Skip to content

Struck by lightning, twice!

My fighter/mage just got *twice* struck by lightning (from the weather, not a spell) on the Valley of the Tombs map within the space of about a minute in real time, she was wearing plate mail at the time - 25 points damage each hit, though luckily she had 50 HP and Viconia managed to cast Cure Medium Wounds in-between! Never had that happen before (not twice, anyway), though I could see the funny side!
GodGrumshabadoo

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I totally forgot that you can be strook by lightning. Of course, I was suprised. Greatly surprised.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Whoa. Luckily this never happened to me. I had no idea it even could happen! O_O
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    edited February 2014
    Lightning strikes can be annoying in BG:EE. So far I have seen them hit myself, hit doppelgangers I am fighting, and someone else showed their screenshot of Drizzt being killed by lightning (s/he ended up getting the xp and the reputation loss for it hehe).
    Most recently, after a very difficult encounter at around level 2 or 3, my brother and I were both near death in our multiplayer game. We were passing out the healing, when suddenly the main character gets hit by a bolt of lightning and we had to go back about 30 minutes of playing...
    Post edited by toanwrath on
    Aristillius
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    While natural lightning seems to strike twice, call lightning seems to only ever strike once for me...
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    This "weather" feature is an unfair no-reload ender, so I always keep "weather" turned off in my game. I would consider it fair if you could possibly take shelter, but you can't. And, if you choose to allow the "weather", you would just have to immediately stop your game, and, I guess, head immediately to a different map, every time it started to rain. I find that unrealistic, phony, and no fun.

I believe that it was originally meant as a kind of joke, but it was poorly conceived, and definitely before the no-reload (or minimal reload) crowd came into existence.
  • HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112
    I got hit at least three times. I think it was the bear river map.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I've seen it a lot over the years, but never once saw any damage as a result of it. So I find it neat to learn that it can injure or even kill. Makes sense that it should.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

This "weather" feature is an unfair no-reload ender, so I always keep "weather" turned off in my game. I would consider it fair if you could possibly take shelter, but you can't. And, if you choose to allow the "weather", you would just have to immediately stop your game, and, I guess, head immediately to a different map, every time it started to rain. I find that unrealistic, phony, and no fun.

I believe that it was originally meant as a kind of joke, but it was poorly conceived, and definitely before the no-reload (or minimal reload) crowd came into existence.

If anyone cared about the no-reload crowd, I'd assume they'd probably not have included the opportunity to randomly encounter six bandits.

Surrounding you.

With bows.

Whilst you were travelling to the Friendly Arm Inn.

Enjoy your new character!

Honestly I remember anyone in my party being hit with lightning all of once, and it was Kagain, so nobody cared.
    NokkenbuerStorytellerleeux
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    I have heard rumors that if you piss off Umberlee, it happens with startling regularity.
    Fredjo
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418

If I recall correctly (which I often do not) the lightning didn't do damage originally - just scared the crap out of you - I think the damage was added somewhere along the way from BG1- TOB but have no idea where/when.

lunarQuartzBelgarathMTHmeagloth
    edited December 2012
    @Wanderon You remember correctly. The damage was introduced in EE as far as I can tell. I never really understood why that feature existed to begin with...
    as to why they introduced damage well... you get hit by lightning; you would think it would hurt a lot. That's probably why they put the damage there. Unless they knew the old way was incorrect somehow. I don't know...
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    There is definitely damage in BGII; I'm unsure if it's with ToB installed or not. I only ever got hit by lightning -once- and I've always assumed it was like a one-in-a-million chance, so I was sure to screenshot it... the log anyway, couldn't react in time for the lightning bolt itself :) It wasn't something I really needed right after fighting that liche in the hidden room at the tavern. Luckily I was allready in the process of healing so the bolt struck me down to like 7 hp rather than killing me. Phew.
    edited December 2012
    I don't even remember if I ever got hit in BG2. Probably why I didn't know that...
  • PinkRosePinkRose Member Posts: 102
    Got hit by Lightning for the first time today.
    Scared me half to death.
    Poor Jaheira.
    She shouldn't have been wearing that metal armour.
    dstoltzfusPscion
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I wish it would hit Khalid every time he starts to stutter when you click on him.
    Oxford_GuyMortianna
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Oh, I just love these lightning surprises. Right after the last killing blow in the fight with Zargal and company south of High Hedge, poor Viconia got fried by a bolt of lightning. I about jumped out of my chair when it happened, followed by laughing at myself. :D
    sarevok57
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    In my case poor CHARNAME was toasted to acrisp right by two lightning bolts after he finished cleaning the Nashkel mines. He never knew pest control could be so dangerous ;)
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Do they really kill you? I remember at least in the original BG that Lightning just wasted time.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Dazzu said:

Do they really kill you? I remember at least in the original BG that Lightning just wasted time.

I received 25 points of damage per hit!
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    They say that the chance of getting hit by lightning is greater than the chance to win the lottery. I'd say: buy a ticket!
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Buy two! (the lottery is a tax on people who are bad at math... ;-) )
    TressetArdul
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    Have you helped the priestess of Umberlee or the fishermen?
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Have you helped the priestess of Umberlee or the fishermen?

No, have not done those encounters yet
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    It's scary, but not nearly as much as in Minecraft for some reason XD

For me it was *always* on the area north of the Gnoll Stronghold. >.<
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    They say that the chance of getting hit by lightning is greater than the chance to win the lottery. I'd say: buy a ticket!