Skip to content

Metal heads.

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2012

Oh and about the pop music thing being catchy and metal isn't so.....; the essence of metal music is the guitar drivin RIFF. Which by nature is catchy....go listen Iron Man by black sabbath, and see if it will ever get out of your head again :-) they invented it.

@BrightNight I meant in terms of vocals. I agree that the almighty guitar riff is the most catchy thing ever. But as a singer, I like to hear catchy vocals on top of it, ideally. A lot of metal bands lack a good vocalist, even if the entire rest of their lineup is fantastic.
    Ruckus3 said:

Dude, please don't be a dick in my thread. Seriously, I really don't want this to turn into something big. You're a Christian who thinks all metal heads are assholes, that's fine. Since that's the case next time you see a thread with the title "Metal heads" don't even open it up. Now please, don't start any more shit.

@Ruckus3 I apologize for being so blunt. I did not mean to group you in as a "huge asshole." I said most metalheads are, I didn't mean to imply that you or anyone else in this thread was, as these forums tend to be fairly mature. Furthermore I should've stated my stance more clearly, instead of using lazy words like "most." I believe there are plenty of good-natured metalheads, but the immature, loud, judgmental, elitist ones stick out more than the nice ones.
    Ruckus3Aristillius
  • eltonbarreleltonbarrel Member Posts: 262
    someone like NILE? i like it. can i put more than one metal band?
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2012

I was brought up with the 80's and 90's metal bands. Right now I mainly listen to just Fear Factory now. I like the futuristic sound of their music.

Primarily early 90' for me. Guess I went thru all available sub-metal schemes, but I enjoyed lots of those epic/melodical stuff (Rhapsody..) went down to speed/death metal and finally got my destination in folk/lyrical/black and to the lesser a very specific German Black(?) metal band named 'Eisregen'.
    I think the pendánt would be Burzum, but the lyrics aren't that sick in one way and they don't burn churches....but if you do understand the lyrics, they do hit you hard :P (like RAMMSTEIN)
    [edit: if you understand the lyrics..they are more than sick ^^]

Oddly, their best songs are indicated in Germany, so we have to go to Austria and alike, cause there exist no such limitation. I live in such a wonderful (fucking stupid state) that I can't even watch some youtubes, posted by ppl..cause then the almightly 'that shit is not approved by fucking sony music' hits you hard....

That aside; am currently in black/pagan-metal (since roughly 7 years) and Iron Maiden ever since :)
  • Ruckus3Ruckus3 Member Posts: 73
    Quartz said:

Oh and about the pop music thing being catchy and metal isn't so.....; the essence of metal music is the guitar drivin RIFF. Which by nature is catchy....go listen Iron Man by black sabbath, and see if it will ever get out of your head again :-) they invented it.

@BrightNight I meant in terms of vocals. I agree that the almighty guitar riff is the most catchy thing ever. But as a singer, I like to hear catchy vocals on top of it, ideally. A lot of metal bands lack a good vocalist, even if the entire rest of their lineup is fantastic.
    Ruckus3 said:

Dude, please don't be a dick in my thread. Seriously, I really don't want this to turn into something big. You're a Christian who thinks all metal heads are assholes, that's fine. Since that's the case next time you see a thread with the title "Metal heads" don't even open it up. Now please, don't start any more shit.

@Ruckus3 I apologize for being so blunt. I did not mean to group you in as a "huge asshole." I said most metalheads are, I didn't mean to imply that you or anyone else in this thread was, as these forums tend to be fairly mature. Furthermore I should've stated my stance more clearly, instead of using lazy words like "most." I believe there are plenty of good-natured metalheads, but the immature, loud, judgmental, elitist ones stick out more than the nice ones.
    Quartz, if I could shake your hand I would. You have gained an immense amount of respect from me.
    Thank you, sir.
    Quartz
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Ruckus3 You are welcome, I am glad you are a forgiving sort instead of a bitter sort. Thanks! =)
    No worries pal. See guys, that's how you end a disagreement without trolling. Be kind, please rewind. Somethin like that.
    QuartzAristillius
  • egalor_originalegalor_original Member Posts: 92
    Manowar, Helloween, Stratovarius.
    Ruckus3
    @ruckus3
    you have my respect dude.
    Ruckus3
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Nightwish. I'm sad Nightwish and Annette went their separate ways =( Floor is nice though, I liked her when After Forever was still around. I wonder if she will stick with the band indefinitely or leave once their tour is over. Opeth is another longtime favorite. Does A7X count?
    Ruckus3
    The way I see it, if you think it's metal, it counts. Personally I never got into Avenged Sevenfold, but most of my friends freakin love them. One kid has the batskull thing tattooed.
    Night_Watch
    well. here is my secret. i tattoed years ago justin bieber on my back.....
    Ruckus3
    How many years ago..? Isn't the kid like 16?
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    You know what I think is the funniest things about when people argue what is and isn't "metal"?

The term originated in the 60's in refence to bands like "The Byrds."
    Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple were considered heavy metal bands in their era.
    AC/DC and Queen have been called "traditional heavy metal acts" in their heyday.

