Skip to content

Overhaul. WTF?!

Comments

• Gonglez_P_IGonglez_P_I Member Posts: 14

@Gonglez_P_l

I dislike the new cinematics so much that I will be going back to BGTutu. Unless a mod is made that restores the original cinematics, my copy of BG:EE is sadly just going to be hard drive filler.

Really? Huh, well I don't like vague outdated graphics... and I'm sure I'm not alone. But cinematics don't break a game, and if they do for you, may I suggest simply skipping them?
  • mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    @Gonglez_P_l

The problem is I actually want the originals in the game and skipping the new cinematics won't do that.

If the original cinematics were going to be replaced, they should have all been replaced (over half were not and are missing entirely) and they should have been faithful to the originals (not missing key dialogue from the intro for example).
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    dracuify said:

Kithrixx said:

Hey, @cryocore it looks like the devs are communicating.
    That link should be copied to every complaint thread out there, so people would maybe (hopefully) chill out a bit.

I know it's frustrating for people to have problems with the game, but it's not helping at all when some of the complainers are basically telling Overhaul to go D.I.A.F. They're doing everything they can to help people out.

I'm going to start doing that :P
  • Gonglez_P_IGonglez_P_I Member Posts: 14

@Gonglez_P_l

The problem is I actually want the originals in the game and skipping the new cinematics won't do that.

If the original cinematics were going to be replaced, they should have all been replaced (over half were not and are missing entirely) and they should have been faithful to the originals (not missing key dialogue from the intro for example).

This is what I don't understand, many of the cinematics did nothing but give a different view of the place you were entering. Do we really need a cinematic showing a person having a rug shaken free of dhiust 2 stories above him while he sits like a vagrant in the streets? I saw time would be better spent on gameplay than cinematics that really don't add anything to the story. Don't forget the size of Overhaul, I'm sure they just felt the way I do, their efforts were better spent on the game rather than frankly, boring and pointless cinematics.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Did they lose all the original art assets for BGII as well?.....
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

They did not lose it, Bioware did ;-)

(except of some monster models from TOB)

• Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    mch202 said:

They did not lose it, Bioware did ;-)

(except of some monster models from TOB)

Good ole Bioware. I am so done with them, have been ever since DA 2 and will remain so. I didn't even bother with ME3 because of Bioware's antics after the release of DA 2 (that and DA 2 was a crapfest of a game).

• IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    The graphic of the Baldur's Gate Saga was and is still not outdated...

It just does not stand a chance being compared with new and modern games.

Outdated sounds like ugly. And good 2d Artwork is never Ugly.

There are other more worse things which have to taken care of as a Graphic which is still today looking nice :)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    cryocore said:

All they need to do is post a topic addressing the concerns and actually provide some feedback. The post would take no time to write, and then maybe once every day or so update the OP. Hardly a time consuming endeavor is it? There is no need for individual replies just a general one addressing the more common issues relating to both bugs and features.

Having an official post that says "This is everything that is broken about our game, come take a look!" is also, really not good for business. As it invites trolls to scoff and say they can't do anything right.

Official post do take time to write as if they miss communicate one thing, people will be down their throats for it for months (see free items for preorders as an example).

That isn't how it works anywhere. Have you once, since starting this thread, looked at the bug section? Once, at all? Have you emailed support@beamdog.com with any issues that you are having? Once at all?

Go take a look. Someone posts a bug, someone goes in and agrees, one of the beta testers say "We'll add it to the list, closing thread." That is all the communication needed. A "thanks for the info, we work on it ASAP." They don't need to try to explain why the glitch is happening and what steps they are going to do to fix it, they are just going to fix it.

And the game hasn't been out a week and already there is a patch for it. It kinda shows you they are working on issues.
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    Hmm... It is no question if it is more good or more worse if feedback is given about bugs and technical problems, it is a question if there is Feedback at all.

Feedback is never a negative thing!
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    There are cinematics in Baldur's Gate? I guess I'm too busy playing the game to notice pointless cinematics.

Seriously, I thought they were pointless in BG1, and I still think are pointless.
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    Well. I think they had the right idea. The execution wasn't the best though.

I don't mind the cinematics. What I really care about is the actual game.

For me, to enhance BG is:

To add more combat animations.

To improve the spell animations (Web for example).

To add a bit more story to every NPC, rather then add 3 new ones. With the ammount of NPCs we have in BG1 they could've just gave each one of them a longer quest and some more dialogs.

To add new spells.

To add new weapons (two handed-axe?).

From Enhanced edition I understood "upgrade". From what I saw its more like a small expansion pack, they added 3 more NPCs and their quests. That's it.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    edited December 2012
    @Necroblivion

They weren't allowed to mess with existing material by the IP holders, so they couldn't add additional dialogue to existing NPC's.
    They aren't able to add combat animations as the original assets were lost by Bioware.

There's plenty of new weapons in the game.

