Skip to content

How do I achieve actual fullHD resolutions?

Comments

• MansenMansen Member Posts: 82
    Wrong - The "game screen" graphics do not need new sprites and backgrounds to work on high resolutions. More space = more "map" onscreen at a given time - yes this makes everything seem smaller (since you can see more of the game screen at a given time) but this does not make the game objectively worse.

At the end of the day you either like the added screenspace and smaller objects - or you prefer a zoomed in view which either means scaling (as seen in BGEE) or new graphics.

All that the high resolution crowd is not having scaling - because with scaling we might as well be playing at 640x480 because the end result on the monitor is exactly the same. Even Baldurs Gate 2 with the resolution choices built in used the "more screenspace" method for higher resolutions - it did not have a separate collection of backgrounds and sprites for every resolution.

TLDR: Give us our high resolution "widescreen mod" with a GUI that fits the 1920x1200 and the problem is gone. Scalers can have their zoomed in experience - high res crowd can have their overview and crisp graphics.
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    edited December 2012
    @mansen in that case, make a feature request, the more justified complains Beamdog gets in the right forum part, the less chance is that our complains do get unheared! :)

It would already work if they would allow to manually turn off that auto-zoom feature which is always running in background.
  • chilvencechilvence Member Posts: 50
    Mansen said:

"modernization - high end resolutions". Instead we are given the opposite. A game that doesn't do anything other than scale.

Oh yawn, it should be perfectly obvious that they weren' t talking about high definition. You are only interpreting it the way you WANT to. Here is the pitch on their site:

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition features an updated and improved interface that has native support for high resolution and widescreen displays.
    Maybe its because I am a bit more reserved, but I did not read that as "ZOMFG HD READY EVERY INCH OF GAME WORLD COMPLETELY REMASTERED FOR STUNNING PROJECTION ONTO OLYMPIC SWIMMING POOLS", because it is a 15 year old game, I remember what those were like at the time, still play some of the best ones today, and I have a more reasonable expectation of what can be achieved with the source material on a small scale project.

They have not taken away anything that you could already do in the original game, and they have added stuff that would have been computationally impossible at the time of the original game. That is the definition of an 'Enhancement', no matter how you want to make your own ruling. I think my 1998 self could quite possibly have been entertained just by the smooth zooming in and out for f* sake, you have to remember the times.
    edited December 2012
    @chilvence Sure, they did not talk about a real HD Version. And since Beamdog never made Replacement Art files, a HD one will never happen.

But it could get a bit better already if that damn Auto-Zoom, the one you can not switch off and runs constantly in the Background would be able to switch off.

Then you could always use the manual zoom feature to reach a higher size on High Resolutions.

Scaling is not that bad btw, if you have no "extra feature running constantly in background" which destroys screen sharpness.
    edited December 2012

@mansen in that case, make a feature request, the more justified complains Beamdog gets in the right forum part, the less chance is that our complains do get unheared! :)

It would already work if they would allow to manually turn off that auto-zoom feature which is always running in background.

It isn't a feature request however - It it a complaint that promises have not been made. I should not request what has been already promised.

@Chilvence: Native is native - Scaling is not native - it's a poor attempt at obscuring an unpleasant lie. You also seem to have a recurring issue with not understanding that remastering the imagery in the game is not involved in this process.
    edited December 2012
    Let me put this very simple. The only practical way to implement native support for any resolution BY DEFINITION has to implement scaling. If you can come up with one practical alternative, I will recant everything I have said.

Every single negative argument in this thread boils down to 'Waaahhh the game is too low def!', which to me is like buying peanut butter and then complaining to the manufacturer 'I am intensely allergic to peanuts and am now therefore dead and/or in intensive care! What are you going to do about it?!'

Actually let me please clarify my position a bit. When I say you haven' t lost any options, I mean quite simply no one is stopping you from playing the original game with the mods that make it exactly the way you have grown attached to. The appearance of BGEE has not somehow precluded you from following that course of action, it has merely opened up new options within its own incarnation of the game. GEMRB is an open source incarnation of the game that opens up even more options. Why is it so hard for people to live with options?
    At least i did not say the game is too low Definition... Only Partly. Sure, the in-game graphic could be sharper with a certain switch in the graphics menu, but seen from the point the source material has gone lost and there is no new created one, thats what we got, we have to live with it.

But what can be changed is the new created artwork, the GUI :)
    chilvence said:

Let me put this very simple. The only practical way to implement native support for any resolution BY DEFINITION has to implement scaling. If you can come up with one practical alternative, I will recant everything I have said.

Every single negative argument in this thread boils down to 'Waaahhh the game is too low def!', which to me is like buying peanut butter and then complaining to the manufacturer 'I am intensely allergic to peanuts and am now therefore dead and/or in intensive care! What are you going to do about it?!'

Let me put it this way - I bought a Blu-Ray disc (which are 720 and rarely 1080) but all I found in the case was a DVD (which runs at 480). That's about the only valid comparison you can make.

We were promised high resolution support natively - scaling is not that. You are also entirely wrong with your your quote, unquote DEFINITION. But I can conclude that talking to you is like talking to a wall - pointless and not very constructive.

