[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    Damn, concept 6 win ! =p
    ArchaicElectricMonk
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    edited January 2013
    ***IMPORTANT***
    If you utilize Enhanced or Classic Brown Inventory please let me know. I'm thinking of dropping these inventory options in BETA 6. Personally I don't use them and rarely hear of anyone else using them. In order to improve and expand the mod I need to make necessary changes that are going to effect compatibility with Enhanced and Classic. If there is enough of an out cry to keep them I will consider converting them over to become compatible with BETA 6. This will be a great deal of work on my end so please consider carefully. The inventory options that will be available in BETA 6 are Archaic Custom Inventory with and without artwork options. Thanks.

Example of the new Archaic Custom Inventory for BETA 6: http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5732/archaicinventoryconcept.jpg
    A few optimizations will be done to this version but you get the general idea...
    neoesprit
  • BeastmanBeastman Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2013
    @Archaic:
    have you tested with long characternames? i tested with my character in beta 5 with various inventory screens and if you have long character names, the first letter overlaps the left border of the inventory screens. My character is names Shrinkle Rab'Rhun'zel (21 letters). Please test new inventory screen if long names overlap with left border or class /kit name to the right. Thank you. Keep on the good work!
    ArchaicElectricMonk
    @Beastman - Thanks for the suggestion. I will test longer names for BETA 6.
    Another thing I noticed is that there seems to be a bug with the console command. Not sure if it's cause of your UI. Worked fine until 5.5 and now I have difficulties to enter some command in it.
    Archaic
    @neoesprit - I've already got that resolved for BETA 6. Thanks.
    edited January 2013
    @Sylvus_Moonbow - As it looks right now classic brown and enhanced wont be available with B6. If you want to stay with B5.5 you could do that. Unless you like the new B6 ACI screenshots? Thanks.
    edited January 2013
    ACI for BETA 6 (in-game screenshot):
    Very close to final version. Might do some minor tweaking. Let me know what you think... Thanks.
    Post edited by Archaic on
    ElectricMonkneoespritErg
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    ^^ looks great!
    Archaic
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    The bag seems a little out of place. I could be just that I don't like the bag image - in fact I think that is it.
    ElectricMonk
    Balquo said:

The bag seems a little out of place. I could be just that I don't like the bag image - in fact I think that is it.

Yeah the bag has always bugged me but seriously I'm not sure it's a big deal ... this new inventory screen just rocks ^^

Archaic
    edited January 2013
    @Balquo - Yeah, I'd love to get rid of the bag image completely but its hard coded into the inventory for the weight stat. Besides the bag do you like the design?
    @neoesprit - Thanks - I've been testing it tonight and it feels really nice when your using in-game. I love it!
    edited January 2013
    ACI B6 - Adjusted bag color to match other icons:
    @Balquo @Neoesprit - is this better? I think so...
    KamigoroshiElectricMonkErg
  • AK47AK47 Member Posts: 28
    really nice Archaic
    Archaicschneckk
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    @Archaic Any way to make the weigh stats more visible in the bagless ACI B6? Perhaps via some sort of unique leather border/background? Currently they are kind of hard to find for people with bad eyesight.
    ouch you got rid of the bag nice one ! =D
  • cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    @Archaic its looking really good, but its still REALLY brown. Brown background, brown border, brown panels, brown offset, brown frames. To me it doesnt at all fit the BG aesthetic. Is there any way of injecting some more color in there? Something that uses more of the in game palette. I like the re-toning of the vines, but look at how the green on the armor pops. IMO it needs some additional color in there.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    I like it a lot! Good job!
    ArchaicElectricMonk
    @Kamigoroshi - The font for the weight stat is not something I can change at this point - hard coded. Getting rid of the bag was very tricky and hard to accomplish. I will keep searching for a solution to a larger font for the weight stat but as of right now I don't see anyway.

@neoesprit - Heck yeah! It's looking good.

@AK47 - Thanks!
    @cryocore - I don't want the colors to pop. It just creates distraction and many people don't like colorful busy backgrounds. I did inject green outlines and different shades of brown for contrast. I'm happy with the colors and look. Thanks.

@Blaquo - Glad to hear it! :)
    DarksheermlneveseErg
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited January 2013
    @Archaic Yes, I'm aware of the font issue. What I tried to suggest is to make them more visible in different ways. Such as adjusting the borders or background of the current weight stats' place.
    Archaic
    edited January 2013
    @Archaic. Its just my opinion, but just have multiple shades of one color just looks wrong to me. Its all browns, with some brown metallics. tbh it looks a bit... well alot bland to me. There needs to be an offset of some sort.
    edited January 2013
    @Kamigoroshi - I understand what you're saying. Sorry, I didn't exactly address it. I really don't see what adjustments could be made to really impact the visibility that much while keep the same color scheme in that area near the weight stat. I'll poke around with it and see if I can come up with something but its a long shot. Thanks.

@Cryocore - Yeah of course there is - we got rid of that back in BETA 4 for a good reason. It's simply too busy and distracting. Sorry man - I'm trying to keep a clean and minimalistic design. As many have perviously stated in this topic: "less is more" and I tend to agree.
    Kamigoroshineoesprit
    edited January 2013
    @Archaic. Fair enough, but as you've removed all the of the artistic flourishes from the original its just a bunch of brown boxes on a brown background. I like the concept, but for me at least I doubt I will be using the inventory mod at all as it really doesnt fit aesthetically with the game. Your work is awesome but this really doesnt work for me, and the more I think about it the less I like it.

Its flawed sure, but this has a "fantasy/DnD" feel. Which yours lacks.
    Kirinaldo
    @cryocore - It might be flawed in your eyes and your entitled to your own opinion. The screenshot you provided has the same basic two tone color scheme just lighter. ACI also offers a variety of artwork options for a much higher scale of color vibrancy. I do see what you are saying and I appreciate your feedback. I will make an honest effort to increase the color a bit and find a balance. Thanks.
    edited January 2013
    @Archaic. Please dont think I am in any way saying your work isnt top notch because thats not the case. Its just when you lose the drawn/painted panels and replace them with textures it looses so much of the feel, its that loss of "artistry" for the lack of a better work that highlights that there is only a limited palette. The original is stone and wood and has an organic feel/look to it, yours is brown textures and is sterile in comparison. Then again I am the only one making this particular point, so maybe I am making a bigger deal about it than it really is.
    @cryocore - all good :)
    edited January 2013
    ACI B6:
    Just playing around with some color and texture to spice it up a bit. Let me know what you think?
    @cyrocore - any better color wise?
    Post edited by Archaic on
    mlneveseKamigoroshiAntonErg
  • ShadowSmugglerShadowSmuggler Member Posts: 44
    Seriously, can overhaul/beamdog hire you? I don't know how you do it, but this latest version is the best yet.
    ArchaicAnton
This discussion has been closed.