Skip to content

Overhaul. WTF?!

Seriously there are so many bugs, glitches, broken mechanics, removed functionality, bad design, and general poor quality assurance and you still have yet to address these issues with the community.

This is the biggest let down this year as far as gaming goes imo. You take one of the best RPGs of all time and essentially ruin it with shoddy design and a lack of understanding of the product. All you had to do was look through the major modding sites, Gibberlings 3 in particular would be a great resource.

So would someone please directly address why certain choices were made (UI, frame updates, removing cinematics and replacing the rest with cheap motion comic garbage), why its such a broken mess considering the additional 2.5 months on top of your planned dev cycle, and what you're doing to address the issues?

Also fix the game and stop trying to pinch out the IOS version, because its going to be just as broken as this mess is currently.
GloomfrostMungriBollywoodHerobr0m1n3KharadorelfuegoSullaRaistlin82VittordeVittoGueulEclatorCheOffshoreRapscallionaquaman214mallzJavikDraaktatsu

Comments

• Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Cryocore, seriously... Youve already been the creater of one rage/dissapointment thread so why the hell are you creating another?? Is it because we're seeing more positive threads come through now that you feel you have to compensate or something?

@Keadin There are some people dissapointed (I am a bit in some areas, but im still confident that beamdog can make this awesome through new patches and tweaks), but as ive just pointed out, you'll notice that its a select few repeatedly coming back to post more flame inducing threads such as this one.
    cory5694CelidonHoius
  • misiekbemisiekbe Member Posts: 17
    I also see this game as a very good production, I don't understand those kind of threads. Well haters gonna hate anyway ;)
    Bjjorick
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2012
    @cryocore, I'm not sure what system you're running of course or which bugs you've encountered since you mentioned neither, but I have not experienced a single bug or even a glitch. Aside from them changing the cut scenes and the intro vid, I really don't see what you're complaining about. Not to dismiss what you've said, but I find the UI much improved even over what mods I've used. As for the poor design, I fail to see that either. Anyone who expected a perfect product right out the door from a small development team needs to readjust their expectations. Even AAA houses have issues at launch.

As far as what Overhaul is doing to address the issues, I've downloaded a couple of updates since the day I started playing and I would expect the release of fixes to continue.

Overall, I am very impressed with Overhaul and I think maybe people who are having difficulty need to relax a little bit and exercise some patience and maybe show a bit more gratitude and maturity. For the first time in over a decade we have the chance to see the Baldur's Gate saga expanded through official releases. That is no small thing. Too, you did not pay a fortune for this game but a VERY reasonable $20. Keep that in mind when you're wondering why not every issue was fixed before launch and understand that while even the resources of AAA houses are limited, Overhaul's are even more so.

One other thing I would like to add: the new content and NPCs are top-notch.
    MoiraTr_ondHoius
  • dracuifydracuify Member Posts: 33
    Apparently i got the non-bugging version, then :) I haven't run into any issues yet and i've really enjoyed BG:EE thus far. I can understand if someone doesn't like the game compared to original game with mods, though.

But if that's the case, i don't understand why these complainers keep on spreading hate, when they could just get a refund, uninstall BG:EE, play and enjoy the original modded game if that's so much better. Makes me think these guys didn't want BG:EE to succeed to begin with.

And if you honestly want the game to get better for you, then you're approaching this all wrong. Report glitches, bugs and wait for fixes. I'm sure in 1998 when BG1 launched, it had glitches and bugs aswell. It's stupid to assume the game to be bugfree at release.
    Hoius
  • VaryahenVaryahen Member Posts: 224
    The problem of haters is that make more haters. Like an infection.

This is not the first game launch with bugs for a high % of people. So dont be so angry with that ppl who has resurected our loved BG. Time to time. Bug will be fixed soon. I'm sure.
    Hoius
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    @Rapscallion
    I had lag/freezing issues too. Just go to your graphic card options, and set everything as "Application Managed" or off. It should help with many issues (lags, screen flash or blurry font).

Check out my topic here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8268/solution-flashing-screen-glitch#latest
    Hoius
  • TyrielTyriel Member Posts: 20
    I don`t get the complaining this game is just what i expected it to be Baldurs Gate slightly upgraded.

