me.
    DukeOfSuffolkFigrut
  • MoobooMagooMoobooMagoo Member Posts: 11
    I believe that, technically, an xp cap remover is really simple. You just have to change the cap to something that is impossible to reach like -1. However, there may not be any information in the game for higher levels, like exp tables, saving throw tables, spell tables, etc.

Those would need some more work. I would very much support an xp cap remover. I feel they are silly and hate playing with them.
    @MoobooMagoo I recall the tables being an issue with either BG1 or 2. If you removed the XP cap and reached a certain level, some of the weapon proficiencies were reset to level 1, or something like that.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Smaug said:

@MoobooMagoo I recall the tables being an issue with either BG1 or 2. If you removed the XP cap and reached a certain level, some of the weapon proficiencies were reset to level 1, or something like that.

I also recall this, and I also recall a "safe" xp cap remover for bg2 TOB, which would allow you to continue getting experience forever, however your level would max out at 40,
    which brings me to my point,
    If someone creates an xp cap remover for bgee (which I hope they do), and since its based off of the bg2 engine, would the level cap out at 40? Which, I know would be a hard level to reach in bg1, but still.

I guess my question is, COULD a mod exist that would allow support for level 40 characters in bgee (without glitching the game)?

• lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    @sepotter
    Basically yes, just a matter of editing .2DA files with the correct entries if they are not already the vanilla BG2 ones (if so yo only have to edit the XPCAP.2DA to remove the cap, which is all needed for your level 40 cap in BG2)
    I read the tutorial on how to remove the XP cap remover; it's ridiculously easy. Just open the. 2DA files w/ notepad and edit the appropriate lines. I'm confident we will be able to do it on day 1.
  • OremusOremus Member Posts: 15
    That's an interesting question about the behavior changing due to sharing the same engine this time around.

I always used a mod for BGII+ToB that set the cap at 50 and also updated the level tables to support the higher levels. I wonder if that kind of thing would then be (mostly) compatible with the original BG (not that I'd want to be level 50 in the original BG, so that is mainly just a curiosity)...
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    The mod that sets the cap at level 50 is a bit more technical I think, since they have to modify the experience tables and what not, perhaps not too bad though.
    However, what I wonder about is a mod that I used, which is the 'safe' experience cap remover.
    It kept the level cap at 40, but allowed you to continue getting experience, which is ideal for multi and dual classes, and this without the concern of the level wrapping around to 0 or 1.
    So, will the edit of the .2DA files maintain the level cap, or does that take extra work?
  • klatuklatu Member Posts: 108
    lansounet said:

@sepotter
    Basically yes, just a matter of editing .2DA files with the correct entries if they are not already the vanilla BG2 ones (if so yo only have to edit the XPCAP.2DA to remove the cap, which is all needed for your level 40 cap in BG2)

Sure, that would remove the cap, but the new levels you could gain that way wouldn't be proper levels. You also need to account for Saving Throws, Thac0, Kit Abilities, HLAs (if any), Spell Progression, etc. etc... however these are all handled by 2DAs too, so not really that different, it just takes more work.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    If nothing was changed in the Engine, it is easy to extend the tables up to level 50....
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    klatu said:

lansounet said:

@sepotter

Sure, that would remove the cap, but the new levels you could gain that way wouldn't be proper levels. You also need to account for Saving Throws, Thac0, Kit Abilities, HLAs (if any), Spell Progression, etc. etc... however these are all handled by 2DAs too, so not really that different, it just takes more work.
    ...which is exactly what BG2 Tweaks does. My local build works just dandy on the beta, too.

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited November 2012
    One thing though, its very likely that BGEE will not have HLA's in the game, though I don't see anyone reaching HLA levels without some serious grinding.
  • NullCascadeNullCascade Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2012
    -Nevermind-
    Post edited by NullCascade on
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    edited November 2012
    can some1 confirm that STARTARE.2DA and STARTBP.2DA actually affects xpcap in each champaigns?
    both file have START_XP_CAP
    STARTARE has the one with BG cap
    STARTBP for black pit..600000
    but I'm not sure yet whether its necessary to alter those two files
    Post edited by junk11 on