Skip to content

Why there *Shouldn't* be a planescape torment enhanced edition

ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
edited December 2012 in Off-Topic
I should start this off by saying I am a massive fan of planescape: torment, the planescape setting in general, and have really enjoyed what overhaul have done with BG:EE.

Having said that, I really don't think there should be an enhanced edition for planescape torment.
This is not due to it being perfect _ I'm sure we can all agree than the user interface was kinda clunky, the graphics kind of blurry, and the combat kind of meh.

But Planescape torment's strongest point was it's storytelling. And to me, Torment seems like such a tightly written story, that adding new content seems almost sacrilligeous, and would end up diluting the setting further away from its (admittedly self-indulgent) exploration of philosophy and the human mind.

Regardless of how well intention or well written the enhancements are, I can't help but think they would only detract from the author's original intentions.

So, I'm all in favour of enhancing baldurs gate, and maybe later IWD, but I think I would draw a line at PS:T.
Post edited by Coriander on

Comments

• MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Well the good thing is the chances of EE of Torment happening are about zero!
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    I dont know how possible PS:T EE would be considering inExile now has the rights..
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    ajwz said:

Having said that, I really don't think there should be an enhanced edition for planescape torment.

I'm not listening! I'm not listening!
    A.k.a. I could kill you right now.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Messi said:

Well the good thing is the chances of EE of Torment happening are about zero!

And you got to this estimation by... ??

P.S

Trent once said that Beamdog already have the source code of PS:T
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited December 2012
    Well, Enhanced does not necessarily involve new content, or changing the plot in any way.. I agree IE games don't actually need enhancing. I'd like something else instead: FFIX, Gold Box, Ultima and Arcanum.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Hmm. Just found this online - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-03-chris-avellone-blesses-inxiles-planescape-torment-successor

Looks like some kind of "spiritual successor" is in the works. Whether or not this would make a PS:T enhanced edition more or less likely is not commented on. InExile have trademarked "Torment", which could lead to difficulties.

Spiritual successors are difficult. Some do well - Bioshock seemed a good successor to System Shock though less complex. Some change everything as Fallout 3 did, and while the result can be satisfying it is a totally different experience to the original. I trying to think of a really bad one, but the bad ones don't really stick in your mind.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Corvino said:

I trying to think of a really bad one, but the bad ones don't really stick in your mind.

Dragon age? :p
  • OssoryOssory Member Posts: 56
    I agree on the part where you're against interfering in the story of the game - there should be no new content. However, as you yourself noted, the interface could use some lifting. So basically I'd like to see an EE of P:T but without expanding the plot, only cosmetic changes.
  • OssoryOssory Member Posts: 56
    I just realised it would look a bit weird when abbreviated - P:T:EE ;D
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Ossory said:

I just realised it would look a bit weird when abbreviated - P:T:EE ;D

P:T:EE = Please Turn End-to-End (With very poor punctuation)?

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

@mch202

Planescape: Torment has *huge* potential for enhancements other than merely a better engine and such.

Just take Sigil's remaining city districts for example; the Market Ward, Guildhall Ward and of course the Lady's Ward would all make excellent additions for an EE. Another possibility would be to include the remaining eight factions (Athar, Bleack Cabal, Doomguard, Fated, Fraternity of Order, Free League, Harmonium, Mercykillers, Sign of One, Transcendent Order) and make them joinable for the Nameless One. Even simply deepen the already joinable factions with new quests (the Godsmen's secret project comes to mind) would work nicely as well.

Not to mention adding all content which were scrapped back to the game, such as the romance with dead-drop-gorgeous Fall-from-Grace and her mysterious "unlockable" diary.

One addition I'd especially like to see is the Priest class unlocked for the Nameless One. Aola, Hargrimm the Bleak and Fall-from-Grace for example could be trainers for the priest class.

I posted this a couple of month ago in another thread. But my stance of as to why there *should* be a planescape torment enhanced edition remains unchanged.

@Ossory I think a better abbreviate would be P:ET. It could stand for either "Planescape: Enhanced Torment" or "Planescape: Endless Torment". Both titles would be very accurate, giving the story.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    It could be: Enhanced planes: Improved Scapes: More Torment.
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    there should definitely be a p:t enhanced, even if only the engine is updated! and what`d be the problem with getting the original author to write more content...
  • AlesthesAlesthes Member Posts: 46

@mch202

Planescape: Torment has *huge* potential for enhancements other than merely a better engine and such.

Just take Sigil's remaining city districts for example; the Market Ward, Guildhall Ward and of course the Lady's Ward would all make excellent additions for an EE. Another possibility would be to include the remaining eight factions (Athar, Bleack Cabal, Doomguard, Fated, Fraternity of Order, Free League, Harmonium, Mercykillers, Sign of One, Transcendent Order) and make them joinable for the Nameless One. Even simply deepen the already joinable factions with new quests (the Godsmen's secret project comes to mind) would work nicely as well.