Really hope they make a BG2 edition.
    sandmanCCLDurenasswnmcmlxiHoius
  • Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    @dracuify, I'm beginning to wonder in regards to the hate whether much of it is coming from parts of a modding community that want to keep BG in the modder's hands rather than see a new and updated version with mods later based on that. Honestly, that is exactly what I suspect when I see a post like the OP's (which is more rant than anything since it doesn't actually define any specific issues).
    Hoius
  • WelborneWelborne Member Posts: 4
    Tyriel said:

Really hope they make a BG2 edition.

Icewind Dale! ;)

@dracuify, I'm beginning to wonder in regards to the hate whether much of it is coming from parts of a modding community that want to keep BG in the modder's hands rather than see a new and updated version with mods later based on that. Honestly, that is exactly what I suspect when I see a post like the OP's (which is more rant than anything since it doesn't actually define any specific issues).

Don't know anything about that. But yeah, it's odd some people keeps on complaining about nothing specific and rest of the "issues" are just opinions about new stuff (intro, UI and such). Bugs and glitches should be reported, because pc-platform will always introduce problems to different users.

MoiraHoius
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    another whining kid. ot's been a while.. :)
  • AraminaAramina Member Posts: 64

Anyone who expected a perfect product right out the door from a small development team needs to readjust their expectations. Even AAA houses have issues at launch.

*cough*Skyrim*cough* Also heard ACIII had some amazingly game-breaking bugs right after launch.

I too was a little disappointed with the new cutscene style, but as far as bugs go, other than the missing string with Dorn (maybe Jaheira's death stare was so intimidating we just lost our train of thought?) I haven't encountered anything remotely game-breaking or annoying. It's easy to try and compare BG:EE with a modded version of BG and see things missing, but I will never go back to the vanilla game after this. Once the modders catch up with the new game, it can only get better.

Of the new NPCs, I've only picked up Dorn so far, but it's very nice to have non-modded conversations with my party, and Dorn's lines from what I have seen so far are very well-written. Of the two minutes I played with Rasaad his lines seemed well done as well. (I picked him up to be my human shield so I could kill Drizzt...I'm sure he didn't mind) Overall a very solid game for a few days after release, especially considering it's not from the Hollywood-esque studios with their massive budgets.

Archaos
  • cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    edited December 2012
    Bugs I have encountered
    CTD numerous time
    Losing mouse pointer constantly
    Lagging
    Freezing
    Slow movement
    Scripting not triggering
    Conversations missing dialog
    Needing to choose options multiple times before the game responds
    Graphical glitches due to minimizing part of the UI
    Incorrect rule implementation (THAC0, and HPs)

Not bugs but bad design
    Removing of AI/Frame updates. I have played BG @ 45frames for almost 15 years and now I cant. Its a huge issue.
    Badly scaled low res art for books, menu, UI
    Reset of zoom
    No font options (cant read s**t due to locked resolution)
    No resolution options (my monitors native res is 2560 x 1440 which is too high for this game)
    Pathfinding is significantly lower than vanilla BG1. Its truly pathetic here.
    Crap cinematics
    Removed cinematics

My rig
    i7 2600k (no OC)
    2x GTX580 (2nd card disabled for game)
    16 Gig DDR3
    Win 7 64

This version of the game is an appalling mess.
    KharadorSullaGueulEclatorARKdeEREH
    Fredjo said:

Im 36 you dismissive tool.

• ratoaratoa Member Posts: 15
    Crappy HP laptop from 2007
    2.0 Ghz
    4 GB memory
    Nvidia 8600m
    WinXP

No bugs or problems so far so I wonder
    kilroy_was_herecreator1629
    cryocore said:

Bugs I have encountered
    CTD numerous time
    Lagging
    Freezing
    Slow movement
    Scripting not triggering
    Conversations missing dialog
    Needing to choose options multiple times before the game responds
    Graphical glitches due to minimizing part of the UI
    Incorrect rule implementation (THAC0, and HPs)

Not bugs but bad design
    Removing of AI/Frame updates. I have played BG @ 45frames for almost 15 years and now I cant. Its a huge issue.
    Badly scaled low res art for books, menu, UI
    Reset of zoom
    No font options (cant read s**t due to locked resolution)
    No resolution options (my monitors native res is 2560 x 1440 which is too high for this game)
    Pathfinding is significantly lower than vanilla BG1. Its truly pathetic here.
    Crap cinematics
    Removed cinematics

My rig
    i7 2600k (no OC)
    2x GTX580 (2nd card disabled for game)
    16 Gig DDR3
    Win 7 64

This version of the game is an appalling mess.

