Skip to content

E.T.A. for MacOSX version?

Comments

• PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    It will be as always: a late Mac version, which will run smoother than on any PC!

Seriously, I don't mind waiting until the Mac version is bug-less.
  • ElessarElessar Member Posts: 44
    edited December 2012
    Jolanthus said:

When did this become available for mac? Or are you using a bootcamp to run it?

Bg and moo2, be still my nostalgic heart.
    Nope, no Bootcamp, just downloaded it and it's worked great right away through 3 games so far. No patches, no nothin, just running in OSX 10.8 (they say you need at least 10.6.8). I have no idea when it became available but I'm glad I found it to fulfill my previously frustrated nostaglic gaming needs.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/master_of_orion_1_2
    Jolanthus said:

<blockquote

• comatorycomatory Member Posts: 30

@Comatory Grimrock is coming to the Mac imminently BTW. I wish I'd picked it up for $4 during the recent sale; luckily the winter one is not too far off.

Cool! Didn't know that. Will buy it then (save files could be imported I guess).

• psullipsulli Member Posts: 4
    > they say you need at least 10.6.8

Huh, I hadn't even considered that. I'm running 10.6.8. I hope that they don't dump support for 10.6.8 if it has been extended to 10.6.8.
  • PhillUpPhillUp Member Posts: 10
    To all of those who think about running this beautiful game on there Mac with Parallels ... do it! I don't get it why so many people are yelling, that it won't work and that you shouldn't try it.
    I'm running BG EE in Parallels 8 with Win 8 on my MBP and everything works fine!
  • KnolandKnoland Member Posts: 206
    I can't make myself Buy Windows... just can't...
  • XzeulonXzeulon Member Posts: 10
    b/c parallels costs extra $$$ that some people dont want to spend.
  • RecilRecil Member Posts: 46
    My macbook would cough up a kidney if I tried.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    Knoland said:

I can't make myself Buy Windows... just can't...

I agree!
  • ChurchOfBooChurchOfBoo Member Posts: 82
    It would be like taking a dump on your Mac.
  • PhillUpPhillUp Member Posts: 10
    I have to use for some programs from my university, which are for Windows only, so I need it besides OS X and I also get Windows for free, because of that^^
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Why would you pay for parallels when VirtualBox is free and works just as well?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Parallels sucks.

-----

Anyway this is pretty annoying. I'm wanting to play multiplayer with my sister but nooooooooo...
  • comatorycomatory Member Posts: 30
    Illydth said:

You still need a copy of Windows for VirtualBox - I don't know about you but I do not have any extra copy laying around (I'm a Mac user after all). Even if I had it, why going through the hassle of setting up virtual machine? I'd just do a bootcamp install - the size of it is the same as in case of VM and it is contained in its own partition. Plus, the game will run natively - I HIGHLY doubt that there would be no issues in VirtualBox, it has problems with many games.

I'll just wait for a nice OS X version, I only hope they'd add cloud saves right from the start - not because of iPad but because I have another Mac (a laptop) which would be great when travelling and keeping up with the game.

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Illydth said:

They did a nice job with Virtualbox, but it is nowhere as nice as Parallels. The VBox video drivers aren't as good, and it doesn't have Coherence mode (makes windows apps float on the Mac desktop as if they were Mac apps).

I like running it in a VM because it is really easy to switch between full screen BGEE and my regular desktop (peeking at the Dudleyville walkthrough). I don't know how the BGEE full screen mode will work on the Mac, but Dragon Age will not let me switch out of the game without quitting.
  • pl1ghtpl1ght Member Posts: 7
    Illydth said:

Yeah, sorry, VBox does not work as well as Parallels. It might for BG, but not for everything else gaming wise under windows.
  • max787max787 Member Posts: 18
    I caved :( Currently installing it via Parallels! Now I need to buy the game twice...
  • Jemand84Jemand84 Member Posts: 11
    pl1ght said:

Illydth said:

Yeah, sorry, VBox does not work as well as Parallels. It might for BG, but not for everything else gaming wise under windows.
    It does not work properly. Full Screen doesn't work in VirtualBox. The old BG games don't resize to the window borders.
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    Its now out on Ipad, hopefully Mac's not too far behind
    Much faster than I could have hoped for! this means that the team has all focus on OS X!! :) perhaps a weekend of bug squashing and next week sometime we have it?
  • ygolonacygolonac Member Posts: 3
    Now I have iPad version, I am completly sure that I'm in need of a Mac version and save game sync.. COME ON! :P
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    Knoland said:

Much faster than I could have hoped for! this means that the team has all focus on OS X!! :)

Not quite, they still have to get it running on the iPad 1. But hopefully this means they can bring most people over to finish the OS X version.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    I'm trying so hard not to buy it and install it in crossover.
  • Korevas17Korevas17 Member Posts: 57
    @drawnacrol My advice would be to save your money. Most of the people here on the forums (including myself) haven't had the best of luck with crossover on bgee. Sounds like parallels + windows 8 is working just fine though.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Bootcamp :P
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Given the Intel chipset issues, I'm curious about how well it will work in Bootcamp compared to Parallels. Bootcamp probably runs pretty generic video drivers, while Parallels is running a compatibility layer on top of the fined tuned OSX drivers.
  • RecilRecil Member Posts: 46
    You can head over to the windows side to see what a lot of people are dealing with on that front.
  • XtopherXtopher Member Posts: 9
    Looks like a rocky start on the PC and newer iPads, so it's probably a good thing in the end that the mac version isn't here. I find myself pondering why I'm waiting instead of simply playing the original PC version in Parallels from GoodOldGames.com for $10. Old bugs or new bugs... take your pick! :)

But I have to admit this is exactly the situation that mac users find over and over. When the Mac version finally arrives, it costs more than the PC version does, is missing all the add-ons, and all the action in the community is over. Many mac users will just buy the PC version and run it in something like Parallels, and that only skews the sales results to further show that Mac sales are low, thereby creating less and less incentive to develop and support. The way the platform is treated by many developers, it's no surprise.

So I wish these guys the best of luck, but It's becoming the same old trust issue. Missed ship dates, no communication about it, and then even my iPad 1 isn't supported. I'm not angry or anything, it's only a game after all, but this is exactly the kind of pattern from companies that inevitably drives away sales. For instance, I realize that an iPad 1 version is minimum of a month away, if ever, and the Mac version longer than that. I'm no longer paying any attention, so when they do come out I won't notice and they will loose two sales. That adds up.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    edited December 2012
    @Xtopher if Beamdog treated the Mac like most developers, we'd be getting a BG: EE port next summer (or never), it would not contain any new DLC since released, and the price would be inflated.

We're getting treated like royalty compared to other developers.
    Post edited by FuzzyPuffin on
    I don't remember reading anywhere that Mac OS X client is over a month away?
This discussion has been closed.