Not to mention adding all content which were scrapped back to the game, such as the romance with dead-drop-gorgeous Fall-from-Grace and her mysterious "unlockable" diary.

One addition I'd especially like to see is the Priest class unlocked for the Nameless One. Aola, Hargrimm the Bleak and Fall-from-Grace for example could be trainers for the priest class.

I posted this a couple of month ago in another thread. But my stance of as to why there *should* be a planescape torment enhanced edition remains unchanged.

@Ossory I think a better abbreviate would be P:ET. It could stand for either "Planescape: Enhanced Torment" or "Planescape: Endless Torment". Both titles would be very accurate, giving the story.
    I entirely agree with this.

There's no need for an Enhanced Edition to alter or deviate from the original content. You can just add totally optional parts to it (as it is already with BG:EE, btw...) and at the same time give a much needed improvement to UI, graphical presentation and bug resolution.
  • MasonguitarMasonguitar Member Posts: 35
    The UI and graphics need an Overhaul big time. The first time I ever played it was from GOG 3 months ago and my eyes hurt alot. Gratefully I found a widescreen mod that sorta helped. ANyway I think all the great classics need Enhanced/Revised/Updated, etc
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I would buy a Torment EE without a second thought. Bugfixing alone would be worth it. Maybe complete the questlines that are in the code but were never completed, some of them just need to have the trigger dialog attached to the intended NPC...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'd be fine with PS:T being brought into modern code so that I could play it natively on my computer. I never played it but I always wanted to (but then could never find it).
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The original Torment was pretty bugged. The first time I played I couldn't complete the game because of the famous cannon bug... The game would crash straight to desktop when I fired the second cannon...
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    If its actually true that Beamdog has the original art assets, it would be feasible for them to render everything in HIgh Definition resolutions.
    That would be quite awesome, actually...
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think what they have is the source code, not the art assets.

I don't know that any of the actual art assets are still intact...
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    P:T-HD
    'Nuf said. :D
  • AlesthesAlesthes Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2012
    Aosaw said:

On a side note, this makes me wonder sometimes... They made the best cRPGs in history and then what the hell did they do with the art assets? Threw them into the trashcan? -.-
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Aosaw said:

Ahh, I see..
    Maybe I read source code somewhere, and a wishful part of me translated it immediately back as art assets.... :)
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @Zafiro EA said "no" to us doing Ultima =( I <3 Ultima...
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

ANY fan of EVERYTHING EVER have always been afraid of their favourite franchise being RUINED FOREVER by expansions, reboots, movie versions, videogame versions, enhanced versions, etc...

That doesn't actually mean that it will happen. A long time has passed since the '80s, and when something is rebooted, nowadays, the new version is usually handled by fans (or at least people who respect the original) and turns out to be AWESOME: Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, Batman movies, Dr Who, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, the very same Baldur's Gate, etc...

Anything that is any less than PERFECT can be improved.

"Calm down, will you? Everything is going to be fine."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDj7gvc_dsA

I just wasted my entire lunch checking out the epic rap battles after you posted this one. Pretty hilarious!
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Corvino said:

Hmm. Just found this online - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-03-chris-avellone-blesses-inxiles-planescape-torment-successor

Looks like some kind of "spiritual successor" is in the works. Whether or not this would make a PS:T enhanced edition more or less likely is not commented on. InExile have trademarked "Torment", which could lead to difficulties.

Spiritual successors are difficult. Some do well - Bioshock seemed a good successor to System Shock though less complex. Some change everything as Fallout 3 did, and while the result can be satisfying it is a totally different experience to the original. I trying to think of a really bad one, but the bad ones don't really stick in your mind.

Since InExile has trademarked "Torment", I'd go with Planescape:Aggravation. Either that or Planescape: Irritation
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    @ajwz, The argument that they shouldn't do it because they could ruin it... sorry, but that just doesn't make any sense. On the same account they shouldn't have done Baldur's Gate II...

There's not even anything wrong in introducing new content. Players will be here to judge the quality of the enhanced released. The original Planescape: Torment will forever remain intact and protected from any tampering. What is unacceptable is to insinuate that an enhanced edition of Planescape: Torment could in any way or capacity ruin the legacy of the original game. That is just not possible. it can't. Casablanca wasn't ruined by a generation of B romantic drama movies.

What we should hope is that it honors it. You, I -- all of us -- will have plenty of opportunity to voice our desires of what we should feel an enhanced edition of Planescape: Torment should be if and when development starts.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    Nathan said:

@Zafiro EA said "no" to us doing Ultima =( I <3 Ultima...</p>

Just one more reason for me to put my boot into EA's rotten mouth :)