Like i just said, report the bugs and wait for fixes if you really want the game to get anywhere for you.

About design choices:

I'm used to the frame updates already, but those could be made available to change. Locked zoom would be nice to have implemented and not that hard to do. Disagree on the rest.

• CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Please no personal attacks.
    HaHaCharadeJamesCheesebellyCelidon
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    edited December 2012
    if I might add
    -- for many non-english system locale in windows..
    the price for buy/sell, beers displayed as < itemcost > in game...
    -- few bugs with assigning key
    -- race trait ain't displayed in character info

many obvious bugs on GUI, not to mention game's compatibility...
    I wonder how bad was the one 2 months ago..

anyway just hope Overhaul can sort these out soon enough
    Post edited by junk11 on
    Draaktatsu
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    cryocore said:

Lagging
    Freezing

@cryocore There is new option after a patch in graphical options. It should help your cursor problems.
    also checkout this thread, if you have any lag, freezes, screen flickering or any other graphical issues:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8268/solution-flashing-screen-glitch#latest
    Google_CalasadeHoius
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    cryocore said:

Fredjo said:

Im 36 you dismissive tool.

I think his point was that you're acting childish. First you rant about the game, then when you post bugs you don't do it in the right place. How else do you think people are going to react? Nearly every game nowadays is released in such a state that bugs arise because the devs aren't omniscient and don't know every possible setup to plan for.

I'm really sorry you're encountering problems, but seriously, ease up. Let the devs fix stuff. I encountered my fair share of bugs as well, I reported them and moved on. You should too. You'll get your money's worth in time.
    Tr_ondAlesthesHoius
    Kithrixx said:

I'm really sorry you're encountering problems, but seriously, ease up. Let the devs fix stuff. I encountered my fair share of bugs as well, I reported them and moved on. You should too. You'll get your money's worth in time.

If this was a new game, using a new engine you might have a point, but it isnt. Its an old game using a revamped version of the old engine. ALL of the issues should have been resolved before release (seriously how bad was this at the original release date if this is the state of things 2.5 months later?)

I have reported the bugs, but the reason for the thread was due to the complete lack of comms from Overhaul/Beamdog. There are those of us who have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of this game ( I have been playing it for almost 15 years) so we notice things that have gone wrong a little easier than some. One of my issues is that they've removed things to make it easier for iOS to deal with, and that is unacceptable. You dont change a game on the original platform to cater to a different platform. Fix the PC version THEN look at porting the game over, and tell us what the hell is happening.

Sulla
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @cryocore The devs are hard at work on the very bugs you and others have reported. An update is in the works and is being run through the beta pipeline before it is made public.

BG:EE runs on a rebuilt version of the BG2 Infinity engine. The BG1 engine did some things very differently than the BG2 engine. Nothing was removed in favor of iOS to my knowledge, things have been added instead. If you have specific things you would like to see returned or are missing, create a thread in the 'Feature Requests' forum. If you have a bug to report, please report it in the 'Bugs' forum.
    HaHaCharadeCheesebellyHoius
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Cuv said:

@cryocore The devs are hard at work on the very bugs you and others have reported. An update is in the works and is being run through the beta pipeline before it is made public.

BG:EE runs on a rebuilt version of the BG2 Infinity engine. The BG1 engine did some things very differently than the BG2 engine. Nothing was removed in favor of iOS to my knowledge, things have been added instead. If you have specific things you would like to see returned or are missing, create a thread in the 'Feature Requests' forum. If you have a bug to report, please report it in the 'Bugs' forum.

You might not have an answer for this Cuv, but do you know if the patch will fix an already played through game, or will a new game have to be created? (ex. if your quests are not closing as they should, will running the patch close them out, etc.)
This discussion has been closed.