Skip to content

Game Patch: 1.0.2008 *UPDATE: Crash Reports!*

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Kristie83 A .ini file is normally a pure text file... let me hunt the information on the board and I'll see what has to be changed...
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @Kristie83 You open it in a text editor like wordpad and add/change lines. Like changing " 'Game Options', 'Critical Hit Screen Shake', '1', " to " 'Game Options', 'Critical Hit Screen Shake', '0', " turns off the screen shake effect on critical hits.
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    Dont use notepad though - it doesn't recognise the line breaks. Do a little google for a program called Notepad++. Its a handy little reader that'll help immensely. I'll leave @mlnevese to find you the "how to", though the whole rollback idea is a good one. What graphics card do you have anyhoo?
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259
    I found the configuration file but I don't know what I should change. I opened it in wordpad, not notepad. @DecrepitDragon I have a ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 series. Now that I updated the drivers it is listed as Sapphire Radeon X300SE. So you think I should roll back eh?
    I can't locate the info... I really hope some day we'll have a good search function in the forum...
    @Kristie, well, I'm no dev, but if it didn't happen before you upgraded, and now it does, well, I'd be looking at the upgrade as the cause. I believe the "X" series are in what is called "Legacy Support" - in other words, they've stopped making driver updates for them.

If memory serves, 10.2 was the last Catalyst version for your card, possibly the one thats messed up your gaming. So yeahj, I'd give the rollback a try. :)
    mlnevese said:

I can't locate the info... I really hope some day we'll have a good search function in the forum...

Yeah I've tried to search for many things around here with no luck, we may as well not even have the feature.
    @Kristie83 Tried running the game in a windowed mode to see if the crashes go away? I'm still looking for the information on the boards :)
    @DecrepitDragon Yeah, I know my card is elderly and decrepit, I'll roll back. Thanks for the advice!

@mlnevese Yeah, I've tried windowed mode, it doesn't change anything. Do you think changing my monitor's resolution would do anything?
    edited December 2012
    @Kristie83 Worthy a try before rolling back the driver update...
    Kristie83 said:

@DecrepitDragon Yeah, I know my card is elderly and decrepit, I'll roll back. Thanks for the advice!

@mlnevese Yeah, I've tried windowed mode, it doesn't change anything. Do you think changing my monitor's resolution would do anything?

@Kristie - I know the elderly and decrepit feeling sometimes. . .

Ah kids these days. . . grumblemumblegrumblegrrr. . .

:)
  • AerionAerion Member Posts: 9
    Cursor thing is better. Still dissapeared/got flickery when I moved a robe. Got a solid hour with it though. Cursor works with "hardware cursor" turned off though, only side effect so far is that it dips to black when I change from menu to gameview.

Also had a crash.
    @mlnevese Alright I'll try that first then!

@DecrepitDragon LOL!

Thanks for the help guys!
    @Kristie83 - You're very welcome. Hope it gets you closer to playing bug free. Just like @mlnevese, if I come across that .ini files res fix I'll give you a shout. :)
    edited December 2012
    @DecrepitDragon @Kristie83 At least we know there is a way and it's in the forums... somewhere... :)
    @mlnevese - All I'm going to say is:

Needle.

Haystack.

Mittens and welding mask. . . .
    mlnevese said:

@DecrepitDragon @Kristie83 At least we know there is a way and it's in the forums... somewhere... :)

Yeah, somewhere! lol!

@DecrepitDragon I don't even expect it to be bug free, I just want to play without it crashing, particularly the "special" crash where I need to restart my computer. I worry that it will do some kind of permanent damage to it...

@Kristie83 It's very rare that software actually causes damage to hardware, so no big worries there :)
    mlnevese said:

@Kristie83 It's very rare that software actually causes damage to hardware, so no big worries there :)

Even if its causing my computer to restart?
    edited December 2012
    @Kristie83 Yes... in the worst scenario you can get a windows start up corruption... And in 99% of the situations Windows can self fix from that with no problems :)
    mlnevese said:

@Kristie83 Yes... in the worst scenario you can get a windows start up corruption... And in 99% of the situations Windows can self fix from that with no problems :)

Good to know, thanks, that makes me feel better, because I'm not knowledgeable enough to fix my own computer, I have to pay someone to do it if something were to go horribly awry. :)
  • GypsySocksGypsySocks Member Posts: 40
    The download fixed my problem!
  • CriticalDamageCriticalDamage Member Posts: 13
    My luncher never worked, I use the .exe and it goes directly to the main menu. Can I download this patch from somewhere else? :S..
    edited December 2012
    @Kristie83 - I found a way to change the windowed resolution, but the only way, it seems, to change the fullscreen res at the moment, is to change your desktop res.

Now since the game plays in fullscreen at the same res as your desktop, I think we can assume that the resolution you're using isn't the problem. If the desktop displays, then the game should too.

Also, have you turned off V-Sync and Triple Buffering in your Catalyst Control Centre? Its worth trying. :)

That just leaves a driver issue. It seems like you might be one of the few people where an updated driver has introduced a problem, rather than fixing it. A rollback may at least get more info on the problem ( does it re-occur, is it worse/better etc ).
  • NightsWatchNightsWatch Member Posts: 6
    Prior to this "patch" I could get the game to launch after 3-5 tries. Now, the launch screen only comes up once and if the game doesn't start I have to reboot the computer to try again. It takes anywhere form 1-10 tries now. A few more "fixes" like that and I won't be able to start it at all. Strange how it starts sometimes and not others.
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    @NightsWatch have you tried launching with the .exe file directly ?
  • NightsWatchNightsWatch Member Posts: 6
    @Kukaracha Have tried every way I know how to launch it, desktop, program list, and mycomputer/c: etc. Running Windows 7 on a 2 year old Alienware w/ twin ATI Radeon graphics cards. I don't see any "crash" folder in the BGEE directory either.
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    @NightsWatch You may want to go to the support forums and create a thread if you're the only one with this problem. Every report helps.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    So the problem I had (launcher crashing whenever "Apply Update" was pressed) has seemingly resolved itself. After trying on and off for a couple of hours, running the launcher caused it to update itself. It is currently downloading the update.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Kristie83 said:

Even if its causing my computer to restart?

If software can cause your computer to restart then you have serious driver or hardware issues to begin with. As usual, make sure your drivers are up-to-date - they're probably not.

This discussion has been closed.