So next time someone argues "That's not metal," punch them in the mouth and break a few teeth loose. I'm told "true" metalheads like that kind of display of "brutal" power and they should quit their backtalk.
    eltonbarrelRuckus3QuartzAristillius
  • GloktaGlokta Member Posts: 97
    I miss Nightwish /w Tarja.. :(
    Sabaton has been running on my playlist alot latly tho (fits good with my obsession for WW2 movies... :x )

• gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    edited December 2012

Btw. nobody calls "death metal" "thrash metal" or "black metal" true metal. There is a genre that calls itself "true metal", but thats not my kind of music.
    And black metal and satanism is a bit complicated. Early bands were using the imagery of satanism to provoke. Other bands are openly "satanistic" even though, there is no satanistic belief like christianity, some satanists believe in self fulfillment, instead of limiting yourself (like christianity proposes), other satanists believe in some sort of chaotic unseen power and another kind just hates the church or religion in general and use the symbols to mock them.
    Most black metal bands use satanic or satanistic lyrics/appearence because it is a tradition. If you don't like it don't complain, and ignore it.
    Btw. Metal heads are one of the most openminded people you will find, and when was the last time you had a drink with a band member of slipknot korn etc.? Last time I had a drink with a metal band was 4 weeks ago, with graveworm. Hell a friend of mine once played table football with wintersun.
    Post edited by geselle on
    @sandmanCCL is a really pleasure to learn your lesson. thank you very much. probably kilometers are between us, but i feel you so near. thanks to all metal community.
    i think metal is a great amount of people that don't uinderstand why the world has that rules.
    i think metal is a man who know why the world is so full of dust and try a method to improve world's survival. it is a certain amount of prople that can really see and speak , through story times, why we are so useless.

i think metal is a great amount of people that don't uinderstand why the world has that rules.
    i think metal is a man who know why the world is so full of dust and try a method to improve world's survival. it is a certain amount of prople that can really see and speak , through story times, why we are so useless.

That, or it's blast beats and break downs.
    @Ruckus3
    well, i think if metal is a point of view.
    if now it is a blast beats and break downs, well,i think because it is a "necessity".i think metal is useful in every form , started in early 60's and in constant motion through musical story.
    i think it is strictly influenced by classical music: Niccolo Paganini , Beethoven , Bach. so we can see that metal travel turough years.
    It was a joke. Some metal bands (like Meshuggah) are so freaking technical its mind blowing. Try to keep up with their time signatures, and how often they switch them up in a song. That and I think it's like almost anything else, some people could have been influenced by the late greats, but some people just wanna bang on their drums all day. (See what I did there?)
    Ruckus3 said:

It was a joke. Some metal bands (like Meshuggah) are so freaking technical its mind blowing. Try to keep up with their time signatures, and how often they switch them up in a song. That and I think it's like almost anything else, some people could have been influenced by the late greats, but some people just wanna bang on their drums all day. (See what I did there?)

yeah yeah i know, don't worry dude ;)
    but question is:
    why some people needs to bang on drums? why we reach this "level"?

anyone is reading about this post is absolutely free to answer!!!! thanks to all!!

you want technical finesse? listen to necrophagist and viraemia or obscura. meschuggah is a joke compared to those guys.
    eltonbarrel
    geselle said:

you want technical finesse? listen to necrophagist and viraemia or obscura. meschuggah is a joke compared to those guys.

wowwwwww!!!!! greatttttttt!!! necrophagist german death !!!!!!! ruuuuuuuleessss!!!

geselle said:

Hell yeah, I'll have to check them out.
    geselle said:

Dude, their song names are almost as creative Cannibal Corpse.
    Quartz
    Check out obscura.
    Getting ready to, just have to offline the songs on grooveshark first.
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    Trivium. Not really their latest cd, but I loved Shogun and Ascendancy. They are pretty smart about their music...screaming until you are just about sick of it, then giving way to clean melodic vocals.

I don't get why people hate on them. Usually its dumbasses that like trash metal like High on Fire or some band that screams non stop along to music with no discernible beat.

I also like Scar Symmetry (their first 3 albums)

I hate anything played on the radio. Its all completely weak trash. All That Remains has become one of the biggest disappointments for me after going soft.
    geselle said:

Check out obscura.

Dude, all I have to say is ANTICOSMIC OVERLORD!!
    Seriously though, they're freaking brutal.
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    I was never a fan of the really "brutal" metal, like Death metal, and prefer metal with more harmony and melodies. This isn't to say that still don't enjoy heavier sounds, like Dimmu Borgir, Slayer or Lamb of God, but I never got into Death Metal. To me, it just sounds heavy with no substance. Like it's trying to hard or something.

The Metal band that steered me away from alt and hard rock and into metal, was Metallica - that was back in like '92. Later I got into bands like Anthrax, Megadeth, Fear Factory and Slayer, but it wasn't until I discovered Prog, like Dream Theater and Symphony X, and that is what I really enjoy.

From there, I found Power and Symphonic Metal, like Sratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Manowar, Edguy, Epica and Nightwish, which just expanded to my preferred genres. My favorite bands now are probably Dream Theater and Stratovarious. On the heavier side, I enjoy a lot of the oldies - Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, Nevermore, Sepultura, Iced Earth, Megadeth, etc. as well as newer bands - 3 inches of Blood, Shadows Fall, Lamb of God. When it comes to more "brutal" sounds, I enjoy Meshuggah and Dimmu Borgir. I am also a big fan of Rush, KISS, Zeppelin, and Alice Cooper.