Skip to content

[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited December 2012
    @cryocore since when giving an opinion is being "the lowest form of forum scum deserving ban". @Kaeloree didnt offend anyone, he even noticed @Archaic work is excellent, in which nobody here doubt. He just said that branding himself in main screen, while beeing only a modder, is a bit out of place. I partially disagree with him, since if logo will be optional (about what we still didn't hear anything) then i have nothing against it - i will just skip it. I just agree with @jaysl659 that main screen should be place for game logo, in which we are going to play. Otherwise Skyrim with 100 mods would have 100 mini logos while logging into it. I just believe that since @Archaic care about making everyone happy, he will just release version with and without logo, and everyone will be contented.
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    edited December 2012
    Archaic Border Preview for BETA 6 - Slimline Design:
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'll definitely use this slimline design when I'm rolling my next Druid! =D
  • cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    Oh I do like that border. Would it be possible to replace the header pic with a top border? Essentially replacing the "tile" with a border? That way it wouldnt mess with the placement of the windows. I know you said it would be difficult, but am I wrong in assuming that altering that would be relatively minor.
    Forgive the appalling rushed photoshop, but I mean something like this.

Either way all is looking grand. Keep up the good work it is appreciated.
    @cryocore - Its totally possible it just raises a lot of other issues I haven't worked out yet. It's actually something I've been playing around with but I haven't found the solution that works for all the different screens, resolutions and settings. Thanks for your input.
  • SarnindSarnind Member Posts: 256
    this mod is fantastic!
  • Michel889Michel889 Member Posts: 13
    Yeah, continue the awesome work you've been doing so far!
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Everything looks fantastic so far, to be honest I don't think this is a beta anymore-it feels pretty much complete now.

About the issue with the Archaic logo...to be honest I can see where both sides are coming from. I actually find it pretty attractive, but maybe you could get rid of the words 'GUI mod'? They just look a little out of place next to the logo and the background.
    edited December 2012
    @Tome - I can see why you might think its almost done but its far from final in my eyes. I appreciate your feedback.
    Fair enough-you're obviously the only one who can tell how finished the UI is!

Just out of interest, what do you feel is unfinished about the UI at the moment?
    @Tome - There are various screens that are still blue for starters. Overall I'm not happy with the look and feel of the UI. It needs more polish and optimization. You'll see what I mean when you see the changes implemented in BETA 6.
    edited December 2012
    Can't wait in that case. :) To be honest, I haven't noticed any blue screens lately except for character creation, which could do with an overhaul. That might just be because I've been spending most of my time modding.
    edited December 2012
    If I could make this GUI exclusive for non-scaled settings I could really make this thing look AMAZING. Including centered screens, full borders, larger interface screens, and much more. The scaled options really limits what I can do. I'm almost debating making it non-scaled compatible only. Who uses the scaled setting and why?
    edited December 2012
    @Tome - what mod are you doing? I maybe have 50% of the game redesigned as far as screens go...all major screens are done. Just ask @Etamin - he has been asking for awhile now when all the screens are going to get done.
    Maybe I could keep beta 5.5 avail to scaled setting users and start on an exclusive non-scaled gui. I feel like I'm limiting myself by keeping my mod compatible with scaled setting when I don't even use it. As long as some sort of forum riot doesn't break out over this...we non-scaled setting users maybe in for some amazing gui features in the near future. :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Archaic if you go that way, don't forget to make the installer check for the neccessary .ini change and add it if not present or you'll be flooded by people saying the UI doesn't look right ;)
    @Archaic My mod's just an item pack, focusing on adding balanced magical items. Nothing anywhere near the scale of your creation! The only complicated part is a talking sword.

As for the scaling UI, I agree but it might be a good idea to wait to implement that-I'm pretty sure the current non-scaled GUI is only a beta, and it would be awful if you did a lot of work on the UI only for it to change. At least check with one of the mods first. :)

Yeah I wont go exclusive non-scaled at this point.
  • Notepic4Notepic4 Member Posts: 27
    The Silver buttons look awesome, can't wait for beta 6!
    @Archaic Maybe you could consider doing a non-scaled version after release of the final version.. a 2.0 version maybe? :)
  • RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59
    I don't know how it's done right now(mod wise I mean) but you could try asking overhaul to expose what option is being used(scaled or non-scaled) to the GUI mods and then just have yours fall back to beta 5.5 if scaled is selected.

It shouldn't be that much work on their part and they stated that they wanted to help the modding community improve the game. Your GUI mod is very popular and liked so I think your request would at least carry some weight.
    The problem is they said that the non-scaled option is a beta. If you create a non scaled exclusive version now and they add functions as autocentering, for instance, you'll have to completely redesign it... again.

It could be a good idea to wait to make a non-scaled exclusive when Overhaul declares the non-scaled option is final and no longer a beta feature.
  • RasekovRasekov Member Posts: 59
    edited December 2012
    I agree, but those are 2 unrelated problems.

Even when the non-scaled is final you will still need some way to identify it and adjust the mod accordingly. Given that, you might as well ask for that functionality now that they are still working on that area instead of waiting for it to be finished before giving feedback. It's kind of the point of betas, to iron out bugs and find what needs to go away or be added.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Archaic said:

If I could make this GUI exclusive for non-scaled settings I could really make this thing look AMAZING. Including centered screens, full borders, larger interface screens, and much more. The scaled options really limits what I can do. I'm almost debating making it non-scaled compatible only. Who uses the scaled setting and why?

@Archaic
    :( I'm unable to change mine to non-scaled, changing the .ini doesn't do it for me for some reason so I've had to continue using the scaled. I'm running BGEE on a 1366x768 laptop, but as the UI is scaling up from 1024x768, there should be an at least somewhat noticeable difference for me when I change the setting in the ini, but there is not.

Also, from reading the Big Screen Beta thread and other comments about it, it seems that a lot of people find that it makes everything too tiny/hard to see.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @cryocore I've been told that you received a warning about your post regarding @Kaeloree, which I'll be deleting at this point. Comments like that are not welcome here and you will be banned if it happens again.
    New screenshots for Archaic Custom Inventory for BETA 6 coming soon....
    edited December 2012
    BETA 6 will have a much more refined look with less busy backgrounds, cleaner overall appearance, less bhaal skulls, and various UI optimizations. The release on BETA 6 is undetermined at this point. I'm guessing another week or two until release.
    edited December 2012
    New design concepts coming soon.
    Post edited by Archaic on
    edited December 2012
    Removed comment...check out new screenshots below.
    Post edited by Archaic on
This discussion has been closed.