Your complaints is unfair.
    There's plenty of new and enhanced stuff, you just neglect to mention it to have something to complain about:

The AI is substantially improved, which makes fights both harder and fun.
    Scalable graphics to high resolutions.
    New GUI and movies.
    Fantastic Zoom feature.
    The Black Pits
    Great NPC's
    New weapons and items.
    New areas to explore
    You can now stack projectiles up to 80 (four times than Vanilla BG)
    Cases for gems so they don't fill up the inventory.
    cases for scrolls too.
    New portraits and more coming later
    New kits and Classes
    (Soon to come) improved multiplayer with Matchmaking system.
    And lots more, but I'm too tired right now to think of them.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I forgot to mention:

Over 400 bug fixes
    A compleat overhaul of the engine, so it's much faster. No loading or saving screens, because you wouldn't have time to see them.
    I guess that it seems that I don't like the game or something. This is not the case. I bought it and I am happy about it.

I guess you are right. For the last few years I played GBTUTU, so when BGEE added BG2 features to BG1 it wasn't as great as it should've been because I was used to it.

Also few weeks ago, I decdided to check the NPC conversation mod and it just blown my mind. And now coming back to the "original game" and the silent NPCs kinda makes me sad.. its the only thing about BG2 that was better the BG1 IMO the NPC stories and character development.

I am very happy with the game though. But I think its okay to want it to be even better :)
  • CenerCener Member Posts: 45
    The game has no END cinematic anymore, hope it will be fixed soon @_o
    Kill Sarevok -> instant Main menu ; no cinematic, no generic, nothing.
    Cener said:

The game has no END cinematic anymore, hope it will be fixed soon @_o
    Kill Sarevok -> instant Main menu ; no cinematic, no generic, nothing.

:O
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    edited December 2012
    @Cener

You serious! That's a bummer.

@Gonglez_P_I

I don't think all of the cinematic's are bad. Some of them are really good others not as much. I do miss some, particularly the opening for Durlag's tower. Now I'm told the ending cinematic is gone. I think constructive criticism of the cinematic's is a good thing as BG2:EE is coming possibly and if no one told the developers how they really felt about some of these things then they would just keep on doing what their doing and probably upset a lot of people.

If the treat BG2 cinematic's the same way that they have BG:EE I think a lot of people will be upset.

Not saying all the cinematic's are bad, some are really good. Like the resting and death cinematic. Just wish they didn't cut so many.

Particularly when at one point OH said they would be replacing all of the cinematic's with hand painted ones.

http://i47.tinypic.com/sq0189.jpg
    For my part i don't care much if the last cinematic is delayed, i have seen it sooooooo many times.
    But i can imagine what a new player of this game will think when managing to finish the game...
    @Cener

I've played BG a lot. But when you haven't played it for like three yrs, it's nice to see the cutscenes again. They could make them skippable for people.
    cutscenes are already skippable.
  • Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    I think too many gamers are being too hard on the BGEE team. They only had 13 people working on it, and for a team that small, the amount of stuff they've done in such a short amount of time is impressive.
    edited December 2012
    You're right ;)
    And i think that BG:EE has a good chance to become the new base game for the BG serie.
    Just need to fix some stuffs and it will be perfect.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I've come around to really liking like the new cinematics within the overall gameplay experience. I think a little more might be done with a couple of them, eg, the Bandit Camp needs a little more motion and energy. But overall the graphic novel style is cool, and fitting. I'd love to see a web version of a graphic novel for BG, for that matter.

And the new UI is pretty gorgeous, I say. Both the movies and the UI make the experience fresh.

But most of all, the new NPCs are all real winners. They are extremely well done. It feels like a new game to me playing with Rasaad, Neera, and Dorn. If this caliber work continues I will absolutely be coming back for more.

And I haven't even had a go at the Black Pits yet.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    @cener actually there is a ending scene
    Btw. overhaul also improved modability of the game, which is worth a damn lot in my eyes. Just give pverhaul and modders some time.

@Arsene_Lupin
    @Lemernis

I do think some people are being pretty harsh but it's good to have constructive criticism even though that's not always happened. I'm just confused when they say their going to have all the cinematic's redone which they still advertise on their site and then you load up the game and I think so far there are almost 10 that have been cut. I know Trent on twitter said they changed their minds but their home page needs to reflect that. I also think the cinematics for the most part are okay but the intro is just not up to the quality of some of the other cinematics. The resting and death cinematic are really good in my opinion.

This is what is quoted on the main site.

"All of the Baldur's Gate cinematics have been replaced with beautifully hand painted animated cinematics, directed by Nat Jones." This is just not the case!

As for being to hard on the team, perhaps but constructive criticism is good.

@Cerner

haha lol. I was always use to the original's being unskippable. So I assumed wrong. Some people are saying though that there glad some of the scenes were taken out so they don't have to watch them. If you can skip them how does this bother them then?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @tilliy

It might help if you use the @XXXXX to direct who your talking about. This last whole page has not even been about bugs. As for bug reporting all ready done that. You sound exactly like the people you don't want to sound like.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    begolf00 said:

@tilliy

It might help if you use the @XXXXX to direct who your talking about. This last whole page has not even been about bugs. As for bug reporting all ready done that. You sound exactly like the people you don't want to sound like.

Oh, so there is a @*.* option, good to know! :)
    @tilly - nice skunk!
  • NecroscopeNecroscope Member Posts: 38
    A lot of the named NPC's you encounter like Nimbul and Bassilius no longer have their unique sounds. Makes me sad.
This discussion has been closed.