Skip to content

My cat saved my life

szbszb Member Posts: 220
Never used familiars even once before. After casting the spell they always went straight into the bag and stayed there for the rest of the game, untill today.

While I was running around in terror from failing to save against a horro spell, my mighty kitty killed the enemy mage by herself, surving so much damage that would have easily killed me.
SCARY_WIZARDAristilliusSilverstarDeltaslayerlunar[Deleted User]BelgarathMTHCalmarXivirielBaldursCatchebmehGeorgeZbadbromanceSophiaCaptRoryEnialusMeliamneAron_TimesSilysarevok57The_New_RomanceDragonspearScooterMoomintrollJalilyOxford_GuyCoM_SolaufeinDrugarNukeninARKdeEREHKolonKuKirinaldoSyntia13zarffynegalor_originalRerelRaistlin82SchneidendtheoricusArchaosartificial_sunlightValchistGodKaiserHellReadingRamboAntonSirK8NonnahswriterrdarkenMoradinNifftEudaemoniumButtercheese

Comments

• BlackIvoryBlackIvory Member Posts: 75
    lol nice.
    I have a pseudo-dragon as a familiar and it basically takes in space in my inventory as well. Never found much use for it
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Hah! That's terrific! :D

I too am paranoid about getting my familiar out much in BG due to having so low hitpoints on the low levels in which the game takes place. I've even been thinking I shouldn't have summoned it in the first place; the extra hit points are nice but I'd much prefer my inventory slot.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Cat is supposed to be a master scout, with excellent hide/move silently skill, so use it. Pseudo dragon is very tough, with best AC and attack rate of the familiars, but suffers from critical hits a lot. In BG2 it had sleeping claws that killed everything in BG1 easily. They've ommitted the sleep effect on hit it seems. Still useful for distracting enemies. Though mine died to Nimbul's magic missiles. (he paid dearly for that) Now I've suffered a CON loss my new familiar sits in my pack too. Shame.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    How do you put your familiar into your bag?
    Brer_Rabbit
  • szbszb Member Posts: 220
    Awong124 said:

How do you put your familiar into your bag?

Talk to your familiar and there will be an option, you can also pet him/her :-)
    Awong124Silyfranco
    Awesome, thanks!
    Just discovered that my cat even gets x2 backstab damage...kitty just got twice as dangerous :-)
    badbromancelunarsarevok57lolien
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473

Hah! That's terrific! :D

I too am paranoid about getting my familiar out much in BG due to having so low hitpoints on the low levels in which the game takes place. I've even been thinking I shouldn't have summoned it in the first place; the extra hit points are nice but I'd much prefer my inventory slot.

I'd prefer the familiar for the +12 HP. At least while it's in your inventory it provides you with a bonus, so it's not just taking up space without providing any benefits.
    Illustair
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    I like the Ferret myself. It can pickpockets. And is almost as good at stealth as the cat...and can detect traps.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Familiars are very useful at low levels - they've usually got 18-24 HP depeding on the familiar and most have a passable AC. I found a link which lists some basic stats for BG2 familiars, think it holds true to BG:EE: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/familiars.php
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Nuts, I've yet to find a'Find Familiar' scroll, a familiar would be really useful now whilst my bard can only cast magic missles, shame it won't be a cat though as I'm playing chaotic good.
    Sophia

Nuts, I've yet to find a'Find Familiar' scroll, a familiar would be really useful now whilst my bard can only cast magic missles, shame it won't be a cat though as I'm playing chaotic good.

Nimbul, the assassin who attacks you in Nashkel after finishing the mines has one.

BaldursCatEudaemonium
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Awong124, me too.

@szb, a lot of people playing mages are taking Find Familiar as one of their first two spell picks, so that they don't have to wait for Nimbul. Mages are now able to leave Candlekeep with 20 hit points, and a tanking and, in some cases, spell-casting pet.

The imp even has a polymorph self spell capable of taking forms that can defeat Firebead Elvenhair while in Candlekeep.
    Awong124
    szb said:

Nimbul, the assassin who attacks you in Nashkel after finishing the mines has one.

Hmm. Know I had the spell before that though. I checked High Hedge, but it's not from there. Maybe sold at the Nashkel Carnival?
  • Or choose it as one of your first spells if you are making a mage Charname

@Awong124, me too.

@szb, a lot of people playing mages are taking Find Familiar as one of their first two spell picks, so that they don't have to wait for Nimbul.

Yeah I always take it when I'm playing as a mage, unless I'm a sorcerer.
    BelgarathMTHlolien
    Is the alignment-spesific familiars a pen & paper thing, or is it just an IE game mechanic?
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    I wish a mage could choose his familiar as in nwn, I'd love a cat-familiar, but I'm legal good :(
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @szb, the ability to start the game with Find Familar without wasting a precious permanent spell slot, is a huge plus in the plus column for mages vs. sorcs. I agree. I also pick Find Familiar for a first spell whenever I roll a mage or a mage multiclass.

Is the alignment-spesific familiars a pen & paper thing, or is it just an IE game mechanic?

It's in the game too.
  • Aron_TimesAron_Times Member Posts: 18

At least in 3e, 3.5, and 4e, you can choose which familiar you get. I prefer cats for my character, regardless of alignment.

Now if only D&D Next would allow wizards to have dog familiars.
    edited December 2012

At least in 3e, 3.5, and 4e, you can choose which familiar you get. I prefer cats for my character, regardless of alignment.
    Oh yes. Use panther/bat/pseudo dragon on my Neverwinter Nights characters. Love having a choice in the matter. That said, I've never had any trouble with the ones I've gotten in BG; ferret/fairy dragon/pseudo dragon, all are awesome and chances are I would've picked one of those regardless. Still, it's always nice having a choice.

Back on topic; you seem to be playing a Thief szb, how is it you have a familiar? Used scroll with that high-level thief ability that lets you use anything?

Edit: Derp. Probably playing a thief/illusionist. Should've thought of that.