You are seeing it how you want to. You were not promised 1080p graphics, and to even assume that was what they were doing is a stretch. Natively supporting resolutions means being able to scale gracefully to whatever the operating system demands, not necessarily crisp quality. If they were redoing the graphics for 1080, they would be shouting so loud about it that Kim Jong Un would know about it. But I can see talking to you is like banging my head on a brick wall. In that it feels ever so good when I stop!
    Not a stretch by a longshot - we've had the community pull it off for years now with the BG2 engine (TUTU + GUI mod to fix widescreen aspects). And you keep repeating your old tired and flawed argument that higher resolutions must include redoing the assets. Now we truly are done here.
    @Mansen in fact.. what is needed is simply an 1080P resolution - which can be achieved by a resolution switch in the game and a possible auto-zoom in background off.

Would be that enough to reach that?
  • enoch0oenoch0o Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2012

Anyway it's the modders who'll probably end up giving us pc users what we want.

Post edited by enoch0o on
    IkonNavrosFuzzyPuffinSupernome
    @enoch0o Considering that they possibly just made the GUI 1024x768 to fit the windowed interface and then just upscaling that one...

NO wonder that looks so blurry on 1920x1080 - A big letdown in my opinion :(
  • ShnizmuffiNShnizmuffiN Member Posts: 16
    @enoch0o / @IkonNavros / @Mansen / @chilvence / everyone who isn't @bytebrain :

From @TrentOster (twitter): For PC users, we have a beta big screen mode: put this into your baldur.ini file: 'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0',

TOUCHDOWN!
    WabbitTwakszuksad
  • enoch0oenoch0o Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2012
    awesome!Trying it now!

thanks for the heads up :)
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Lowercase letter o, not zero. What a difference!
  • WabbitTwaksWabbitTwaks Member Posts: 54
    @ShnizmuffiN
    This... this is... AWESOME! Thanks so much for the information relay!

@enoch0o / @IkonNavros / @Mansen / @chilvence / everyone who isn't @bytebrain :

From @TrentOster (twitter): For PC users, we have a beta big screen mode: put this into your baldur.ini file: 'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0',

TOUCHDOWN!

Hmm... didn't seem to do anything for me.

edited December 2012
    @Mansen
    Double check you typed it in correctly. I initially made the mistake of typing 'Scale' instead of 'Scale UI' (and that is a zero not the letter o) ;) Oh, and don't forget the final comma after the zero.
  • upi00rupi00r Member Posts: 91
    It only shows that all this "high resolution GUI" was a bullshit. Argh! :/

@Mansen
    Double check you typed it in correctly. I initially made the mistake of typing 'Scale' instead of 'Scale UI' (and that is a zero not the letter o) ;) Oh, and don't forget the final comma after the zero.

I'd like to think years of programming experience would allow me to forgo such simple errors - and I did double check after you asked just to make sure.

What exactly is this supposed to do? Make the screen larger when ingame? Or is there an ingame option I need to toggle afterwards?

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited December 2012
    'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0',

Copy/paste it into Baldur.ini, it makes the icons much crisper. Looks a bit weird when you first boot up on the splash screens but you'll get over it.

Big improvement.
    Post edited by moody_mage on
    Nevermind! Seems it didn't save (or was replaced somehow) the first time I applied it.

Looks great - That's my biggest gripe completely alleviated. The fullHD looks amazing.
    edited December 2012
    @Mansen
    No disrespect intended :) Even with my experience I make silly mistakes. lol

No in game change needs to be made. What it does is make the UI smaller on screen (buttons smaller, etc) It looks more like what BG1 Tutu looks like. However, menus look smaller too and have quite a bit of unused screen space below them.

Edit: Yay! Glad you got it working!

@decado
    By the way, your cut-n-paste neglects the final comma. ;)

@Mansen
    No disrespect intended :) Even with my experience I make silly mistakes. lol

None taken - and likewise. That last post could have used a smiley at the end :)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    @WabbitTwaks
    I was just testing you... <.< >.>
  • scruplesscruples Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2012
    Now they just have to add this as an ingame option....actually I just tested it and while it does fix the UI (which I have no gripes about now), the zoom feature is still causing some blurrrrrr on my 1920x1200 screen, Devs we need a nearest neighbor mag filter!
  • ChetChet Member Posts: 64
    @BENVILHAVEN have you seen this .ini fix? put this into your baldur.ini file: 'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0',

I'd love to see a screen shot with this fix. Anyone try it at 3240x1920 or 5760x1080?
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    Photo of the 1920x1080 non scaled! Not sure how to insert image yet...
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7505/baldr019.jpg
    [IMG]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7505/baldr019.jpg[/IMG]

SupernomeChet
  • joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    edited December 2012
    Magevil said:

Photo of the 1920x1080 non scaled! Not sure how to insert image yet...
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7505/baldr019.jpg
    [IMG]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/7505/baldr019.jpg[/IMG]

Very nice @Magevil May I ask how you changed the GUI to a more Baludr's Gate 2ish look?
    Supernome